PDA

View Full Version : Chris Berman called us the worst fans in baseball

Realist
05-26-2004, 11:15 PM
Just saw the guy on CLTV say Chris Berman told him that because of our behavior at the All-Star game last year, we're the worst fans in baseball.

CyYoung5621
05-26-2004, 11:16 PM
Oh well. Never expected to hear him say we are the best.

BeerHandle
05-26-2004, 11:17 PM
Originally posted by Realist
Just saw the guy on CLTV say Chris Berman told him that because of our behavior at the All-Star game last year, we're the worst fans in baseball.

Berman is a fat, washed up, piece of crap! All he did was rip on our fans and our park.

HomeFish
05-26-2004, 11:17 PM
Strange. I was quite proud of our behavior last year.

Whitesox029
05-26-2004, 11:18 PM
I'm watching CLTV as well, and when I heard this, I lost the remainder of what little respect I had for Chris "I NEED TO STICK TO FOOTBALL FROM NOW ON" Berman as a baseball man.

ND_Sox_Fan
05-26-2004, 11:18 PM
On the CLTV post-game show, Lou Canellis informed viewers that Chris Berman thinks Sox fans are the worst in baseball. Apparently Berman told him this after he called the game at the urinal last week.

Berman sited the All-Star booing and the fights in the bleachers as reasons ... what a pinhead. :angry:

MRKARNO
05-26-2004, 11:19 PM
How the hell were we the worst fans in baseball bc of the all-star game?????

What did we do that was so terrible Berman?

Brian26
05-26-2004, 11:24 PM

Did someone refuse to serve him any more churros after the 7th inning?

santo=dorf
05-26-2004, 11:24 PM
I was just going to post this. I remember A-Rod saying we were some of the best fans while he was announcing the home-run derby. :?:

Jeremy
05-26-2004, 11:26 PM
Originally posted by Whitesox029
I'm watching CLTV as well, and when I heard this, I lost the remainder of what little respect I had for Chris "I NEED TO STICK TO FOOTBALL FROM NOW ON" Berman as a baseball man.

LOL he is even worse at hockey, I know it seems impossible.

beckett21
05-26-2004, 11:31 PM

Yeah, and he's the most annoying tv personality in baseball.

:whocares

illinibk
05-26-2004, 11:43 PM
Originally posted by beckett21

Hell, I'm having a hard time thinking of a more annoying TV personality period.

beckett21
05-26-2004, 11:45 PM
Originally posted by illinibk

One point for your side.....

:)

Saracen
05-26-2004, 11:51 PM
He's also a prima donna. Just try to approach him for a word - I dare you, try it. Hope you like getting your head chewed off.

doublem23
05-26-2004, 11:54 PM

:whocares

Agreed... I think he may have referred to that fact that we booed our manager and the Cub All-Stars when they were announced. Sports reporters apparently took offense to that.

beckett21
05-27-2004, 12:13 AM
Originally posted by doublem23
Agreed... I think he may have referred to that fact that we booed our manager and the Cub All-Stars when they were announced. Sports reporters apparently took offense to that.

At least that gives a somewhat rational excuse. I still think he's full of it though.

Philly hands down. They boo Santa Claus. (Ok, that may be the Eagles fans, but still....same fan base.)

Santa Claus > Jerry Manual.

Case closed.

doublem23
05-27-2004, 12:15 AM

Santa Claus > Jerry Manual.

Case closed.

Post of the Week! :D:

MRKARNO
05-27-2004, 12:21 AM
Manuel deserved the booing and if the all star game was played in the bronx, wouldnt you expect Piazza and whoever else might make to the team to be booed? It's like we don't have the right because we're not from NY. What a freakin joke. I hope the Houston fans boo the Cubs players too. Wasn't Belle booed in Cleveland when he made the all star team for us? Berman....what a freakin joke.

Jerko
05-27-2004, 12:26 AM
Chris Vermin is a blow hard. Nothing more, nothing less. He lucked into his job 15 years ago with his cutesy remarks, and unfortunately for the rest of us he never went away. And if you guys think he sucks on any Sportscenter show, he completely and totally RUINS, and I mean obliterates, the NFL Hall of Fame show. He is the worst.

