PDA

View Full Version : Let's get back to baseball

Soxheads
09-17-2001, 07:58 PM
This story is getting as bad as Condit. I know this is a national tragedy, but theres a point where its getting to be too much. Fox news tries to play on peoples emotions (histrionics) to get people to stay interested, but it didn't work for me. We have a big game coming up with the Yankmes and we need to get ready. I think the season is basically over unless we sweep NY and Cleveland gets swept. Any other thoughts?

Spiff
09-17-2001, 08:39 PM
Originally posted by Soxheads
This story is getting as bad as Condit. I know this is a national tragedy, but theres a point where its getting to be too much. Fox news tries to play on peoples emotions (histrionics) to get people to stay interested, but it didn't work for me. We have a big game coming up with the Yankmes and we need to get ready. I think the season is basically over unless we sweep NY and Cleveland gets swept. Any other thoughts?

Well that's a harsh way to put it. I still care what happens, I just can't take watching it 24/7.

And yes I'm glad to see baseball back.

doublem23
09-18-2001, 12:11 AM
Originally posted by Soxheads

$$$

With no sports, the only thing the news channels figured to be interesting to the general public seemed to be the WTC Tragedy... Love of money is the root of all evils, I 'spose...

Anyways, I am glad that we are in a Healing Phase. The Intial Shock of the whole ordeal has completely worn off (on me. I dunno. I tend not to let my emotions run away with themselves)... Though, the fact that I do live in Chicago (and not New York) surely has a thing to do with this... New York will be hard pressed to recover...

As for the nation, it is time to start healing. Though this will peramently scar us, we can't go around living in fear. We have to resume our normal lives. A little fear is a good thing, but to be wholely and completely consumed by it, THAT would be a terrible existance.

GASHWOUND
09-18-2001, 04:53 AM
When you get conditioned to watching baseball everyday and then its's taken off for more than a week, you're not use to it. I can't stand not watching the Sox for more than 1 day. Thats why I have over 167 videotapes of this years sox season along with last years sox season. All of my Sox recordings are wins. (I hope I'm not alone on doing this....anybody?) Uh, to continue, I usually watch the BIG Sox fight with the Tigers that happened last year. I usually watch it 2 or 3 times a day. Thats why I call my self Gashwound. Keith Foulke gave me the idea.

I watched the coverage non stop through Saturday, and then they just kept repeating the same things over and over cause they didn't have anything new to report. I am not as affected with the tragedy as people who live in New York, so it is natural to want to move on with your life. People in NY will NEVER get over this cause it has affected them more personally. Imagine if 5000 people died in Chicago after a plane destoyed the Sears Tower. I don't think we woud care if baseball canceled the remainder of the Sox season.

Its weird, are we being heartless if we want to talk about baseball and watch games and are not interested in discussing the tragedy. Of course not, this tragedy will be with us for the rest of our lives and us talking about baseball is just a way for people to feel good about something.

All the talk shows are in a panic cause they don't know what to do. Leno and Conan. People need some release and a way to get away from reallity, so the talk shows should do some comedy bits. Also bring out guests to talk about their views on the tragedies.

We need to get on with our lives. We need to "get away" and just live our lives the way we use to.

I was sick to my stomach when it happened. I don't want to see some woman on TV saying she lost her whole family in the attack. That stuff always makes me tear up and I don't liking tearing up. I like being happy and baseball makes me happy :)