PDA

View Full Version : Levine rips other baseball reporters

32nd&Wallace
05-26-2004, 12:07 PM
I was flipping the dials this morning and heard Bruce Levine on Moronotti's show. He was talking about the irresponsible way in which Phil Rogers went about putting in the story about the Cubs trading for Maggs and Freddie Garcia and how Jim Hendry even told him there was 0 truth to it but Rogers put it in anyways.
So then Moronotti goes on to DEFEND Rogers and LEvine calls him out on it. There sounded like there was some tension between the two in the studio because Moronotti got real sarcastic towards Levine and there was just silence from Levine.
Anyone else hear it? Get the same thing that I got from the broadcast?

Randar68
05-26-2004, 12:15 PM
Originally posted by 32nd&Wallace
I was flipping the dials this morning and heard Bruce Levine on Moronotti's show. He was talking about the irresponsible way in which Phil Rogers went about putting in the story about the Cubs trading for Maggs and Freddie Garcia and how Jim Hendry even told him there was 0 truth to it but Rogers put it in anyways.
So then Moronotti goes on to DEFEND Rogers and LEvine calls him out on it. There sounded like there was some tension between the two in the studio because Moronotti got real sarcastic towards Levine and there was just silence from Levine.
Anyone else hear it? Get the same thing that I got from the broadcast?

I heard this as I flipped through the stations this morning...

1) Moronotti is an idiot
2) Levine = Mr. Cub

There is a reason Levine works in radio and not print. REGULARLY beat-writers throw out baloney stories and ideas just to get people talking. Who cares if there's truth to it, as most of the time, they are just whims of the beat-writer in the first place.

With the amount of BS'ing and lieing Hendry and the Cubs have done lately, why would Rogers still not print it just because Hendry says something? Hendry/Cubs have NO credibility right now.

pinwheels3530
05-26-2004, 12:20 PM
I didn't hear this morning show but yesterday Mariotti and Tom Shaer were going at about KW and Jim Hendry. Basically Mariotti was stating that Hendry has outdone KW, Shaer defending Kw saying with the limited budget he has done a fairly good job. Why doesn't Shaer have his own morning show instead of Mariotti. Tom is much more intelligent when he speaks and doesn't try to start a controversy like Mariotti to get ratings.
Plus Mariotti rips anything sox when he gets a chance cause he KNOWS it pisses sox fans off.

Jerko
05-26-2004, 12:33 PM
There's a little sound byte from the Moron between innings of the Sox games on the radio. Something like "Stay tuned for the White Sox game", and even in those 10 seconds or so you can here contempt in his voice. I know I may be a little defensive when it comes to the moron but if you guys hear/heard it you might agree.

IlliniSox
05-26-2004, 12:36 PM
Originally posted by Jerko
There's a little sound byte from the Moron between innings of the Sox games on the radio. Something like "Stay tuned for the White Sox game", and even in those 10 seconds or so you can here contempt in his voice. I know I may be a little defensive when it comes to the moron but if you guys hear/heard it you might agree.

Most of the time, that c-sucker just says "Stay tuned for (so and so) after the game on ESPN 1000" I've never heard him say White Sox! on the flagship! JR must be counting down the days until his deal with them is over.

Brian26
05-26-2004, 12:39 PM
Originally posted by IlliniSox
Most of the time, that c-sucker just says "Stay tuned for (so and so) after the game on ESPN 1000" I've never heard him say White Sox! on the flagship! JR must be counting down the days until his deal with them is over.

Honestly, I get just as annoyed on Sunday mornings listening to one-hour they devote to the Cubs right before Talking Baseball with John and Bruce. The Sox flagship shouldn't have a Cubs-only show.

MisterB
05-26-2004, 01:26 PM
Originally posted by pinwheels3530
Why doesn't Shaer have his own morning show instead of Mariotti. Tom is much more intelligent when he speaks and doesn't try to start a controversy like Mariotti to get ratings.

I believe you answered your own question there... :smile:

Hangar18
05-26-2004, 01:32 PM
Originally posted by Brian26
Honestly, I get just as annoyed on Sunday mornings listening to one-hour they devote to the Cubs right before Talking Baseball with John and Bruce. The Sox flagship shouldn't have a Cubs-only show.

Is it possible ESPN is making a move for the flubs?
They sure have been giving that team a TON OF AIRTIME the last few months........... considering the fact theyre ALLEGEDLY THE SOX FLAGSHIP. Isnt that ridiculous?

rahulsekhar
05-26-2004, 01:39 PM
Originally posted by Hangar18
Is it possible ESPN is making a move for the flubs?
They sure have been giving that team a TON OF AIRTIME the last few months........... considering the fact theyre ALLEGEDLY THE SOX FLAGSHIP. Isnt that ridiculous?

Unlikely given that the ownership group of the team also owns a radio station. IMO they'd have to make a VERY compelling financial argument and that would likely be a high-risk/low return scenario for them.

Lip Man 1
05-26-2004, 01:47 PM
No ESPN Radio 1000 is simply trying to get Reinsdorf to break his contract with them. They simply don't want to do his teams games anymore and are trying to do whatever they can to piss him off and hope he'll react in a spasm (like he usually does against the players union!)

Lip

jeremyb1
05-26-2004, 02:20 PM
I think there's a good point to Levine's complaints. A lot of columnists such as Sam Smith and Phil Rogers write insane trade suggestions that are pure speculation (and illogical speculation at that) to grab readers. It's shameless.

JRIG
05-26-2004, 02:30 PM
Originally posted by jeremyb1
I think there's a good point to Levine's complaints. A lot of columnists such as Sam Smith and Phil Rogers write insane trade suggestions that are pure speculation (and illogical speculation at that) to grab readers. It's shameless.

As much as we rag on Bruce for loving the Cubs, nobody can beat his connections. When he goes on with a story, you can bet he's got it checked and double-checked. If I were in his position I'd probably be a little miffed too that these guys can just throw stuff at the wall and hope it sticks with no repucussions.

34 Inch Stick
05-26-2004, 04:21 PM
Originally posted by Brian26

I feel the same way. I was up early this Sunday driving around and I expected talking baseball. Instead they are talking Cubs. I cannot tell you how much I miss Julie Swieca's show on early Sunday mornings.