PDA

View Full Version : Rumored by Our Guy on 35th: "Left Field To Be Double Decked"


joecrede
05-25-2004, 11:32 PM
FWIW, according to this Sox Blog (http://35thstreetmess.blogspot.com/).

Our guy on 35th says that there will be some sort of double decking above the left field seats and that the furthest LF billboard (currently a Chevy advertisement) will be removed. This "structure" could include an area where Kids FUNdementals will be relocated to.

SoxxoS
05-25-2004, 11:55 PM
Big announcement. Sweet.

joeynach
05-25-2004, 11:59 PM
Funny this is exactly what i reported would happen. I made a thread after i talked to an employee after enjoying the game from the stadium club. It was the bartender that tipped me off and told me this would be the case.

batmanZoSo
05-26-2004, 12:45 AM
Originally posted by joeynach
Funny this is exactly what i reported would happen. I made a thread after i talked to an employee after enjoying the game from the stadium club. It was the bartender that tipped me off and told me this would be the case.

I hope that gets done because we have all these right handed hitters. You can't really guage the distance on homers without an upper deck. It would be cool to see Thomas put one up there.

StockdaleForVeep
05-26-2004, 12:45 AM
Originally posted by joeynach
Funny this is exactly what i reported would happen. I made a thread after i talked to an employee after enjoying the game from the stadium club. It was the bartender that tipped me off and told me this would be the case.

And how much did you tip this guy to get that knowledge...so when i go i can try and see if he knows any more juicy facts :)

owensmouth
05-26-2004, 04:09 AM
Oh great, more empty seats.

What the Sox need isn't more empty seats, but some way to get seats into the already empty seats that they already have.

SSN721
05-26-2004, 06:31 AM
Still good news, like to see some rendering of it soon.

Cubbiesuck13
05-26-2004, 06:38 AM
i like this idea too. i love watching homers sail into something. the roof. uper deck. out of the park. anything. i think this will make it more apealing plus give a little boost to the homers (this will help right?)

MarqSox
05-26-2004, 07:13 AM
:chunks
Before you endorse this idea, go sit in the lower level of Miller Park's double-decked right field. It's like watching baseball in a cave.

34 Inch Stick
05-26-2004, 08:31 AM
Not to mention this is the area that gets the most sun in the entire ballpark. The Cell is the principal place I get rays during the summer.

If at all, it should be put in right field where those with northwest European ethnicities can avoid the dangers of skin cancer.

joeynach
05-26-2004, 08:45 AM
Originally posted by StockdaleForVeep
And how much did you tip this guy to get that knowledge...so when i go i can try and see if he knows any more juicy facts :)

Haha. Nothing. Like a $1 when he gave me a beer. I was talking to him while he was running my credit card and it turned out we were both from Purdue. So im sure thats why he gave me inside information, must have been that whole he is one of my own feeling.

SEALgep
05-26-2004, 09:10 AM
Originally posted by owensmouth
Oh great, more empty seats.

What the Sox need isn't more empty seats, but some way to get seats into the already empty seats that they already have. I'll sit there.

MarqSox
05-26-2004, 09:59 AM
Originally posted by SEALgep
I'll sit there.
Why? Isn't the idea to be CLOSER to the field? Why would anyone want sit in a higher level? The current outfield setup is fantastic, its the best place to sit in the entire park. Why mess with that?

dllrbll7
05-26-2004, 10:47 AM
I overheard some girl talking in the stands about the next phase and she said that there will be a home run porch in left field too. Dont know what connections she had though.

npdempse
05-26-2004, 10:58 AM
Originally posted by Cubbiesuck13
i like this idea too. i love watching homers sail into something. the roof. uper deck. out of the park. anything. i think this will make it more apealing plus give a little boost to the homers (this will help right?)

No, not unless it overhangs the outfield wall by 20ft. or so.

