PDA

View Full Version : Is it time for borchard to come up?

habibharu
05-26-2004, 04:03 PM
should the sox bring up borchard

Hokiesox
05-26-2004, 04:09 PM
Ahhh! I said trade C. Lee, but I'm dumb. Can a mod change that to play him everyday?

steff
05-26-2004, 04:49 PM
.288, 9 HR and 33 RBI and he appears to be healthy. Perhaps...

The Cheat
05-26-2004, 05:08 PM
Last 14 games --

.413AVG 7HR 23RBI .931SLG

Cubbiesuck13
05-26-2004, 05:39 PM
i don't think they should move him up untill something happens to the players we allready have. rowand is starting to hit. knock wood. and there is a reason KW got perez

SEALgep
05-26-2004, 05:45 PM
If Lee gets dealt, then I'm all for giving him a real shot at playing everyday.

TaylorStSox
05-26-2004, 05:47 PM
You know where I stand on this. He's the best centerfielder available on our team.

He has the highest ceiling in the organization.

He can't be as bad as Rowand.

He provides pop from both sides of the plate.

soxfan26
05-26-2004, 05:47 PM
Bring him up!

poorme
05-26-2004, 06:05 PM
Let him (hopefully) enjoy more success down there. If he comes up now and fails again, that could REALLY destroy his confidence. At least wait until Rowand gets off this hot streak.

idseer
05-26-2004, 06:15 PM
TRADE HIM!
............................ NOW!

lowesox
05-26-2004, 08:04 PM
Originally posted by idseer
TRADE HIM!

Yes! If other GMs buy into Borchard's recent hot streak, we should pull the trigger.

doublem23
05-26-2004, 08:26 PM
Hell no. There's no reason to move him. He's hitting, the Sox offense is 2nd in the American League in runs. If something happens (injury, team falls apart), then we'll see.

idseer
05-26-2004, 09:03 PM
i think his track record is pretty clear and i see no reason to think he'll change. he's more easily replaced that other positions and we should get something for him NOW .... before it's too late.

i imagine he's already considering going back to the game he's actually good at.

owensmouth
05-26-2004, 09:53 PM
NOPE!!

Only if you have some mad desire to watch strikeouts by a White Sox outfielder.

doublem23
05-26-2004, 11:01 PM
i think his track record is pretty clear and i see no reason to think he'll change. he's more easily replaced that other positions and we should get something for him NOW .... before it's too late.

i imagine he's already considering going back to the game he's actually good at.

Track record? You're talking about a guy who was one of the most prolific power hitting prospects in baseball who's struggled with injuries the last few years. I agree if some GM wants to ship us a nice, proven starter for Borchard, but aside from that it's too early to give up on what this team needs, a left-handed hitter with some pop, especially considering the very real possibility that Magglio will not be back in South Side pinstripes next year.

idseer
05-26-2004, 11:16 PM
Originally posted by doublem23
Track record? You're talking about a guy who was one of the most prolific power hitting prospects in baseball who's struggled with injuries the last few years. I agree if some GM wants to ship us a nice, proven starter for Borchard, but aside from that it's too early to give up on what this team needs, a left-handed hitter with some pop, especially considering the very real possibility that Magglio will not be back in South Side pinstripes next year.

i'm talking about a guy who is now 26, 3 years after we thought he'd be playing, who k's waay too much.
and you're correct on one point ... he WAS one of the most prolific power hitting prospects. what is he now?

i'm not advocating we give him away, but if we could get a 2nd or 3rd pitcher with some kind of package with him included i believe they should JUMP at it. we don't need another dave nicholson on this team.

OEO Magglio
05-26-2004, 11:38 PM
Originally posted by doublem23
Hell no. There's no reason to move him. He's hitting, the Sox offense is 2nd in the American League in runs. If something happens (injury, team falls apart), then we'll see.
Haha that cracks me up. It's amazing because they've been pretty inconsistant for a while but now they've been real hot and have just piled up runs. The offense still scares the heck out of me for the eventual hitting slump they'll most likely go on. I think the best thing to do with Borchard is let him stay in the minors until maybe the sox could swing a deal for another pitcher and maybe get rid of carlos and let Joe be the everyday leftfielder.

