PDA

View Full Version : Hawk says you don't know baseball.

MikeKreevich
05-26-2004, 09:15 PM
Anyone else hear Harrelson's comment during tonight's broadcast. I can't quote exactly but he said that you can watch baseball for forty years and you (meaning the fans) don't know anything.

Jerry_Manuel
05-26-2004, 09:18 PM
I don't think he meant that to be an insult to fans, as I'm sure some will take it as.

I believe he meant that no matter how much baseball you've watched or played, there is always something new that can be learned. That's just the way I took it.

doublem23
05-26-2004, 09:21 PM
I kind of agree with him. Unless you've played at the highest level of the game, I don't think you can truly understand everything. I only played breifly in high school, but there was so much "behind-the-scenes" crap there, I can't imagine what they do at the pro level.

Brian26
05-26-2004, 09:21 PM
Yeah, I heard it the same way as Manual did. I don't think Hawk meant to talk down to the fans, but he did get very stern when he said it...

:hawk

"...and you really don't know a damned thing."

SEALgep
05-26-2004, 09:23 PM
Originally posted by MikeKreevich
Anyone else hear Harrelson's comment during tonight's broadcast. I can't quote exactly but he said that you can watch baseball for forty years and you (meaning the fans) don't know anything. He also said he doesn't know either. He said that's the beauty of the game, that no one knows. He even stressed that everyone can have an opinion. Way to mislead what he said.

Jerry_Manuel
05-26-2004, 09:25 PM
Originally posted by Brian26
Yeah, I heard it the same way as Manual did. I don't think Hawk meant to talk down to the fans, but he did get very stern when he said it...

:hawk

"...and you really don't know a damned thing."

Yeah he mentioned watching the game for 40 years, which sounds like something Murph would say on the Score. I just pretended Hawk was talking directly to Murph. :D:

MikeKreevich
05-26-2004, 09:28 PM
Originally posted by SEALgep
He also said he doesn't know either. He said that's the beauty of the game, that no one knows. He even stressed that everyone can have an opinion. Way to mislead what he said.
I don't think I misled what he said. Hawk began by saying something about fans who come up to him and claim they know baseball.

havelj
05-26-2004, 09:38 PM
Hawk aimed it at guys such as writers/talk show hosts like Mariotti without a doubt.

SoxFan76
05-26-2004, 09:41 PM
And he also eluded to the fact that he doesn't know a damn about somebody elses occupation because he has never done it. Let's try not to turn this around on the poor guy. Hawk is the man.

Hondo
05-26-2004, 09:42 PM
Does Hawk know where my car keys are at???

Hawk is first class and if he thinks I don't know baseball compared to him well... I don't.

Dadawg_77
05-26-2004, 09:42 PM
Hawk may know how to play, but putting a team together isn't his forte. So yes Hawk we all have things to learn.

SEALgep
05-26-2004, 10:22 PM
I don't think I misled what he said. Hawk began by saying something about fans who come up to him and claim they know baseball. But he included himself in the talk, saying no one has this game figured out. And you clearly stated that he was talking about the fans, which is misleading. He was talking about anyone and everyone.

SEALgep
05-26-2004, 10:24 PM
Originally posted by Hondo
Does Hawk know where my car keys are at???

Hawk is first class and if he thinks I don't know baseball compared to him well... I don't. That's the problem with this thread. He didn't say you or fans in general don't have this game figured out, he said everyone, and he included himself.

jamteh
05-26-2004, 10:50 PM
I didn't have a problem with what he said. Not to be philosophical, but the same thing holds true for just about any profession. You can always learn something new.

MeanFish
05-26-2004, 10:54 PM
I don't know how, but can someone post the "this thread sucks" picture in my place? :D:

SoxFan76
05-26-2004, 10:57 PM
:threadsucks

I have never used these, let me be the one to say this thread sucks. And while we're at it...

:britney

MeanFish
05-26-2004, 10:58 PM
LOL, nice job. Much appreciated :)

TDog
05-27-2004, 02:39 AM
He also said he doesn't know either. ...

Even I knew that. Remember when he was GM?

