PDA

View Full Version : Phase V Announced

Pages : [1] 2

SEALgep
05-26-2004, 02:03 PM
http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/cws/news/cws_press_release.jsp?ymd=20040526&content_id=752832&vkey=pr_cws&fext=.jsp

At least a part of it anyhow.

SaltyPretzel
05-26-2004, 02:09 PM
Hey! What are they going to do with the shower?!

Unregistered
So I guess that "fundamentals" monstrosity replaces the fabled "home run porch"? Or will that be located on the right field side of the concourse? Also, considering the mini home plate faces the field, what happens when kids start hitting balls onto the field and into the stands?

Not a day goes by when I haven't said ''Dammit, if only the Fundamentals area was on the concourse - THEN we'd have the best park in baseball!"

Hmmm.. I dunno, kinda starting to look like the Mall of America, to me. I'm all for moving forward, though...

Irishsox1
The mini-ball park is stupid.

DaveIsHere
Big deal, not too exciting.

not until I have little ones anyhow

Jjav829
05-26-2004, 02:11 PM
Originally posted by Unregistered
So I guess that "fundamentals" monstrosity replaces the fabled "home run porch"? Or will that be located on the right field side of the concourse? Also, considering the mini home plate faces the field, what happens when kids start hitting balls onto the field and into the stands?

Hmmm.. I dunno, kinda starting to look like the Mall of America, to me. I'm all for moving forward, though...

I would imagine it would have some sort of netting surrounding the entire area. It would be too dangerous otherwise.

I hope this wasn't the "big announcement."

Hondo
05-26-2004, 02:11 PM
Screw the kids!!!

That looks pretty lame IMHO.

Unregistered
05-26-2004, 02:12 PM
BTW, ladies and gentlemen, behold the "Major Announcement"... :?:

jabrch
05-26-2004, 02:12 PM
FUNdamentals, which will overlook the field and outfield seating area, will offer skills instruction for all positions, led by instructors from the Chicago White Sox Training Academy. The area will feature a youth-sized baseball diamond for coaching clinics, batting and pitching cages for instructional and recreational use, batting "swing" boxes for proper batting techniques and areas for baserunning and skills instruction, in addition to a kid-friendly concession and novelty stand. Fans in the stands will be able to observe the activities in FUNdamentals. The skills area currently exists inside Gate 3.

Looks COOL!
http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/images/2004/05/26/kwL4pVG4.jpg

No Green Seats? No HR Porch? Ordonez resigns? Adding a SP?

Seriously, that's a nice touch. That will be great for being fan friendly and making more kids WANT to come to Comiskey Park. I like the idea very much. I look forward to hearing more of Phase V.

jabrch
05-26-2004, 02:13 PM
Not a day goes by when I haven't said ''Dammit, if only the Fundamentals area was on the concourse - THEN we'd have the best park in baseball!"

Post of The Week!

Hangar18
05-26-2004, 02:16 PM
This in my many years of watching WhiteSOX baseball, has got to be one of the DUMBEST IDEAS ive ever ever ever seen yet. There gonna put that PlayPen in LF? Are you Freaking Kidding ME? that looks HORRRRRRRIBBLE ....put it outside! not ON TOP OF THE CONCOURSE

Unregistered
05-26-2004, 02:16 PM
On the other hand, it is something that will be unique to the Cell - something that no other park has... kinda reminds me of the plans for Armour Field, in a backwards way.

SaltyPretzel
05-26-2004, 02:17 PM
Originally posted by Hondo
Screw the kids!!!

I agree 100% :(:

Tekijawa
Originally posted by jabrch

I bet even Willie Harris could play a decent CF in that park!

jabrch
Originally posted by Hangar18
This in my many years of watching WhiteSOX baseball, has got to be one of the DUMBEST IDEAS ive ever ever ever seen yet. There gonna put that PlayPen in LF? Are you Freaking Kidding ME? that looks HORRRRRRRIBBLE ....put it outside! not ON TOP OF THE CONCOURSE

Hangar, wouldn't it be a good idea for generations of Sox fans to grow up wanting to come to the park, not because it is 1/2 price night, or because of some other promotion, but because they WANT to be there. This might do that. This might generate generations of new Sox fans who love to come to the park. I don't have kids yet myself, but I look forward to someday bringing the little jabrchs out here.

SEALgep
05-26-2004, 02:18 PM
On the other hand, it is something that will be unique to the Cell - something that no other park has... kinda reminds me of the plans for Armour Field, in a backwards way. Did they build a major league park on a little league field? :D:

Hondo
Maybe they'll put a ferris wheel in Right field and we can have cotton candy machines and clowns on stilts walking along the concourse.

jabrch
Originally posted by Tekijawa
I bet even Willie Harris could play a decent CF in that park!

And Rowand would be fast enough to make up for his bad routes!

Unregistered
05-26-2004, 02:19 PM
Post of The Week! :D:

Rocky Soprano
05-26-2004, 02:20 PM
I'll wait to see what it looks like before I make a judgement. But it doesnt look too bad.

SEALgep
05-26-2004, 02:21 PM
I think it's pretty cool, and they said it's the first of the plans, meaning more to come. I'm sure it will be something the adults can appreciate as well, such as a homerun porch or something.

MisterB
05-26-2004, 02:22 PM
CHICAGO - The Chicago White Sox and the Illinois Sports Facilities Authority (ISFA) have announced a portion of the 2005 Phase V renovation plans to U.S. Cellular Field...

... followed by Phase V of Sox Fan Bitching...

sas1974
05-26-2004, 02:23 PM
I like the concept, but I really don't like the execution. It looks very out of place. I will be looking forward to parts 2,3,4, etc of Phase V.

Unregistered
05-26-2004, 02:24 PM
Originally posted by SEALgep
I think it's pretty cool, and they said it's the first of the plans, meaning more to come. I'm sure it will be something the adults can appreciate as well, such as a homerun porch or something. ...or a strip club. I can see the AP release now: "In 2005, the park will feature 'The Two Sides of the Cell: Naughty and Nice'." :D:

FARMEO
05-26-2004, 02:24 PM
I will take the other angle, I hope the minipark doesn't look this bad when it is built. This playland will take the place of the proposed grand entrance off of Wentworth.

Baby Fisk
05-26-2004, 02:26 PM
Holy cats, you people are hilarious. I had to shut my office door while reading this thread. :D:

What we really need is a choo-choo train conducted by a tiger, pulling a giant milk jug atop which sits a brewmeister to travel along the upperdeck where it bumps into a gigantic black top hat, out of which pops a series of bird-themed mascots who beat indian wardrums and throw homer hankies at the fans! Of course, the fans are encouraged to throw the homer hankies back onto the field, which will be trimmed with decorative brick and ivy.

sas1974
I heard they had the plans for a mini Camden Yards, but JR turned them down. :D:

Unregistered
Originally posted by MisterB
... followed by Phase V of Sox Fan Bitching... No way! We're like on Phase LXXXV, easily.

SEALgep
...or a strip club. I can see the AP release now: "In 2005, the park will feature 'The Two Sides of the Cell: Naughty and Nice'." :D: Maybe a boxing ring for Cubs fans who think it's funny to come to our park to harass us.

mantis1212
05-26-2004, 02:27 PM
...or a strip club. I can see the AP release now: "In 2005, the park will feature 'The Two Sides of the Cell: Naughty and Nice'." :D:

LOL Excellent Idea!

MarqSox
05-26-2004, 02:28 PM
My mouth is agape. I think I've said "What the ****?" at least 10 times in the last 2 minutes.

Good lord. I don't even know what to say, except What the ****?

Hondo
05-26-2004, 02:28 PM
Originally posted by sas1974
I heard they had the plans for a mini Camden Yards, but JR turned them down. :D:

It actaully looks about as big as that bandbox. :)

MarqSox
05-26-2004, 02:30 PM
Are we sure nobody hacked the Sox Web site and played a practical joke on us? This looks like something that belongs in The Onion.

Cellview22
05-26-2004, 02:30 PM
I love our park how it is now. I like it spacious, nut cluttered!

All these different phases are making me uneasy. Why not just leave the park how it is and make improvements to the upper deck concourse... how about make an exclusive upper deck ramp that takes UD ticketholders down to a new enclosed "fan deck" near the field. That way UD ticketholders wouldn't feel locked up there; they could actually go down near the field.

That's all they need. The way US Cellular Field looks right now is perfect. No need to screw things up with a distractive attraction that will turn people's attention from the game. IMO, it's lame.

Unregistered
05-26-2004, 02:31 PM
Make way for all the Cubune jokes about certain error-prone Sox players that should be on THAT field during the game...

Rocky Soprano
05-26-2004, 02:32 PM
Why are Sox Fan's always so negative?

The Press Release could of read:

Magglio Ordonez signs 6 year extension, Jose Valentin and John Rauch traded for Josh Beckett, seats to go green, and Reinsdorf sells team to Donald Trump.

And I bet there will still be people complaining!

:whiner: :whiner: :whiner: :whiner: :whiner:

Hondo
05-26-2004, 02:34 PM
Originally posted by Rocky Soprano

Magglio Ordonez signs 6 year extension, Jose Valentin and John Rauch traded for Josh Beckett, seats to go green, and Reinsdorf sells team to Donald Trump.

I'll takle that bet.

doublem23
05-26-2004, 02:37 PM
That looks cool as hell. I wish it had been around when I was a kid.

MRKARNO
05-26-2004, 02:39 PM
Probably going to be pretty similar to the one at SBC park except a lot more visible (I know if we had the coke bottle slide that people on this board would be going absolutely, positively nuts) and I must admit that it's pretty cool. I like the idea and I think it goes in line with the way this organization has been going the past few years in terms of being family-friendly and kid friendly.

Tekijawa
05-26-2004, 02:40 PM
If you look closely at the picture you can see that the out field seats just infront of the Mini-park are empty because we still won't have a 5th starter, most likely lose all of our Free Agents, and a Ball is bouncing around in the stands from Danny Wright warming up for the #3 spot in the bullpen next year in year 3 of the DW-Experiment!

GregoryEtc
05-26-2004, 02:41 PM
[QUOTE]

That little field out there would look WAY better with green seats!... and a home run porch... and a fan deck!

BUT...look on the bright side....ONE FEWER BILLBOARD!

Hondo
05-26-2004, 02:43 PM
They should have faced it towards dowtown.

Brian26
05-26-2004, 02:44 PM

LOL.

Look on the bright side...at least they got rid of one of the GIANT billboards with it.

joeynach
05-26-2004, 02:45 PM

Hangar your not a 10 year little leagure or a dad wioth a couple of kids so you cant talk. Just think about it. Now it givea husband a reason to say "honey lets do our family attraction this week At the sox game, the kids will love the FUNdamentals, the views are geat, and they could use some lessons for little league". Its a good idea. Maybe not the best place for it, but if you look closely not only does it come over the concourse but behind it as well where the stupid billboards and trusses are. Weather u actually use it or not, its great for kids and families, opens up space for maybe for a bar or restaurant where the old one was, and gets rid of those gigantic billboards and truss cages in left. Not too bad you know there is more to come.

Brian26
05-26-2004, 02:47 PM

Hahahahahaha :D:
Nice.

mdep524
05-26-2004, 02:49 PM
I don't even know what to say. This is such a stupid waste of money I can't even fathom it. Yes, it looks cool...but in the left field concourse???? What the hell???? It seriously looks like a joke, and I'll keep hoping it is... :angry:

Hopefully renderings from other angles will not look as ridiculous and busch league as this one.

Do you guys think we could get SpongeBob SquarePants and maybe Barney to sing and dance in left field? Maybe we could reconstruct Pee Wee Herman's playhouse in place of the fan deck too.

CubKiller
05-26-2004, 02:49 PM
Originally posted by MarqSox
This looks like something that belongs in The Onion.

I think that comment by MarqSox is right on the money.

I'm not sure if I should laugh or cry though.

I'm afraid.

Dadawg_77
05-26-2004, 02:51 PM
This is one of the more idiotic ideas I have seen. I understand the attraction for kids part, but inside the park is ****ing recockulous. A much better idea would have been to remove for of the parking in Lot A and put the Park over the old infield. That would have been cool. This is just someone on too little sleep or too many drugs.

This will be mocked heavily.

mdep524
05-26-2004, 02:51 PM
Make way for all the Cubune jokes about certain error-prone Sox players that should be on THAT field during the game...

This is literally the very first thought that came to me right after hearing about this. I GUARANTEE we will hear about that ad nauseum.

doublem23
05-26-2004, 02:52 PM
There's nothing the Sox can do that won't be mocked, anyway. I still really don't see everyone's problem with it, but whatever. If the Sox are trying to garner a more "family-friendly" atmosphere, this is a good idea. I just think half of this thread just has some pent-up pessimism they weren't able to vent off over the weekend.

na_na_na_na
05-26-2004, 02:53 PM
I'm bringing a sign to Fridays Game: NO MINI CELL. This is the worst idea ever. For the cost of building an elevated little league park they could have put in a metra stop!!

wdelaney72
05-26-2004, 02:53 PM
Originally posted by Irishsox1
The mini-ball park is stupid.

I have 2 small boys and I think it's a stupid idea. What a waste of money.

Rocky Soprano
05-26-2004, 02:56 PM
:whiner: They are going to make fun of us :whiner:

:whiner: They are going to hurt my feelings :whiner:

:whiner: The media is going say how stupid this is :whiner:

pinwheels3530
05-26-2004, 03:04 PM

I agree with you there is no pleasing some of the people on this board. First they complain about drunk fans an half price night, then when the sox try do something more family friendly they get all upset. If they were to put a couple a bars up there with a hr porch people would complain about more drunk fans coming to the game that it's not family oriented. I am finally convinced this fan base doesn't know wht they want, but I'll tell you one thing JERRY SPRINGER SOX FANS have been wrong before and their wrong on this one too! The sox are going in the right direction.

POSITIVE SOX FAN HERE!!!! :smile: :smile: :smile:

fledgedrallycap
05-26-2004, 03:04 PM
Originally posted by doublem23
There's nothing the Sox can do that won't be mocked, anyway. I still really don't see everyone's problem with it, but whatever. If the Sox are trying to garner a more "family-friendly" atmosphere, this is a good idea. I just think half of this thread just has some pent-up pessimism they weren't able to vent off over the weekend.

