PDA

View Full Version : Disturbing thought

gosox41
05-27-2004, 12:46 AM
At my softball game tonight I was talking to some guys on my team who are die hard Cub fans (and in the minority that they know something about baseball.)

There was talk of how the Cubs could very well go after Ordonez if he becomes a free agent. If you think about it, it makes sense. Alou's contract is up after this year and his making in the $9-10 mill range. Ordonez is definitely a better option and can probably move to LF. It would be a huge PR coup for the Cubs to take the Sox best overall player. Lastly, Ordonez has said he wants to stay in Chicago.

There's no guarantee that the Yankees will go after him. The Red Sox probably won't. I don't know if Magglio wants to play in the NL for the Mets or Dodgers, but other then the Cubs who else is there that can afford him?

Bob

OurBitchinMinny
05-27-2004, 12:47 AM
That would be a terrible thing...The sox better sign his ass, or else carlos beltran better be roaming CF next year if ordonez isnt in right.

pearso66
05-27-2004, 12:50 AM
I have to say, if the Cubs signed Ordonez, and stuck him in left over Sammy, that would be a pretty dumb move.

doublem23
05-27-2004, 01:02 AM
Why wouldn't the Red Sox? Hasn't anyone in Boston noticed what kind of numbers he puts up in Fenway?

C-Dawg
05-27-2004, 06:06 AM
Originally posted by pearso66
I have to say, if the Cubs signed Ordonez, and stuck him in left over Sammy, that would be a pretty dumb move.

Ordonez is a much better fielder than Sosa; this fact would become so obvious were Magglio to appear in the OF with Sosa.

Sosa probably ought to move to the AL where he could DH, and concentrate on the one thing that motivates him, which is hitting home runs.

HomeFish
05-27-2004, 07:48 AM
Baltimore has announced that Magglio is their #1 priority. I think he's going to end up there.

Hokiesox
05-27-2004, 08:19 AM
When did Baltimore do that? :?:

samram
05-27-2004, 08:29 AM
Originally posted by HomeFish
Baltimore has announced that Magglio is their #1 priority. I think he's going to end up there.

If they announced that, that's tampering, and I believe the Sox or MLB would be entitled to compensation. Plus I don't know if they're going to add another $14M to payroll after adding about $30M this year.

DSpivack
05-27-2004, 10:18 AM
Originally posted by samram
If they announced that, that's tampering, and I believe the Sox or MLB would be entitled to compensation. Plus I don't know if they're going to add another $14M to payroll after adding about $30M this year.

Especially when their needs rest not in the offense but in the pitching staff.

Irishsox1
05-27-2004, 10:24 AM
I remember a couple of years ago, it was a done deal that Sosa was going to the Yankees. Of course that never happened and until Maggs files for free-agency, I not going to think of him in any jersey other than the White Sox.

Hangar18
05-27-2004, 10:56 AM
this has me privately concerned. If Maggs were on the cubs,
we wouldve been BOMBARDED with Chicago Media stories on
"WHY WONT TRIB RESIGN MAGGS?", Murph wouldve had this as a daily subject on his cub morning show. Unfortuneately,
the MEDIA has helped keep this quiet. I really hope that
doestn happen, would be equivalent of HARRY going north,
a PR coup indeed. A Horrible PR coup for the SOX.

Frater Perdurabo
05-27-2004, 11:19 AM
I too am concerned. The Cubs love to capitalize on former Sox players, announcers, ideas, etc. I'm surprised they haven't brought Fisk up north yet. :angry:

Let's hope that the Sox keep winning and that they work out a long-term deal with Maggs during the season, before he has a monster second half, wins the MVP and leads the Sox to postseason glory.

samram
05-27-2004, 11:23 AM
Originally posted by Frater Perdurabo
I too am concerned. The Cubs love to capitalize on former Sox players, announcers, ideas, etc. I'm surprised they haven't brought Fisk up north yet. :angry:

Let's hope that the Sox keep winning and that they work out a long-term deal with Maggs during the season, before he has a monster second half, wins the MVP and leads the Sox to postseason glory.

I think they will spend their money going after a guy like Renterria because shortstop is going to be a hole for them. They also don't need more right-handed power hitters, and guys like Prior and Zambrano and Patterson, are all going to start becoming arbitration eligible and/or looking for long-term deals. However, if Sammy leaves, then it becomes more of a possibility.

Frater Perdurabo
05-27-2004, 11:27 AM
Originally posted by samram
I think they will spend their money going after a guy like Renterria because shortstop is going to be a hole for them. They also don't need more right-handed power hitters, and guys like Prior and Zambrano and Patterson, are all going to start becoming arbitration eligible and/or looking for long-term deals. However, if Sammy leaves, then it becomes more of a possibility.