OEO Magglio
05-27-2004, 12:28 AM
He's an idiot and I remember him ripping on the our fanbase after the game. I honestly never liked berman and don't think he's funny at all and has absolutely no talent.

OurBitchinMinny
05-27-2004, 12:49 AM
Buck Ferman...what a fat ass clown. Urinal fans are the worst by far

chisox06
05-27-2004, 01:26 AM
Back Back Back...yea that was funny when I was about 10.

WhiteSox = Life
05-27-2004, 01:35 AM
Yeah, well, Chris Berman is the biggest fan in sports...

Ah, screw it. Berman sucks.

StillMissOzzie
05-27-2004, 02:04 AM

That would be the manager that finally got fired at the end of that year, so I'd say we were demonstrating our wisdom. If he doesn't get Sox fans booing the Scrub All-Stars, too bad.

Berman is a tool. He stupid nicknames quit being funny at least 10 years ago, and his "Swami" routine is no better. Don't let the door hit you in the a$$ on your way out of town.

SMO

DMarte708
05-27-2004, 02:04 AM
Chris Berman, is by his own definition, old school. In his mind, fans with class would never boo opposing players at an All Star game.

I've heard all the discussions about how uneccessary it was of Sox fans to boo their rivals and manager, but I believe this hatred Berman has towards us goes deeper. The playoffs in 2000, for example, Chris made a big fricken deal out of a few fans leaving the game early. It wasn't comparable with the exidos Dodgers fans are known for, but regardless he decided to bash us.

TDog
05-27-2004, 02:49 AM
... because of our behavior at the All-Star game last year, we're the worst fans in baseball.

That is an incredibly stupid reason to call us the worst fans in baseball.

We're incredibly negative. We will use any excuse to boycott our team's home games. Some of here seem to delight in watching the team fail because they dislike the ownership. That doesn't make us the worst fans in baseball. But all of those would serve as better reasons for the the assessment.

Berman is not only stupid. He isn't even trying.

A.T. Money
05-27-2004, 03:14 AM
Originally posted by Saracen
He's also a prima donna. Just try to approach him for a word - I dare you, try it. Hope you like getting your head chewed off.

I met him in Hawaii 9 years ago. He was at the same resort as my family in Maui, and we sat next to his family at the pool. We BS'd sports for hours. He was extremely down to earth and even took pictures with people if they asked him.

I have a photo with him at the pool, with an autograph. I liked Mr. Berman.

SSN721
05-27-2004, 06:55 AM
You mean Chris "You Can Put It On The Board.........Gone" Berman? He is an idiot that is merely a caricature of his former self. I really dont like him much beyond football. BUt whatever, I really dont cae what he says about us anyway either, who at ESPN doesnt hate Chicago's other team and thier fans? Other than maybe Greenberg.

davenicholson
05-27-2004, 07:51 AM
Originally posted by DMarte708
Chris Berman, is by his own definition, old school. In his mind, fans with class would never boo opposing players at an All Star game.

If, in Berman's mind, "old school" fans don't boo the opposition (All Star game or not), he either has a very poor memory of his youth or he is a liar. As a kid, I could respect and envy the Yankees of the 1960s, but that sure as heck didn't stop me from booing the b*st*rds!!! :D: I remember attending a Sox/Cub game at Comiskey in the 60s (of course, they were just exhibition games back then). J. C. Martin, who by then played for the Cubs, hit a homer, and the scoreboard went off!!!! :?: Holy moley, I was dumbfounded. What the heck was going on? Other than the Yankees, the Cubs were the most visible incarnation of evil in my young world, and I booed them with all of my old school heart. Still do.