Chisoxfn
05-27-2004, 02:52 AM
Anyone else hear Harrelson's comment during tonight's broadcast. I can't quote exactly but he said that you can watch baseball for forty years and you (meaning the fans) don't know anything.

Thats not what he said. He basically said that unless you played the game, you don't understand the mental approach or what a hitter is thinking.

I think he's right to a point too. DJ went on to say you may of heard what a player is thinking, but until your in his shoes, you can't really understand.

However, I do think someone who hasn't played professionally can be an effective manager, GM or anything else involved in baseball. Of course if they are a manager they have to have the players trust.

inta
05-27-2004, 03:45 AM
man did everyone who decided to start threads tonight take a bunch of downers or something?

So far I've read about how Maggs can possibly become a cub next season, a few threads on how dumb the new Phase V construction is, and how easily it is to misinterpret Hawks comments as an insult to sox fans.

what the hell is wrong with this place?

SSN721
05-27-2004, 06:50 AM
My roommate and I were just having a laugh thinking more along the lines he turned to DJ and said this right to his face when he made the "dont know a damn thing comment." Picturing that still makes me crack up. :D:

Palehose13
05-27-2004, 09:23 AM
Originally posted by Chisoxfn
Thats not what he said. He basically said that unless you played the game, you don't understand the mental approach or what a hitter is thinking.

I think he's right to a point too. DJ went on to say you may of heard what a player is thinking, but until your in his shoes, you can't really understand.

However, I do think someone who hasn't played professionally can be an effective manager, GM or anything else involved in baseball. Of course if they are a manager they have to have the players trust.

I have to agree with this interpretation. I loooove baseball. Been watching it my whole life. I've played softball on teh college level. I have some idea (maybe a better idea than some) about the "little things" going on the field that the casual fan doesn't know or observe. However, I also love football and have also watched that my whole life. But I have never played. I don't have a clue about the "little things" in football. Try as I may, I'll never really understand it. But I do know all about "positioning" as a middle infielder! :D:

fledgedrallycap
05-27-2004, 09:59 AM
Whether someone wants to take Hawk's comment last night as an insult doesn't change the fact he is correct. As mentioned previously, they were discussing the mental facets of the game and how no fan could understand what players go through on a day-in and day-out basis. Opinions are what make discussing sports fun, but if we really knew what the hell was going on we would be making the calls for real. I actually thought he was targeting the media, in terms of radio and columnists.

iwannago
05-27-2004, 10:28 AM
But he included himself in the talk, saying no one has this game figured out. And you clearly stated that he was talking about the fans, which is misleading. He was talking about anyone and everyone.

I agree with your comment SEALgep. I believe he said I was talking to someone and said the longer I'm in baseball it seems like the less I know. The person who he was talking said you don't know less about baseball you now realize howmuch there is to know about baseball.

Palehose13
05-27-2004, 12:20 PM
Boers and Handley (?) are discussing this now and grilling Hawk. This is coming from a guy who calls a majority of his callers "dopes".

mantis1212
05-27-2004, 12:35 PM
We need to change the title of this thread to "Hawk says NO ONE know's anything about baseball", because that's what he said.

This came up when he tried to figure out why A-Rod can leave the Rangers after 3-4 years of last place, and the team starts winning. No one can explain this, that was the whole point.

Palehose13
05-27-2004, 12:45 PM
Originally posted by mantis1212
We need to change the title of this thread to "Hawk says NO ONE know's anything about baseball", because that's what he said.

This came up when he tried to figure out why A-Rod can leave the Rangers after 3-4 years of last place, and the team starts winning. No one can explain this, that was the whole point.

Yeah, well...I agree. Unfortunately, the media is (or will) have a field day with this. :angry:

wdelaney72
05-27-2004, 12:49 PM
Originally posted by fledgedrallycap
Whether someone wants to take Hawk's comment last night as an insult doesn't change the fact he is correct. As mentioned previously, they were discussing the mental facets of the game and how no fan could understand what players go through on a day-in and day-out basis. Opinions are what make discussing sports fun, but if we really knew what the hell was going on we would be making the calls for real. I actually thought he was targeting the media, in terms of radio and columnists.

