PDA

View Full Version : Chicago NewsMedia Watch 5/26/04


Hangar18
05-26-2004, 09:13 AM
The CubTimes today already is pointing out WHERE and WHEN tix will be available for the Messiahs appearance in IA. The cub morning show on 670 actually spoke to a reporter live from lansing today. Cub loss got them more coverage today in both papers, not to mention the coveted BACK/FRONT page pictures.
Score this morning also tried to cause another "Problems at Cell last nite" controversy, but quickly snuffed out by callers refuting
allegations.

Cubune:
5 cub stories
4 sox stories
CubTimes:
6 cub stories
3 sox stories

Standings since Spring Training..........
CUBS 737
SOX 498

jackbrohamer
05-26-2004, 09:19 AM
After no mentions of attendance throughout the Sox' recent road trip (during which there were very very many empty seats) attendance at the Cell is now such an important part of the game coverage that it appears in the third sentence of the Cubune's article.

And the Cubune website features coverage of Ligue's hearing a week ago. On charges having nothing to do with the incident at Sox park.

Hangar18
05-26-2004, 09:21 AM
quick recap of topics this AM on Score
6:30am Why wont Sammy go to minors for rehab?
8:00am Problems at comiskey? What will sox do?
8:45am Dusty changes rotation
9:00 - Talking to Astros announcer, getting his thoughts
on north side teams rotation

Maximo
05-26-2004, 09:22 AM
Originally posted by Hangar18
The CubTimes today already is pointing out WHERE and WHEN tix will be available for the Messiahs appearance in IA. The cub morning show on 670 actually spoke to a reporter live from lansing today. Cub loss got them more coverage today in both papers, not to mention the coveted BACK/FRONT page pictures.
Score this morning also tried to cause another "Problems at Cell last nite" controversy, but quickly snuffed out by callers refuting
allegations.

Cubune:
5 cub stories
4 sox stories
CubTimes:
6 cub stories
3 sox stories

Standings since Spring Training..........
CUBS 737
SOX 498


I guess this is the "things will even out" thing that media types said would happen when the Sox are at home and the Cubs are on the road.

Was there a "Maggs Watch" in this morning's Trib?

bobj4400
05-26-2004, 09:24 AM
Originally posted by Maximo
I guess this is the "things will even out" thing that media types said would happen when the Sox are at home and the Cubs are on the road.

Was there a "Maggs Watch" in this morning's Trib?


They did even out. Instead of being buried by 5 stories, we were only bested by one story in the Cubune today...

Hangar18
05-26-2004, 09:33 AM
Originally posted by Maximo
I guess this is the "things will even out" thing that media types said would happen when the Sox are at home and the Cubs are on the road.

Was there a "Maggs Watch" in this morning's Trib?

According to Marty Media: "Dont worry sox fans, the Coverage will EVEN OUT once the SOX come home and "other" team is on the Road. Except "Other" team is playing the Astros, a big division opponent. So.... After this Astros series, We promise to Even Things Out"

Hangar18
05-26-2004, 09:46 AM
Originally posted by Hangar18
quick recap of topics this AM on Score
6:30am Why wont Sammy go to minors for rehab?
8:00am Problems at comiskey? What will sox do?
8:45am Dusty changes rotation
9:00 Talking to Astros announcer, getting his thoughts
on north side teams rotation
9:20 Make jokes about cub fans being everywhere
9:30 Dean AAA writer, giving CUbs minorleague report
9:45 Murph talks about batt avg pool hes in.
9:55 Both hosts going over last nites games in mlb.

Still yet to hear a Sox Baseball Related TOPIC .........