Deeppink is for fantasy and Teal is for sarcasm. So what color should I use to indicate a nightmare? Imagine if Maggs could play in a homer-friendly park like Wrigley. He'd hit 50 homers a year, with a higher average and play much better defense than Sammy. The "Sandberg basket" would be worth at least ten taters per year for Maggs. Let's hope that the Sox lock him up long-term and we never have to live such a nightmare. :o:

ode to veeck
05-27-2004, 11:38 AM
Disturbing thought = disturbing thread

the trade rumor mill threads are not decreasing, the subject matter's gettting worse and worse and approaching the sewers at light speed ...

haganaga
05-27-2004, 11:39 AM

Actually, I was at a cubs game a few years ago & Fisk did the 7th inning stretch. A bit disturbing, but understandable I guess given how the team treated him his last year.

samram
05-27-2004, 11:43 AM
[ So what color should I use to indicate a nightmare?

Good question. And you know that as soon as Sammy left, Cubs fans would suddenly acknowledge all his weaknesses, and would embrace Maggs and pretend he had never played anywhere else.

32nd&Wallace
05-27-2004, 12:01 PM
Originally posted by haganaga
Actually, I was at a cubs game a few years ago & Fisk did the 7th inning stretch. A bit disturbing, but understandable I guess given how the team treated him his last year.
You gotta be kidding me??????? Did he get booed?

32nd&Wallace
05-27-2004, 12:03 PM
I don't see this happening....If JR knew the Cubs were a suitor, he would do all he can to keep Maggs....Letting Maggs go to the Cubs is not the same as letting him go to Baltimore...There are heavy PR implications at stake here which could drive a stake through the heart of the Sox in this town.
But with the season Alou is having, why would the Cubs not make an attempt to resign him

iwannago
05-27-2004, 12:06 PM
Originally posted by haganaga

I not a Fisk fan but if I were him I would have done the same. Discretion is the better part of valor!

joeynach
05-27-2004, 12:13 PM
Originally posted by HomeFish

Magglio wont want to switch leagues and have to get know a knew round of pitchers when he already knows the AL ones for 7 years now. Baltimore and Boston are going to go after him. Baltimore needs a right fielded and Boston probably will too. Trot nixon is always injured and Damon and ManRam might not be in boston next year. They will both be offereing Maggs like around 5 years 13 to 14 mil per. Our current offer of 6 years at 11.3 mil per wont cut it. Unless we make it more like 6 years at least 12 to 13 mil per he will walk.

Nard
05-27-2004, 02:31 PM
I thought Maggs hated the Cubs?

Cellview22
05-28-2004, 05:11 PM
One of my friends who doesn't know a whole lot about baseball just called me and said the Cubs got Ordonez. I knew he wasn't joking, because he sounded freaked out. So I go turn it to CLTV, and it's Rey Ordonez..haha. Apparently, he saw that "Ordonez" was in the lineup.

gosox41
01-10-2005, 01:35 PM
Just wanted to bring up an old thread from last May. Thought it may be relevant to what's going on today even if it happened before Magglio's injury.

Bob

balke
01-10-2005, 01:39 PM
I just see Maggs going to the cubs cause they'll offer the most cash. Just for the very reason of sticking it to the southside a little. This is a move that I see blowing up in the cubs faces. He's broken. Every sign he's given has shown he's broken. He's using the intercity rivalry to garner a couple extra mil. We should've dumped him last year, so long maggs, we hardly knew you.

(now we just need to ban steroids so he doesn't go sammy on us)

CHISOXFAN13
01-10-2005, 02:09 PM
I just see Maggs going to the cubs cause they'll offer the most cash. Just for the very reason of sticking it to the southside a little. This is a move that I see blowing up in the cubs faces. He's broken. Every sign he's given has shown he's broken. He's using the intercity rivalry to garner a couple extra mil. We should've dumped him last year, so long maggs, we hardly knew you.

If he goes to the suitor with the most money, I think it will be Baltimore. They have a history of making dumb moves like this so why would nwo be any different?

jabrch
01-10-2005, 02:19 PM
Shouldn't he end up somewhere that he can DH a bit?

Iwritecode
01-10-2005, 02:37 PM

From what I keep hearing, they can't afford Maggs until they get rid of Sosa. I sure don't see that happening anytime soon...

Hangar18
01-10-2005, 02:43 PM
When did Baltimore do that? :?:
The ORIOLES announced that "un-officially" last spring when they began
Pumping " Ooooooo Eeeeeeeeeee Ooooooooo .......OOOOOOOO RIOLES"
in preparation for going after Magglio this season (wheres a Commissioner
when you need one?).

He wont go there,
he'll end up foolishly choosing the Flubs.

Unregistered
01-10-2005, 02:47 PM
Shouldn't he end up somewhere that he can DH a bit? Yeah, that's what I keep thinking, too. Everyone is so caught up in the Flubbies signing Maggs that they forget that he may have a career-altering degenerative knee condition that might not be best suited for running around in the outfield.

I can't see why ANY NL team would want to take a chance on a guy that HAS TO run around for 50% of the game to play his position.

That's not to say they won't sign the guy. They are the Cubs, after all.