You can put it on the board!

valposoxfan
05-27-2004, 01:11 PM
Hawk is on Boers and Bernstein right now. Tune in right now. This is amazing. Unreal radio.

Dadawg_77
05-27-2004, 01:15 PM
Originally posted by mantis1212

Well it is very easy to explain, they have talent on that team, it is younger and is still growing so this year is better then last year, since the players are better with age.

ChiSoxBobette
05-27-2004, 01:21 PM

I just think the Hawk was talking about baseball in general. Theres all these so called experts out there telling everyone whos going the the playoffs,WS ,why this guy is good and that one is'nt and then all of a sudden baseball just jumps up and surprises you. I really don't think it was a statement saying us as fans we don't know baseball . Like I said he was making a statement about how baseball can just turn all of the experts , like we all think we are, into confused raving lunatics.

Go White Sox!
Go Hawk!

SEALgep
05-27-2004, 01:29 PM
Hawk specified that he was talking about the media in particular, and that he has all the respect in the world for Sox fans, many of whom he said have great knowledge of the game.

Lip Man 1
05-27-2004, 02:16 PM
So according to Hawk people who make their living covering a team, spending day after day on the road with a club, having access to talk to players, managers and front office types along with in some cases umpires don't know anything about baseball but fans who sit in the stands and perhaps have never even spoken to one player in their lives do?

Makes sense to me!

(and no that is not meant to be an insult to fans...just commenting on how stupid Hawk's comment and vendetta is. )

Hawk has been around baseball for forty years yet was an awful GM. What does that tell you about lenght of time spent hanging around the game?

Lip

Hangar18
05-27-2004, 07:04 PM
I think Hawk was a bit wrong on this one. I understood it as a Slight to Fans. Boers & Bernstein were Calling Him Out for implying fans, and Hawk Argued that he didnt mean the Fans but the Media. B&B then said that if that was the case, come out and say it, dont gloss it over. Hawk said he only has a problem with 3 people in the Media "guys like Mariotti, Boers & Bernstein". B&B laughed and said thats fine, but that HAWK tonite before the broadcast, should tell fans what he meant, because Thats not what he was getting hearing him and DJ saying that. They got pretty hot at each other, but Im siding with B&B on this, they were right.

But the funny thing, North just replayed the whole conversation, and of course, theres people calling in saying "yeah North love your show, B&B are idiots, they talk down to people" or "Yeah, if they dont agree with your opinion, they call you names and hang up" etc etc. Its turned into the "lets-hate-boers-bernstein" callfest, But I will say one thing....... THOSE GUYS TALK ABOUT MORE PRESSING ISSUES
than ANYONE in the Chicago Phony-Freaking Media! When all the reporters were chuckling and laughing giddily like little Schoolgirls upon hearing Dusty Baker sidestep ABC-7's Brad Palmers question concerning what he knew about steroids as a former Giants Manager and Lash out "Do you cheat on your wife!!??" yeah, these are reporters Im going to listen to.

Boers & Bernstein were the 1st IN CHICAGO to bring up what the heck did Dusty Baker know about all of the Steroids, considering hes the Manager of the Giants. THey were the ones calling DUSTY we Trusty on his Complaining about opposing Players staring at their homeruns, but turns the other Cheek when Sammy Hops, or when Zfatbrano pumps his fist for strikeouts.

Boers and Bernstein were LIVID and called out the rest of the Yellow Chicago Media regarding the Murder outside the Friendly Confines. They were Blistering in their attack on those who Ignored it and to those who said it was nothing really, and on those Who started DEFENDING the Urinal, Like your Rick Morrisseys, Mike Kileys, Mike Murphys.

So yeah, people are on the air saying HAWK was right ........good for him for going after the Media. If hawk really meant it, and really meant the Media, oh well, all is forgiven. But Hes Going after the Wrong Guys in the Media.

MikeKreevich
05-27-2004, 07:11 PM
I wish Hawk would have been more specific last night. It turns out, from his explanation on the score today, that he was reacting to certain members of the media-The Score's Boers and Bernstein, and also Jay Mariotti. I hope he comments on this issue during tonight's game. He is probably tired of these media buffoons who act like experts on everything and have free reign to criticize anyone or thing they choose.
I have followed the Sox since the fifties and I just want to say that Ken Harrelson is my favorite Sox broadcaster during that period. Yes, that includes Harry. To those who feel that Hawk shouldn't call out those cretins, I just say, You go Hawk!

