PDA

View Full Version : Hernandez?

SEALgep
05-26-2004, 12:43 PM
http://www.dailyherald.com/sports/col_rozner.asp?intid=38133211

This is a guy we haven't really discussed, or at least I haven't seen it. I think he would be a pretty good acquisition, and you would have to figure that some of our prospects would look pretty decent for a team like Montreal.

iwannago
05-26-2004, 12:49 PM
Originally posted by SEALgep
http://www.dailyherald.com/sports/col_rozner.asp?intid=38133211

This is a guy we haven't really discussed, or at least I haven't seen it. I think he would be a pretty good acquisition, and you would have to figure that some of our prospects would look pretty decent for a team like Montreal.

The talk around here is that the Expo's are coming to DC or Northern VA. Even though the Sox are my team I hope the Expo's have some players when and if they come here.

SEALgep
05-26-2004, 12:51 PM
Originally posted by iwannago
The talk around here is that the Expo's are coming to DC or Northern VA. Even though the Sox are my team I hope the Expo's have some players when and if they come here. If we did indeed deal for him, I'm sure the prospects given a chance to play would turn into the players you would want to see. They'd be cheap for a while too. In all honesty, it would be a good move for both clubs IMO.

MRKARNO
05-26-2004, 12:56 PM
Totally agree. You can think of him as a Bartolo Colon that actually has a contract that we can easily manage for a pitcher. Never goes higher than 8 mil. His previous problems may have been linked to being overtired from Dusty's use of him in SF, but I dont think it was long term arm problems as opposed to just tiring. In Montreal he was probably used more effectively. I am 100% in favor of trading even higher up prospects for Livan due to the fact that he's signed at a reduced rate through 2007 and we can have him for 3.5 years! Give Montreal a hitting/pitching package as long as we dont have to give up Sweeney, Anderson or Reed (or maybe not even Borchard the way he's been going, but that's up for debate). Montreal would be better suited to keep Cabrera and Vidro instead of Vidro and Livan anyways because Montreal has a lot of major league pitchers who are pretty darned good like Ohka, Zach Day, Sun-Woo Kim, Tony Armas Jr., etc. This could be great for us!

Frater Perdurabo
05-26-2004, 12:56 PM
Perhaps the Expos could be convinced to take Konerko or Lee in return for Hernandez.

In any case, Hernandez would be a great pickup for the short-term and long-term. He would stabilize the rotation at a not-too-expensive price. Is he an ace? No. But he's as solid a #2 as can be found. If Konerko or Lee could be dealt in another trade, the money should be almost equal.

Randar68
05-26-2004, 01:02 PM
Originally posted by MRKARNO
Totally agree. You can think of him as a Bartolo Colon that actually has a contract that we can easily manage for a pitcher. Never goes higher than 8 mil. His previous problems may have been linked to being overtired from Dusty's use of him in SF, but I dont think it was long term arm problems as opposed to just tiring. In Montreal he was probably used more effectively. I am 100% in favor of trading even higher up prospects for Livan due to the fact that he's signed at a reduced rate through 2007 and we can have him for 3.5 years! Give Montreal a hitting/pitching package as long as we dont have to give up Sweeney, Anderson or Reed (or maybe not even Borchard the way he's been going, but that's up for debate). Montreal would be better suited to keep Cabrera and Vidro instead of Vidro and Livan anyways because Montreal has a lot of major league pitchers who are pretty darned good like Ohka, Zach Day, Sun-Woo Kim, Tony Armas Jr., etc. This could be great for us!

Livan + Armas Jr. for prospects

Then, at season's end, Loaiza could walk and you'd have 2 extra draft picks, $$$ and a complete rotation already in place! You could address bullpen and 1B as they become bigger priorities and perhaps be able to keep Maggs too!

*SLAP* back to reality... LOL

SSN721
05-26-2004, 01:04 PM
I have been an Expos fan as well as Sox for alittle while, Hernandez would be a very nice pickup, I agree with above, not an ace but has good stuff is a number 2 or 3. I think they would be tempted if we gave them a package of minor leauguers, him being signed through 2007 I wouldnt mind giving up anyone except Reed for him. I think it could be just enough to get us over the hump and be solid 1 through 5 on our staff.