PDA

View Full Version : Minor League move could prove to be good

MRKARNO
05-26-2004, 11:18 PM
http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/cws/news/cws_news.jsp?ymd=20040526&content_id=753138&vkey=news_cws&fext=.jsp

Minor move: Right-handed pitcher Eduardo Villacis was claimed off waivers from the Royals on Wednesday. Villacis, 24, was 2-0 with a 2.67 earned run average in eight games with Double-A Wichita. The 6-foot-2, 170-pounder has a 28-8 record with a 2.49 ERA and five saves in 139 career minor league games (33 starts).

Villacis was optioned to Double-A Birmingham. The White Sox 40-man roster now stands at 39.

You never know. He might be able to help us in a year or two. The way our fifth starter situation is going, he might even get a call though he fared terribly in his major league stint with KC. He got the start in Yankee stadium so maybe he really isnt that bad as it looks ala Neal Cotts.

SEALgep
05-27-2004, 09:55 AM
Well it's not as if he's costing us much, so why not take a chance. Especially if it eliminates a team in our division to be able to have that same chance. Pitched well in AA.

DSpivack
05-27-2004, 10:16 AM
Why'd they waive him?

sas1974
05-27-2004, 10:23 AM
Originally posted by DSpivack
Why'd they waive him?

That's what I was wondering. Why in the world would the Royals, with their current pitching woes, waive a young guy w/ numbers like that?

Rex Hudler
05-27-2004, 02:24 PM
Originally posted by sas1974
That's what I was wondering. Why in the world would the Royals, with their current pitching woes, waive a young guy w/ numbers like that?

the only thing I can think of (not knowing their 40-man roster and system) is that they added him to their 40-man when he got called up to make the spot start and something necessitated them needing to free that spot back up. In that case, he would have to clear waivers before being outrighted back to the minors.

sas1974
05-27-2004, 02:44 PM
Originally posted by Rex Hudler
the only thing I can think of (not knowing their 40-man roster and system) is that they added him to their 40-man when he got called up to make the spot start and something necessitated them needing to free that spot back up. In that case, he would have to clear waivers before being outrighted back to the minors.

If that's the case, then cheers to KW and the gang for snagging one from the bad guys.

jabrch
05-27-2004, 04:02 PM
KCs pitching is such a disaster that this surprises me. Anyone know anything about this guy?