PaulDrake
05-27-2004, 08:55 AM
Philly hands down. They boo Santa Claus. They didn't just boo Santa Claus. They pelted him with a barrage of snowballs. Believe me, when Philly fans are in the mood, you ain't seen nothin' like them anywhere.

habibharu
05-27-2004, 09:04 AM
:whocares screw that fat piece of crap

Railsplitter
05-27-2004, 09:08 AM
Originally posted by PaulDrake
They didn't just boo Santa Claus. They pelted him with a barrage of snowballs. Believe me, when Philly fans are in the mood, you ain't seen nothin' like them anywhere.

Chet Coppock used to say "Philadelphia fans are so tough, when there's no game, they go to the airport to boo the bad landings." I've unloaded the line on Eagles fans in chat rooms and got a LOL's out of it.

Palehose13
05-27-2004, 09:15 AM

UGH. But the Yankee/Met "love to hate" relationship in NY is cute. Let's not forget the coined phrase "Bronx cheer". Oh yeah...we're really bad.

You know what I have to say to Berman? BOOOOOOO!

THE_HOOTER
05-27-2004, 10:17 AM
At the 1983 All-Star game at Comiskey Park,

Leon Durham and Lee Smith were booed heavily.

iwannago
05-27-2004, 10:22 AM
Maybe he reads the posts on WSI?

jackbrohamer
05-27-2004, 10:53 AM
I've always been impressed with how Berman can announce the Home Run derby while having his head planted so far up Sosa's butt.

Tekijawa
05-27-2004, 11:01 AM
Originally posted by illinibk

Bill Walton
Chip Cary
Isaih Thomas
Dick Vital
Tom Arnold
Jim Roam
Rosie O'Donnel
Carson Dailey

DSpivack
05-27-2004, 11:13 AM
Originally posted by Tekijawa
Bill Walton
Chip Cary
Isaih Thomas
Dick Vital
Tom Arnold
Jim Roam
Rosie O'Donnel
Carson Dailey

Bill Walton takes the cake, bar none.

Hondo
05-27-2004, 11:19 AM
That's ridiculous. An all-star game isn't a true representation of the fans that inhabit it since most of the ones at big events like that are yuppie idiots or executives who wouldn't know a baseball from a miter saw.

Berman has become a charactirure of himself. I don't mind him though. He's harmless like the weird uncle who says inane things at Thanksgiving.

Most annoying TV personality in sports- Bill Plaschke on Around the Horn.

ode to veeck
05-27-2004, 11:40 AM
should this one be in the parking lot!?! as in actual fact, anything involving Chris Berman has nothing to do with baseball or the Sox

rmusacch
05-27-2004, 11:50 AM

Because we booed his butt buddy Sham-me?

32nd&Wallace
05-27-2004, 11:57 AM
Berman is a Red Sox fan. Makes no attempt to conceal such loyalty. What I'd like to ask him is if he had the same opinion of Red Sox fans when they booed Roger CLemens heavily at the 1999 All Star game. Or were they just being passionate for their team!

SoxFan76
05-27-2004, 01:47 PM
Originally posted by Hondo
That's ridiculous. An all-star game isn't a true representation of the fans that inhabit it since most of the ones at big events like that are yuppie idiots or executives who wouldn't know a baseball from a miter saw.

Berman has become a charactirure of himself. I don't mind him though. He's harmless like the weird uncle who says inane things at Thanksgiving.

Most annoying TV personality in sports- Bill Plaschke on Around the Horn.

I didn't even think about that. How many people there do you really think were Sox fans? I'm sure it was a good amount, but how many rich business men and tourists were there?

Bottom line, Jerry deserved to get booed. He had some incredible talent to work with, and he couldn't do anything with it. I thought booing him would show how passionate we are for our team, even though they haven't been to the World Series since 1959. Not like Cub fans who scream for Sammy and praise everything about their team even though they are known as the "Loveable Losers".

Also on CLTV, they took a call from "Joe" I belive, and he started talking about media bias. Was that someone from this site?

steff
05-27-2004, 01:49 PM
Well thank God he doesn't read here then....

:whiner: :whiner: :whiner: :whiner: :whiner:

Lip Man 1
05-27-2004, 02:08 PM
Berman also ripped Sox fans on the air during the 9th inning of #2 of the 2000 ALDS, when the fans were leaving in droves after seeing the Sox stink up another one to Seattle.