Stated perfectly.

Randar68
05-26-2004, 03:05 PM
All I can say is.... UGH!

There were so many things this money could have been better spent on in terms of renovations to be made...

Unless this is besically the back-drop of a LF HR-porch, ie. even or higher than the top row of said HR-Porch, it makes it into a Mickey-mouse horse-crap amusement park.

Absolute Crap.

EDIT: Reserving total judgement until all parts of this phase are revealed.

MRKARNO
05-26-2004, 03:07 PM

I totally agree. The White Sox could announce that they will change the Kosher hot dog brand to Hebrew National from Best's Kosher and there would probably be a 10 page thread here ranting about how we shouldnt have the same Kosher hot dogs as Wrigley field.

Features like this are becoming a staple of the new parks in baseball and the renovation plan was meant to bring the cell up to speed 15 years. I believe that this is a step towards accomplishing that. I dont see what everyone is bitching about. If you dont like it, fine, dont go there. Dont look at it if you dont want to.

nitetrain8601
05-26-2004, 03:07 PM
Originally posted by na_na_na_na
I'm bringing a sign to Fridays Game: NO MINI CELL. This is the worst idea ever. For the cost of building an elevated little league park they could have put in a metra stop!!

The Metra thing they really have no say. They could demand it, but it's not like they can put a stop there themselves.

I don't think it's half bad. You guys need to chill out. It's for the kids. Everyone just thinks about themselves when it comes to the ballpark. I don't have any kids and I think it's a great idea. It's turning the ballpark into the opposite of the ToiletBowl up north.

With this though, I don't see a HR porch being built.

And Hangar you're the one always complaining about billboards, but yet when they do something and it doesn't benefit Hangar directly, it's a crock of ****?

ChiSox7
05-26-2004, 03:09 PM
This is one of the more embarrassing threads I have ever read. Some people are acting like this is your money. Who cares is other people don't like it. Why would other people not like it? I mean, I'm speechless at this thread much more than the new phase. This is just embarassing.

pinwheels3530

Hangar you watch whitesox baseball I couln't tell from all your post here, you always seem to talk about the cubs, quit whinning :whiner: :whiner: :whiner: :whiner: :whiner:

leon1973
I love a clean, uncluttered, traditional baseball park as much as anybody. But this is a great idea for the kids -- they get to play a little ball and still be able to see the big leaguers at the same time. I bet my young nephew would enjoy this more than watching the game until he gets old enough. Who gives a damn what columnists or other fans say?

As for the opinions that this creates a carnival atmosphere -- it may be somewhat out of place from your protypical park, but this feature is about baseball and letting kids play. Its not like a swimming pool or ferris wheel.

That being said -- on a more selfish note, I hope they do add some other features in this phase that are more conventional (another bar or restaurant, green seats, whatever).

mdep524

Sorry, but this is not accurate- or applicable. First of all, baseball decisions are different than ballpark decisions. Second of all, it is easy to bask Sox fans for being negative, but you have to take it on a case by case basis. If your ficitonal press release had been announced, things would be much different than inefficiently spending MILLIONS of dollars to turn Comiskey Park into a day care center, when this same Fundamentals structure could easily have been put elsewhere in the park.

I mean honestly, do the Sox ever TEST an idea before they implement it? Was there research done on this thing? Did they have a test market of fans? I doubt it.

ZachAL
05-26-2004, 03:11 PM
Originally posted by MRKARNO
I totally agree. The White Sox could announce that they will change the Kosher hot dog brand to Hebrew National from Best's Kosher and there would probably be a 10 page thread here ranting about how we shouldnt have the same Kosher hot dogs as Wrigley field.

More like a 20 page thread. Have you ever tasted the kosher dogs at Comiskey?? If they were to change those we'd have problems.

Tekijawa
05-26-2004, 03:12 PM
Originally posted by pinwheels3530
I am finally convinced this fan base doesn't know wht they want, ...

I want a World Series on the southside... They can put up fifty of the stupid little parks, move the park to the middle of Compton and have it over looking Chernobyl, and leave one blue seat for me in the 28th row of the upper, just give me one Championship! I'd would settle for more than one too... I'd give up the good stuff too, I'd park fiftteen blocks away and walk in the worst of weather through the worst of neighborhoods, I'd give up the great food and half priced ticket nights for 4 wins in one world series!!!

fledgedrallycap
05-26-2004, 03:14 PM

:) :)

ChiSox7
05-26-2004, 03:14 PM
I want a World Series on the southside... They can put up fifty of the stupid little parks, move the park to the middle of Compton and have it over looking Chernobyl, and leave one blue seat for me in the 28th row of the upper, just give me one Championship! I'd would settle for more than one too... I'd give up the good stuff too, I'd park fiftteen blocks away and walk in the worst of weather through the worst of neighborhoods, I'd give up the great food and half priced ticket nights for 4 wins in one world series!!!

Seriously. Right on. I want to win. With their money, they can do whatever the F they want to do with their park. It's not like it even looks that bad. People bitch just to bitch around here. Nonstop.

pinwheels3530
05-26-2004, 03:15 PM

I remember a couple a days ago you posted that you talked someone from your office to go to a game with their kid and it was to expensive, don't you think he/she would appreciate being able to take their kid to do something interactive and have fun at the game and it would more than make up for the cost of the tickets. This going to be a good attraction for families!!

Hondo
05-26-2004, 03:16 PM
I agree with you there is no pleasing some of the people on this board. First they complain about drunk fans an half price night, then when the sox try do something more family friendly they get all upset. If they were to put a couple a bars up there with a hr porch people would complain about more drunk fans coming to the game that it's not family oriented. I am finally convinced this fan base doesn't know wht they want, but I'll tell you one thing JERRY SPRINGER SOX FANS have been wrong before and their wrong on this one too! The sox are going in the right direction.

POSITIVE SOX FAN HERE!!!! :smile: :smile: :smile:

Hey Pollyanna,

I donít like this because itís sensory overload. I donít want a HR porch, or bars, or a mini field or a Jiffy Lube or anything. I like the concourse the way it is. Is that all right with you? Am I allowed to have a dissenting opinion?
Why characterize people who donít like this idea or any other into a ďJerry Springer FanĒ category or anything else? The reasons people will or WONíT like it are going to be varied.
Am I supposed to be a sycophant and cow tow to anything this organization decides to do?
I love the new roof, I like many of the moves KW makes, I am plenty positive about enough with this team.
I think a little league field on the concourse to babysit some kids who arenít mine is dumb. Thatís my opinion. I donít have kids, so Iím strictly speaking for MYSELF.
On the other hand itís better than have to listen to the little ankle bitters yell ďHey Magglio, Hey Magglio.Ē Over and over again for 45 minutes straight.

Baby Fisk
05-26-2004, 03:16 PM
Originally posted by ChiSox7
This is one of the more embarrassing threads I have ever read. Some people are acting like this is your money. Who cares is other people don't like it. Why would other people not like it? I mean, I'm speechless at this thread much more than the new phase. This is just embarassing.
No way ChiSox7. This is one of the funniest threads I have ever read. It encapsulates all the RAGE, JOY, HYSTERIA, APPLAUSE, DISAPPOINTMENT, GRIEF, NEGATIVITY, PESSIMISM, OPTIMISM, HOPEFULNESS, DELIGHT, AND BRUTAL SARCASM that makes White Sox Baseball such a unique and obsessive thing in one's life.
:)

Randar68
05-26-2004, 03:17 PM
Originally posted by ChiSox7
Seriously. Right on. I want to win. With their money, they can do whatever the F they want to do with their park. It's not like it even looks that bad. People bitch just to bitch around here. Nonstop.

No, people thought about many ways to improve both the aesthetic issues still remaining, the "nothing to do in and around the park" issue, the HR-Porch or other ALL fan-friendly aspects of improvements that could have been made, yet they chose to do this as a "Major Announcement".

CHISOXFAN13
05-26-2004, 03:20 PM

I, for one, thought you would be happy because this will eliminate some of the billboards.

MRKARNO
05-26-2004, 03:22 PM
If someone were to ask me what White Sox fans were like, I would have them read the press release, let them think about it on their own for 5 minutes and show them this thread.

na_na_na_na
05-26-2004, 03:23 PM
Originally posted by nitetrain8601
The Metra thing they really have no say. They could demand it, but it's not like they can put a stop there themselves.

From what I've heard the main stumbling block for a 35th street metra stop is who would fund it.

I don't think it's the sox's responsibility to fund it but I would rather have that than this dumb fundamentals thing.

There isn't just one way to appeal to families. How about making it easier to get to the game from the Southwest Suburbs?

Kilroy
05-26-2004, 03:23 PM
I have to say, why all the love of a home run porch? To me, that is one dumb-ass idea. You can't go home again people. We'll never have the old ball-yard back, and adding fabricated nostalgia is lame.

I've got young ones who play ball, but we almost never get to the game in time to go to fundamentals. That it will be open during the game and I can still watch the game while they can play is great.

pinwheels3530
05-26-2004, 03:28 PM
Hey Pollyanna,

I donít like this because itís sensory overload. I donít want a HR porch, or bars, or a mini field or a Jiffy Lube or anything. I like the concourse the way it is. Is that all right with you? Am I allowed to have a dissenting opinion?
Why characterize people who donít like this idea or any other into a ďJerry Springer FanĒ category or anything else? The reasons people will or WONíT like it are going to be varied.
Am I supposed to be a sycophant and cow tow to anything this organization decides to do?
I love the new roof, I like many of the moves KW makes, I am plenty positive about enough with this team.
I think a little league field on the concourse to babysit some kids who arenít mine is dumb. Thatís my opinion. I donít have kids, so Iím strictly speaking for MYSELF.
On the other hand itís better than have to listen to the little ankle bitters yell ďHey Magglio, Hey Magglio.Ē Over and over again for 45 minutes straight.

So what if this little league park draws more families to the park then it will be addition to the park. There is no need to get all upset count to 10 everything is going to ba all right!

pudge
05-26-2004, 03:30 PM
Maybe they'll put a ferris wheel in Right field and we can have cotton candy machines and clowns on stilts walking along the concourse.

I guarantee that would draw more kids than the FUNdaMENTAL park.

na_na_na_na
I guess I just have a hard time understanding paying for a kids ticket just so they can spend the game playing around in fundamentals. While you try to watch from there instead of your seats.

I know when I was a kid I'd rather watch the game with my dad and then go field grounders at home after than miss the game while working on my swing.

StockdaleForVeep
Screw the kids!!!

Does this mean all of us wsi posters since we're avg of a higher age bracket, wont be able to partake in this FUNdementals because its for kids? I mean, i wouldnt mind gettin loaded with a couple of pals and then doin some nice FUNdementals....its certain to be FUNdemantal for ALLLLL!

We're living in a city where we raised all the buildings so the swamp thing wouldnt eat us, why cant we lift comiskey and rotate it so we have a better view of the city rather than put in something FUNdemental?

pinwheels3530

I want a championship too, but when comes to everything else some people here don't have a clue.

RustyKuntz
05-26-2004, 03:35 PM
The real flaw in this plan is targeting kids in the first place.

I'm in marketing and just had a similar discussion at lunch. During the 90's, Las Vegas thought it could increase business by attracting more families. It was a miserable failure.

Problem is, 6 year olds don't spend money on booze and slots. And parents already have all their money tied up in their kids, so they don't spend money on booze and slots.

Now Vegas is catering to the Adult interests, and raking in the profits because of it.

If you look at the most popular parks in baseball, they don't cater to the kids; Fenway, Wrigley, etc. (sure, they're also ballpark icons, but go with me on this)

Baseball needs to cater to the 20-somethings. They are the ones with expendable income. They buy the booze, they go to games and stay out late.

Then, when they have kids, they will drag them to a game and create new fans.

maurice
05-26-2004, 03:38 PM
The most generous thing I can say is that the idea is unique. However, unique is not always a good thing.

Unless this is a minor aspect of Phase V, the coming renovations appear to be a huge waste of time and money. JR once again misidentified the problem with attendance and ignored the proper market. From an architectural perspective, the pic they released amounts to a complete about face from previous, attractive improvements.

Cellview22
05-26-2004, 03:41 PM
Are they gonna build an outdoor Spa?

How about a waterpark?

Or what about a bowling alley?

Who wants to watch the game, I'd rather visit the bowling alleys in LF :?: .

EDIT: Wait, I have another idea. Wherever there's space, they HAVE to build a miniature golf mountain.

jabrch
05-26-2004, 03:43 PM
Originally posted by RustyKuntz
Baseball needs to cater to the 20-somethings. They are the ones with expendable income. They buy the booze, they go to games and stay out late.

The problem is that by age 20, they already are Sox fans or Cubs fans. We need to start getting them younger and make the Sox fans, not finding people who are adultish and trying to make them Sox fans.

Frater Perdurabo
05-26-2004, 03:43 PM
Originally posted by Randar68
EDIT: Reserving total judgement until all parts of this phase are revealed.

This is the most intelligent and reasoned response I have seen in this entire thread. Let's all just stop hyperventilating for a minute.

First, the rendering is from an elevation and angle from which none of us will ever see it unless we have have a helicopter or cantilevered 50-foot ladder extending out from the fan deck in center. I imagine that the view of the real field from the mini-field will actually be awesome. If that encourages more kids to grow up as Sox fans, great! And it won't look like this when viewed from other parts of the stadium, either. When I was a kid, I loved walking around the park and looking at the field from lots of different angles. In fact, I still like to see things from different angles and elevations. The brickwork and dark iron metal look rather nice, IMHO. And the structure seems to offer multiple vantage points from which it could be interesting to watch a few pitches.

Second, moving Fundamentals there opens up the spot where it is now for bars, offices, ramps, etc.

Third, this is only one part or Phase V. Now if the final part of the plan includes erecting a giant phallus in right field, well, then, I too will hang my head in shame. :smile:

Lighten up everyone!

Dadawg_77
05-26-2004, 03:45 PM

Features like this are becoming a staple of the new parks in baseball and the renovation plan was meant to bring the cell up to speed 15 years. I believe that this is a step towards accomplishing that. I dont see what everyone is bitching about. If you dont like it, fine, dont go there. Dont look at it if you dont want to.