Hangar18
05-26-2004, 10:04 AM
Originally posted by Hangar18
quick recap of topics this AM on Score
6:30am Why wont Sammy go to minors for rehab?
8:00am Problems at comiskey? What will sox do?
8:45am Dusty changes rotation
9:00 - Talking to Astros announcer, getting his thoughts
on north side teams rotation

9:20am Talking about cub fans being everywhere
9:30am Cub minorleague report
9:45am Murph talks about BatAvg Pool hes in
9:55am Talk about last nites games in MLB

From 6:30am this morning, Basically all CUB all the Time.

never talked about the SOX game,
problems team has at SS, No trying to get word on Maggs injury, No Sox MinorLg report, No talking to Rangers announcers about SOX pitching. Who said the Media isnt biased?

Maximo
05-26-2004, 10:24 AM
Originally posted by Hangar18
9:20am Talking about cub fans being everywhere
9:30am Cub minorleague report
9:45am Murph talks about BatAvg Pool hes in
9:55am Talk about last nites games in MLB

From 6:30am this morning, Basically all CUB all the Time.

never talked about the SOX game,
problems team has at SS, No trying to get word on Maggs injury, No Sox MinorLg report, No talking to Rangers announcers about SOX pitching. Who said the Media isnt biased?

Got an idea that addresses two concerns expressed on this board all at one time......attendance and media bias.

Invite all WSI posters into a Sox game for free and have em' throw out Mike Murphy before the game.

jackbrohamer
05-26-2004, 10:29 AM
One of the Cub Times' "Sox" articles is about how the "ex- Cub" Gary Matthews, Jr. is doing with the Rangers.

Always fascinating to read about how 30-year-old, .240-lifetime-hitting backup outfielders are fitting in with the new squad.

maurice
05-26-2004, 11:16 AM
It's also very important to have an inning-by-inning re-cap on the front page, proving that a major league pitcher is better than fairly recent high school graduates playing low-A ball.

BigFrankFan
05-26-2004, 11:27 AM
You're measuring by stories but that's nothing compared to square inches. The past 2 days, the Cubune has given twice as much space on the front page to the Cubs, & 5 times as much space in the inlet.
Monday was the worse of the two days. The only think that was closely fair were the box score pages.

I can understand stories being more weighted to the cubs because cub fans outnumber sox fans 5 to 3. But that's less than a 2 to 1 margin. The space bias in the Cubune is more like a 4 to 1 margin.
That destroys any credibilty of the Cubune as being fair & impartial.
That's what major newspapers are suppose to be!

jackbrohamer
05-26-2004, 11:43 AM
Apparently because I enjoy wasting my time, I wrote chicagosports.com complaining about the fact that they have a Ligue story on the "Sox" section but not a murder story on the "Cubs." The editor (a longtime friend of WSI) gave a long-winded apologia about why the Cubune is fair, blah blah blah. I won't bore you with the entire response but try to believe he actually wrote this:

There is no editorial effort here to portray U.S. Cellular Field as unsafe.
None. Never has been. You can believe it or not but that doesn't change a thing
-- it's a fantasy.

As regards the recent killing outside Wrigley Field, some may want to compare
the way that was covered to what Mr. Ligue did, but the comparisons just don't
work. It didn't occur inside the ballpark, didn't involve anyone associated
with the Cubs or their opponents that day, and happened hours after the game
ended. It was a neighborhood crime -- not unlike similar crimes that go
unreported every day in Chicago -- not a ballpark crime or a Cubs crime.

But I do expect to see further coverage of those [Ligue] criminal proceedings as they go
along. And when the newspaper has that coverage, we will put it on our site (as
we already have) -- though its sports connection is far more tenuous than that
involving Mr. Ligue. And some of those articles, including a fine column by Rick
Morrissey
(http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/columnists/cs-040508morrissey.column),
did deal with the dangers of attending a game at Wrigley Field.