Glad I'm not planning on having my season tickets again next year--I'm kind of pissed that most of the HRs that go into my seats will now be landing above me, and that I'd be sitting "indoors".

iwannago
05-26-2004, 11:00 AM
Originally posted by MarqSox
Why? Isn't the idea to be CLOSER to the field? Why would anyone want sit in a higher level? The current outfield setup is fantastic, its the best place to sit in the entire park. Why mess with that?

When the Sox play at the Rangers look what their right field seating is like. I imagine that's what will happen at the cell in LF.
Sat there many times in Arlington, not a bad set up.

joeynach
05-26-2004, 11:08 AM
Originally posted by iwannago
When the Sox play at the Rangers look what their right field seating is like. I imagine that's what will happen at the cell in LF.
Sat there many times in Arlington, not a bad set up.

I sat there in Arlington too, its pretty nice. It would give a sweet view of our bullpen and be great to sit in, especially if they made the first few rows of the deck like an outdoor restuarant, hooters or Fridays or something. PLus they should make the seats cheap. Make em like $15 every game and people will pack up there. It wont be that high and it will give a great view of the field, like how many people loved to around the foul pole and left field area at old comiskey in the 1st few rows of the UD. It will be like that, great views. Unfortunalty this looks like the death of the Grand Entrance in left idea, i was definatly all for that, it would have been sweet.

Frater Perdurabo
05-26-2004, 11:28 AM
Originally posted by joeynach
Unfortunalty this looks like the death of the Grand Entrance in left idea, i was definatly all for that, it would have been sweet.

A second deck and a grand entrance in left field could be part of the same project. The two are not necessarily mutually exclusive.

BigFrankFan
05-26-2004, 11:32 AM
Are you suggesting then that eventually both LF & RF will be double decked? Will that push the seating back to 48,000?

As long as it doesn't impact the concourse, Jumbotron, or other displays I'm ok with it. I think it's better than the scenery behind the scoreboard now. There might be some ash on those people from the fireworks though :smile:

Jerko
05-26-2004, 11:34 AM
Originally posted by Frater Perdurabo
A second deck and a grand entrance in left field could be part of the same project. The two are not necessarily mutually exclusive.

What about us poor fools who have seats out in section 158, left field? Is there gonna be a "ceiling" above our seats? Are there gonna be thousands more people jammed out there than the place can presently hold? I hope it's nice, whatever they do. I just hope they do it completely and not just throw an extra slab of seats out there with no regard for the people who already sit out there.

Randar68
05-26-2004, 11:38 AM
Originally posted by Frater Perdurabo
A second deck and a grand entrance in left field could be part of the same project. The two are not necessarily mutually exclusive.

Moving the FUNdamentals out there would help pave the way to move the ramps inside the stadium on the 1st-baseline...

maurice
05-26-2004, 11:42 AM
IMHO, if they don't tie this into improvements facing the OUTSIDE of the stadium on 35th St. (e.g., grand entrance), it's a waste. OTOH, maybe that's the reason they switched it to the LF side. My favorite aspect of the UD renovations is the way it improves the look of the park on the outside.

BigFrankFan
05-26-2004, 11:46 AM
Originally posted by Randar68
Moving the FUNdamentals out there would help pave the way to move the ramps inside the stadium on the 1st-baseline...

Is there space available to do that? It sounds like they would leave the concourse in place & just add new seating where the signs now exist. Is that right?

Randar68
05-26-2004, 11:51 AM
Originally posted by BigFrankFan
Is there space available to do that? It sounds like they would leave the concourse in place & just add new seating where the signs now exist. Is that right?

It has been thrown around before. Moving the ramps indoors would require them to move all the Sox offices to a seperate building and gut that area. Re-locating the FUNdamentals would allow them to consolidate a couple of the ramps and enclose them, IMO.

However, the biggest eye-sores aren't on the west side of the stadium, it's the nearly un-used LF-corner ramps and the one crossing the street, following, in third place by the RF-corner ramps...