So I shouldn't go to the park. This thing looks like it will be an eye sore.

Jjav829
05-26-2004, 03:47 PM
I don't get all the bitching. Maybe I'm wrong here, but the amount of the FUNdamental field you'll see would seem to be very little. The area is elevated to approximately the club level. So the only time you'll really be able to see anything in that area would be if you are in the upper deck. From a lower level box seat, you likely won't be able to see anything more than the very front rail. I could be wrong here as there are no sketches from a distance but I don't think this will be an eye sore at all. The only thing I would worry about is if they plan on putting real lights on the fake dugouts. That could potentially be a distraction to lefties. Maybe that's their plan! Screw the other teams by messing with their left handed hitters, and let our right handed hitters mash. :smile:

Hey Brooks reads the site, maybe he can clarify this. :smile:

lths06
I am a current high school student. Lots of my friends are Cubs fans, and we are always on one another's backs with every win and loss. I cant even imagine what I'm going to get when they find out they put a kids place high on top of LF. Total waste of the $, IMO. The only way I can see this working is if they put a home run deck in right.

santo=dorf

WOW, is that stupid~! I'm glad to see that they are focused with replacing the 6,600 lost seats.
:gallas

''Where are the puppies supposed to sit?"

Dadawg_77
05-26-2004, 03:49 PM
Originally posted by CHISOXFAN13
I, for one, thought you would be happy because this will eliminate some of the billboards.

Maybe but you couldn't imagine they would do something worse.

Irishsox1
05-26-2004, 03:52 PM
It's been 2 hours since I first saw the mini-ball park photo and I am still very upset by this idea/plan. The White Sox have spent the last 3 years fixing up the Cell to look interesting and now in one full swoop, they have completely reversed all the progress. The mini-park doesn't look cool inside the stadium, it looks totally out of place. As for the kids, I have no problems with teaching kids baseball, but why out in left field? Do you expect some kid to go up there during the game and take swings? Yes, adding extra things for kids to do during the game is nice, but hasn't this gone way too far? The stadium already has concessions, apparel shops, pitching machine, television screens, jumbo scoreboards, organ music and pop music pumped in every second when the game isn't being play or and by the way a MLB game going on!! The left field mini-ball park is overkill and it doesn't fit the new fixed up stadium, a little too minor leagueish for me. I'm going to write the White Sox and voice my opinion on this.

Tekijawa
05-26-2004, 03:53 PM

Did you know that Best Kosher really isn't a Kosher product?

Frater Perdurabo
05-26-2004, 03:53 PM
Originally posted by RustyKuntz
The real flaw in this plan is targeting kids in the first place.

I'm in marketing and just had a similar discussion at lunch. During the 90's, Las Vegas thought it could increase business by attracting more families. It was a miserable failure.

Problem is, 6 year olds don't spend money on booze and slots. And parents already have all their money tied up in their kids, so they don't spend money on booze and slots.

Now Vegas is catering to the Adult interests, and raking in the profits because of it.

If you look at the most popular parks in baseball, they don't cater to the kids; Fenway, Wrigley, etc. (sure, they're also ballpark icons, but go with me on this)

The Ballpark in Arlington, er, Ameriquest Field (where the Rangers play) has a mini baseball field for the kids out on center field concourse. Rangers games are packed with families. In fact, when my wife and I went to a Rangers-Sox games last season, we had to move because I don't like to sit next to loads of little kids with sticky fingers. There was a family whose son was having a 7th or 8th birthday party with eight of his friends. It was annoying to my wife and me, but guess what, the Rangers sold 11 tickets to that family. There were 40,000 people at that game that night, against a non-division rival with 100-degree temperatures during August of a losing season.

Those kids will grow up Rangers fans. The Sox are wise to try to grow a young fan base, as annoying as it may be to the childless 20-somethings among us (like me).

GregoryEtc
05-26-2004, 03:59 PM
No pools like in Arizona. No ferris wheels or marry-go-rounds like in Detroit. No lame attractions like bernie brewer's slide or the NYMets' apple, et al.

This addition is ALL ABOUT BASEBALL. Its all about what people should be at the ballpark for in the firstplace.

All of you who have a problem with this.....

WHO CARES!

ITS NOT FOR YOU!

Its for the 6 year old who can't learn to hit because his town's t-ball league folded because all the kids wanted to play soccer! Its all about the kids. Its for families who don't want to take their kids innocent ears to the urinal-smelling beer garden 11 miles to the north.

And this will be a MAJOR attraction whether you like it or not.

My 4 year old son LOVES going to baseball games. He sits on my lap and asks questions. But he's FOUR. He can't be expected to sit there all game without getting a few ants in his pants.

I live in michigan so I go to a lot of Tiger games. I thank god for other things to do around that park besides trying to keep him from throwing bits of soft pretzle at other fans. But I have to tell you, if Comerica had one of these FUNdamental areas instead of those stupid carnival rides, that would ROCK!

Well done, White Sox.

onesox
05-26-2004, 04:01 PM
I like it !!! I agree the view they give us it does not look good, but we all want something unique about the cell. Let us see how this plays out.....I think we will all like when we see more of it.

Rocky Soprano
Originally posted by GregoryEtc
No pools like in Arizona. No ferris wheels or marry-go-rounds like in Detroit. No lame attractions like bernie brewer's slide or the NYMets' apple, et al.

This addition is ALL ABOUT BASEBALL. Its all about what people should be at the ballpark for in the firstplace.

WHO CARES!

ITS NOT FOR YOU!

Its for the 6 year old who can't learn to hit because his town's t-ball league folded because all the kids wanted to play soccer! Its all about the kids. Its for families who don't want to take their kids innocent ears to the urinal-smelling beer garden 11 miles to the north.

My 4 year old son LOVES going to baseball games. He sits on my lap and asks questions. But he's FOUR. He can't be expected to sit there all game without getting a few ants in his pants.

I live in michigan so I go to a lot of Tiger games. I thank god for other things to do around that park besides trying to keep him from throwing bits of soft pretzle at other fans. But I have to tell you, if Comerica had one of these FUNdamental areas instead of those stupid carnival rides, that would ROCK!

Well done, White Sox.

AWESOME POST!

GregoryEtc, Im happy to hear that you and your son would enjoy something like this.

Obviously the Sox were thinking about people like you and your son.

Irishsox1
Originally posted by Frater Perdurabo
The Ballpark in Arlington, er, Ameriquest Field (where the Rangers play) has a mini baseball field for the kids out on center field concourse.

The difference in Texas is the mini-park is out in dead center set back. For that layout and design, a mini-park makes sense, but not out in left field where it sticks out like a sore thumb. The idea of family fun at the Cell is not the problem, its sticking a mini-park in left field over the concorse.

SEALgep
05-26-2004, 04:02 PM
Originally posted by Frater Perdurabo
The Ballpark in Arlington, er, Ameriquest Field (where the Rangers play) has a mini baseball field for the kids out on center field concourse. Rangers games are packed with families. In fact, when my wife and I went to a Rangers-Sox games last season, we had to move because I don't like to sit next to loads of little kids with sticky fingers. There was a family whose son was having a 7th or 8th birthday party with eight of his friends. It was annoying to my wife and me, but guess what, the Rangers sold 11 tickets to that family. There were 40,000 people at that game that night, against a non-division rival with 100-degree temperatures during August of a losing season.

Those kids will grow up Rangers fans. The Sox are wise to try to grow a young fan base, as annoying as it may be to the childless 20-somethings among us (like me). That is an important point. Trying to draw a new fan base is best done by getting them young. This is the kind of move that will help draw in more revenue. I would rather see more families and kids if it also meant more money for players in order to have an even better team. Plus I think it's kind of cool. It's not obstructing anything, and they are going to do other things in the Phase V, so I don't see a problem, as of yet.

Dadawg_77
05-26-2004, 04:02 PM
The difference in Texas is the mini-park is out in dead center set back. For that layout and design, a mini-park makes sense, but not out in left field where it sticks out like a sore thumb. The idea of family fun at the Cell is not the problem, its sticking a mini-park in left field over the concorse.

Exactly my thoughts.

rdivaldi
05-26-2004, 04:03 PM
The "amusement park" argument really doesn't hold any water fellas. You realize that they're going to be teaching and playing baseball up there, right?

Targeting kids is exactly what this organization needs to do. There are way too many impressionable minds being warped out there by the Tribune machine.

SEALgep
05-26-2004, 04:04 PM
The difference in Texas is the mini-park is out in dead center set back. For that layout and design, a mini-park makes sense, but not out in left field where it sticks out like a sore thumb. The idea of family fun at the Cell is not the problem, its sticking a mini-park in left field over the concorse. It would actually be a good thing for people to get out of the rain in the outfield instead of having to go down the lines cover. Plus, it's not as if it extends to even left center. It's just part of left field.

Dadawg_77
05-26-2004, 04:04 PM
That is an important point. Trying to draw a new fan base is best done by getting them young. This is the kind of move that will help draw in more revenue. I would rather see more families and kids if it also meant more money for players in order to have an even better team. Plus I think it's kind of cool. It's not obstructing anything, and they are going to do other things in the Phase V, so I don't see a problem, as of yet.

You are not going to hook kids by some mini park in left field. You hook kids by hooking their parents and putting the games on TV. That is how the cubs built up, kids who liked baseball watch their games after school while Dad couldn't afford to buy ON TV, and they had to be in bed by the 6th inning.

onesox
05-26-2004, 04:06 PM
I take it back....now looking at it....I LOVE IT

SEALgep
05-26-2004, 04:07 PM
Originally posted by Dadawg_77
You are not going to hook kids by some mini park in left field. You hook kids by hooking their parents and putting the games on TV. That is how the cubs built up, kids who liked baseball watch their games after school while Dad couldn't afford to buy ON TV, and they had to be in bed by the 6th inning. This will help hook kids and their parents. If parents like the atmosphere, then they'll bring their kids to experience it. That's how you hook parents.

leon1973
05-26-2004, 04:07 PM
Originally posted by GregoryEtc

WHO CARES!

ITS NOT FOR YOU!

Well done, White Sox.

Great Post!

Baby Fisk
05-26-2004, 04:08 PM
Accomplished in just a hair over two hours....

:tomatoaward

rdivaldi
05-26-2004, 04:08 PM
You are not going to hook kids by some mini park in left field. You hook kids by hooking their parents and putting the games on TV. That is how the cubs built up, kids who liked baseball watch their games after school while Dad couldn't afford to buy ON TV, and they had to be in bed by the 6th inning.

But you have to understand that times have changed. With the advent of the new Comcast deal, the Flubbies really won't have much of a broadcast advantage over us. You have to find ways to make sure that kids have fun at the ballpark. When some kid who loves baseball sees that there is a mini-ballpark at the field he is going to turn to dad and ask him if he can go play there.

I'm not crazy about the way it looks, but it is a good idea. They can still put up the home run porch in right field.

hose
05-26-2004, 04:10 PM
I think it's a good idea and will turn out to be a hit with the fans.

Heck the new mini Cell's power alleys are deeper than Wrigleys.

Dadawg_77
05-26-2004, 04:11 PM
Originally posted by rdivaldi
But you have to understand that times have changed. With the advent of the new Comcast deal, the Flubbies really won't have much of a broadcast advantage over us. You have to find ways to make sure that kids have fun at the ballpark. When some kid who loves baseball sees that there is a mini-ballpark at the field he is going to turn to dad and ask him if he can go play there.

I'm not crazy about the way it looks, but it is a good idea. They can still put up the home run porch in right field.

I honestly think this will make the park more a joke then it is.

I understand the broadcast advantage is lessen but there has to be other ways to capitalize on it then this. Maybe this is the reason Gallas left.

rdivaldi
05-26-2004, 04:21 PM
I honestly think this will make the park more a joke then it is.

I understand the broadcast advantage is lessen but there has to be other ways to capitalize on it then this. Maybe this is the reason Gallas left.

I doubt that's why Gallas left, this actually looks like the kind of thing he would do. Why do you think the park is a joke? I love going to the Cell to watch a game. A joke of a ballpark would be more like BOB in Arizona. There's a swimming pool in center field for pete's sake, and it's a freakin' carnival in the entrance ways.

Eddie Gaedel
05-26-2004, 04:22 PM
pacbell has a similar attraction. plus they have a mini (?) jumbotron in the outfield that shows the kids when they're at the plate. i would have loved it when i was 10. there's nothing wrong with getting some more kids out to the ballpark. money money money!

pinwheels3530
05-26-2004, 04:25 PM
Originally posted by rdivaldi
The "amusement park" argument really doesn't hold any water fellas. You realize that they're going to be teaching and playing baseball up there, right?

Targeting kids is exactly what this organization needs to do. There are way too many impressionable minds being warped out there by the Tribune machine.

EXACTLY!!!

CubKilla
05-26-2004, 04:29 PM
Interesting to say the least. Will "FUNdamentals" be taught during the regularly scheduled game on the "Big Boys" field? Will kids be brought to the game for this and/or will the actual game be an afterthought? A generation of northside fans has been stereotyped as such. How do you suppose this attraction will look with the necessary netting in LF that will be required to go around it? Hell of an idea to draw the fans with disposable income to the games. At least now when they say, "The Kids Can Play", they really mean it..... and in LF nonetheless.

This is a friggin' joke.

jlh0023
05-26-2004, 04:34 PM
the intention is good, but before they do it they have to think of the integrity of the team, the park, and the true fans. it will make the cell the laughing stock of parks....plus some people do want to watch the game.

by the way, i don't understand where this is going, is it gonna be right in the large open pathway under the scoreboard?

batmanZoSo
05-26-2004, 04:35 PM
That thing looks a million times better than those billboards. When it's said and done, it will be a lot more appreciated for what it brings aesthetically. The black steelwork is a good theme they have going on throughout the park. That's also not a very flattering picture of it. From the seating level, you're not going to be able to see that it's a diamond up there. And it'll offer a rain-free place to stand.

We also can't really see to the left or right of the structure which you can tell clearly extends a good way on either side. Hopefully they have some general standing areas up there much like the "fan deck" which is always full.

I think it fits in with our park. We don't have the scenic backdrop that a Wrigley or a Jacobs field have, so we have to enclose the park with various "amenities" like this and that elusive home run porch we've been waiting for. We're not restricted by a city grid, so we should do what they did in Turner Field and add a lot of neat stuff in the outfield area. If they're gonna call it a "ball mall" we might as well make it one.