He was asking 'this is the team that's led all of baseball in runs scored per game. They are only down four runs...that's just bad!' and so on.

Obviously if Berman would show up in Comiskey Park more then once every three years (he didn't return until the 2003 ASG) he'd know the reason why fans were leaving in the 9th inning.

It's called nine straight home post season losses dating back to 1959.

Lip

keninem
05-27-2004, 02:12 PM
This has been touched on by others..but just because the ASG was at Comiskey, why does he assume that there weren't more than their fair share of Cubs fans there? Is the cross-town drive too long? :?:

MeanFish
05-27-2004, 02:20 PM
It's time for us to bury the hatchet with the media. They love the Cubs. So what? While we keep fighting it, our players keep doing their talking on the field. Isn't that what really matters?

I was watching the ESPN highlights from last night's game, and saw Rowand gun down Matthews again. That one single moment spoke louder about our team than any of us could.

We have the best record in Chicago.

We have the best record in the AL Central.

The truth is, the media is fairly guarded about the White Sox since we had a pretty sweet deal last year and managed to blow it. We'll have to win something real this year for them to pay us some respect. Only four teams last year won postseason series. In an amazing coincidence, those very same four teams are the four most covered teams in baseball right now.

This year, we don't have what is perceived as such a sweet deal (losing Colon and Gordon a postseason contender isn't supposed to make.) and we're performing better.

This time last year, nobody knew about the Marlins. Nobody cared. They were that team that Pudge went to that had been terrible in past years.

This year, it looks feasible for us to pull that very same sort of magic off.

Don't buy into the hype that our pitching can't handle playoff hitting.

Don't buy into the hype that our hitting can't handle playoff pitching.

The Cubs were seriously outmatched against the Astros, as we expected. The Twins were outmatched against the Sox, which kind of surprised us (you can admit that you secretly thought we were going to get spanked at the Metrodome. I did. It's ok.)

Don't worry about the media. What are you afraid of? Don't worry about if the Cubs win. Worry about if we don't.

ewokpelts
05-27-2004, 02:22 PM

Funny,
But I was watching This Week In Baseball clips on mlb.com from the asg...and Dontrelle Willis saying how great the fan intereaction was at the asg.
Gene

ewokpelts
05-27-2004, 02:24 PM
Bill Walton
Chip Cary
Isaih Thomas
Dick Vital
Tom Arnold
Jim Roam
Rosie O'Donnel
Carson Dailey

At least walton's insane..or high....
Gene

jabrch
05-27-2004, 04:07 PM
Bill Walton
Chip Cary
Isaih Thomas
Dick Vital
Tom Arnold
Jim Roam
Rosie O'Donnel
Carson Dailey

Ron Santo

skobabe8
05-27-2004, 04:39 PM
Originally posted by SSN721
You mean Chris "You Can Put It On The Board.........Gone" Berman? He is an idiot that is merely a caricature of his former self.

LMAO!! I remember that. :D:
What kind of fans would we be if we cheered the cubs and our generally disliked manager at the ASG? FRAUDS! Thats what. The ASG is a national audience kind of forum. To think sox fans would puss out and pretend to love everything and everyone just because the almighty national press is in our ballpark--because they have to be, not want to be--is borderline nuthouse.

Chris Berman....HE GAWN!!!!

Originally posted by PaulDrake
They didn't just boo Santa Claus. They pelted him with a barrage of snowballs. Believe me, when Philly fans are in the mood, you ain't seen nothin' like them anywhere.

They also cheered when Michael Irvin had that neck injury and was carted off the field.

soxdave
05-27-2004, 06:16 PM
Who really cares what Boomer says. Berman is lousy
at baseball. All the East Coast teams ESPN covers have
nasty rivalries, and I am sorry the fans act a lot worse.

Yankees vs Red Sox- You betcha. When I was in NYC
for the WSOX series in April, the bars were flooded with anti
boston signs and souvenirs.

