PDA

View Full Version : Just cheew, people...

batmanZoSo
05-26-2004, 06:51 PM
I think the reason that everybody's going nuts over this latest "renovation" is because we've been waiting for some "big announcement," and this is what we get so far--a play area for kids. Doesn't do much for most of us I would venture to say as a good deal of us are probably childless and in college, young professionals, or have kids, but ones past the age where this thing would benefit them.

But just remember, this is only part of it...there's a lot more to come and I do trust they know what they're doing based on the fantastic job they did with the upper deck both aesthetically with the cool roof and functionally with the reduction of steps and enclosure of the upper concourse.

I see this thing for the detractors as being a "letdown." It should be a great asset to the organization and when it's actually up, it will be an improvement to the eyes as well. Those who'd rather have the Waterhouse ticker over an ornate steel structure like this say I...

soxnut
05-26-2004, 06:58 PM
Originally posted by batmanZoSo
I think the reason that everybody's going nuts over this latest "renovation" is because we've been waiting for some "big announcement," and this is what we get so far--a play area for kids. Doesn't do much for most of us I would venture to say as a good deal of us are probably childless and in college, young professionals, or have kids, but ones past the age where this thing would benefit them.

But just remember, this is only part of it...there's a lot more to come and I do trust they know what they're doing based on the fantastic job they did with the upper deck both aesthetically with the cool roof and functionally with the reduction of steps and enclosure of the upper concourse.

I see this thing for the detractors as being a "letdown." It should be a great asset to the organization and when it's actually up, it will be an improvement to the eyes as well. Those who'd rather have the Waterhouse ticker over an ornate steel structure like this say I...

I totally agree with your post. But, does anyone remember how many times in the past year that people in the Sox organization have been talking about something "interactive for kids"? In a way, anyone who has been paying attention to reports and heresay shouldn't be surprised or disappointed---the idea has been out there.

And of course there are going to be more to Phase V than "just for the kiddies".

SOXintheBURGH
05-26-2004, 07:42 PM
I totally agree as well. Did anyone honestly think there would a big announcement at the end of May concerning any kind of blockbuster trade, a specific date about Jeremy Reed playing, or anything relating to baseball at all?

Hangar18
05-26-2004, 07:47 PM
Thats fine, if they want to build a PlayPen for Kids..........BUT DONT PUT THE DANG THING RIGHT IN THE MIDDLE OF THE CONCOURSE!!!!!!!!!! How stupid is that? When I was a Kid, we WATCHED THE GAME, not go to a game just to go and swing a bat............Go to a batting cage to do that. Put the THing outside where it belongs..........

batmanZoSo
05-26-2004, 07:52 PM
Originally posted by Hangar18
Thats fine, if they want to build a PlayPen for Kids..........BUT DONT PUT THE DANG THING RIGHT IN THE MIDDLE OF THE CONCOURSE!!!!!!!!!! How stupid is that? When I was a Kid, we WATCHED THE GAME, not go to a game just to go and swing a bat............Go to a batting cage to do that. Put the THing outside where it belongs..........

I've been a die hard SOX fan since age 9 but I haven't forgotten about how short my attention span was. I was into the game, but being able to go hit a baseball in a cool thing like that would've been a dream come true for me...especially while overlooking big leaguers. Very few kids can sit in place for 3 hours.

anewman35
05-26-2004, 07:58 PM

You bitch all the time about the billboards. So they're taking one down. And you still bitch. Are you ever pleased?

nasox
05-26-2004, 09:01 PM
Originally posted by batmanZoSo
I've been a die hard SOX fan since age 9 but I haven't forgotten about how short my attention span was. I was into the game, but being able to go hit a baseball in a cool thing like that would've been a dream come true for me...especially while overlooking big leaguers. Very few kids can sit in place for 3 hours.

Just go to a kids day if you don't have kids. All I saw then was little kids squirming in their seats, or messing around with each other. Not their fault, just a product of their ages.