Mickster
05-26-2004, 04:36 PM
Originally posted by santo=dorf
WOW, is that stupid~! I'm glad to see that they are focused with replacing the 6,600 lost seats.

Why replace them? For 4 games per year? Pleeeeezzzzeee!!

CubKilla
05-26-2004, 04:36 PM
Originally posted by jlh0023
the intention is good, but before they do it they have to think of the integrity of the team, the park, and the true fans. it will make the cell the laughing stock of parks....plus some people do want to watch the game.

by the way, i don't understand where this is going, is it gonna be right in the large open pathway under the scoreboard?

Gonna be built over the LF concourse from what I can tell. All or most of LF will be "awninged" off..... so to speak.

batmanZoSo
05-26-2004, 04:38 PM
Originally posted by jlh0023

It's going to be just to the right of where the left side upper deck ends, eliminating the corner billboard. From the looks of the pic (which again isn't a very good one as far as giving us an idea of what it's gonna be like) it looks like it'll stretch at least the width of the Sox bullpen from the foul pole and over two or three sections.

pearso66
05-26-2004, 04:38 PM
Am I the only one who thought that the OF of this thing could be like a fan deck? If you look at it, the OF is roped off and then there is another area, for parents i'm assuming. If you turn around, you have basically another fan deck like the on in CF but in LF. I have no problem with this thing, i just hope they do it well. I agree, if they had something like this when I was a kid, I would have begged my parents to take me there. Heck once in a while if i get there early enough, I still do the pitch thingy. I think this could work

Chisox_cali
05-26-2004, 04:39 PM
I find it quite ironic in this thread that a mini-field built for a children's amusment is causing grown adults to complain...just like children.

batmanZoSo
05-26-2004, 04:40 PM
Originally posted by Mickster

:reinsy
"6,000 (seats) X 4 (dates) X 50 (dollars per person) = 1.2 million...
Happy Birthday to MEEEE!"

batmanZoSo
05-26-2004, 04:43 PM
Originally posted by pearso66
Am I the only one who thought that the OF of this thing could be like a fan deck? If you look at it, the OF is roped off and then there is another area, for parents i'm assuming. If you turn around, you have basically another fan deck like the on in CF but in LF. I have no problem with this thing, i just hope they do it well. I agree, if they had something like this when I was a kid, I would have begged my parents to take me there. Heck once in a while if i get there early enough, I still do the pitch thingy. I think this could work

Good points. This isn't just about appearances..though in my opinion it'll be an upgrade over any stupid billboard. You gotta win the kids over....in 15 years they'll be buying season tickets

nitetrain8601
05-26-2004, 04:43 PM
Most of you people act like it's going to effect your view of the game which it won't. It's for the kids. I don't even have a kid and I like it. It will attract more people which means more tickets being sold. It's not like you guys go to the game to watch the fundamentals area, it's to watch the game so stop acting like little babies. You're there to look at the field, not the damn Fundamentals ballpark.

Most of you guys just complain, complain, complain. Nothing the Sox do will ever make you happy with the exception of JR selling which won't happen. Deal with it.

When I have children, I would be glad bringing my child here. At least there won't be any fights in the little league ballpark like you drunks like to do in the stands..

pinwheels3530
05-26-2004, 04:50 PM
Originally posted by Chisox_cali
I find it quite ironic in this thread that a mini-field built for a children's amusment is causing grown adults to complain...just like children.

LOL!!!

CubKilla
05-26-2004, 04:52 PM
At least there won't be any fights in the little league ballpark like you drunks like to do in the stands..

So the drunks are the only one's that don't like the first part of Phase 5?

Interesting.

pinwheels3530
05-26-2004, 04:52 PM
Most of you people act like it's going to effect your view of the game which it won't. It's for the kids. I don't even have a kid and I like it. It will attract more people which means more tickets being sold. It's not like you guys go to the game to watch the fundamentals area, it's to watch the game so stop acting like little babies. You're there to look at the field, not the damn Fundamentals ballpark.

Most of you guys just complain, complain, complain. Nothing the Sox do will ever make you happy with the exception of JR selling which won't happen. Deal with it.

When I have children, I would be glad bringing my child here. At least there won't be any fights in the little league ballpark like you drunks like to do in the stands..

:o:

Yorke97
05-26-2004, 04:54 PM
This in it itself is not a bad idea, the timing and location are way off. Us loyal fans have been juiced for this big announcement, and it disreputes our beautiful ball field.

Has anyone ever see the little league park built on County Stadium in Milwaukee? They have a beatiful little league field there and the Sox have a similar situation but instead have a few parking spots. This FUNdamentals things actually looks good, but it has no business on our concourse. White Sox fans are no-nonsense fans, and will never accept this phase fully. The ballpark is about watching what is on the field, not being distracted from what is on the field. I am truly dissappointed by this announcement and hope the organization seriously reconsiders it.

pudge
05-26-2004, 04:56 PM
AWESOME POST!

GregoryEtc, Im happy to hear that you and your son would enjoy something like this.

Obviously the Sox were thinking about people like you and your son.

Ya know, Greg has just pointed out why this is NOT a good idea... Because it attracts kids that ALREADY like baseball....

The Sox continue to not understand that you need to attract the casual crowd if you ever want to have full houses...

I'm going to tell ya'll something right now and you're not gonna like the sound of it: We need more people in the stands who don't know much about baseball if we want to consistently sell out the park. Sorry, that's called reality.

mantis1212
05-26-2004, 04:58 PM
Originally posted by pudge
Ya know, Greg has just pointed out why this is NOT a good idea... Because it attracts kids that ALREADY like baseball....

The Sox continue to not understand that you need to attract the casual crowd if you ever want to have full houses...

I'm going to tell ya'll something right now and you're not gonna like the sound of it: We need more people in the stands who don't know much about baseball if we want to consistently sell out the park. Sorry, that's called reality.

Well, those kids who already like baseball will have to choose between two teams. This should help them choose the right team. :smile:

SEALgep
05-26-2004, 05:02 PM
Originally posted by pudge

I'm going to tell ya'll something right now and you're not gonna like the sound of it: We need more people in the stands who don't know much about baseball if we want to consistently sell out the park. Sorry, that's called reality. ALREADY like baseball? Who else is going to be at a game anyway? It's not trying to get kids to like baseball, it's trying to get kids to like the Sox. Anyone who doesn't like baseball isn't going to be convinced to pay for a ticket no matter what they do for the park anyway.

batmanZoSo
05-26-2004, 05:07 PM
ALREADY like baseball? Who else is going to be at a game anyway? It's not trying to get kids to like baseball, it's trying to get kids to like the Sox. Anyone who doesn't like baseball isn't going to be convinced to pay for a ticket no matter what they do for the park anyway.

That's simply not true. I know many people who hate baseball but go to a game every now and then. They like to drink....

Hell that's how the cubs fill up their park every day.

SEALgep
05-26-2004, 05:14 PM
Originally posted by batmanZoSo
That's simply not true. I know many people who hate baseball but go to a game every now and then. They like to drink....

Hell that's how the cubs fill up their park every day. So are these people not going to come drink at the Cell because there's a little league park in left? I really could care a less if those fans were replaced by families who were actual fans.

soxnut
05-26-2004, 05:24 PM
Hangar you watch whitesox baseball I couln't tell from all your post here, you always seem to talk about the cubs, quit whinning :whiner: :whiner: :whiner: :whiner: :whiner:

No kidding. :whiner: :whiner: :whiner: :?:

soxnut
05-26-2004, 05:25 PM
Good points. This isn't just about appearances..though in my opinion it'll be an upgrade over any stupid billboard. You gotta win the kids over....in 15 years they'll be buying season tickets

Exactly! :D:

soxnut
05-26-2004, 05:35 PM
Originally posted by Chisox_cali

You're right. I've never seen so many adults act like selfish children. I bet the kids that go to the new Fundamentals could teach them a thing or two.

This new area is a great idea. And I think it will look great as well. It will be a draw for parents to take their kids now. When families are up there, and the parents still want to watch the game, they will be able to do so---instead of having it outside--in which noone is able to watch the game.

Jerko
05-26-2004, 05:36 PM
Time to start working now on moving my season tix back to right field next year. A park for the little kids is fine, but come on. Maybe they better start Phase VI where they build a "mini-Wrigleyville" over the Beers of the World stand so at least I can piss on a "neigborhood front lawn" after the game since it seems there's going to be no bathrooms from the fan deck to the left field line in the outfield anymore.

maurice
05-26-2004, 05:39 PM
The mini-diamond idea still blows in that location, but I'll forgive them if it's part of a greater renovation of the LF corner that includes a grand entrance.

batmanZoSo
05-26-2004, 05:40 PM
So are these people not going to come drink at the Cell because there's a little league park in left? I really could care a less if those fans were replaced by families who were actual fans.

There are families out there that consist of a dad who doesn't really care about baseball, a woman and a few little kids who would all have a good time at a game. You have to like baseball to watch it on tv. You don't need to like it to go to a game.

Most importantly though, we need to win. If we can at least put together an Indians-type run we'll draw more and more every year. There's no shortage of people out there, we just gotta lure them in.

soxnut
Originally posted by Jerko
Time to start working now on moving my season tix back to right field next year. A park for the little kids is fine, but come on. Maybe they better start Phase VI where they build a "mini-Wrigleyville" over the Beers of the World stand so at least I can piss on a "neigborhood front lawn" after the game since it seems there's going to be no bathrooms from the fan deck to the left field line in the outfield anymore.

:whiner: :whiner:

SEALgep
Time to start working now on moving my season tix back to right field next year. A park for the little kids is fine, but come on. Maybe they better start Phase VI where they build a "mini-Wrigleyville" over the Beers of the World stand so at least I can piss on a "neigborhood front lawn" after the game since it seems there's going to be no bathrooms from the fan deck to the left field line in the outfield anymore. Why won't there be bathrooms? It shouldn't affect anything under it.

batmanZoSo
05-26-2004, 05:42 PM
Originally posted by soxnut
You're right. I've never seen so many adults act like selfish children. I bet the kids that go to the new Fundamentals could teach them a thing or two.

This new area is a great idea. And I think it will look great as well. It will be a draw for parents to take their kids now. When families are up there, and the parents still want to watch the game, they will be able to do so---instead of having it outside--in which noone is able to watch the game.

I don't know exactly where the curent FUNdamentals area is, but if it's that cold, windswept dungeon along the right side escalators, I can see why they moved it.

SEALgep
05-26-2004, 05:43 PM
There are families out there that consist of a dad who doesn't really care about baseball, a woman and a few little kids who would all have a good time at a game. You have to like baseball to watch it on tv. You don't need to like it to go to a game.

Most importantly though, we need to win. If we can at least put together an Indians-type run we'll draw more and more every year. There's no shortage of people out there, we just gotta lure them in. There's no substitute to winning. However, those people you were referring to doesn't seem like they'll be affected by any additions to the park, so it doesn't hurt. However, there are plenty of people who will be affected by this for the better, and those are the people the Sox are targeting with this move.

soxnut
05-26-2004, 05:47 PM
Originally posted by maurice
The mini-diamond idea still blows in that location, but I'll forgive them if it's part of a greater renovation of the LF corner that includes a grand entrance.

I think the the whole thing is a good idea. It may be the case that this is part of the grand entrance. As long as something is done to the outfirled area to give it more character, and if this is the idea, then great. If this is the plan, I see no need for the homerun porch considering it will just consist of more seats, and really a ballpark shouldn't have more than 42,000 anyway.

soxnut
05-26-2004, 05:49 PM
I don't know exactly where the curent FUNdamentals area is, but if it's that cold, windswept dungeon along the right side escalators, I can see why they moved it.

Yeah that's it. It's a good idea, but it's always been in the wrong place IMO. What they plan on doing is a much better location.

TDog
05-26-2004, 05:50 PM
No, people thought about many ways to improve both the aesthetic issues still remaining, the "nothing to do in and around the park" issue, the HR-Porch or other ALL fan-friendly aspects of improvements that could have been made, yet they chose to do this as a "Major Announcement".

A home run porch is not fan-friendly. Maybe it is to fans watching on television, but it isn't for the fans sitting in it or under it. I liked the park the way it was last year. I haven't seen it this year and couldn't compare. But I've been in and under the Dew Deck in Milwaukee. In Miller Park, by the way, there are thousands of bad seats.

Regardless of whether of like this idea, it is far better than a home run porch.

RedPinStripes
05-26-2004, 05:58 PM
I wouldnt put it past the White Sox to sneak a HR porch in over the winter. This would be just like their pr dept to announce something for the kids and not say anything about what everyone wanted. If a HR porch was in RF, I'd like to see the plans that can get around blocking the view from the stadium club.

batmanZoSo
05-26-2004, 05:58 PM
Originally posted by TDog
A home run porch is not fan-friendly. Maybe it is to fans watching on television, but it isn't for the fans sitting in it or under it. I liked the park the way it was last year. I haven't seen it this year and couldn't compare. But I've been in and under the Dew Deck in Milwaukee. In Miller Park, by the way, there are thousands of bad seats.

Regardless of whether of like this idea, it is far better than a home run porch.

In every park there are thousands of bad seats, but attendance figures keep proving that people don't care about bad seats. NY, Boston and Chicago (N) are three of the biggest draws in baseball and all have decrepit, run-down, out-dated stadiums with some really bad sightlines and, yes, plenty of overhangs and poles to go around.

I don't know about you but when I'm on the concourse, I feel like I'm on the shoulder of an expressway...you got the endless expanse of concrete below you and giant billboards above you. The place needs to be cozied up, it needs some character. Right now, it's pretty much the same experience wherever you sit.

soxnut
05-26-2004, 06:03 PM
Originally posted by RedPinStripes
I wouldnt put it past the White Sox to sneak a HR porch in over the winter. This would be just like their pr dept to announce something for the kids and not say anything about what everyone wanted. If a HR porch was in RF, I'd like to see the plans that can get around blocking the view from the stadium club.