Foulke You
05-26-2004, 11:54 AM
I'm thinking this home run porch is going to be smaller in scale than people are thinking. I'm thinking it will be about a 2000 seat deck at most. I don't think it will be anything like the UD at Old Comiskey Park. I don't think the Sox are going to add 6000 seats up there when they know they are having difficulty filling seats as it is. It is probably going to be more for the aesthetics of the park than for seating capacity.

Randar68
05-26-2004, 11:59 AM
Originally posted by Foulke You
I'm thinking this home run porch is going to be smaller in scale than people are thinking. I'm thinking it will be about a 2000 seat deck at most. I don't think it will be anything like the UD at Old Comiskey Park. I don't think the Sox are going to add 6000 seats up there when they know they are having difficulty filling seats as it is. It is probably going to be more for the aesthetics of the park than for seating capacity.

2 things that would have to be addressed:

1) How do you make it close enough to the field and low enough to be a "HR Porch" without destroying the value of the seats below?
2) How do you build it as stated to not look out of place? It will be farther forward than the main UD, and may block the view of the scoreboard to some club/suite/UD areas.

RF has always made more sense to me, but I'd prefer they do:

1) do the LF Grand Entrance
2) move the other Ramps inside
3) more to aesthetically enhance the OF area/billboard junk

BigFrankFan
05-26-2004, 12:18 PM
Originally posted by Randar68
It has been thrown around before. Moving the ramps indoors would require them to move all the Sox offices to a seperate building and gut that area. Re-locating the FUNdamentals would allow them to consolidate a couple of the ramps and enclose them, IMO.

However, the biggest eye-sores aren't on the west side of the stadium, it's the nearly un-used LF-corner ramps and the one crossing the street, following, in third place by the RF-corner ramps...

The LF ramps are not really used because the majority of the general parking is on the 1st place side. This was a bad idea from the start & either re-orient the parking or just remove them.

I'm trying to picture what this would look like. Let's say you double deck the LF. Then it's a given you will have to do it in RF for symmetry. The signs can be extended higher so that's not really a problem. The problem is that the concourse would radically change. They need to maintain an obstructed view of the game from the concourse. Maybe they can do something retro there.

It sure will look different but if you did it to both sides it probably would get the stadium back to the 45-48 range & they would definitely sell those tickets for NYY, CHN, & BOS. About 10% of the home games.

TDog
05-26-2004, 12:21 PM
Sure, ruin the bleachers by adding some more bad seats. As long as it looks good on television.

Randar68
05-26-2004, 12:21 PM
Originally posted by BigFrankFan
The LF ramps are not really used because the majority of the general parking is on the 1st place side. This was a bad idea from the start & either re-orient the parking or just remove them.


I would guestimate that over 20% of your crowd comes from the Red Line, and even more than that on known "big games" like Cubs/Yankees games etc...

steff
05-26-2004, 12:22 PM
Originally posted by BigFrankFan
The LF ramps are not really used because the majority of the general parking is on the 1st place side. This was a bad idea from the start & either re-orient the parking or just remove them.




They have to be there in case of an emergency. A fire near section 144 would require fans to run all the way over to the 107 ramps to get down. That, IMO, would be a bad thing.

Brian26
05-26-2004, 12:22 PM
I've talked to a couple of people who did work on the park this winter and actually saw some sketches of possible future improvements.

A couple of interesting tidbits: There is a plan in place to extend the Stadium Club out into the rightfield concourse area. There are also some plans to build another fan-deck type of structure at the back of the rightfield concourse.

Randar68
05-26-2004, 12:22 PM
Originally posted by BigFrankFan
I'm trying to picture what this would look like. Let's say you double deck the LF. Then it's a given you will have to do it in RF for symmetry. The signs can be extended higher so that's not really a problem. The problem is that the concourse would radically change. They need to maintain an obstructed view of the game from the concourse. Maybe they can do something retro there. .

