PDA

View Full Version : Valentin Really Stinks right now......


Hangar18
05-26-2004, 09:26 AM
His at bats arent even useful.......striking out on 3 pitches......

WWIII
05-26-2004, 09:31 AM
He knows it too. You could see it on his face last night. He was miserable with his performance. In his defense, and only slightly, Rogers was getting some outside pitches called in his favor forcing Jose to swing at some bad ones.

Texas has his number though. Did you notice how they trotted out a fairly "green" pitcher to pitch against him merely because he was a lefty? He struck him out in a few pitches and then they brought in their reliever. Makes Jose look really bad.

Hangar18
05-26-2004, 09:37 AM
and for that matter.......Ive had just about enough of the
Mike "Good for a Run" Jackson . This guy is finished,
hes had a nice career, but WHY WE BRING HIM IN WHEN WERE BARELY BEHIND OR TIED is beyond me. He either puts the game out of reach, or gives the other team the lead. If we keep him,
save him for BLOWOUTS or WHEN WERE BLOWING SOMEONEOUT.
my god this guys horrible.

Tekijawa
05-26-2004, 09:40 AM
As long as only Kenny Rodgers is the only one to figure out that he can't hit a sweeping lefty breaking ball we'll be fine!

nasox
05-26-2004, 09:49 AM
What amazes me is that some people on this board (it was joecrede that started that thread, right?) want to resign him. Why would we want to resign an old, overpaid piece of junk (well, right now at least) when we could have in the future, Uribe at SS, Willie at 2B and someone from our deep pool of outfielders (maybe borchard the way he has been hitting lately) at center?? That would be really fantastic to have that up the middle.

Hangar18
05-26-2004, 10:02 AM
Originally posted by nasox
What amazes me is that some people on this board (it was joecrede that started that thread, right?) want to resign him. Why would we want to resign an old, overpaid piece of junk (well, right now at least) when we could have in the future, Uribe at SS, Willie at 2B and someone from our deep pool of outfielders (maybe borchard the way he has been hitting lately) at center?? That would be really fantastic to have that up the middle.

I dont mind him being resigned.......but CHEAP and on the BENCH.
He could be useful as a LH bat...........but my god, he snuffed out some of the rallies the SOX had going last nite. OZZ, this is the 3rd time ive Really Disagreed with your lineup my friend.
He is lost in space right now, Valentin. He isnt even making contact, moving runners up is a joke, hes got 10 errors ........

Frater Perdurabo
05-26-2004, 10:57 AM
I finally got to watch a Sox game on TV! Of course, I had to watch the Rangers broadcast down here in Texas.

Yes, Valentin looked awful, and the Rangers TV announcers admitted it as such. Valentin should not have been playing. Uribe should have been a short with Harris at second.

But we Sox fans do need to give credit where credit is due. Kenny Rogers was fantastic last night at shutting down a powerful right-handed Sox lineup.

Lip was right before the 2003 season: The Sox should have gone after Rogers. That would have solved the 5th starter problem last year. Then, the Sox could have re-signed him this year, and we wouldn't be worried about the 5th starter problem this year, either. :angry:

But give Kenny Rogers his due.

MisterB
05-26-2004, 11:00 AM
Originally posted by Hangar18
OZZ, this is the 3rd time ive Really Disagreed with your lineup my friend

What other choice does Guillen have? If Manos isn't in the lineup then Harris has to be and he hits even worse against lefties. Valentin was the only LH bat in the lineup last night - but the 8 righties didn't exactly come through against Rogers, either. Maybe he should try Olivo at 2B...

jabrch
05-26-2004, 11:12 AM
Manos can not hit lefties. I'd rather see Harris vs lefties than Manos.

CHISOXFAN13
05-26-2004, 11:19 AM
I'm not advocating re-signing him, and I know he sucked last night, but wasn't this the same guy who enjoyed one hell of a four-game stretch at Minnesota??

But now he's completely useless after one miserable night. I find that comical.

SoxxoS
05-26-2004, 11:21 AM
:ozzie

"I don't peench heet for Jose, even against lefty late in da game. Jose is my guy."

SoxOnTop
05-26-2004, 11:31 AM
Originally posted by MisterB
What other choice does Guillen have? If Manos isn't in the lineup then Harris has to be and he hits even worse against lefties. Valentin was the only LH bat in the lineup last night - but the 8 righties didn't exactly come through against Rogers, either. Maybe he should try Olivo at 2B...

Willie's had a grand total of 15 AB's against lefties this year. Let's give the kid a chance. At least he might foul off a few pitches or try to drop down a drag bunt.

CHISOXFAN13
05-26-2004, 11:47 AM
Let me refresh everyone's memories here.

The White Sox scored 17 runs and pounded out 23 hits on Sunday. 17 AND 23.

If Guillen messed with the lineup, there would be a lengthy thread about tinkering.

Ozzie can't win on this topic.

MisterB
05-26-2004, 12:05 PM
Originally posted by SoxOnTop
Willie's had a grand total of 15 AB's against lefties this year. Let's give the kid a chance. At least he might foul off a few pitches or try to drop down a drag bunt.