Randar68
05-26-2004, 11:42 PM
TRADE HIM!

Yes, rowand is the future...

Sometimes it's terribly obvious when player's family member post here... LOL :D:

ma_deuce
05-26-2004, 11:55 PM
:ohno
"Please don't bring him up, please don't bring him up.."

doublem23
05-27-2004, 12:01 AM
Originally posted by OEO Magglio
Haha that cracks me up. It's amazing because they've been pretty inconsistant for a while but now they've been real hot and have just piled up runs. The offense still scares the heck out of me for the eventual hitting slump they'll most likely go on. I think the best thing to do with Borchard is let him stay in the minors until maybe the sox could swing a deal for another pitcher and maybe get rid of carlos and let Joe be the everyday leftfielder.

If anything, I'd say we're sitting pretty. No one has put up great numbers (maybe Olivo and Harris), yet we're scoring. And the Sox have been prone to heating up with the temperatures. I'm very confident in the bats that we have.

idseer
05-27-2004, 08:43 AM
Originally posted by Randar68
Yes, rowand is the future...

Sometimes it's terribly obvious when player's family member post here... LOL :D:

it's more obvious when a hater makes things up to try and elevate his own theories.
i have been saying all along that if aaron doesn't hit he shouldn't play. if he does, then he's adequate. but it's obvious to me that while he can get somewhat hot with the bat i no longer believe he'll ever amount to any kind of hitter.

but THIS discussion is about borchard! try to focus randar!

poorme
05-27-2004, 08:53 AM
it's more obvious when a hater makes things up to try and elevate his own theories.

kinda like saying a player is a year older than he really is?

Frater Perdurabo
05-27-2004, 08:57 AM
Bring LTP up. Start him in center. Put Harris at second and Uribe at short. Play Frank at first on the road and have Valentin DH against right-handed pitching on the road. Valentin also can back up at short with Uribe moving to 3B on occasion to rest Crede. This makes Konerko or Lee expendable in a trade for pitching.

If Borchard fails after a month, trade for Steve Finley.

idseer
05-27-2004, 09:09 AM
Originally posted by poorme
kinda like saying a player is a year older than he really is?

joe was born in 1978. if he isn't 26 already he will be very soon.

edit ... ok, he was born in november. 25 and a half. shoot me!

idseer
05-27-2004, 09:12 AM
Originally posted by Frater Perdurabo

If Borchard fails after a month, trade for Steve Finley.

when borchard fails after a month he will bring us nothing.

TRADE HIM NOW!

sas1974
05-27-2004, 09:17 AM
and you're correct on one point ... he WAS one of the most prolific power hitting prospects. what is he now?

FINALLY healthy again!

Frater Perdurabo
05-27-2004, 09:19 AM
when borchard fails after a month he will bring us nothing.

TRADE HIM NOW!

I didn't say trade him for Steve Finley, necessarily. What I meant was that if Borchard isn't the answer in center for this season, then go get Steve Finley to play center for the rest of this year. Then give LTP one last shot in spring training next year. If he is healthy then but fails to produce, then cut him loose.

idseer
05-27-2004, 09:21 AM
Originally posted by Frater Perdurabo
I didn't say trade him for Steve Finley, necessarily. What I meant was that if Borchard isn't the answer in center for this season, then go get Steve Finley to play center for the rest of this year. Then give LTP one last shot in spring training next year. If he is healthy then but fails to produce, then cut him loose.

your scenario ... we get nothing for him
my scenario ... we get something good for him (hopefully)

idseer
05-27-2004, 09:23 AM
Originally posted by sas1974
FINALLY healthy again!

healthy and not considered much of a prospect anymore, which was my point.