I can tell you with certainty that they will only do one side for an UD...

Randar68
05-26-2004, 12:23 PM
Originally posted by Brian26
I've talked to a couple of people who did work on the park this winter and actually saw some sketches of possible future improvements.

A couple of interesting tidbits: There is a plan in place to extend the Stadium Club out into the rightfield concourse area. There are also some plans to build another fan-deck type of structure at the back of the rightfield concourse.

Is that Stadium Club idea the one with the open-air extension of the restaurant?

Is the Stadium club that profitable in the first place?

steff
05-26-2004, 12:24 PM
Originally posted by Randar68
I would guestimate that over 20% of your crowd comes from the Red Line, and even more than that on known "big games" like Cubs/Yankees games etc...



Most times those gates are not even manned by ticket takers. I understand the reason for his comment.. but realistically those ramps need to be there. Even if they aren't in use.

steff
05-26-2004, 12:25 PM
Originally posted by Randar68
Is that Stadium Club idea the one with the open-air extension of the restaurant?

Is the Stadium club that profitable in the first place?



Moreso than the BPB. It's a cash cow!!

Jerko
05-26-2004, 12:28 PM
Stadium Club makes a killing up there. I don't know how they're gonna extend it though since there's like AIR between the end of it now and the next closest wall. I don't think they're gonna rebuild the entire concourse area. Who knows though!

Brian26
05-26-2004, 12:31 PM
Originally posted by Jerko
Stadium Club makes a killing up there. I don't know how they're gonna extend it though since there's like AIR between the end of it now and the next closest wall. I don't think they're gonna rebuild the entire concourse area. Who knows though!

I wish I had plans to post...I'm just going from my souce, who is pretty reliable. Wish I could say more.

steff
05-26-2004, 12:32 PM
Originally posted by Brian26
I've talked to a couple of people who did work on the park this winter and actually saw some sketches of possible future improvements.

A couple of interesting tidbits: There is a plan in place to extend the Stadium Club out into the rightfield concourse area. There are also some plans to build another fan-deck type of structure at the back of the rightfield concourse.


Brian I think they scrapped this idea when it was realized that they would have to build all the way up altering the structure from what they just did, but I'm not sure. Regardless I heard the same thing (didn't we talk about this at the fest..??)

Brian26
05-26-2004, 12:35 PM
Originally posted by steff
Brian I think they scrapped this idea when it was realized that they would have to build all the way up altering the structure from what they just did, but I'm not sure. Regardless I heard the same thing (didn't we talk about this at the fest..??)

No. We were just both really drunk and making fun of Torn Labrum. :D: (kidding!)

steff
05-26-2004, 12:36 PM
Originally posted by Brian26
No. We were just both really drunk and making fun of Torn Labrum. :D: (kidding!)




Ahhh.. it's all coming back to me now. :D:

Randar68
05-26-2004, 12:36 PM
Originally posted by steff
Most times those gates are not even manned by ticket takers. I understand the reason for his comment.. but realistically those ramps need to be there. Even if they aren't in use.

They NEVER (mayeb a couple times a year) let people into those gates...

They make train-riders stay on the north side of 35th and cross through that over-pass. It is somewhat police-enforced...

They should tear that current one down if they move the ramps inside the park and have an open-air (not multiple-deck) walk-way over the street connecting to that LF corner and a Grand Entrance...

pinwheels3530
05-26-2004, 12:38 PM
Originally posted by Jerko
Stadium Club makes a killing up there. I don't know how they're gonna extend it though since there's like AIR between the end of it now and the next closest wall. I don't think they're gonna rebuild the entire concourse area. Who knows though!


Maybe they'll extend it by making a outside patio just to the left of the stadium club above but not directly over the outfield concourse with the entrance/exit being at the stadium club where the concrete wall is now. As for the Lf porch they should make that a family section with Fundamentals going there we don't need no more drunks throwing beer from the second deck.

steff
05-26-2004, 12:39 PM
Originally posted by Randar68
They NEVER (mayeb a couple times a year) let people into those gates...