It isn't just this year - since coming to the Sox he's 12 for 74 (.162) with no extra-base hits. Even swinging righty, Valentin did better than that.

Randar68
05-26-2004, 12:12 PM
Originally posted by Hangar18
His at bats arent even useful.......striking out on 3 pitches......

I couldn't believe Ozzie left him in there to face the lefty reliever who threw side-arm... He had no chance. Pinch hit Olivo or whoever, just get Jose to the bench in that situation...

A.T. Money
05-26-2004, 12:23 PM
Jose needs to switch hit again. He has somewhat of a chance against a lefty going righty. Batting lefty, he has ZERO chance.

jabrch
05-26-2004, 12:31 PM
Originally posted by SoxxoS
:ozzie

"I don't peench heet for Jose, even against lefty late in da game. Jose is my guy."

:ozzie
"Jose ees a good kid. He ees a hitta."

MisterB
05-26-2004, 12:46 PM
Originally posted by A.T. Money
Jose needs to switch hit again. He has somewhat of a chance against a lefty going righty. Batting lefty, he has ZERO chance.

No. So far this year Valentin has hit lefties significantly better than he did when he was switch hitting. (.211/.302/.316 this year vs. .157/.224/.267 from '01-'03)

SoxxoS
05-26-2004, 01:00 PM
Originally posted by Randar68
I couldn't believe Ozzie left him in there to face the lefty reliever who threw side-arm... He had no chance. Pinch hit Olivo or whoever, just get Jose to the bench in that situation...

If Jose faced Wunsch 100 times, he might get 5 hits. Seriously.

pssondacubs
05-26-2004, 01:40 PM
Jose's time is over. It isn't just a game or two. But if Ozzie benches him, he'll have to change his commercial that has Ozzie proclaiming "Jose is my best all around player". When I hear that commercial I wanna just hurl. And it's played over and over......

WWIII
05-26-2004, 02:44 PM
Originally posted by pssondacubs
Jose's time is over. It isn't just a game or two. But if Ozzie benches him, he'll have to change his commercial that has Ozzie proclaiming "Jose is my best all around player". When I hear that commercial I wanna just hurl. And it's played over and over......

Actually, it's Maggs who is the best all around player, and Jose, "ees my leader."

jeremyb1
05-26-2004, 03:25 PM
And what you guys mean in this thread is "Jose really stunk yesterday" because we don't have two righty bats to spell Harris and Valentin vs. lefties, right? Valentin crushed the ball Sunday including some success against lefties. It's not his fault he's being played against lefties because we don't have any better options. So far his offensive performance has been better this season than in the past despite increased at bats against lefties. How about giving him a break and not placing your entire evaluation of a player on one game.

maurice
05-26-2004, 04:17 PM
I agree that "Valentin really stunk yesterday" would be a better name for this thread . . . but a veteran player who makes $5 million / year should, at the very least, be able to put the ball into play against a mediocre LHP who can't even throw 90 MPH.

If you can't make any contact (or at times even get the bat within a foot of the ball) by swinging, cut down on your swing (a novel concept) or try bunting. Maye then you can do better than an "improved" .190 AVE / .277 OBP / .286 SLG.

ma_deuce
05-26-2004, 04:46 PM
Originally posted by maurice
If you can't make any contact (or at times even get the bat within a foot of the ball) by swinging, cut down on your swing (a novel concept) or try bunting.

:manos
"No more long ball? Ay ya yay!!!"

batmanZoSo
05-26-2004, 05:46 PM
Originally posted by Hangar18
His at bats arent even useful.......striking out on 3 pitches......

We just realized he can't hit lefties? Tell it to Ozzie. He'll tell you that he had no other option last night.

DickAllen72
05-26-2004, 07:24 PM
Valentin is killing this team. I don't know why he is thought of so highly by this organization.

Uribe is our best shortstop. Harris is our best 2nd baseman. Rowand isour best centerfielder. But because of this obsession with Valentin as our so-called "leader" everbody is continually forced to sit or play out of position just to make room for him.

It's not fair to the players involved nor the whole team. I have no problem with Valentin's attitude, but at this point he should be used strictly as a left handed bat off the bench or occasional left handed DH, and insurance in the infield.

Against righties, I'd have no problem with Valentin playing 3B until we can obtain a major league 3rd baseman. Joe Crede is slow enough as it is, but lately he does not even hustle. Let him pout down in the minor leagues until he gets his stroke back in late August/September like he does every year. Then add him when the rosters expand. To win a Division and beyond, we need players that play all season, not one or two months.

Maybe we can trade Valentin and Crede for Herbert Perry or Tony Graffanino.

lowesox
05-26-2004, 09:06 PM
Ooo and it keeps getting worse. 6 straight Ks.

BKozi
05-26-2004, 09:10 PM
Ozzie has to learn that you can't just let a guy play through a streak like this. It's not going to hurt "team chemistry" if we sit him for a week (or more if necessary) and let him pinch hit until he comes out of this slump (or whatever his semblence of that is)