32nd&Wallace
05-26-2004, 11:46 AM
Hey Hangar, do you know if any of the local stations put reporters down in Houston. Does anyone know?

maurice
05-26-2004, 11:54 AM
Even assuming that the remaining BS in the e-mail is true (it's not), "[t]hose [Ligue] criminal proceedings" are just "a neighborhood crime -- not unlike similar crimes that go unreported every day in Chicago -- not a ballpark crime or a [Sox] crime." Therefore:

(1) the fact that "[t]hose [Ligue] criminal proceedings" are reported at all;

(2) the fact that a non-sports "neighborhood crime" is linked to the Sox section; and

(3) the fact that a murder on a street in front of Wrigley Field involving cub fans who recently attended a cubs game and a bat distributed by the cubs receives zero followup coverage, while "a neighborhood crime -- not unlike similar crimes that go unreported every day in Chicago" gets coverage ad infinitum

all represent strong evidence of an anti-Sox smear campaign. There is no other reasonable explanation for this discrepancy.

jackbrohamer
05-26-2004, 12:00 PM
Also, he says the Wrigley murder isn't "Cubs" news because (1) It didn't occur inside the ballpark (2) didn't involve anyone associated with the Cubs or their opponents that day, and (3) happened hours after the game ended.

But Ligue getting arrested this year in Harvey is Sox news despite the fact that (1) It didn't occur inside the ballpark (2) didn't involve anyone associated with the Sox or their opponents that day, and (3) had no connection with a game.

Bottom line: They are biased against the Sox, have no intention of changing, and anyone who points out the bias must be delusional.

alohafri
05-26-2004, 12:12 PM
"Also, he says the Wrigley murder isn't "Cubs" news because (1) It didn't occur inside the ballpark (2) didn't involve anyone associated with the Cubs or their opponents that day, and (3) happened hours after the game ended.

But Ligue getting arrested this year in Harvey is Sox news despite the fact that (1) It didn't occur inside the ballpark (2) didn't involve anyone associated with the Sox or their opponents that day, and (3) had no connection with a game. "

I hope you sent that in an email to them. Excellent point.




--Mrs. Aloha

steff
05-26-2004, 12:30 PM
Originally posted by jackbrohamer
Also, he says the Wrigley murder isn't "Cubs" news because (1) It didn't occur inside the ballpark (2) didn't involve anyone associated with the Cubs or their opponents that day, and (3) happened hours after the game ended.

But Ligue getting arrested this year in Harvey is Sox news despite the fact that (1) It didn't occur inside the ballpark (2) didn't involve anyone associated with the Sox or their opponents that day, and (3) had no connection with a game.

Bottom line: They are biased against the Sox, have no intention of changing, and anyone who points out the bias must be delusional.


Everytime Pam Anderson is in the news they mention her ex Tommy Lee.. even when it has nothing to do with him. Hell.. they do the same thing when Heather Locklear is in the news (and they've been divorced 10 years..?) For the rest of his life Ligue will be known as the dip**** who ran on the field. Blame HIM.. HE gave the media the story!

Brian26
05-26-2004, 12:33 PM
Originally posted by steff
Everytime Pam Anderson is in the news they mention her ex Tommy Lee.. even when it has nothing to do with him. Hell.. they do the same thing when Heather Locklear is in the news (and they've been divorced 10 years..?) For the rest of his life Ligue will be known as the dip**** who ran on the field. Blame HIM.. HE gave the media the story!

Apparently he (Tommy Lee, not Ligue) just broke up with Pink. What in god's name do women see in this guy?

steff
05-26-2004, 12:37 PM
Originally posted by Brian26
Apparently he (Tommy Lee, not Ligue) just broke up with Pink. What in god's name do women see in this guy?



The rumor has something to do with something... "below the belt"... :o:

Brian26
05-26-2004, 12:40 PM
Originally posted by steff
The rumor has something to do with something... "below the belt"... :o:

So if Ligue's walking around with 18 inches, that makes him a score? Hey, both he and Tommy have the *cool* tats too.

I guess the rock star thing might have something to do with it :smile:

steff
05-26-2004, 12:41 PM
Originally posted by Brian26
So if Ligue's walking around with 18 inches, that makes him a score? Hey, both he and Tommy have the *cool* tats too.

I guess the rock star thing might have something to do with it :smile:




Puke.