The Sox announced a PORTION of phase V. I'm sure they will announce the rest of phase V in time, just like they have done with all of the other renovation. I don't really think there is a way to "sneek" in anything that would be that visible during the winter. You've got people driving by the ballpark constantly--and enough pesky Sox fans that want to know to keep them on their toes and have to answer. :smile:

TDog
05-26-2004, 06:05 PM
In every park there are thousands of bad seats, but attendance figures keep proving that people don't care about bad seats. NY, Boston and Chicago (N) are three of the biggest draws in baseball and all have decrepit, run-down, out-dated stadiums with some really bad sightlines and, yes, plenty of overhangs and poles to go around. ...

Creating more bad seats with a home run porch, which would sacrifice seats that some people really like, is not the answer.

Jerko
05-26-2004, 06:05 PM
Why won't there be bathrooms? It shouldn't affect anything under it.

It looks like that whole wall is gone but maybe I need to see a better picture of it.

soxnut
05-26-2004, 06:09 PM
It looks like that whole wall is gone but maybe I need to see a better picture of it.

So what............... they'll have a pot on the back of every seat instead of cupholders. :D:

SEALgep
It looks like that whole wall is gone but maybe I need to see a better picture of it. I'm sure they have bathrooms there, and if not, I'm sure they have a suitable substitute very near there. These are moves that cost lots of money, and I'm sure they've thought about bathrooms.

sas1974
I think the front railing and the iron work to the left/rear is going to create an interesting silhouette.

RedPinStripes
05-26-2004, 06:11 PM
Originally posted by soxnut
The Sox announced a PORTION of phase V. I'm sure they will announce the rest of phase V in time, just like they have done with all of the other renovation. I don't really think there is a way to "sneek" in anything that would be that visible during the winter. You've got people driving by the ballpark constantly--and enough pesky Sox fans that want to know to keep them on their toes and have to answer. :smile:

People would notice, but it would be just like the Sox to have people talking about it and wondering what they're doing.

soxnut
05-26-2004, 06:14 PM
Originally posted by RedPinStripes
People would notice, but it would be just like the Sox to have people talking about it and wondering what they're doing.

Yeah I suppose. It did take them awhile to announce ther phase IV plans, considering they were working on the park before anything was annonced. But, it was eventually announced. What a tease they can be...............

Al Capone
05-26-2004, 06:16 PM
THAT SUCKED!!!!!! :angry:

batmanZoSo
05-26-2004, 06:18 PM
Originally posted by TDog
Creating more bad seats with a home run porch, which would sacrifice seats that some people really like, is not the answer.

But you can make a home run porch that doesn't hang over the entire bowl, just enough to allow a few long ones to land up there. Yankee stadium doesn't have poles or anything, but the upper deck there almost overhangs the fence.

inta
05-26-2004, 07:00 PM
god some people on here need to lighten up.

it's for the kids. if i was a kid i'd be begging my dad every night to take me to sox park so i could play on that field, which will have an awesome view of the stadium.

I can imagine this being the talk of every schoolyard in the chicagoland area.

it's also taking away one of the ridiculously oversized billboards in our stadium. which I'm all for.

this isn't wrigley, we have an exploding billboard and a bar in the outfield. so save the purist mumbojumbo.

it's not like we have a ferris wheel or a train running through our park. (god i hope one of those things isnt announced later for phase V...)

Hangar18
05-26-2004, 07:02 PM
Hangar, wouldn't it be a good idea for generations of Sox fans to grow up wanting to come to the park, not because it is 1/2 price night, or because of some other promotion, but because they WANT to be there. This might do that. This might generate generations of new Sox fans who love to come to the park. I don't have kids yet myself, but I look forward to someday bringing the little jabrchs out here.

How did the Yankees get Generations of Fans to come to the Park. Winning Baseball and NOT Alienating the Fan Base. Putting a Glorified PlayPen in LF my god what a freaking joke. Is this really happening? Unreal.

FoulTerritory
05-26-2004, 07:14 PM

I agree with this statement. I also think the mini-park is a prototypical example of adults thinking they know what kids want. Now, maybe this thing would be appealing to kids that are 4 and under, but really, when I was a kid, I would not have wanted to go to that thing. I just wanted to watch major league baseball when I was at the game. Whatever happened to watching bp and and the routines of the players as the warm up, and all the subtle joys of going to a pro game. Putting in a mini-diamond is a bit strange, and over the top if you ask me. I just don't think this is going to make a major difference in drawing kids to sox games.

And frankly, while I respectfully disagree with those who think this is a good idea, I do not think it is very effective rhetoric to just accuse any dissenters of "whining" or "crying" and stating that all sox fans are always unhappy bitchers. On the whole, this message board has been extremely pleased with and supportive of all of the changes made in phases I-IV, and if some of us chose to not like the fundementals thing, then we should feel free to openly offer our dissenting opinions. I just really don't like it. I think its ugly, and likely will turn out to be largely a waste of money. And, as said, I think it is a misplaced attempt to connect with kids -- which is important, but imho, not in this rather aesthetically intrusive playground, that I think few kids over four years old will really enjoy in the first place.

Hangar18
05-26-2004, 07:18 PM
Originally posted by Brian26
LOL.

Look on the bright side...at least they got rid of one of the GIANT billboards with it.

Yeah ............ Replaced an Oversized, Out of Scale Billboard with an Oversized, Out of Scale PlayPen. Hey Brooks ...........thats not what I had in mind :angry: :angry: :angry:

PHASE XV. 2025 Sox and IFSA today announce the demolition and relocation of the FUNdamentals PlayPen. "We initially thought it was going to be a great idea, but it looked terribly out of place and was detrimental to the over-all ambience were going for, for our fans. It also didnt bring us the Generations of Fans that we were looking for when we built it back in 2005. We've decided to just invest in the team instead and get better players"

Hangar18
05-26-2004, 07:24 PM
I'm sure they have bathrooms there, and if not, I'm sure they have a suitable substitute very near there. These are moves that cost lots of money, and I'm sure they've thought about bathrooms.

The Bathrooms formerly on the LF Concourse will now be Moved to the Area formerly Occupied by Fundamentals, near the entrances to the Stadium Outside

FoulTerritory
05-26-2004, 07:26 PM
Yeah ............ Replaced an Oversized, Out of Scale Billboard with an Oversized, Out of Scale PlayPen. Hey Brooks ...........thats not what I had in mind :angry: :angry: :angry:

PHASE XV. 2025 Sox and IFSA today announce the demolition and relocation of the FUNdamentals PlayPen. "We initially thought it was going to be a great idea, but it looked terribly out of place and was detrimental to the over-all ambience were going for, for our fans. It also didnt bring us the Generations of Fans that we were looking for when we built it back in 2005. We've decided to just invest in the team instead and get better players"

I was just thinking along these lines as well. I actually wouldn't be surprised if this "thing" is renovated into something else within 5 years. The novelty will wear off, and they'll end up putting a restaurant up there or something or perhaps just an area to mingle and loiter, who knows . . .

Hangar18
05-26-2004, 07:30 PM
:whiner: They are going to make fun of us :whiner:

:whiner: They are going to hurt my feelings :whiner:

:whiner: The media is going say how stupid this is :whiner:

This is one insult, hurled by a Cub Fan, that I will NOT be able to Defend. I cant begin to tell everyone just how Incredibly Stupid this is. THEY COULDVE REMADE A MINI OLD COMISKEY across the Street..............FACING DOWNTOWN......with minilites and everything.........THAT wouldve had people all over baseball talking......... How many mistakes can a Major (allegedly) League team make, before its too late?

Parrothead
05-26-2004, 07:34 PM
I have to agree with the majority of people in here. I think the fundmental thing is bad. Not only is it in the wrong place but it is not needed. I talked to my nephew (no I don't have kids) who is 13 and he said he would not go up there. He enjoys running around the park and going to see the game from different angles and places with his friends, just as I did when I was a kid. Another problem with this is that it still depends on parents bringing thier kids to the game. Parents seem to be doing this on the weekends but during the week when school is in section the park is still empty, it will always be because kids are in school. This is what happens when you market towards families instead of the casual fan. I could imagine that prices of tickets will go up again next year thus pricing out more families. I don't have any answers except I would put seats behind home plate and maybe connect the existing fan deck with another one in left, if they want to build something there.

lths06
05-26-2004, 07:43 PM
I suggest that all of us who think the fundamental deck is a bad idea write to the White sox about it like I have.

whitesoxbaseball@whitesox.mlb.com

SEALgep
05-26-2004, 07:48 PM
The Bathrooms formerly on the LF Concourse will now be Moved to the Area formerly Occupied by Fundamentals, near the entrances to the Stadium Outside Figures, the place is a **** hole already. :D:

Hondo
05-26-2004, 07:58 PM
I've had some time to think about it and have calmed down quite a bit.
I still think it's a dopey idea but whatever.
Like Randar I'll reserve total judgment until it's done.

-I don't have kids or know any so I could give a crap about this mini ballpark. (And since I am a fan and go to games I stupidly think my personal opinion counts for something)
-I think it's esthetically unpleasing from the artist rendering.
-Don't believe it will bring too many more people to the park short term since to take a family of four to any MLB game it's still costs quite a bit and don't buy kids will strap their allegiance to a team because they had a playpen to hang out in while their folks were watching the game
-Am under the impression that this is an INTERNET MESSAGE BOARD so for all those people rolling their eyes at those who got excited or angry about this get off your high horse. I'll admit I can be a bit of a reactionary when it comes to trivial things like this but isn't that part of the fun of it?

Anyway. If the Sox win it all they can have a petting zoo, carnival, skating rink and a toys r' us back there for all I care.

Jerry_Manuel
05-26-2004, 08:16 PM
I'm not really angry about this, nor am I to excitied. Sorta meh.

I guess I'll just wait and see how it looks next season and can comment on it then.

This concept has been in the works for some time, so by no means is this on Brooks whether people love it or hate it.

StockdaleForVeep
05-26-2004, 08:18 PM
We should boycot goin to comiskey to voice our displeasure for this concept...then they will learn....oh wait...a boycot would be barely noticable....DAMN U JR!

Jerry_Manuel
05-26-2004, 08:27 PM
Oh man I just had a thought.

Hangar, can't you just picture little Darren Baker up there next year during the Cubs-Sox series. We'll have some lame thing on all the local stations with Darren and one of the Sox kids. :o:

Dadawg_77
05-26-2004, 08:40 PM
Originally posted by FoulTerritory
I agree with this statement. I also think the mini-park is a prototypical example of adults thinking they know what kids want. Now, maybe this thing would be appealing to kids that are 4 and under, but really, when I was a kid, I would not have wanted to go to that thing. I just wanted to watch major league baseball when I was at the game. Whatever happened to watching bp and and the routines of the players as the warm up, and all the subtle joys of going to a pro game. Putting in a mini-diamond is a bit strange, and over the top if you ask me. I just don't think this is going to make a major difference in drawing kids to sox games.

And frankly, while I respectfully disagree with those who think this is a good idea, I do not think it is very effective rhetoric to just accuse any dissenters of "whining" or "crying" and stating that all sox fans are always unhappy bitchers. On the whole, this message board has been extremely pleased with and supportive of all of the changes made in phases I-IV, and if some of us chose to not like the fundementals thing, then we should feel free to openly offer our dissenting opinions. I just really don't like it. I think its ugly, and likely will turn out to be largely a waste of money. And, as said, I think it is a misplaced attempt to connect with kids -- which is important, but imho, not in this rather aesthetically intrusive playground, that I think few kids over four years old will really enjoy in the first place.

ditto, I am not crying but voicing my displeasure with it. Of course it could be done very well and I won't have concerns with it, but I just think it is a horrible location.

Viva Magglio
05-26-2004, 08:46 PM
My inital reaction to this: ROFLMAO!!!!!!!!

rahulsekhar
05-26-2004, 08:58 PM
We've decided to just invest in the team instead and get better players"

Ummmm.....the $$$ for renovations cannot be used for payroll, only facility improvements, so the "invest in the team instead" of the deck argument disappears.

Let me see if I have this right: most of those with young kids like it, most without do not. Guess what - IT'S TARGETED AT THOSE WITH YOUNG KIDS!!! So apparently the Sox have successfully identified something that families with kids will like.

As has been said - things like this are in many of the newer parks because it makes it easier to bring kids to the game, it attracts kids to the game once they've seen it or been there before, and you know what: These types of things are what youth of today are interested in. Times change, and in an MTV/soundbite/videogame world, you need more than just the game to attract the casual fan and especially kids. Remember - kids aren't going to spend the whole game there, it'll likely be most crowded between the 3d & 7th innings.

Also, don't go overboard based on an artists rendering, I've seen the one like this at Pac Bell and it doesn't intrude on the field at all. And it certainly doesn't detract or disract from anyone's view of the game.

So virtually no downside and some decent upside = good move.

BeerHandle
05-26-2004, 09:50 PM
Looks COOL!

No Green Seats? No HR Porch? Ordonez resigns? Adding a SP?

Seriously, that's a nice touch. That will be great for being fan friendly and making more kids WANT to come to Comiskey Park. I like the idea very much. I look forward to hearing more of Phase V.

I think it is pretty cool and I don't have kids. This is a great move by the Sox to develop their fan base while they are young. Can you imagine playing on the mini-field when you are 7 years old. AWESOME!

rahulsekhar
05-26-2004, 09:52 PM
Originally posted by BeerHandle
I think it is pretty cool and I don't have kids. This is a great move by the Sox to develop their fan base while they are young. Can you imagine playing on the mini-field when you are 7 years old. AWESOME!

Imagine being 7, playing on the field, and having the fans cheer (due to the game, but a 7-yr old won't care). Or batting and pretending to be Frank Thomas after he's just gone deep.

These are things that will hook kids and make them Sox fans for life. And this type of experience for kids won't change Cub fan parents & their kids, it can bring parents without an allegiance to either team to USCF and get them and their kids following and rooting for the Sox.

BeerHandle
05-26-2004, 09:52 PM
Originally posted by Viva Magglio
My inital reaction to this: ROFLMAO!!!!!!!!

I'm not a big NTERNET poster other then on WSI and I get lost by all these DAMN acronyms. What does ROFLMAO mean?

Jerry_Manuel
05-26-2004, 09:53 PM
I'm not a being INTERNET poster other then hear and I get lost by all these DAMN acronyms. What does ROFLMAO mean?

