PDA

View Full Version : Do people like Foltman?

jeremyb1
05-26-2004, 02:18 AM
He seems to write a lot of tripe such as:

If the White Sox ever wondered what it would be like to compete against themselves, they will find out in the next couple of days.

In many respects, the Texas Rangers and Sox are similar—two teams that live and die with their offense.

Hmm. Sox and Rangers are 4th and 6th respectively in the AL in ERA this season with the Sox just getting passed by Anaheim in the last few days. I think the pitching has made a difference.

chisoxt
05-26-2004, 07:03 AM
What ever happened to teddy greenstein??

MarqSox
05-26-2004, 07:14 AM
I haven't been impressed at all with Foltman so far. I don't hate his writing, but ... eh.

elrod
05-26-2004, 08:52 AM
I'm not sure what to make of Foltman yet. I think he's actually right about the offense. We may have good pitching but we don't win many 3-1 ballgames. They showed a stat on TV where the Sox hitters are .229 in losses and .312 in wins or something.

Win1ForMe
05-26-2004, 09:11 AM
Originally posted by jeremyb1

Hmm. Sox and Rangers are 4th and 6th respectively in the AL in ERA this season with the Sox just getting passed by Anaheim in the last few days. I think the pitching has made a difference.

Maybe he was referring more to the way our offense has performed in wins and loses. I remember there was a graphic (appropriately titled "All or Nothing") during the game last night with a ridiculous stat: the Sox avg. somewhere around 7.5 runs in wins and somewhere below 2.0 runs in losses, IIRC. So maybe Foltman thinks our games are decided by the offense, because even if the pitching stays solid, we can still lose games when our offense fails to show up.

BTW, I'd be interested to see our ERA in wins and loses, if anyone knows how to get that type of stat.

jackbrohamer
05-26-2004, 09:22 AM
The tone of his articles is less contemptuous than Sullivan's and Greenstein's were. It's still early though, he'll have to pay his dues by doing more Sox-bashing if he wants the Cubune's plum assignment of covering the Scrubs. Look for more articles on low attendance, Ligue and other non-sports-related matters in the near future.

iwannago
05-26-2004, 09:40 AM
Originally posted by chisoxt
What ever happened to teddy greenstein??

Daver told me he's an editor.

Lip Man 1
05-26-2004, 01:17 PM
Teddy is one of the editors of Red Eye where he can not root for his beloved Yankees in public.

Paul Sullivan is a dedicated Sox fan folks...read his WSI Interview. He was moved to the Cubs because that is the way they operate they rotate their beat writers every few years. It wasn't his decision.

Lip

jackbrohamer
05-26-2004, 01:24 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
Paul Sullivan is a dedicated Sox fan folks...read his WSI Interview. He was moved to the Cubs because that is the way they operate they rotate their beat writers every few years. It wasn't his decision.Lip

IIRC he said he grew up a Sox fan but isn't one now (or he doesn't pull for either team). What's undeniable is his coverage of the Sox showed an apparently obsessive fixation on attendance, sometimes at the expense of what actually happened during games. Which is the Cubune slant permeating all of its local baseball coverage ("Wrigley Field's Fun and Popular! Sox Park is Empty and Dangerous!")

GoSox2K3
05-26-2004, 01:45 PM
Originally posted by jackbrohamer
IIRC he said he grew up a Sox fan but isn't one now (or he doesn't pull for either team). What's undeniable is his coverage of the Sox showed an apparently obsessive fixation on attendance, sometimes at the expense of what actually happened during games. Which is the Cubune slant permeating all of its local baseball coverage ("Wrigley Field's Fun and Popular! Sox Park is Empty and Dangerous!")

He also expressed the opinion in some of his columns that Sox Park is the worst park in the league. Really, Paul? Worse than the Metrodome? A perfect Cubune opinion!

Voice of Reason
05-26-2004, 02:58 PM
Originally posted by jeremyb1

I thought his thing about pitch counts was worth reading.