Clembasbal
05-26-2004, 09:59 PM
I for one like the concept, I don't know how I feel about the placement. With all of the talk about fights in the crowds and cursing part of the vocabulary at a game, I think the marketing department has to target a new fan base.

And by this I mean children. We as Sox fans need more and more Sox fans, so why not market to the young. I know, they don't buy beers and the food, but their parents buy tickets, and shirts, hats, nachos, hot dogs, and so on to keep the kid from crying in public.

To get four tickets on the wrong side of town costs a family, if not more than, $200. And food, drinks, souvineers, etc and you are looking at over $300 for one day.

If this new marketing guy goes after kids, families can go the Sox park and spend $80 on four tickets, and with food, etc under $150. A total savings of $150, meaning if you were going to spend $300 anyway, a family can just go to a Sox game twice for that same amount.

Maybe too many numbers for some people, but in truth I like the concept of going after kids, because in turn they will want to be Sox fans and want to bring their kids back years from now.

Families are huge in St. Louis, that is why I consider them the best fans in all of sports. Never seen a fight or more than S**T from any fan, even if he or her was drunk.

soxnut
05-26-2004, 10:29 PM

What is the problem with having on the concourse?

It gets rid of one of the billboards you hate.
It provides shelter for those who are getting too much sun or rain.
It give the ballpark a unique character.

So what's the problem? They didn't use your ideas? :?: :?:

jamteh
05-26-2004, 10:40 PM
Hey, the kids can play!

rahulsekhar
05-26-2004, 11:04 PM

Hangar - not sure how old you are, but I think even older kids (i.e. 7-10) nowadays don't have the attention span of generations past. Blame MTV, video games, sound bites, whatever - but the fact is that kids that age today get bored easily and prefer many different attractions to just the game.

The FUNdamentals deck will be another baseball-related attraction to get them to bug their parents to come to games(i.e.not like a pool or a video arcade in the park or anything). It makes the baseball and Sox experience more fun for them. They learn about it, they get into it, and as they get older - they'll spend more time watching the game and less in the mini-field. All of that is VERY good for the team (and for Sox fans with kids).

And for those who don't have kids, it's not like it's in or over left field. It's behind the stands (not over them), and from what I can tell - from the lower deck it'll look a lot like any old fan deck. So it shouldn't interfere with your enjoyment of the game or the park.

chisox06
05-26-2004, 11:26 PM
Dont get me wrong, I love the idea, but I HATE the location. There is so much we can do with the concourse and IMO that is about one of the worst ideas I can come up with. Whats the reasoning for putting it there? Just makes no sense.

anewman35
05-26-2004, 11:55 PM
Originally posted by chisox06
Dont get me wrong, I love the idea, but I HATE the location. There is so much we can do with the concourse and IMO that is about one of the worst ideas I can come up with. Whats the reasoning for putting it there? Just makes no sense.

The sense of putting it there is that it's visable (making the stadium look more interesting) and the game can be seen from there, giving it another selling point. What are some of these more interesting things that can be done with the concourse? And what makes you so sure they won't do other things with the concourse?

pinwheels3530
05-27-2004, 03:11 AM

Let me guess you watched the cubs when you were a kid cause that's all you talk about. Wait they didn't use your big MGD bottles so your pissed, relax man it's just BASEBALL!!!

Hangar18
05-27-2004, 09:50 AM
Originally posted by pinwheels3530
Let me guess you watched the cubs when you were a kid cause that's all you talk about. Wait they didn't use your big MGD bottles so your pissed, relax man it's just BASEBALL!!!

Pinwheels3530, where do you get the Idea that im taking this personally? Im frustrated over managements continued Mis-Labeled, and Out-of-Touch attempts at fixing this teams "problems". The MGD bottles were just that, a CREATIVE attempt at advertising. If you dont like the idea .....
Than YOU come up with something. Keep shooting me and my ideas down.....but If your not going to come up with a Better Solution, clam up. Every idea I post, I give a reason.
Giant, Sterile Billboards are for Highways, not ballparks.