Rolling on Floor Laughing My Ass Off.

Viva Magglio
05-26-2004, 09:55 PM
I'm not a being INTERNET poster other then hear and I get lost by all these DAMN acronyms. What does ROFLMAO mean?

ROFLMAO = Rolling On (the) Floor Laughing My Fat A[rse] Off

CubKilla
05-26-2004, 09:59 PM
This is one insult, hurled by a Cub Fan, that I will NOT be able to Defend. I cant begin to tell everyone just how Incredibly Stupid this is. THEY COULDVE REMADE A MINI OLD COMISKEY across the Street..............FACING DOWNTOWN......with minilites and everything.........THAT wouldve had people all over baseball talking......... How many mistakes can a Major (allegedly) League team make, before its too late?

I was thinking the same thing. A little league type field using the old homeplate from Old Comiskey Park would have been a much more suitable location for this garbage.

"You're probably right..... but then I'm going to lose some precious parking $$$$$."

BeerHandle
05-26-2004, 10:00 PM
How did the Yankees get Generations of Fans to come to the Park. Winning Baseball and NOT Alienating the Fan Base. Putting a Glorified PlayPen in LF my god what a freaking joke. Is this really happening? Unreal.

The Yankees do put winning teams on the field; howerver they have 27 million fans to draw from.

The fact of the matter is the a lot of the Sox fans will never come back. I believe the Sox organization realizes this fact and are making a strategic move to attract the youth to USCF and grow an interest in the Sox and ultimately be a Sox fan!

Hangar - if you were 7-9 years old you would be begging your dad to take you to play on that field rather then count articles in the paper (all in good fun!).

BeerHandle
05-26-2004, 10:03 PM
Originally posted by CubKilla
I was thinking the same thing. A little league type field using the old homeplate from Old Comiskey Park would have been a much more suitable location for this garbage.

"You're probably right..... but then I'm going to lose some precious parking $$$$$."

Who cares about Cub Fans? College grad move here after college, start their fist job and then move back to their hometown in smalltown USA.

PEOPE ON THIS BOARD SHOULD STOP WORRYING ABOUT CUB FANS AND WORRY ABOUT SOX FANS!

Lip Man 1
05-26-2004, 10:03 PM
Just wondering...

Is this it for the phase V renovations or will more announcements be coming later in the season? I am under the impression that more work will be announced as the season goes on.

True or false.

Thank you.

Lip

SEALgep
05-26-2004, 10:05 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
Just wondering...

Is this it for the phase V renovations or will more announcements be coming later in the season? I am under the impression that more work will be announced as the season goes on.

True or false.

Thank you.

Lip There will be more. It said that this was the first of the Phase V renovations to be unveiled.

MRKARNO
05-26-2004, 10:06 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
Just wondering...

True or false.

Thank you.

Lip

The title of the press release is "White Sox and ISFA announce first of Phase Five upgrades"

"CHICAGO - The Chicago White Sox and the Illinois Sports Facilities Authority (ISFA) have announced a portion of the 2005 Phase V renovation plans to U.S. Cellular Field, which feature a 15,000-square-foot baseball and softball skills instruction area for kids, to be located above the left field concourse."

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/cws/news/cws_press_release.jsp?ymd=20040526&content_id=752832&vkey=pr_cws&fext=.jsp

beckett21
05-26-2004, 10:06 PM
Originally posted by rahulsekhar

These are things that will hook kids and make them Sox fans for life. And this type of experience for kids won't change Cub fan parents & their kids, it can bring parents without an allegiance to either team to USCF and get them and their kids following and rooting for the Sox.

I agree. I don't understand where all the outrage comes from. People want fan-friendly, this is fan-friendly.

Are there people out there who are going to stop going to the games because of this? I would hope not. To each his own I guess.

I'm curious to see what it actually looks like, but I don't understand how it will detract from the game in any way, shape or fashion. Seems like a good idea to me. And for the record, I do not have any kids. Just because it does not directly enhance MY experience does not make it a bad idea or a waste of resources.

chisox06
05-26-2004, 10:10 PM
That mini ballpark looks 100% absoloutely ridiculous. Keep that crap away from the ballpark. Something like that in plain view makes no sense at all, what does that accomplish? Talk about a waste of space that could be used for a more suitable idea.

Realist
05-26-2004, 10:10 PM
If there wasn't already a FUNdamentals area in the park for kids, I'd say this is a great idea. There already is a FUNdamentals area, but it looks dark and dreary and not very inviting, so this is at best just a good idea.

I'm always for anything for the kids, and this is for the kids. However, it looks like it will take away from the late afternoon sun on the left field concourse and I like hanging out there for that. I'm lukewarm on the this.

1951Campbell
05-26-2004, 10:11 PM
Imagine being 7, playing on the field, and having the fans cheer (due to the game, but a 7-yr old won't care). Or batting and pretending to be Frank Thomas after he's just gone deep.

When I was seven I thought seeing actual MLB players up close, playing ball was cool. And that was more than enough for me.

CubKilla
05-26-2004, 10:13 PM
Hangar - if you were 7-9 years old you would be begging your dad to take you to play on that field rather then count articles in the paper (all in good fun!).

I wouldn't. My attention when I was 7 was directed at the game being played on the field while my dad explained the game to me. And before the game, I was more into batting practice and watching the players throw the ball around than doing at the ballpark what I did everyday as a kid with my friends during the summer. All I needed was some snacks and a program during the game and I was in childhood nirvana.

CubKilla
05-26-2004, 10:15 PM
Who cares about Cub Fans? College grad move here after college, start their fist job and then move back to their hometown in smalltown USA.

PEOPE ON THIS BOARD SHOULD STOP WORRYING ABOUT CUB FANS AND WORRY ABOUT SOX FANS!

What does my post have to do with or about the Cubs?

rahulsekhar
05-26-2004, 10:20 PM
Originally posted by chisox06
That mini ballpark looks 100% absoloutely ridiculous. Keep that crap away from the ballpark. Something like that in plain view makes no sense at all, what does that accomplish? Talk about a waste of space that could be used for a more suitable idea.

It looks like it will only be in "plain view" from the upper deck (or, I suppose the blimp providing overhead TV shots when the Sox are in the Series). From anywhere in the lower bowl it will look a lot like a fan deck behind the LF stands (i.e. not overhanging them).

beckett21
05-26-2004, 10:24 PM
I wouldn't. My attention when I was 7 was directed at the game being played on the field while my dad explained the game to me. And before the game, I was more into batting practice and watching the players throw the ball around than doing at the ballpark what I did everyday as a kid with my friends during the summer. All I needed was some snacks and a program during the game and I was in childhood nirvana.

Agreed, and I share your feelings in that regard. However.....not everyone is as zealous about baseball and the Sox as you or I or the majority of posters on this board.

Unfortunately, many people actually find the game of baseball to be quite boring. :o:

Blasphemous for me to mention this I know. I for one am not one of those people. But this is a way to get families into the ballpark and spend their entertainment dollars on the Sox who otherwise wouldn't have thought twice about venturing into that dangerous neighborhood.

Kids can still watch the game with dad. I fail to see who is being harmed by this. I understand the concern with aesthetics, but beyond that I truly don't see how this is a problem.

rahulsekhar
05-26-2004, 10:27 PM

Kids today do not have the attention span or the sports dedication that we did (assuming you're roughly my age of 33 or older). 15-20 years ago, kids spent a lot of time outside playing sports, etc. Now they spend time on computers, in front of the TV, playing videogames, etc. When they do get out and play, more often that not it's basketball or something else besides baseball.

Now bring those kids to a game, and they're not as into it and dont' have the ability to sit and watch for stretches. So this a)gives them another activity/attraction, b)makes that a baseball-related one so that hopefully they begin to get some enjoyment from the game and (dreaming a bit) hopefully go play it more on their own.

This is a good idea for kids of today. And with the placement, I don't think it's going to interfere with the enjoyment of the rest of the fans (only the UD will really see it).

chisox06
05-26-2004, 10:31 PM
It looks like it will only be in "plain view" from the upper deck (or, I suppose the blimp providing overhead TV shots when the Sox are in the Series). From anywhere in the lower bowl it will look a lot like a fan deck behind the LF stands (i.e. not overhanging them).

I understand what your saying but regardless its a stupid location for an otherwise cool idea. The concourse should be made to give a better enhancement to the play on the field, not something that wastes space and takes away from it. If thats located outside of the park or even within it (but not within the concourse area) I think it would be great.

MRKARNO
05-26-2004, 10:32 PM
Well this move was clearly not intended for the diehards here on this board. It was intended for families (which includes some of us) and the casual fan (which includes none of us). Not everything is directed towards the diehard fan, but most of it is.

santo=dorf
05-26-2004, 10:33 PM
Originally posted by Mickster

What about the World Series?

santo=dorf
05-26-2004, 10:41 PM
So how long until someone complains that their family of four can only afford upper deck tickets, but they aren't allowed to go to the playpen because they are in the upperdeck? Here's a couple of ideas; make the upper deck family oriented and build that playpen crap somewhere up there. How about an elevated bar or restaurant or a "Crow's nest" Where people can get another view of the game in the left-field concourse?

nut_stock
05-26-2004, 10:47 PM
So how long until someone complains that their family of four can only afford upper deck tickets, but they aren't allowed to go to the playpen because they are in the upperdeck? Here's a couple of ideas; make the upper deck family oriented and build that playpen crap somewhere up there. How about an elevated bar or restaurant or a "Crow's nest" Where people can get another view of the game in the left-field concourse?

I'd imagine that it would be accessible from the left field ramps so anyone in the park could enter it. I gotta say that I love the idea. I've been wanting to take my nephews to Chicago for a ballgame and this would make it much easier. Whomever posted about kids attention span getting shorter these days is correct. The only baseball park these kids have been to is GMC Stadium, home of the "Gateway Grizzlies" of the frontier league. Anyways, even with all the promotions, and gimmiks of minor league ball, they still want to get up and do something else for a little while rather than watch the game from start to finish.

Parrothead
05-26-2004, 10:49 PM
I was just reading the press release again and I noticed that it said "The new FUNdamentals area will be accessible from all levels of the ballpark." Just how high is this thing going to be? I did not see any ramps on the drawing. I assuming that it will be the same height as the terrace level. I don't know. To me this is bad placement of the thing and it is not needed. I am just going on what kids (9 to 13) have told me. Maybe these kids are too old for this. :?:

Parrothead
05-26-2004, 10:51 PM

I love that idea.

anewman35
05-26-2004, 10:53 PM
Originally posted by Parrothead
To me this is bad placement of the thing and it is not needed. I am just going on what kids (9 to 13) have told me. Maybe these kids are too old for this. :?:

What people don't seem to understand is that just because YOU don't think it's needed or useful, other people might not agree. Bullpen Sports Bar lovers, what if somebody came up and said "I don't drink, so we shouldn't have a bar"? I don't think you'd like it too much. This doesn't hurt anybody in any way, and it makes the game more enjoyable for some. What's the harm?

mantis1212
05-26-2004, 10:56 PM
Originally posted by Parrothead
I was just reading the press release again and I noticed that it said "The new FUNdamentals area will be accessible from all levels of the ballpark." Just how high is this thing going to be? I did not see any ramps on the drawing. I assuming that it will be the same height as the terrace level. I don't know. To me this is bad placement of the thing and it is not needed. I am just going on what kids (9 to 13) have told me. Maybe these kids are too old for this. :?:

Take a look at the picture again, it looks like they actually could build a ramp/staircase case comes down from the leftfield upper deck area to the top of the whole playpen area. That might be one way they do it...

nasox
05-26-2004, 10:58 PM
:tomatoaward

chisox06
05-26-2004, 10:59 PM
Originally posted by anewman35
What people don't seem to understand is that just because YOU don't think it's needed or useful, other people might not agree. Bullpen Sports Bar lovers, what if somebody came up and said "I don't drink, so we shouldn't have a bar"? I don't think you'd like it too much. This doesn't hurt anybody in any way, and it makes the game more enjoyable for some. What's the harm?

The Bullpen Sports Bar isnt elevated on top of the concourse.

nasox
05-26-2004, 11:02 PM
My problem is that it messes with the symmetry we pride ourselves with (being comiskey tradition and all). So would the home run porch, but that would be a nice change, not a kiddie diamond on top of a concourse. I need to see more artistic/computor renderings and the like to make more of a judgement.

pearso66
05-26-2004, 11:07 PM
For those who complain about not being able to go on the lower concourse when you have tickets for the UD, if this is accessable from both, maybe a fan could wander down to the LD. That could solve the argument of popularity of goin to the LD??

rahulsekhar
05-26-2004, 11:11 PM
Originally posted by nasox
So would the home run porch, but that would be a nice change, not a kiddie diamond on top of a concourse.

Why is an HR porch good but a kids area bad? This is a place where kids can go and learn about the game, have some fun, and still be around the actual game (i.e. watch while they're waiting in line or more importantly - let their parents watch while they're playing).

Same question for a restaurant/bar (the "crow's nest" idea). I fail to see how something unrelated to baseball like a bar, something that serves a small segment of the fan base (i.e. those who go to the bar) is in any way different from the kids deck which IS related to baseball, helps develop interest in and knowledge of the sport for young&future fans, and also serves a segment of the fan base (kids & their parents).

Sounds to me like a "I won't use it.....it sucks, it should have been something good for ME!".

The current FUNdamentals area in a word - sucks. It's in a dungeon, and you have to literally remove yourself from the game to take your kids there. As a parent, that's terrible. This lets you & the kids continue to enjoy the game, and makes the FUNdamentals experience better without detracting from the experience for everyone else.

rahulsekhar
05-26-2004, 11:12 PM
Originally posted by pearso66
For those who complain about not being able to go on the lower concourse when you have tickets for the UD, if this is accessable from both, maybe a fan could wander down to the LD. That could solve the argument of popularity of goin to the LD??

Hmmm.....how long before we see "rent my kid to get to the LD" for upper deck fans to make their way through the new deck?

NonetheLoaiza
05-26-2004, 11:14 PM
wait...wait...a mini ballpark full of little kids looking over the bleachers in left field? FANTASTIC. they can teach the fundamentals of fighting too. poor park placement.

GoSox2K3
05-26-2004, 11:24 PM
Originally posted by MisterB
... followed by Phase V of Sox Fan Bitching...