Ol' No. 2
01-10-2005, 02:55 PM
Yeah, that's what I keep thinking, too. Everyone is so caught up in the Flubbies signing Maggs that they forget that he may have a career-altering degenerative knee condition that might not be best suited for running around in the outfield.

I can't see why ANY NL team would want to take a chance on a guy that HAS TO run around for 50% of the game to play his position.

That's not to say they won't sign the guy. They are the Cubs, after all.Don't confuse Hendry with the doofus fans. He's a pretty sharp cookie. Anyone who can pull off a trade for Nomar for a bunch of spare parts is no dummy. He might talk to Boras, but there isn't going to be any ink on paper without a full medical examination.

Unregistered
01-10-2005, 03:17 PM
Don't confuse Hendry with the doofus fans. He's a pretty sharp cookie. Anyone who can pull off a trade for Nomar for a bunch of spare parts is no dummy. He might talk to Boras, but there isn't going to be any ink on paper without a full medical examination. That's true - I'm referring more to all the media hoopla surrounding the Cubs' pursuit of Maggs without ANY mention of his ailments.

Ol' No. 2
01-10-2005, 03:20 PM
That's true - I'm referring more to all the media hoopla surrounding the Cubs' pursuit of Maggs without ANY mention of his ailments.Or even any mention of the fact that they're not actually interested.

Sad
01-10-2005, 03:32 PM
:shammy

<mental note>
don't leave cash bag in lobby, ballgame early, and add

:maggs
to Eminec scroll...

gosox41
01-10-2005, 03:47 PM
Yeah, that's what I keep thinking, too. Everyone is so caught up in the Flubbies signing Maggs that they forget that he may have a career-altering degenerative knee condition that might not be best suited for running around in the outfield.

That's not to say they won't sign the guy. They are the Cubs, after all.
Exactly. They may see it as a PR move.

Bob

Unregistered
01-10-2005, 03:47 PM
Or even any mention of the fact that they're not actually interested. Ha! Even better...

It would be a Cub-loving sportswriters wet dream to be able to sign a .330 hitting, 40 hr, 120rbi Magglio from the White Sox. Best of luck with that, fellas. :cool:

zach074
01-10-2005, 04:14 PM
If the Cubs get him i may have to cry.:whiner:

Frater Perdurabo
01-11-2005, 09:05 AM
I still think Maggs would be smart - and the Rangers would be smart - if he signed with Texas to DH. Have you seen his splits in Arlington? (Yes, I know, small sample size...)

.405 AVG., .468 OBP, .762 SLG, 1.230 OPS

The Rangers need a DH to bat cleanup amid their lineup of Young, Soriano, Teixeira and Blalock. If healthy, he likely would put up monster numbers and parlay that into a huge free agent contract next offseason.

DumpJerry
01-11-2005, 01:08 PM
Don't confuse Hendry with the doofus fans. He's a pretty sharp cookie. Anyone who can pull off a trade for Nomar for a bunch of spare parts is no dummy. He might talk to Boras, but there isn't going to be any ink on paper without a full medical examination.Don't give him so much credit on that deal. Nomar had become a cancer in the BoSox clubhouse (sound familiar?) and the team needed to unload him and his negative attitude towards the team and some of its players (hmmmm......) Also, which of the two teams involved in the deal had a more successful post-season record last year?

Now, back to the A.J. comparisons.........................:D: Nomar did not become a cancer in the Flubhouse and, with the exception of Mr. Me The Great Sensitive One, he seemed to have been welcomed by the other 23 guys on the roster.

hold2dibber
01-11-2005, 01:20 PM
The ORIOLES announced that "un-officially" last spring when they began
Pumping " Ooooooo Eeeeeeeeeee Ooooooooo .......OOOOOOOO RIOLES"
in preparation for going after Magglio this season
They've been playing that cheer in Baltimore for years, not just last year (they played it in '01 when I was there).

Soxforlife
01-11-2005, 01:37 PM
I really think(hope) he will end up in Detroit. They have made it public that they want him and with the exception of Percival they really haven't made any moves this year. They always have money and want someone to take it. Also I think they will do something like they did with Pudge last year. Boras was Pudge's agent and is Maggs... last year the deal with Pudge had a certain umber of AB's built into it to ensure he's healthy and that way they could go more money with Maggs which could be more enticing. Plus I don't think Maggs is dumb enough to go to the circus that is the North side, and with Boras Maggs will go for the money.

jake27
01-11-2005, 01:38 PM
:chunks

please no more maggs to cubs:(:

petekat
01-11-2005, 03:12 PM
As a long time follower of the O's- Mags makes sense for the O's. And basically, he'd be put out to pasture there, since the O's arent going anyhwere- would be a lot like the ALbert Belle and Javy Lopez signings. Bringing in another recognizable name.

Mags wont be getting anything close to $14M. More likely one yr, $5-6 mill with incentives.

And if he goes to the Cubs, so what? The Sox are still better off.