Also a ton of anti Mets sentiment. There were some
grandfather types booing the hell out of Timo Perez
and calling him a bum and some other choice words.

It took my brain awhile to click, but Ahh yes, former
Mets Player, former big Mets prospect.

So don't tell me it's not OK to boo the itsy bitsy Cubbies
and a lousy underachieving manager, because it is.

The fighting I can do without. It does happen everywhere,
even at the beloved urinal and it's unfortunate.

Berman didn't have enough sense to say anything when
Limbaugh made his loaded comment about Mcnabb on the
football show..

He Gone

bigdommer
05-27-2004, 07:06 PM

What kind of fans would dare boo their rivals?

Realist
05-27-2004, 07:15 PM
Originally posted by bigdommer
What kind of fans would dare boo their rivals?

We don't buy into the whole "loveable losers" thing so we're very bad people.

RedPinStripes
05-27-2004, 07:47 PM
Why? because we boo-ed anyone wearing a Cubs hat? because we boo-ed our own manager as the 3b coach? Because any division rival was boo-ed?

That's all justified. Berman dont understand the Sox/Cubs thing one bit. The reason why Sox fans have become so vulgar to anyone on a field with flubby blue is because the way their jagoff fans throw everything in everyone's face.

And Jerry Manuel ran this team right to second place with terrible managing. Just because berman likes to lick Kerry Wood's ass dont mean Sox fans have to.

Keep announcing football for the dumb along with Madden you fatass has-been no talent ********. :angry:

Nick@Nite
05-27-2004, 08:06 PM
Originally posted by Saracen

If so, he'd have more brains in his stomach then in his head.

Nails
05-27-2004, 08:10 PM
Is there anyone who isn't sick of Berman's pointlessly melodramatic glorification of baseball and sports in general? Baseball is a game, not some holy, sacred entity that must be revered and worshiped. It's just a game for people to play, watch(and boo if it pleases them), and get a competative thrill for a few hours a day.

emaholic
05-27-2004, 09:46 PM
Screw what that jackass thinks. Anyway, in the words of OK Go, he needs to GET, GET, GET, GET, GET OVER IT!

markp8867
05-27-2004, 10:18 PM
Originally posted by keninem
This has been touched on by others..but just because the ASG was at Comiskey, why does he assume that there weren't more than their fair share of Cubs fans there? Is the cross-town drive too long? :?:

I was at the All-Star Game and there were several Cubs fans around where I was sitting. When Maggs, Carl, and Esteban were introduced, they booed our guys just as much. Most of the fans booing Jerry Manuel it seemed were Cubs fans, not Sox fans at least around me. It was all in fun though.

There were fans from many teams there and I only heard very good things about the park and the Sox fans from these other fans. Even the Cubs fans I talked to liked the park. Berman should do a little research before opening his big mouth!

RKMeibalane
05-27-2004, 10:22 PM
Chris Berman can go **** himself. If he honestly thinks Sox fans are the worst in baseball because we booed opposing players at the AS Game, then he's out of his mind. The man needs to get a clue. He also needs to stop creaming himself over every single San Francisco 49ers highlight video.

TornLabrum
05-27-2004, 11:40 PM
Originally posted by RKMeibalane
Chris Berman can go **** himself. If he honestly thinks Sox fans are the worst in baseball because we booed opposing players at the AS Game, then he's out of his mind. The man needs to get a clue. He also needs to stop creaming himself over every single San Francisco 49ers highlight video.

It's not as if Sox fans (or at least the people who attend games at The Cell) don' t give him and others in the media an excuse to brand us the worst in baseball. The Tuesday Night Fights is just the latest in a series of black eyes we've given ourselves.

As my dad was fond of saying, "It takes two to tangle" (as opposed to tango). If the Sox fans don't resort to the verbal taunting of the idiots that show up in Cubs gear, and if they don't get so tanked up they lose whatever inhibitions they have, none of this **** happens.

We keep setting ourselves up for this stuff...and we oblige the media who are ever so willing to report on our indiscretions.