2 weeks ago you'd probably have agreed with me (of course we wouldn't have gotten much for him then either, but that's why i say trade him now!).

the "he's hot, he must be god" or "he's cold, he stinks" attitude has GOT to GO!

sas1974
05-27-2004, 09:28 AM
healthy and not considered much of a prospect anymore, which was my point.

2 weeks ago you'd probably have agreed with me.

the "he's hot, he must be god" or "he's cold, he stinks" attitude has GOT to GO!

Actually, I have never wanted to let Joe go. I haven't flip-flopped on this one. I really think he can be a fixture for the Sox, if he remains healthy.

For the record, I don't think you're some mad man spouting crazy ideas. You make an extremely valid point that we should try to get something for him while he's hot. I am just a fan of his and would like to see what he can do for us. IF he's finally "figured it out" and this isn't just some fluke of a hot streak, he could be the answer in CF(and eventually RF) for a long time.

idseer
05-27-2004, 09:31 AM
Actually, I have never wanted to let Joe go. I haven't flip-flopped on this one. I really think he can be a fixture for the Sox, if he remains healthy.

For the record, I don't think you're some mad man spouting crazy ideas. You make an extremely valid point that we should try to get something for him while he's hot. I am just a fan of his and would like to see what he can do for us. IF he's finally "figured it out" and this isn't just some fluke of a hot streak, he could be the answer in CF(and eventually RF) for a long time.

i feel the same way about rauch. :smile:

sas1974
05-27-2004, 09:34 AM

I can't argue w/ that one. I think I am still brainwashed from those initial BA articles about these guys when they first broke on to the scene.

idseer
05-27-2004, 09:41 AM
I can't argue w/ that one. I think I am still brainwashed from those initial BA articles about these guys when they first broke on to the scene.

LMAO let's face it ... as white sox fans we're all brainwashed.
:)

at least it's not so unpleasant so far this season.

Frater Perdurabo
05-27-2004, 10:02 AM

Agreed, all the way around. I too want the Sox developing prospects to be given the opportunity to prove themselves in a Sox uniform. Right now the CF situation is unique in that the Sox have a need and LTP has stepped up his production exactly when the Sox need it. That's why I say they should give him a chance right now. If it is true that K-Dub is trying to work a trade for a CF and a starter, but other teams don't want to mail it in and trade away their veterans yet, then now is a perfect time to promote both Rauch and LTP and see if they can succeed. If they don't produce within a month, then by that time other teams will have folded their cards and the Sox should be able to make deals for a veteran starting pitcher and CF.

But even if they are the answers this year, that doesn't mean that Rauch and LTP should be finished, though. Each of them still should have another opportunity to earn a starting job during next year's spring training, since it is likely that whomever the Sox get to fill those roles this year is likely to be a rent-a-player anyway. If either of them are healthy and fail next year in spring training, then it's probably time to cut bait with both of them.

I just want to the Sox to be able to successfully fill their holes from within and have their prospects grow into stars. :smile:

Mohoney
05-27-2004, 10:21 AM
Maybe Wunsch and Rowand could be packaged with an A ball pitcher or two and get us a legit starter like Freddy Garcia or Al Leiter? Maybe Wunsch is worth a good prospect from someone and we can rebuild the farm system a little bit? Maybe Rowand is worth a mid-level prospect?

The only way roster spots would be opened for Rauch and Borchard is to move Wunsch and Rowand.

davenicholson
05-27-2004, 10:25 AM
we don't need another dave nicholson on this team.

HEY!!!!!

idseer
05-27-2004, 10:33 AM
Originally posted by davenicholson
HEY!!!!!

lol now slow down .... i said ANOTHER! :D:

jabrch
05-27-2004, 02:21 PM
What sort of trade value would Borchard have? What more would it take to get Garcia? Beltran? Finley? Now that Joe is doing it at AAA, is it possible we could get good value for him?