32nd&Wallace
05-27-2004, 07:44 PM
Originally posted by Hangar18
I think Hawk was a bit wrong on this one. I understood it as a Slight to Fans. Boers & Bernstein were Calling Him Out for implying fans, and Hawk Argued that he didnt mean the Fans but the Media. B&B then said that if that was the case, come out and say it, dont gloss it over. Hawk said he only has a problem with 3 people in the Media "guys like Mariotti, Boers & Bernstein". B&B laughed and said thats fine, but that HAWK tonite before the broadcast, should tell fans what he meant, because Thats not what he was getting hearing him and DJ saying that. They got pretty hot at each other, but Im siding with B&B on this, they were right.

But the funny thing, North just replayed the whole conversation, and of course, theres people calling in saying "yeah North love your show, B&B are idiots, they talk down to people" or "Yeah, if they dont agree with your opinion, they call you names and hang up" etc etc. Its turned into the "lets-hate-boers-bernstein" callfest, But I will say one thing....... THOSE GUYS TALK ABOUT MORE PRESSING ISSUES
than ANYONE in the Chicago Phony-Freaking Media! When all the reporters were chuckling and laughing giddily like little Schoolgirls upon hearing Dusty Baker sidestep ABC-7's Brad Palmers question concerning what he knew about steroids as a former Giants Manager and Lash out "Do you cheat on your wife!!??" yeah, these are reporters Im going to listen to.

Boers & Bernstein were the 1st IN CHICAGO to bring up what the heck did Dusty Baker know about all of the Steroids, considering hes the Manager of the Giants. THey were the ones calling DUSTY we Trusty on his Complaining about opposing Players staring at their homeruns, but turns the other Cheek when Sammy Hops, or when Zfatbrano pumps his fist for strikeouts.

Boers and Bernstein were LIVID and called out the rest of the Yellow Chicago Media regarding the Murder outside the Friendly Confines. They were Blistering in their attack on those who Ignored it and to those who said it was nothing really, and on those Who started DEFENDING the Urinal, Like your Rick Morrisseys, Mike Kileys, Mike Murphys.

So yeah, people are on the air saying HAWK was right ........good for him for going after the Media. If hawk really meant it, and really meant the Media, oh well, all is forgiven. But Hes Going after the Wrong Guys in the Media.
Good point, but here's the problem. THat still doesn't solve the fact that these two don't treat their callers with any ounce of respect. And hearign two people laugh at their own jokes and get a kick out of how smart they are by belittling Jim from Evergreen because Jim from Evergreen doesn't have their experience in sports media does not make for good radio.
I posted a note on the Hawk on Score thread that details an account where Juan Uribe went on Boers show and Boers mimicked Uribe's English throughout the broadcast.
Granted, it was a replay but here is a man who comes on your show, whose English is not good, is exceedingly polite to the hosts and what does Boers do: plays silly sound effects throughout.
WHAT DID HE WANT URIBE TO DO -QUOTE EMERSON????
Even with the Hawk interview, there was no civility there. Boers again was playing to the audience.....He should have been deferential to Hawk for calling it, but Boers is an angry, bitter old man.

And I think North does a fine job in calling the Brad Palmers of the world out and still is able to maintain a level of respect for his callers and guests.

32nd&Wallace
05-27-2004, 07:45 PM

BTW, I just want to empahsize that they do bring somethign to the table that no other Chicago broadcast team brings. I love the fact that they are the only two to call out Michael Jordan for who he really is.

SEALgep
05-27-2004, 07:47 PM

So yeah, people are on the air saying HAWK was right ........good for him for going after the Media. If hawk really meant it, and really meant the Media, oh well, all is forgiven. But Hes Going after the Wrong Guys in the Media. Maybe the wrong guys in a sense of the long battle with the media, but these guys were mocking Hawk all morning before he called. He had every right to be upset and set the record straight IMO.