LMAO!
People on this website always seem to be complaining about the most ridiculous things.
Low attendance: Sox fans aren't supporting the team!
Good attenance: Some fans at the game are (gasp!) casual fans! I wish they'd stay home!
People only want to sit in lower deck: Not a real fan if this is keeping them away from the park.
People who sit in the upper deck: Cheapskates who deserve to be secluded in the upper deck!

I don't know why people think this project is so terrible.
Maybe part 2 of Phase V of the renovations will be to build a wall around the section of the park for all the "true fans" from WSI so that they can stay in their own little world and not have the general public spoil their ballpark experience.

nitetrain8601
05-26-2004, 11:45 PM
Originally posted by GoSox2K3
LMAO!
People on this website always seem to be complaining about the most ridiculous things.
Low attendance: Sox fans aren't supporting the team!
Good attenance: Some fans at the game are (gasp!) casual fans! I wish they'd stay home!
People only want to sit in lower deck: Not a real fan if this is keeping them away from the park.
People who sit in the upper deck: Cheapskates who deserve to be secluded in the upper deck!

I don't know why people think this project is so terrible.
Maybe part 2 of Phase V of the renovations will be to build a wall around the section of the park for all the "true fans" from WSI so that they can stay in their own little world and not have the general public spoil their ballpark experience.

That's what I'm saying. Everyone who doesn't like it don't like it because it isn't about them and that irritates the hell out of them. I bet if they decided to move the Bullpen Sports Bar up there, those same people would be jumping for joy. The new Fundamentals area won't effect you from watching the game. It's not going to change the game. The focus will still be on the field for those people. I guess that's not good enough.

Like you guys keep saying, All I need is the game and I was happy to see the players. Well act like it you little bitches.

CHISOXFAN13
05-26-2004, 11:50 PM

I remember viewing images of ideas you thought would be wise.

Tell me how a gigantic beer bottle in left field is any better than this idea.

Please!

pinwheels3530
05-27-2004, 12:02 AM
That's what I'm saying. Everyone who doesn't like it don't like it because it isn't about them and that irritates the hell out of them. I bet if they decided to move the Bullpen Sports Bar up there, those same people would be jumping for joy. The new Fundamentals area won't effect you from watching the game. It's not going to change the game. The focus will still be on the field for those people. I guess that's not good enough.

Like you guys keep saying, All I need is the game and I was happy to see the players. Well act like it you little bitches.

Your right LMAO!!

pinwheels3530
05-27-2004, 12:06 AM

Please!

Yes I remeber that Hangar and his great MGD bottle above the left field concourse. That SUCKKKKKKKKKEDDDDD!!!!!
IN all my years of watching whitesox baseball i Never .....your ideas were bad hangar get over it!!!

Jerko
05-27-2004, 12:12 AM
Why are we so sure kids will automatically love this idea? My 6 year old niece loves going to baseball games, but she hates her T-ball infield practice. I can see it now; Hey niece, come to the Sox game with me so you can practice your grounders. Please. Plus, if FUNDAMENTALS was such a great thing, maybe a player or 2 on the White Sox would have known how to execute one in the last 5 years. Plus, someone called me a whiner for wanting to move my season tickets out of left field after this monstrosity is built. I wonder where his season tickets are?

mjb
05-27-2004, 12:20 AM
The concept is interesting and the ironwork structure looks pretty neat, but the placement seems wrong. Why not put this in the Right Field concourse????

Save the Left Field Concourse for something more interesting such as a two-to-three story structure that would effectively replace the Left Field exit ramp and provide a gateway to the existing Left Field Concourse and Upper Deck.

The structure could incorporate a new White Sox Hall of Fame, a Grand Entrance, and a Restaurant/Bar with a Rooftop patio (i.e., a new version of McCuddy's) with fantastic views of Downtown Chicago and the field. The Grand Entrance would provide the park with a new focal point and improve access to public transportation links (e.g. the Red Line and a potential Metra Rock Island stop at 35th Street).

One of the best views in the entire park is from the Left Field Exit Ramp. Why not take advantage of it and build something that would effectively "re-connect" the park with the city and neighborhood?

Think of the potential television views from this type of structure:
(1) Looking forward you would have a great view of the playing field;
(2) On your right would be downtown Chicago; and
(3) On your left would be the world famous White Sox Pinwheel Scoreboard.

This would be one of the most unique spots in the entire city and a major tourist attraction. In addition, the structure could provide year-round revenue to the organization through special event rentals, meetings, etc.

The idea to improve FUNdamentals is great! But move the structure to a different location!!!!

Jerko
05-27-2004, 12:34 AM
Originally posted by mjb
The concept is interesting and the ironwork structure looks pretty neat, but the placement seems wrong. Why not put this in the Right Field concourse????

Save the Left Field Concourse for something more interesting such as a two-to-three story structure that would effectively replace the Left Field exit ramp and provide a gateway to the existing Left Field Concourse and Upper Deck.

The structure could incorporate a new White Sox Hall of Fame, a Grand Entrance, and a Restaurant/Bar with a Rooftop patio (i.e., a new version of McCuddy's) with fantastic views of Downtown Chicago and the field. The Grand Entrance would provide the park with a new focal point and improve access to public transportation links (e.g. the Red Line and a potential Metra Rock Island stop at 35th Street).

One of the best views in the entire park is from the Left Field Exit Ramp. Why not take advantage of it and build something that would effectively "re-connect" the park with the city and neighborhood?

This would be one of the most unique spots in the entire city and a major tourist attraction. In addition, the structure could provide year-round revenue to the organization through special event rentals, meetings, etc.

The idea to improve FUNdamentals is great! But move the structure to a different location!!!!

What he said. Great post.

scottyl
05-27-2004, 12:36 AM
I'm surprised at how angry some are getting over this. I think it looks interesting and I really like the ironwork above the field. As a part of a more comprehensive renovation phase, I think this will go a long way toward developing the upper deck concourse area into something with character. And, if this is a part of a "grand entrance" in left field, I think people will quickly change their opinions.

I'll echo the sentiment that it is far too premature to judge until we know what all of Phase V will entail. Phases I-IV have all been great successes. Why are we so quick to label Phase V a failure? I trust the Sox and I think Phase V as a whole will be a great success.

nasox
05-27-2004, 12:39 AM
Why is an HR porch good but a kids area bad? This is a place where kids can go and learn about the game, have some fun, and still be around the actual game (i.e. watch while they're waiting in line or more importantly - let their parents watch while they're playing).

Same question for a restaurant/bar (the "crow's nest" idea). I fail to see how something unrelated to baseball like a bar, something that serves a small segment of the fan base (i.e. those who go to the bar) is in any way different from the kids deck which IS related to baseball, helps develop interest in and knowledge of the sport for young&future fans, and also serves a segment of the fan base (kids & their parents).

Sounds to me like a "I won't use it.....it sucks, it should have been something good for ME!".

The current FUNdamentals area in a word - sucks. It's in a dungeon, and you have to literally remove yourself from the game to take your kids there. As a parent, that's terrible. This lets you & the kids continue to enjoy the game, and makes the FUNdamentals experience better without detracting from the experience for everyone else.

The only reason I think it sucks is because of its placement. More specifically, because of how it could affect the view NEGATIVELY from home plate or most seats in the park. I like Fundamentals. I know the area it is currently in sucks a whole lot. I just am not in favor of the changes aesthetically it would bring to the park. Form and Function-remember that. What good is an ugly park like Tropicana Field if it doesn't have good form (it has function in that it is a working stadium, but does not have form because it looks and feels like a piece of crap.

I NEVER said to put a bar or restaurant in there. I said to put a home run porch (a real one at that, not just a continuation of the UD) it its place or on the other side. It has form and function. Function because it adds seats that were previously removed in Phase IV, and form because IMHO it would compliment the park and the new roof and the scheme we are going to nicely.

San Francisco has a place like this, BUT, it is "hidden" from a home plate view and from the majority of the seats (lower deck not upper deck) by the bleachers and other seats. Our plan would not hide the Fundamentals. Instead, it would expose it by raising it above the seats.

Anyway, arguing this is moot because in order for us to correctly determine if it is a good plan or not would be to look at more artistic/computer/ renderings or visuals. We only have one shot of it and that is a look from the UD, 1B side. I would like to see soon a shot of it from above (aerial or birds-eye-view), a shot from home plate (or the seats behind home-plate, LD) and a shot of the covered area of the concourse. Only then will we be able to determine if the plan is a success or not. The function is there (and an honorable one, I believe). Whether or not the form is there has yet to be seen.

nitetrain8601
05-27-2004, 12:43 AM
Originally posted by mjb

The problem with that are the fireworks. Fireworks go off there when a HR is hit, after a win, and fireworks night. What if people are leaving and a firework goes off bcas of fireworks night or what if people get to the game late because of work and it's right when a HR is hit. Fireworks have a great chance of hitting them on the way down. This is why when the fireworks used to come out of the tunnel things in the actual scoreboard, on fireworks night people had to get out of the outfield and get along the baselines. Now where would you have the fireworks. That is why a grand entrance in the outfield won't work. No way they let that slide.

nitetrain8601
05-27-2004, 12:50 AM
Originally posted by nasox
The only reason I think it sucks is because of its placement. More specifically, because of how it could affect the view NEGATIVELY from home plate or most seats in the park. I like Fundamentals. I know the area it is currently in sucks a whole lot. I just am not in favor of the changes aesthetically it would bring to the park. Form and Function-remember that. What good is an ugly park like Tropicana Field if it doesn't have good form (it has function in that it is a working stadium, but does not have form because it looks and feels like a piece of crap.

I NEVER said to put a bar or restaurant in there. I said to put a home run porch (a real one at that, not just a continuation of the UD) it its place or on the other side. It has form and function. Function because it adds seats that were previously removed in Phase IV, and form because IMHO it would compliment the park and the new roof and the scheme we are going to nicely.

San Francisco has a place like this, BUT, it is "hidden" from a home plate view and from the majority of the seats (lower deck not upper deck) by the bleachers and other seats. Our plan would not hide the Fundamentals. Instead, it would expose it by raising it above the seats.

Anyway, arguing this is moot because in order for us to correctly determine if it is a good plan or not would be to look at more artistic/computer/ renderings or visuals. We only have one shot of it and that is a look from the UD, 1B side. I would like to see soon a shot of it from above (aerial or birds-eye-view), a shot from home plate (or the seats behind home-plate, LD) and a shot of the covered area of the concourse. Only then will we be able to determine if the plan is a success or not. The function is there (and an honorable one, I believe). Whether or not the form is there has yet to be seen.

A HR porch would put some horrible views out there for people sitting in the last row of the HR porch. Also the FUNdamentals area will look like nothing more than a continuation of the HR porch. That's the whole theme they're going with. Also what looks better? A cozy ballpark atmosphere with 42,000 seats more likely to be filled if we contend or a 50,000 seat facility that won't feel cozy and more likely than not, still won't be filled(unless you plan on buying about 20,000 seats per game for people you know?

A.T. Money
05-27-2004, 01:22 AM
That looks cool as hell. I wish it had been around when I was a kid.

That's what I was thinking!!!

Man, you people bitch just to bitch.

I think it looks damn cool!

TDog
05-27-2004, 01:27 AM
A HR porch would put some horrible views out there for people sitting in the last row of the HR porch. ...

It wouldn't be just the last row of the HR porch, but you are right.

Of course, you wouldn't be able to see the (downtown-facing) mini-field unless you were sitting in the upper deck, or in a helicopter.

The parks in Anaheim and Phoenix had their equivalent of Fundamentals on the left-field concourse the last time I visited, so I don't even know that this is so original.

nasox
05-27-2004, 01:29 AM
A HR porch would put some horrible views out there for people sitting in the last row of the HR porch. Also the FUNdamentals area will look like nothing more than a continuation of the HR porch. That's the whole theme they're going with. Also what looks better? A cozy ballpark atmosphere with 42,000 seats more likely to be filled if we contend or a 50,000 seat facility that won't feel cozy and more likely than not, still won't be filled(unless you plan on buying about 20,000 seats per game for people you know?

A home run porch is definitely not going to add 8000 seats. I am thinking more along the lines of 1500-2000. Yes, a home run porch will not have the greatest sight lines. But, most parks that had boatloads of character (not the fake quirky retro parks of todays age) such as old comiskey, wrigley (before it became a party place, it was not a bad place to see a game), and yankee stadium before the remodeling, did not have the greatest sight-lines.

There are two solutions to this and it depends on the type of atmosphere you want in the home run porch:

Solution 1: Market the home run porch to families that want to go to the game with four or five people. Make the tickets cheap (how about $5-$7 weekday $10 weekend). People would gobble these up as it would offer access to the lower concourse. More importantly though, would be to make the home run porch alcoholic free. They have a system like this in Tropicana Field called the Beach I believe. No alcohol would mean no drunks spewing profanity near little children's ears. It would really work and would be a hit. Plus, making Hangar happy(er), it would market the sox toward families.

Solution 2: Instead of marketing the home run porch to families, market the home run porch as a party area for younger people interested in a good time. Have the booze running. And have the tickets cheap, once again. This scenario would allow for a bit more expensive tickets ($10 weekday, $13 weekend?). More security at this particular area would make this a possibility.

Either way, the home run porch should be pretty cheap, and personally, I like solution 1 better because it markets the sox to families and would not have negative side effects such as more fights as solution 2 would logically have. Plus, in both of these scenarios, a true "bleacher" section could be added to the cell, something we sorely need. The cell does not have cheap outfield bleachers, as our bleachers are very very very expensive as compared to other parks.

Also, in both of these scenarios, a continuation of the upper deck into the outfield would not be the way to go. That would really be crappy.

AND, why not put fundamentals in one corner, and a home run porch in the other. Fundamentals is family orientated, and the home run porch could be rowdy people orientated. OR, both could be family orientated. It all depends on what the needs are of the fan-base.

ihatethecubs
05-27-2004, 04:35 AM
this is absolutely stupid. nobody cares about this retarded thing. when has anybody complained about "fundamentals" needing to be inside the park? you should take your kid to the game to watch baseball not to play it. i cant believe this

hsnterprize
05-27-2004, 06:17 AM

POSITIVE SOX FAN HERE!!!! :smile: :smile: :smile: Amen...amen...and AMEN!!!!! LOOK PEOPLE... :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

Notice the release says "...PORTION OF THE PHASE V RENOVATION PLANS..." This is not the final phase of the ballpark's rebirth.