The SOX merely Removed an Out of Scale Billboard and replaced it with an Out of Scale PlayPen. What next? Bathrooms on the field? HotDog stands inside the bathrooms? The Concept is Great ....... but as usual, the Execution is lacking.
As Hawk would say ......"RIGHT SIZE, WRONG SHAPE"

onesox
05-27-2004, 11:00 AM
Look back at every post Hangar writes and you won't find anything positive about the sox, so we should not be surprised he does not like this. I think it will look awesome, plus I am so glad they are doing this because it is something so different. I hate the idea of a Home run Porch........I don't want to look like every other new stadium.

Hangar18
05-27-2004, 11:04 AM
Originally posted by onesox
Look back at every post Hangar writes and you won't find anything positive about the sox

Look back at every post Onesox writes and you wont find
anything positive about the sox or hangar.

Hondo
05-27-2004, 11:07 AM
Look back at every post Onesox writes and you wont find
anything positive about the sox or hangar.

look back at Onesox's posts and you'll find 18.

Hangar is the personifcation of a fan. I wish I had his sort of passion.

pinwheels3530
05-27-2004, 01:32 PM
Pinwheels3530, where do you get the Idea that I'm taking this personally? Im frustrated over managements continued Mis-Labeled, and Out-of-Touch attempts at fixing this teams "problems". The MGD bottles were just that, a CREATIVE attempt at advertising. If you dont like the idea .....
Than YOU come up with something. Keep shooting me and my ideas down.....but If your not going to come up with a Better Solution, clam up. Every idea I post, I give a reason.
Giant, Sterile Billboards are for Highways, not ballparks.

The SOX merely Removed an Out of Scale Billboard and replaced it with an Out of Scale PlayPen. What next? Bathrooms on the field? Hot Dog stands inside the bathrooms? The Concept is Great ....... but as usual, the Execution is lacking.
As Hawk would say ......"RIGHT SIZE, WRONG SHAPE" \

Hangar it just seems like your to busy trying to compare everything the sox do (stadium, players, uniforms, etc...) with the other team up north. Now I'll be the first to admit I don't have may ideas at all, I first thought a couple of outside decks just behind the concourse would be cool, but then it will attract more drinking crowds (we get enough of those on tuesdays) if the sox want to build something more family oriented I am all for it. Can we both agree that perception is a big part of the sox problem ( it's not safe on 35th, too many drunks at the game etc..) The sox are trying to change their image WE as sox fans should do our part by talking to everyone how great the sox experience CAN be, how great the fan deck is, the new roof on the ud looks cool, the ud is agreat place to watch the game (don't believe the negative hype), how the sports bar is a cool place to hang out, the kids play pen is cool for families, you can tail gate before the game etc....SOX FANS NEED TO EMBRACE WHAT THEY HAVE not what they don't have, and stop dissing everyone else it makes us sound jealous that's a big turn off to the casual fan. I am telling you'll be a much happier sox fan, you don't want end up like Lip Man do you :D:

Do me a favor if your at the sox game don't look up at the scoreboard to see the cub score cause it only matters if WE win or lose, I'll be you a beer man peace! :D:

Hangar18
05-27-2004, 01:45 PM
Originally posted by pinwheels3530

Do me a favor if your at the sox game don't look up at the scoreboard to see the cub score cause it only matters if WE win or lose, I'll be you a beer man peace! :D:

SOX wins make me happy for sure, but other team losing is Icing on the Proverbial Cake :smile: :smile: agreed, peace

steff
05-27-2004, 01:53 PM

The way you're behaving Henry... you're gonna fit right in out there.

Hondo
05-27-2004, 01:55 PM
Originally posted by steff
The way you're behaving Henry... you're gonna fit right in out there.

Snap...

I think they should put a shuffleboard deck out in right for the cotton tops. Sort of an interesting life and death mileu in the outfield.

Or maybe the different stages of hell. Because for me being stuck in a playpen with kids would be one of them.