They make train-riders stay on the north side of 35th and cross through that over-pass. It is somewhat police-enforced...

They should tear that current one down if they move the ramps inside the park and have an open-air (not multiple-deck) walk-way over the street connecting to that LF corner and a Grand Entrance...



But they let people out of them every game.

Again.. nice idea. But if, God for bid, anything were to happen in the 144 to 155 area.. lots of folks would get hurt trying to get over to the 107 ramps.

DSpivack
05-26-2004, 12:40 PM
Will the planned LF porch be connected to the UD?

RedPinStripes
05-26-2004, 12:50 PM
I figured it would be in LF. if one is put in RF, wouldnt that block the view from the stadium club? That stadium club sucks anyway. The bar tenders are *******s , you have to use a credit card, and the only use i've found for it is a rain delay.

DOWN WITH THE STADIUM CLUB!

steff
05-26-2004, 12:52 PM
Originally posted by RedPinStripes
I figured it would be in LF. if one is put in RF, wouldnt that block the view from the stadium club? That stadium club sucks anyway. The bar tenders are *******s , you have to use a credit card, and the only use i've found for it is a rain delay.

DOWN WITH THE STADIUM CLUB!


Shouldn't you be at work...? :D:

Gammons Peter
05-26-2004, 12:54 PM
It's been many years since I've been in the stadium club, do you still have to have passes to get in there (part of Jerry's "separation of class" like when the outfield was roped off in year one of the park) or is it now open to the unwashed masses

Scotty347
05-26-2004, 12:57 PM
Originally posted by RedPinStripes
I figured it would be in LF. if one is put in RF, wouldnt that block the view from the stadium club? That stadium club sucks anyway. The bar tenders are *******s , you have to use a credit card, and the only use i've found for it is a rain delay.

DOWN WITH THE STADIUM CLUB!


The stadium club is the best part about having season tickets. It is great!

Making you use a credit card? I suppose if you don't have a bank account that would be a problem, since you would then have a debit card. But if you don't have a debit or credit card I don't suppose you would be able to do anything in the stadium club except browse anyway.

Seriously, it is a great place to go for season ticket holders.

steff
05-26-2004, 12:59 PM
Originally posted by Gammons Peter
It's been many years since I've been in the stadium club, do you still have to have passes to get in there (part of Jerry's "separation of class" like when the outfield was roped off in year one of the park) or is it now open to the unwashed masses



Good grief... It's by membership as are MANY other clubs like it in MANY other parks.

rahulsekhar
05-26-2004, 01:02 PM
Originally posted by steff
Good grief... It's by membership as are MANY other clubs like it in MANY other parks.

Or for that matter, other businesses. Think about the airline clubs (American's Admiral's club, United's Red Carpet Club, etc.), the preferred treatment you can get at hotels or rental cars by joining their clubs, etc. It's a way to reward your best customers, and is a good business idea.

ewokpelts
05-26-2004, 01:06 PM
Originally posted by MarqSox
:chunks
Before you endorse this idea, go sit in the lower level of Miller Park's double-decked right field. It's like watching baseball in a cave.

I sat there for the asg...it wasnt that bad...except i couldnt see hunter rob bonds of his homer
Gene

Gammons Peter
05-26-2004, 01:06 PM
why "good grief"

When the park first opened it was all about separation of the haves from the have nots. Don't you remember how they kept the people with outfield/bleacher seats roped in like animals (not unlike the upper deck situation now) and of course he had to have two levels of sky boxes plus a club level

ewokpelts
05-26-2004, 01:07 PM
Originally posted by rahulsekhar
Or for that matter, other businesses. Think about the airline clubs (American's Admiral's club, United's Red Carpet Club, etc.), the preferred treatment you can get at hotels or rental cars by joining their clubs, etc. It's a way to reward your best customers, and is a good business idea.

too bad baseball teams charge and arm and a leg to join them
Gene

p.s. teh stadium club is SWWWWWWWWWWWEEEEEEEET.