Look...with as much crap as U.S. Cellular Field has taken over the years for not being a draw, this is a step in the right direction. And whether you like it or not, nowadays, a ballpark has to be part of a team's draw. Think about it...look at all the other "features" that are often oogled over at other ballparks...the warehouse at Oriole Park, the oversized Coke bottle and baseball glove at SBC, the "Green Monster" at Fenway and all the other "Green Monster wanna-be's" in Cleveland, Cincinnati, and other new places. Do you think people drool over the ivy at Wrigley Field because they're green thumbs who want to curate it to its fullest potential? Give me a stinkin' break. Folks...I love all y'all, but I think it's time to stop overlooking the forest to nitpick the trees here. And besides...how do we know this "Fundamentals" deck in left field won't double as say...a family friendly fan deck? The first time a HR lands in that new space will make everyone bitching on this board shut up faster than a Randy Johnson fastball. Please...quit 'cher bitchin' here.

Leaving that space open at first doesn't sound like a bad idea, but here's one question...how would that space open up so people from the outside can see within. Unlike Oriole Park, Jacobs Field, and other newer ballparks, U.S. Cellular Field is built ABOVE GROUND. It's not set 20 or so feet underground, so unless the Sox were going to tear down some walls or make the left field seats transparent, I don't think there would be much "connection" between the ballpark and the "outside world."

I'm still game for the HR porch and green seats. However, this Fundamentals relocation is a pretty neat surprize IMHO. And if you think about it...people who go to Sox Park to watch the game will still come. Now, there's a small reason why people who normally don't go to Sox games might want to give them a try. With as much bitching and moaning about attendance and/or the kinds of crowds to that go to Sox games now, this is a pleasant addition.

hawkeyesrule
05-27-2004, 08:36 AM
This is incredibly stupid. They are barking up the wrong tree trying to make it all family friendly. It costs way too much to bring your family to the park. This is the sort of thing that will see use on $1 Sundays and half-price nights. Why don't they put some effort into filling the place Wed-Fri?

I think the next part of phase V should be to put in a Toys R Us in right field. This way they eliminate almost every spot that fans can congregate and watch the game in the sun.

pythons007
05-27-2004, 08:55 AM
I like the idea, but I have to agree that the Cell should keep some open area on the concourse to walk around outside. This project looks like its going to leave minimal room in left field. With this "Phase V" the park is going to look overcrowded. However I believe that it will soon generate a good fan base for the Sox, but its location sucks. :angry: :angry:

Hangar18
05-27-2004, 09:03 AM

Please!

Uncle Jerry just "Lost" one of his precious Giant Billboards.
A giant beer bottle gives the SOX their precious advertising revenue (which Jerry needs, and will pass the 'savings' back to us one way or the other, dont think he wont) But is CREATIVE.
Not only is it CREATIVE, it opens up our concourse so it doesnt look so Sterile and Closed off. Soon there will be buildings
across the highway and trees and will look so much Friendlier and Inviting instead of a giant EXELON sign. Thats why the Beer Bottle is BETTER than this PlayPen.

PlayPen doesnt SOLVE problem of opening concourse up.
Why dont they move it back more.......so it Doesnt cover the concourse and look like a helicopter dropped it there?
I dont care to get credit for better things on the concourse.....
heck........I'll tell the Cubune that it was Chisox13's idea to open up the concourse and make it more INVITING

A.T. Money
05-27-2004, 09:06 AM
This is a finer piece of construction than a beer bottle. Besides, the bottle is a rip off of SBC Park in San Fran. The buildings are a direct rip from Wrigley. Also, that water tank looked dumb too.

iwannago
05-27-2004, 09:18 AM
I'll wait to see what it looks like before I make a judgement. But it doesnt look too bad.

For a circus

GregoryEtc
05-27-2004, 10:31 AM
some of you should go move to milwaukee so you can get some cheese to go with all this WHINE!

you'd think from the reaction to this relatively benign update to the park that the Sox announced that they are replacing the pinwheeled scoreboard with a giant picture of Jerry Reinsdorf's head that blows bubbles out his ears when the home team hits a homer.

The Sox are obviously trying to market themselves as the Anti-cubs. They have a legendary relic of a ballpark that is uncomfortable, smelly and filled with baseball no-nothings who are just there to drink.

US Cellular will be the fresh baseball experience where if you don't know anything about baseball, come on up to our FUNdamentals area and learn a thing or two.

Friendly Confines? What's so friendly about going to a place filled with drunks who spill their beers on you and yell obscenities around your kids?

U.S. Cellular WILL BE the place for families to take their kids to see baseball in Chicago. This is a forward thinking marketing strategy that is independant of the caliber of the team on the field.

The White Sox will HAVE to learn how to attract fans with mediocre teams if they want to compete with the Cubs who attract fans even when they're horrible. And sorry to say, but this may include some "extra-curricular" activities around the park.

But if they go ahead with that Reinsdorf Bubble Head idea, I want full credit! :smile:

The Big Squirt
05-27-2004, 10:51 AM
I have seen some pretty stupid stuff in stadia and this doesn't even come close to the dumbest ones.

A priate ship? Swimmingpool? Sloping centerfield with a flag planted in the middle of it? IVY as an attraction?

Cummon folks this is something for families. Everyone complains that ballyards aren't for families anymore...that baseball can't compete with soccer...that the Sox don't try to create a new fan base...

Well here they are at least taking a shot at it. They aren't just sitting around on a pile of cash...they are trying to make it better.

That pile of cash by the way was brought in from the naming rights and can ONLY BE USED for ballpark renovations. So for those of you complaining that it should be used for salary or whatever...can it...because it cant.

I can forsee taking my daughter to this in the future. They will be teaching both baseball and softball. What could be better than going to the park...having your kids entertained while you enjoy a game rather than trying to keep them contained...them learning to love the sport so that the next time you go they actually are interested in sitting through a 3 hr 1-0 win by the sox...and then sitting back and watching a great fireworks show with the family?

I don't know if it is the best/perfect/absoulutely mind blowing idea...but at lest it is something.

If you are a 20 something that wants a space to sit around and drink and watch a game without sticky, screaming, snotty kids around you...go to a bar. Stadiums should be for families...after all a lot of familes paid tax $$ into building this park...let them enjoy it too.

TBS (stepping off the soap box)

Kilroy
05-27-2004, 11:02 AM

That was then, this is now. When we were kids, we had our YEAR MADE if we yelled a players name and he just looked our way. Now, you hear parents bitching about how they paid all kinds of money for tickets and so and so wouldn't sign an autograph for their kid.

I can tell you, that my kids love to go the game because they like to watch from our seats where they can get up and stand at the rail. My oldest asked to go to the game the other day because she wanted to go sit in the fan deck again. And the love to go because of fireworks. I gurantee that they will want to go because of FUNdamentals. You are dead wrong if you think that won't get kids asking to go again and again.

Randar68
05-27-2004, 11:07 AM
Originally posted by The Big Squirt
Stadiums should be for families...after all a lot of familes paid tax $$ into building this park...let them enjoy it too.

I agree with a lot of what you said, but remember that the Hotel Tax in Chicago is what paid for the stadium, preying mostly upon business and tourism, so don't do one of those "My taxes pay your salary" type of rants, LOL!

Randar68
05-27-2004, 11:08 AM
Originally posted by Kilroy
That was then, this is now. When we were kids, we had our YEAR MADE if we yelled a players name and he just looked our way. Now, you hear parents bitching about how they paid all kinds of money for tickets and so and so wouldn't sign an autograph for their kid.

I can tell you, that my kids love to go the game because they like to watch from our seats where they can get up and stand at the rail. My oldest asked to go to the game the other day because she wanted to go sit in the fan deck again. And the love to go because of fireworks. I gurantee that they will want to go because of FUNdamentals. You are dead wrong if you think that won't get kids asking to go again and again.

Personally, I don't like the looks of it as it appears in the renditions. Again, I will wait to judge it, but if it attracts more families and kids to the ballpark, and that interest isn't just a 1 or 2 year blip, then I am all for it. Bringing the kids in and hooking them on the experience will build your long-term and lifelong fan-base, IMO...

Dadawg_77
05-27-2004, 11:12 AM
Originally posted by Kilroy

I am not knocking the concept, just the location is horrible in my opinion. I really don't think it will attract as many people as people are thinking. Firework nights are one thing, but this thing in left field is another, I think it won't look good.

Kids get hooked to players and teams not gimmicks. Just because they want to go because of a playground, doesn't mean they will want to go later in their life once that attraction is no longer attractive.

SoxFan78
05-27-2004, 11:18 AM
Originally posted by The Big Squirt

If you are a 20 something that wants a space to sit around and drink and watch a game without sticky, screaming, snotty kids around you...go to a bar. Stadiums should be for families...after all a lot of familes paid tax $$ into building this park...let them enjoy it too.

I agreed with your post until this last comment. Just because I want to have a couple of cold beers and not have some kids screaming in my ear I should go to a bar?? Are you serious? Stadiums should be for families, but also cater to other kinds of people. Like the 20 somethings that come in and buy concessions, which is common knowledge that the orginization makes big money off of.

Can there be a happy medium? I hope so. If they had a family area of the ball park, I would gladly stay away. But making the whole park a "family stadium", lets not kid ourselves.

I am waiting until the project is finished to offer my final judgement on the FUNdementals, but I say if you want your son/daughter to learn some good baseball/softball, they should learn not in a baseball stadium, but on a ball field with coaches and parents. Take them to the games to watch the product ON the field, after all, thats why you are paying the 100+ dollars to take a family of four to the game.

Just my two cents...

joecrede
05-27-2004, 11:25 AM
Anyone who has ever been to a game with this generation of kids knows how popular this area will be.

As someone who brings his nephews to a few games a year it's a better addition than another bar would be. As far as the location goes, it's terrific for the adults, they can watch the game while "Johnny" is taking a few swings. Something that wouldn't be possible if this were outside the park as has been suggested.

Kilroy
05-27-2004, 11:31 AM
Kids get hooked to players and teams not gimmicks. Just because they want to go because of a playground, doesn't mean they will want to go later in their life once that attraction is no longer attractive.

Ummm, I think I need to point out to you that fireworks nights are a gimmick. Elvis night is a gimmick. Those are 2 of the biggest draws to US Comiskular. And players come and go. What stays with a kid is going to a place with their mom and dad and having a good time. That's what will make them life-long fans and why they'll go back to the park, even tho they can't do that one thing any longer. They'll take their kids to FUNdamentals when they have some.

kevdennis
05-27-2004, 11:34 AM
Originally posted by na_na_na_na

Metra Stop. Thay would be key. You're right on with that thought. This joke of an idea would probably cost about the same and an added metra stop.

sas1974
05-27-2004, 11:48 AM
Forgive me if this has been discussed. I stopped reading at page 5 yesterday and I am not going back to look.

I would imagine that the billboard they are removing probably brought in a fair amount of money. I wonder how they are going to make that up. FUNdamentals sponsored by ______? Another billboard elsewhere?

pinwheels3530
05-27-2004, 11:51 AM
Uncle Jerry just "Lost" one of his precious Giant Billboards.
A giant beer bottle gives the SOX their precious advertising revenue (which Jerry needs, and will pass the 'savings' back to us one way or the other, dont think he wont) But is CREATIVE.
Not only is it CREATIVE, it opens up our concourse so it doesnt look so Sterile and Closed off. Soon there will be buildings
across the highway and trees and will look so much Friendlier and Inviting instead of a giant EXELON sign. Thats why the Beer Bottle is BETTER than this PlayPen.

Why dont they move it back more.......so it Doesnt cover the concourse and look like a helicopter dropped it there?
I dont care to get credit for better things on the concourse.....
heck........I'll tell the Cubune that it was Chisox13's idea to open up the concourse and make it more INVITING

What uncle Jerry needs is for you to renew your season tickets to get some much needed revenue.

santo=dorf
05-27-2004, 12:00 PM
Who would the instructors be for this thing, former MLB players? Hawk Harrelson said you don't know the game of baseball unless you played it.

anewman35
05-27-2004, 12:02 PM
Originally posted by SoxFan78
I agreed with your post until this last comment. Just because I want to have a couple of cold beers and not have some kids screaming in my ear I should go to a bar?? Are you serious? Stadiums should be for families, but also cater to other kinds of people. Like the 20 somethings that come in and buy concessions, which is common knowledge that the orginization makes big money off of.

You're right, the Sox do a horrible job of catering to young adults. Shame the park doesn't have a sports bar in, I dunno, the bullpen area. That would be cool, it would be perfect for the 20 somethings who don't like kids. Ahh well.

steff
05-27-2004, 12:02 PM

It's my understanding that this is NOT going to cover the concourse but be built out and over the shops out there extending towards the players parking lot.

But please feel free to continue complaining..

steff
05-27-2004, 12:09 PM
Originally posted by kevdennis
Metra Stop. Thay would be key. You're right on with that thought. This joke of an idea would probably cost about the same and an added metra stop.

The Sox have nothing to do with building a Metra stop at the Cell.

Some of you are just plain silly with all the misguided anger at the Sox over things they DON'T control...

joecrede
05-27-2004, 12:15 PM
Originally posted by steff
The Sox have nothing to do with building a Metra stop at the Cell.

Some of you are just plain silly with all the misguided anger at the Sox over things they DON'T control...

Yep, if it were up to the Sox it would have been done a long time ago. Direct your anger at suburban politicians.

Randar68
05-27-2004, 12:23 PM
Originally posted by steff
It's my understanding that this is NOT going to cover the concourse but be built out and over the shops out there extending towards the players parking lot.

But please feel free to continue complaining..

I would think that would be a better proposition than covering the concourse, but those renderings definitely show it covering the concourse.

Again, they're just renderings, so we'll all have to wait and see.

steff
05-27-2004, 12:40 PM
I would think that would be a better proposition than covering the concourse, but those renderings definitely show it covering the concourse.

Again, they're just renderings, so we'll all have to wait and see.

They definitely do, which is why I asked. They definitely could have been more clear in their presentation.