PDA

View Full Version : Question on Mike and Mike Concerning the Sox

owensmouth
05-26-2004, 08:12 AM
I heard this on Mike and Mike, ESPN radio this morning and I'll pass it around here. If the White Sox got Randy Johnson for a package of minor leaguers, would the Sox win the World Series?

Forget about who the minor leaguers are, that's not a part of the question. It's just about the present lineup plus the big guy.
Whaddya think?

BKozi
05-26-2004, 08:32 AM
It's really kind of a moot point. If you listened to the segment with Jayson Stark, he mentioned that there is no way at all that RJ is going anywhere. He just bought land down there, has a no trade clause and I hate to say it, but I seriously doubt that he give up the no trade clause to come to Chicago. I can see the arguement that he would want another shot at a WS ring, but at his stage in his career, I think that it's more important to finish up someplace that your comfortable.

fledgedrallycap
05-26-2004, 08:38 AM
Originally posted by BKozi
at his stage in his career, I think that it's more important to finish up someplace that your comfortable.

Especially since he does have another year on his contract...

Arizona will listen to offers come late-June/July, but they can't confirm any deals a week after a perfect game, that would be something the White Sox PR Department would do.

ChiSoxBobette
05-26-2004, 09:42 AM
Originally posted by owensmouth
I heard this on Mike and Mike, ESPN radio this morning and I'll pass it around here. If the White Sox got Randy Johnson for a package of minor leaguers, would the Sox win the World Series?

Forget about who the minor leaguers are, that's not a part of the question. It's just about the present lineup plus the big guy.
Whaddya think?
I would hate to see the White Sox give up any real prospects for Randy Johnson the guys only going to be around what maybe two more years I'd rather go after someone else. as far as doing that and getting him who knows ,I thought we would have the same chance when they brought Colon here and look how that turned out.

SEALgep
05-26-2004, 09:50 AM
The addition of Johnson would solidify us not signing Maggs. Johnson is set to make $16 million next year. Hell of a pitcher, but no thanks.

E Coast Sox Fan
05-26-2004, 09:57 AM
Let's try to win the World Series this year and worry about next year then.

skottyj242
05-26-2004, 10:06 AM
I've been saying for a long time now that Greenberg is a believer in the Good Guys. Mike and Mike weren't even talking about the Sox, they were talking about Randy. Greenberg could have chosen anybody in the major leagues but he brought up the Sox. He also said that imagine (and I am), of in the playoffs a rotation of Johnson, Loaiza, Buehrle and Scho. Therefore Garland could work out of the bullpen which would only help. I know this isn't going to happen and if it did it would hinder resigning Maggs but who's to say that we wouldn't be able to trade Randy in the off season? I'm sure we could rent him for half a year and deal with it after the season. What happens if we sign Maggs within the next couple of weeks then go out and make this trade? Why couldn't we just trade Randy back to the Diamondbacks in the offseason for comprable to what we gave away for him? Of course there would be a rental fee.

Tekijawa
05-26-2004, 10:31 AM
Originally posted by skottyj242
Why couldn't we just trade Randy back to the Diamondbacks in the offseason for comprable to what we gave away for him? Of course there would be a rental fee.

I don't know we have a pretty good history of keeping the pitchers we trade for for more than one year...

rahulsekhar
05-26-2004, 10:37 AM

Whaddya think?

OK, I think I might be the first to actually address the question that was asked........

Assuming no one off of the ML roster is traded in this deal (i.e. current team+RJ)- IMO Sox+RJ would have to be co-favorites to get to the WS. RJ gives us a huge leg up in the division, and our offense is already pretty solid. Pitching would be better than Yanks but worse than Red Sox.

We could still use a contact-hitting lefty to balance out the lineup a bit, but RJ almost guarantees playoffs and with him pitching twice and Buehrle/Loaiza (not to mention Cy Garland if he can keep it up), I think we'd have as good a shot as anyone.

Jjav829
05-26-2004, 10:43 AM

Whaddya think?

I don't think you can say for sure whether we would or wouldn't win the World Series, but there's no doubt it would significantly increase our chances. I like the fact that Greeny brought the topic up himself. Help us get some national pub...

MarqSox
05-26-2004, 10:52 AM
Originally posted by skottyj242
Why couldn't we just trade Randy back to the Diamondbacks in the offseason for comprable to what we gave away for him? Of course there would be a rental fee.
It's a nice idea, but I can't see Selig allowing a true rental deal. Even if it was something unofficial between Az and the Sox, the return trade 3 months later would look pretty fishy.

As for the original question ... I'd be willing to literally give away the farm for a World Series. Problem is, what happens when you give away the farm and then you get swept out of the first round ...

MisterB
05-26-2004, 10:56 AM

Whaddya think?

Probably not. Johnson would give us a great rotation, but there are still other holes that will cause problems in the postseason. The bullpen is erratic: Koch is just barely getting the closer's job done, Marte has been iffy, Politte is just bad (sorry for not believing you, Tanko) - nobody in the bullpen is dominating. The offense is still unbalanced and inconsistent: all-or-nothing, righty-heavy and largely homer-reliant. Acquiring RJ would probably make the division ours, but the playoffs have a nasty habit of exposing weaknesses, and there are still more that need to be addressed.