WWIII
05-26-2004, 02:03 PM
There is a rendering of the relocated FUNdamentals area at Whitesox.com. 15,000 sf on the left field concourse.

steff
05-26-2004, 03:10 PM
Originally posted by Gammons Peter
why "good grief"

When the park first opened it was all about separation of the haves from the have nots. Don't you remember how they kept the people with outfield/bleacher seats roped in like animals (not unlike the upper deck situation now) and of course he had to have two levels of sky boxes plus a club level


Sorry, no. never felt like that. It's a "extra" feature you pay for. Like going to see a movie.. you pay to get in, or you don't get in.

he_gone_89
05-26-2004, 04:52 PM
im glad to hear this
hopefully within the next 5-10 years the
ballpark will look like old comiskey,and then
it will be re-named comiskey park.

it dosnt matter that much to me because i
will always call it comiskey park

batmanZoSo
05-26-2004, 05:01 PM
Originally posted by Jerko
What about us poor fools who have seats out in section 158, left field? Is there gonna be a "ceiling" above our seats? Are there gonna be thousands more people jammed out there than the place can presently hold? I hope it's nice, whatever they do. I just hope they do it completely and not just throw an extra slab of seats out there with no regard for the people who already sit out there.

The porch is definitely going to be in right field now if at all, so you don't have to worry.

But if it does go up, they'll have their own bathrooms and food stands up there...I don't see how it would negatively affect anything.

One thing I hope they don't do is make it just like the one in Texas where it covers the entire lower level. It should hang over about ten-fifteen rows and have the same roof as the main upper deck with the poles pushed back towards the top. Texas has way too many obstructed view seats and now we have our fair share. That should be minimized.

RedPinStripes
05-26-2004, 06:05 PM
Originally posted by Scotty347
The stadium club is the best part about having season tickets. It is great!

Making you use a credit card? I suppose if you don't have a bank account that would be a problem, since you would then have a debit card. But if you don't have a debit or credit card I don't suppose you would be able to do anything in the stadium club except browse anyway.

Seriously, it is a great place to go for season ticket holders.

I have a credit card, and a debit card. And i still say it sucks. The nicest people up there are the Chicago cops who think the rules are complete bull****. The bartenders are ********s, the view sucks donkey balls unless you can get right on the glass, the food and drinks are to expensive , and if i wantedt o watch a game from a big screeen , i could go to a bar near my house .

That place is meant for rain delays IMO unless you like being treated like **** . Coorperate ********s and wannabe yuppies is all i see in there.

RedPinStripes
05-26-2004, 06:08 PM
Originally posted by steff
Shouldn't you be at work...? :D:

Remember that little union problem i told you about at my old job? I testified against the company today and yesterday. I told you i would have the last laugh. ****ers.

GoSox2K3
05-27-2004, 08:56 AM
Originally posted by steff
Good grief... It's by membership as are MANY other clubs like it in MANY other parks.

By "membership" do you mean season ticket holders only or a membership that anyone can join for a fee. If it's open to anyone, how much is the membership fee?

I have to agree with GammonsPeter, the impression I and everyone else I have ever talked to is that the Stadium Club is sort of like the skyboxes - not for the average fan. I have heard people rave about the fan deck and the bullpen bar, but never heard anyone say anything about the Stad. Club. If the team is making good $$ off of it, then good for them and I'm for anything that'll help increase the team payroll.

Vernam
05-27-2004, 08:20 PM
They showed a scale model of the park addition early in tonight's game. Not a new upper deck, but a "fundamentals area" for kids, built above the concourse (right over the LF Dippin' Dots stand ;^).

Looked pretty cool, won't hang over the existing seats. In right field, maybe they'll add a boxing ring. :D: