PDA

View Full Version : Tuesday Night Fights (again)

jabrch
05-25-2004, 11:16 PM
I sat at a table on top of the BPSB - there was a nice fight up theres. We had two in the section just behind us - mostly Sox fans starting trouble with a Cubs fan who was a bit loud - but not causing anything. There were easily 10 fights that I saw. It sucks. It really does suck.

Brian26
05-25-2004, 11:20 PM
Wow. And the weather wasn't even 75 degrees tonight.

HomeFish
05-25-2004, 11:45 PM
There were two fights big enough to be visible from Section 136; one in the left field bleachers and one in right field. Both times the guy starting the fight attempted to run away and hide but both times security got him.

mdep524
05-26-2004, 12:01 AM
It was embarrasing how many fights occurred out there tonight. I was in the right field reserved seats, just trying to watch the frickin' game and a heck of a lot of the people out there were more concerned with egging on fights than what was happening on the field.

This has gotten totally out of hand. One of the fights in CF apparently involved a security guard getting attacked (though I did not see that one.) On my college budget, I love and appreciate going on Tuesdays, but something has to be done because the angers fan that was sitting next to me kept chuckling and thinking that stupid behavior is typical for Sox fans. "Welcome to South Side Chicago," he quipped.

whitesoxwilkes
05-26-2004, 12:01 AM
Originally posted by jabrch
I sat at a table on top of the BPSB - there was a nice fight up theres. We had two in the section just behind us - mostly Sox fans starting trouble with a Cubs fan who was a bit loud - but not causing anything. There were easily 10 fights that I saw. It sucks. It really does suck.

I was there, sat on the aisle 4 rows up from that crackhead Chub fan. The Sox fans didn't cause trouble, the Cubs fan asked for it.

Mohoney
05-26-2004, 12:05 AM

The downside to having 9,700 walk-ups on half-price night.

Out of 9,700, you have to assume that at least 2,000 are just brain-dead puds looking for a place to get smashed. Therefore, at least 2,000 people in the stands are not paying any attention to the game, and they are getting bored, drunk, and rowdy.

If you put 2,000 drunks in one place at one time, something violent is bound to happen. It's not our neighborhood, our park, or our fanbase: it's just the law of averages.

knocko94
05-26-2004, 12:44 AM
I was sitting in section 106, right behind the Bullpen Sports Bar, and the only fight I saw was in the right-center field bleachers, next to the fan deck.

Any other commotion in right field was for a few shouting matches (which resulted in no fighting whatsoever), a guy wearing some Cub gear near the bar that was egging on fans sitting higher up (again, no fights) and a few baloons being thrown around in right (with many fans standing up and shouting for a smokin' blond who got her hands on the baloon).

Just because a bunch of people stand up and yell when any of these things happen, doesn't mean there was a massive brawl in the bleachers. Lighten up everybody.

batmanZoSo
05-26-2004, 12:49 AM
Originally posted by Mohoney
The downside to having 9,700 walk-ups on half-price night.

Out of 9,700, you have to assume that at least 2,000 are just brain-dead puds looking for a place to get smashed. Therefore, at least 2,000 people in the stands are not paying any attention to the game, and they are getting bored, drunk, and rowdy.

If you put 2,000 drunks in one place at one time, something violent is bound to happen. It's not our neighborhood, our park, or our fanbase: it's just the law of averages.

LOL. Great post.

I went to that freezing cold, Cleveland Fight Night on a Tuesday...it was just a white trash extravaganza. I'm just gonna start cold cocking these morons when I see them starting their crap. I'm so sick of these dirty pigs going to baseball games. Cussing at every play with kids around, yelling at outfielders, turning around and getting in arguments with people 15 rows behind them. Yiiicchh.

ode to veeck
05-26-2004, 12:51 AM
I was sitting in section 106, right behind the Bullpen Sports Bar, and the only fight I saw was in the right-center field bleachers, next to the fan deck.

Welcome to WSI!!

knocko94
05-26-2004, 12:58 AM
Originally posted by ode to veeck

Welcome to WSI!!

Feels good to finally post!

Dan Gelo
05-26-2004, 03:53 AM
I was at the game tonight, and there were 8 fights :gulp: . This was only after I started counting in the third. Is it me or is this a wee bit ridiculous? I heard Wills talking about it after the game also. Where are these people from? Just a question.

I did laugh when a cubs fan got kicked out for instigating something. The crowd also erupted with cheers. :D:

Sorry didn't see the other thread.

C-Dawg
05-26-2004, 05:12 AM
Originally posted by knocko94

Yeah, that was my section too; I didn't notice any other fights besides the one you mentioned.

There was a group of drunk young guys taunting Texas right fielder Gary Matthews Jr. ("F___ You Matthews!!" they were saying) but security quickly leaned upon them to watch their language.

SSN721
05-26-2004, 06:28 AM
At the fan deck in center I would say that we counted about 8 or 9 fights in right and left field over the course of the evening. It does get annoying, as does the taunting of the fans that refused to throw the ball back after a Texas homerun. Good for them, I know it was discussed ina thread a few weeks ago but I just cant stand that practice at all. I thought fights would break out between the guys that caught it an all the people telling them to throw it back. BUt it is horribly distracting, even Mags, Crash and Lee kept looking back when either outfield started erupting in cheers and taunts. I dont know what you can do, it just makes for a crappy experience when it seemed to happen at least once an inning after the fourth.

Cubbiesuck13
05-26-2004, 06:33 AM
Originally posted by SSN721
At the fan deck in center I would say that we counted about 8 or 9 fights in right and left field over the course of the evening. It does get annoying, as does the taunting of the fans that refused to throw the ball back after a Texas homerun. Good for them, I know it was discussed ina thread a few weeks ago but I just cant stand that practice at all. I thought fights would break out between the guys that caught it an all the people telling them to throw it back. BUt it is horribly distracting, even Mags, Crash and Lee kept looking back when either outfield started erupting in cheers and taunts. I dont know what you can do, it just makes for a crappy experience when it seemed to happen at least once an inning after the fourth.

i guess tuesday is bachelor's night. sunday is family day. what we need is a ladies night.

davenicholson
05-26-2004, 07:52 AM
And here I was thinking about taking my 5- and 10 year-olds to a game or two this year. I suppose the solution would be to a) avoid half-price nights, and b) sit in the high-rent seats to avoid the riff-raff. Any of you senior citizens bring your kids to Sox games? Is there a (reasonably)family-safe zone anywhere in the park? It looks like more Kane County Cougars games for the davenicholson, Mrs. davenicholson and the miniature davenicholsons this summer!

dickallen15
05-26-2004, 08:12 AM
If this continues, look for half priced Tuesdays to be discontinued. Its ridiculous. These people come to save $10 on tickets, and then spend $50 on beer and a few hundred on bail. Dumb.

Eddie Gaedel
05-26-2004, 08:17 AM
Originally posted by davenicholson
Is there a (reasonably)family-safe zone anywhere in the park?

you're kidding, right? if you're that worried, maybe you shouldn't leave your house.

Hangar18
05-26-2004, 08:17 AM
There seem to be many many cub fans yelling and talking stuff.......
and SOX fans not wanting to let them talk.

samram
05-26-2004, 08:35 AM
Ah, it's the unavoidable "Morning after half-price night fight recap" thread. I think it's a matter of time before these nights are cancelled. The correlation between half-price and bad behavior is just too strong to say it's a coincidence.

One question- Would it infuriate any of you guys if they didn't serve alcohol on half-price nights except in the bullpen bar? I just think something's got to give, whether it's the ticket pricing or the availability of alcohol on those nights.

Another thing- if some moronic Cubs fan wants to shout crap about his team, just let him. His words have no effect on the outcome of the game. If he uses bad language or acts inappropriately, just report him to security. I also think that if no one pays attention, he'll probably feel like an idiot.

WWIII
05-26-2004, 08:39 AM
Originally posted by samram
Another thing- if some moronic Cubs fan wants to shout crap about his team, just let him. His words have no effect on the outcome of the game. If he uses bad language or acts inappropriately, just report him to security. I also think that if no one pays attention, he'll probably feel like an idiot.

Amen to that!

itsnotrequired
05-26-2004, 08:49 AM
My buddy and I were sitting in 111 and got a good view of most of the fights on the right side (and that blond :D: ). He was scoring the game and started keeping track of the fights in the right or left outfield seats. I think the left won, 7-4. Lame.

itsnotrequired
05-26-2004, 08:53 AM
Originally posted by samram

I saw some Cubs fan jawing away in the right corner. A Sox fan finally stood up and screamed the 10 rows back at him "Hey, shut up! Look at the score of the game! 5-0, Astros!" This got a lot of applause from the nearby crowd.

Jerko
05-26-2004, 09:04 AM
I'm getting sick of this crap. I will not go to a half price night; the 12 bucks saved or whatever the hell it is is NOT worth the aggravation. And I don't want to hear 2000 of 9000 walk ups are bound to be bad; Saturdays are crowded too and it's not half as bad fight-wise on those nights. However, if they stopped serving beer on Tuesdays, what do you think will happen? The SAME morons that get hammered because they think they're rich all of a sudden cause they saved 12 bucks on a ticket will just tailgate and be even more hammered, earlier. Or they would stay in Wrigleyville boozing it up from 10 to 7 and show up at the Cell already hammered, if they don't to that already. Imagine how much money they would save buying a case of beer and drinking it before the game for what it would cost to buy 2 beers inside the park!!!! Add a half price ticket to that and whoa; nirvana. I feel sorry for the people who can only afford to go on half price nights and have to be subjected to these *******s. And if you think this is bad with the Cub schleps now (who should have been watching their team who STARTED AT THE SAME TIME AS THE SOX DID), I can imagine how fun it's gonna be at the interleague series. They should end that too IMO, but $$$$$ dictates everything so maybe after a few more beatings and possibly a murder in OUR park, somebody will tire of this enough to do something about it. This happens EVERY time so I don't want to hear excuses. Yes Cub fans start crap but so what? They did at the all star game too which I am sure was more crowded than last night was and I didn't see one fight that day. It's not the day of the week, it's the *******s who gravitate towards "half price nights" that are the problem. Not ALL of them, mind you, I know there are some legit people who go to save $$$, but no half price nights = 90% less fights.

joeynach
05-26-2004, 09:05 AM
Originally posted by Dan Gelo
I was at the game tonight, and there were 8 fights :gulp: . This was only after I started counting in the third. Is it me or is this a wee bit ridiculous? I heard Wills talking about it after the game also. Where are these people from? Just a question.

I did laugh when a cubs fan got kicked out for instigating something. The crowd also erupted with cheers. :D:

Sorry didn't see the other thread.

These tueday nights are now becoming young people come wiht their group nights. I am guilty as well. We came with about 10 people, 1 girl was a cub fan. We didn't casuse any trouble. But there was a lot of young people groups out there and a lot of them had cub fans with them. The outfield was packed with younger people. A lof of the fights or ejectctions were the tautingting of the cub fans when they would turn around to the frat boys and wave their cub hat or cub jeresy around. The good news was there was a lot of excitment out there. All these people brought some loudness and electricity ot the crowd, like getting everyone up on 3-2 and 2-2 pitches. Most of the fights were drunk, young, and for some reason really obese people just going nuts. I dont really know the reason why. It was a little to wrigley for me, although at wrigley its like that every night and about 100x worse. Thank god our entire stadium isn't filled with the frat/sorority crowd to capacity every night. Honestly it just seemed like about a dozen jokers out there, ya know the people who wanna be hardasses and cant take a joke. "Hey man you disrespected and now im gonna kick your ass". Its just like shutup and watch the sox, this is not wrigley, this is not an outdoor frat party. I have a feeling they will go away when they get the drift that we dont want them there, sox fan or not.

FoulkeFan
05-26-2004, 09:15 AM
I was at the game last night too - on the fan deck. I just wanted to say that it wasn't only Cub fans starting trouble. There were two guys up on the fan deck wearing Cubs hats, but not causing trouble. The Sox fans really starting going after this guy. There wasn't a fight but it was pretty uncomfortable for a while until the two guys got up and left. As a White Sox fan, I was disgusted. Fans should be able to go to a game and wear a Cubs hat and not be worried about getting attacked. Also, on the way out walking down the ramps there was a guy wearing a Cubs jersey and everyone started chanting "Cubs suck" at him. This I think was his fault. You don't go to a White Sox game all decked out in your Cub gear unless you're looking for trouble. While I agree that Cubs fans were causing a lot of trouble, Sox fans weren't blameless either.

southsidesoxfan1
05-26-2004, 09:15 AM
I sat up in the upper deck for the first time this season last night and there was not one fight up there. It was a fantastic view from the last row behind home plate. I was blown away by the renovations and all the old pics on the walls of the concourse. It was a lot more peaceful than when I was in the bleachers at the last Tuesday game vs. Baltimore. Lots of hot chicks, too. :D:

jabrch
05-26-2004, 09:59 AM
Originally posted by whitesoxwilkes
I was there, sat on the aisle 4 rows up from that crackhead Chub fan. The Sox fans didn't cause trouble, the Cubs fan asked for it.

I was sitting in the tables over the pen right in front of him. People kept egging him on while he was wearing his cubs hat. He was having fun with it. Nobody deserved to get attacked.

jabrch
05-26-2004, 10:00 AM
Originally posted by knocko94
(with many fans standing up and shouting for a smokin' blond who got her hands on the baloon).

Yeah - she was a hottie.

jabrch
05-26-2004, 10:02 AM
Originally posted by C-Dawg
Yeah, that was my section too; I didn't notice any other fights besides the one you mentioned.

There was a group of drunk young guys taunting Texas right fielder Gary Matthews Jr. ("F___ You Matthews!!" they were saying) but security quickly leaned upon them to watch their language.

Those guys were sitting in row 1, right behind me (tables) right? At one point I asked them to tune it down a bit - they were screaming in my ears.

jabrch
05-26-2004, 10:05 AM
And here I was thinking about taking my 5- and 10 year-olds to a game or two this year. I suppose the solution would be to a) avoid half-price nights, and b) sit in the high-rent seats to avoid the riff-raff. Any of you senior citizens bring your kids to Sox games? Is there a (reasonably)family-safe zone anywhere in the park? It looks like more Kane County Cougars games for the davenicholson, Mrs. davenicholson and the miniature davenicholsons this summer!

Well dave - don't go on Tuesdays. I have a few extra Granton 1/2 price coupons that I will volunteer to give you so you can take the miniature davenicholsons to the park. They shouldn't be deprived because of a bunch of jerkoffs out there. I'd suggest the upper deck behind home plate or the high rent district. The 300s are expensive (40 each) but are always safe to take kids. The 100s between the bases and home plate are far better than the OF. Bottom line - keep the kids away from the OF and 1/2 price Tuesday.

Mickster
05-26-2004, 10:07 AM
Originally posted by dickallen15
These people come to save $10 on tickets, and then spend $50 on beer and a few hundred on bail. Dumb.

Which is precisely the reason for 1/2 price nights: make the tickets cheaper so people will come and spend more $$ on concessions.....

Iwritecode
05-26-2004, 10:18 AM
It's funny...

Voodoo predicted this would happen in the off-season. Not the fights so much but the abundance of Cubs fans at Sox games.

This is the back-lash of having all the Cubs games sold out through September.

You'd think they'd at least be intelligent/courteous enough to wear Bears or Bull gear. Oh, wait... We're talking about Cubs fans here...

SoxFan78
05-26-2004, 10:24 AM
I feel that if a Cub fan wants to come to Comiskey and wear Cub stuff thats fine. Just be ready to get some razzing on. What do they expect? They say how much wrigley is so much better then Comiskey, but they seem to always show up. I have gone to games at Wrigley, and when they werent playing the sox, I didn't wear anything sox related. Why would I? The scrubs aren't playing them, what am I trying to prove?

All Im saying is that if you wear Cubs gear to a sox game, and the Cubs aren't in Comiskey, then you can't be surprised if people give you crap.

SSN721
05-26-2004, 10:28 AM
Originally posted by FoulkeFan
I was at the game last night too - on the fan deck. I just wanted to say that it wasn't only Cub fans starting trouble. There were two guys up on the fan deck wearing Cubs hats, but not causing trouble. The Sox fans really starting going after this guy. There wasn't a fight but it was pretty uncomfortable for a while until the two guys got up and left. As a White Sox fan, I was disgusted. Fans should be able to go to a game and wear a Cubs hat and not be worried about getting attacked. Also, on the way out walking down the ramps there was a guy wearing a Cubs jersey and everyone started chanting "Cubs suck" at him. This I think was his fault. You don't go to a White Sox game all decked out in your Cub gear unless you're looking for trouble. While I agree that Cubs fans were causing a lot of trouble, Sox fans weren't blameless either.

We were sitting right next to Credes Crew and those two Cub fans were just a couple seats down standing in our row. One of them was half right at least wearing a bears sweater with his Cubs hat. They werent all decked and they definitely were not up there looking for trouble. They were talking cordially to the two groups around them and werent taunting or saying anything obove converstaional volume until a group of drunk fans on the back of the Fan Deck really started harrasing them. At least they really didnt make a fuss of it and just walked off of the fan deck. I dont think it is right necessarily but honestly I dont know what you would expect wearing anything CUb related to our park. I would never wear SOx stuff to Wrigley unless they were playing them, I would at least have the respect to just wear their oppeonents hat or jersey. I would expect to be harrased at Wrigley wearing anything Sox related so I dont know why Cubs fans wouldnt expect the same. I am not blaming them for all the fights by any means but wearing that stuff in our house in the first place certainly is not being cordial or not looking for any trouble at all.

davenicholson
05-26-2004, 10:41 AM
Originally posted by Eddie Gaedel
you're kidding, right? if you're that worried, maybe you shouldn't leave your house.
Very helpful, thanks, Eddie. If it's my friends and/or brothers and me, I'm not worried--I can take care of myself. But to subject my kids to the language, fighting and public drunkenness that I'm reading about here would ruin the purpose of taking them to a game.

davenicholson
05-26-2004, 10:43 AM
Well dave - don't go on Tuesdays. I have a few extra Granton 1/2 price coupons that I will volunteer to give you so you can take the miniature davenicholsons to the park. They shouldn't be deprived because of a bunch of jerkoffs out there. I'd suggest the upper deck behind home plate or the high rent district. The 300s are expensive (40 each) but are always safe to take kids. The 100s between the bases and home plate are far better than the OF. Bottom line - keep the kids away from the OF and 1/2 price Tuesday.
Thanks for the constructive feedback and the offer, jabrch. I think I'll take them to a day game some weekend, and take your advice on seating.

Cubbiesuck13
05-26-2004, 10:44 AM
so is it the resonable prices that attract trouble? if that is so, then the prices should go up.

or we could deal with it a differnt way, in a way that makes more sense. i stand by half price nights.

if the problem is cub fans, they will come to games if they want. and the cell will be more than happy to take their money. there is no one solution but i hope in the end, 1/2 price nights stay.

WWIII
05-26-2004, 10:52 AM
I am so sick of hearing that this is all Cubs fans' fault. It takes two to Tango (and fight). Yeah, if people come to Comiskey wearing Cub gear, they should expect to be razzed, but that's it. They should not expect to get beaten. If you see a Cub fan at Comiskey, and just have to attack him for being a Cub fan at a White Sox game, then you are the one with the problem.

Taunting and razzing can be expected at any sporting event where tens of thousands of people are gathered, but when someone gets physical, it's gone too far. I've seen some of these fights, and the ones I've seen, it's not the Cub fans throwing the first punch.

Plain and simple, there are people who go to the games looking for fights, just like there are people who go to bars and clubs looking for fights. Cub fans at a Sox game are just easy targets. I would be willing to bet the "Sox fans" involved in a lot of these altercations couldn't answer a few simple questions about 1st place team.

Now that I have ranted, I feel better. Thank you for listening (reading).

npdempse
05-26-2004, 10:53 AM
Originally posted by Jerko
And if you think this is bad with the Cub schleps now (who should have been watching their team who STARTED AT THE SAME TIME AS THE SOX DID), I can imagine how fun it's gonna be at the interleague series.

Pretty darned fun, actually. Things tend to be pretty cordial at the Cubs/Sox games. It's not drillrod drunks showing up, but people who have two ganglia to rub together--enough to buy tickets well in advance. If you're buying tickets in March for the Cubs/Sox series, I don't think the thought process is "that'll be a great game to get trashed at and mix it up with some Sox fans."

Jerko
05-26-2004, 11:06 AM
Originally posted by npdempse
Pretty darned fun, actually. Things tend to be pretty cordial at the Cubs/Sox games. It's not drillrod drunks showing up, but people who have two ganglia to rub together--enough to buy tickets well in advance. If you're buying tickets in March for the Cubs/Sox series, I don't think the thought process is "that'll be a great game to get trashed at and mix it up with some Sox fans."

I see your point but I think this year it's gonna be a little different. I just think the overall obnoxiousness of the drillrods is at an all time high and there will be enough of them around for further idiocy.

greenpeach
05-26-2004, 11:15 AM
Originally posted by Iwritecode
It's funny...

Voodoo predicted this would happen in the off-season. Not the fights so much but the abundance of Cubs fans at Sox games.

This is the back-lash of having all the Cubs games sold out through September.

You'd think they'd at least be intelligent/courteous enough to wear Bears or Bull gear. Oh, wait... We're talking about Cubs fans here...

Only an idiot would go to a game & wear the apparel of a hated rival. Especially when that rival isn't even playing.

It would be like going to Ohio Stadium & wearing Michigan gear while the Buckeyes are playing Michigan State. If you get pummeled, it's your own fault.

pinwheels3530
05-26-2004, 11:53 AM
I went to a cub/cardinal game last year in all sox gear and i don't consider myself a idiot. No one bothered me, just one cub fan started talking trash at the concession stand but nothing serious.
Sox fans are just making excuses for these incidents people should be able to wear what they want period!

WWIII
05-26-2004, 11:55 AM
Originally posted by greenpeach
Only an idiot would go to a game & wear the apparel of a hated rival. Especially when that rival isn't even playing.

It would be like going to Ohio Stadium & wearing Michigan gear while the Buckeyes are playing Michigan State. If you get pummeled, it's your own fault.

My neighbor wore a blue shirt into my house. Blue is his favorite color. He knows I hate the color blue. Therefore, I beat his a**. I'm not a violent person. It was his own fault. I wonder why no one comes over anymore.

soxruleEP
05-26-2004, 11:57 AM
Not all the obnoxious behavior is related to the Sox/SCrubs rivalry.

My wife and I took 35 girls from her high school to the game last night [not the best choice of night given the Tuesday history but she had the $ and wanted maximize the impact on the girls]. A group of half drunk "frat boys" (whether they were frat boys or not I am not sure but they were college age) were three rows behind us. One of the girls had a sweatshirt on with her name on the back and they began to yell vile suggestions using her name. I warned them that it they didn't cut it out, I would call security. Eventually I had to do so and security took care of it and had a clear presence in the area the entire game.

I would think we ought to be able to expect people to behave in a civilized manner in a public venue. I have season tickets and attend at least two out of every three games and the only time I see this generalized asininity is these Tuesday night debacles.

There has to be some way to reduce the cost to families and not invite troglodyte behavior.

32nd&Wallace
05-26-2004, 11:59 AM
I was in section 544 in the Upper Deck. Three fights in the bleachers were pretty visible. Figured a Cubs fan was involved. I can't imagine two Sox fans coming to blows.

alohafri
05-26-2004, 12:03 PM
"....Only an idiot would go to a game & wear the apparel of a hated rival. Especially when that rival isn't even playing.

It would be like going to Ohio Stadium & wearing Michigan gear while the Buckeyes are playing Michigan State. If you get pummeled, it's your own fault...."

This is an excellent point. Too many times I've gone to Sox park and there are idiots all decked out in their scrubby blue--they don't have to say anything--their apparel says it all. Wearing that crap in our park (not counting when we play them) is like wearing a billboard that says "Harass me!". I've only been to a few games so far this season but I've noticed a LOT more scrubby fans at our park this year. When the scrubs are bad (as they are most years), there aren't nearly as many scrub fans at Sox Park.

I also agree with Jerko that the interleague series is going to be pretty rowdy. Scrub fans have reached a new level of obnoxiousness (especially among the bandwagon jumpers) and it will be in full force at Sox Park that weekend.

Maybe the Sox should consider ending beer sales earlier during half price nights. It would be a shame to get rid of 1/2 price nights because of a few idiots.

---Mrs. Aloha

jabrch
05-26-2004, 12:05 PM
Originally posted by soxruleEP

There has to be some way to reduce the cost to families and not invite troglodyte behavior.

How about

1) Putting and end to half price Tuesdays
2) Start selling Granton Marketing type coupons before the season
3) Allow a small portion of the 20 Granton Marketing 1/2 price coupons to be used for lower deck seats (of the 18 on your sheet, maybe 6 are for lowers and 12 for uppers?)
4) Sell more limited season packages (Sox9, 5Spot, etc.)

jabrch
05-26-2004, 12:07 PM
Originally posted by alohafri
I also agree with Jerko that the interleague series is going to be pretty rowdy. Scrub fans [I]have reached a new level of obnoxiousness (especially among the bandwagon jumpers) and it will be in full force at Sox Park that weekend.
---Mrs. Aloha

I imagine that it is going to get messy that weekend. I hope they warm up the doors to the cell block under USCF. They will need it.

Scotty347
05-26-2004, 12:36 PM
There is a good reason the Sox vs. Cubs series was changed a few years back to ALL day games.

BTW, I'm as big a Sox fan and Cub hater as anybody, but I think its ridiculous that some are pawning this off on Cubs Fans and saying its all their fault that there are fights at our ballpark.

PaleHoseGeorge
05-26-2004, 12:37 PM
Originally posted by Scotty347
There is a good reason the Sox vs. Cubs series was changed a few years back to ALL day games.

BTW, I'm as big a Sox fan and Cub hater as anybody, but I think its ridiculous that some are pawning this off on Cubs Fans and saying its all their fault that there are fights at our ballpark.

You're a good Sox Fan. Be fruitful and multiply.

Hangar18
05-26-2004, 01:40 PM
We were sitting right next to Credes Crew and those two Cub fans were just a couple seats down standing in our row. One of them was half right at least wearing a bears sweater with his Cubs hat. They werent all decked and they definitely were not up there looking for trouble. They were talking cordially to the two groups around them and werent taunting or saying anything obove converstaional volume until a group of drunk fans on the back of the Fan Deck really started harrasing them. At least they really didnt make a fuss of it and just walked off of the fan deck. I dont think it is right necessarily but honestly I dont know what you would expect wearing anything CUb related to our park. I would never wear SOx stuff to Wrigley unless they were playing them, I would at least have the respect to just wear their oppeonents hat or jersey. I would expect to be harrased at Wrigley wearing anything Sox related so I dont know why Cubs fans wouldnt expect the same. I am not blaming them for all the fights by any means but wearing that stuff in our house in the first place certainly is not being cordial or not looking for any trouble at all.

I was one of those "drunks" behind those guys. Kittle42 & Realist were with me. It was good natured & well deserved.
Those guys took it in stride, but they knew better, why would they wear all that CubJunk in the 1st place???? At one point, about 6 different groups of people were hurling insults at them,
and they quietly left. When I wear my soxcap at The Urinal,
I expect the taunts and peanuts, but I dont get mad, i am wearing a sox cap. They usually dont bother me to tell the truth. But im sure if I kept Chanting 'LETS GO SOX" and "SOX SOX SOX" or "Were going to the Series" Im sure id be in a fight.

Cubbiesuck13
05-26-2004, 01:47 PM
i still don't see why getting rid of reasonable price tix would solve the problem. that is saying the poorer people don't know how to act. i think a jerk can be lower, middle or uper class.

wearing your favorite apparel to a game is not grounds for attack, being obnoxious is.

how about more security? that seems to solve a lot of problems.
that would be my answer to jerks who yell crude things at young girls (like the poster said) and for guys who are yelling excessive curse words. you have to use discression however, expect more than a few bad words before calling security. common sense solves problems.

SSN721
05-26-2004, 01:50 PM
Originally posted by Hangar18
I was one of those "drunks" behind those guys. Kittle42 & Realist were with me. It was good natured & well deserved.
Those guys took it in stride, but they knew better, why would they wear all that CubJunk in the 1st place???? At one point, about 6 different groups of people were hurling insults at them,
and they quietly left. When I wear my soxcap at The Urinal,
I expect the taunts and peanuts, but I dont get mad, i am wearing a sox cap. They usually dont bother me to tell the truth. But im sure if I kept Chanting 'LETS GO SOX" and "SOX SOX SOX" or "Were going to the Series" Im sure id be in a fight.

Well I dont know who it was but there were one or two guys that were definitely drunk that were harrassing them, and I know that they were wearing the Cub hats, but they were also keeping their mouths shut. If they had been drinking a lot and as agressive as whoever it was that were ribbing them beyond the point of good natured fun a fight would have easily broken out. I just wish that people would be more inclined to ignore them and just let the teams play it out on the field to earn bragging rights. Neither teams fans had much right to say who was better then the other and the fact these fights start and take attention away from the game and put other people in danger pisses me off. Good natured ribbing, fine, but to the point a couple guys were pressing them I thought it was extreme. I dont know what they looked like because everytime I turned around someone was giving them the business and I was trying to watch the game. These fights are just really getting irritating, hard to watch the game and if I had kids I would not feel comfortable taking them to the outfield at all on Tue nights the way I have seen everyone go this year. Its just a shame.

Hangar18
05-26-2004, 01:51 PM
When Insulting a Cub Fan, it is IMPORTANT to NEVER use foul language, Stick with Facts ("you guys barely discovered electricity in 1988" or "Elia was Right"), and Laugh a Lot.
Never come to blows, or use personal attacks

Hangar18
05-26-2004, 02:00 PM
These fights are just really getting irritating, hard to watch the game and if I had kids I would not feel comfortable taking them to the outfield at all on Tue nights the way I have seen everyone go this year. Its just a shame.

this is true, id rather just watch the game. I tend to think this whole thing is an anomoly, because the cubs are gonna go in the tank again sometime.......and these "fans" will stop showing up at The Cell. Think about it......... When has the MEDIA ever been this WILDLY HYSTERICAL for the cubs? Never. They are HOGWILD with coverage, creating stories, covering-up other stories. This as an extension can be blamed on the Media for hyping those people up, to the point they Feel EMBOLDENED and BRAZEN, Whipping these Sheep-like Fans into a FRENZY, spewing every single thing they Read in the Paper (My cousin just yesterday said to me "....gotta Love those Lovable lugnuts"-Incredibly......He had a feeling there was a minorlg team of some sort there, had no idea they were called the Lugnuts. Til Last Mondays Trib set him straight)
to walk around Comiskey Anointing themselves as CHAMPS, and having NOT WON A THING. IM tired of the "were #1" chants when the cubs ARENT even playing here. ITS ONLY MAY!
And cub fans are already uncontrollable.

Ahhhhhhhhhhhh ............. to be young and alive during this crazy period we call........... Cubby Camelot

kittle42
05-26-2004, 02:01 PM

That's just absurd.

Paxson93
05-26-2004, 02:10 PM
They are getting stricter with beer sales on half pice nights because of the Tues before last. In the bleachers anyway. Beer vendors were checking ids of everyone drinking beer (not just the person buying), regardless of age (carded a white haired man-- had to be 70-- slightly ridiculous!).

They also won't sell beer to anyone who has a beer already. I couldn't get a second beer because I had about a 1/4 cup left in my first (a sort of good idea, but it may just make the morons slam....)

Last night they cut beer sales off an inning early because of all the fights and the beer man said all employees were talked to about carding, etc. and they were told that they are all close to cutting off beer sales on half price nights altogether.

SoxxoS
05-26-2004, 02:34 PM
A Cub fan just called into the Score and said the two fights he saw were instigated by Cub fans wearing Cub jerseys.

shocking.

doublem23
05-26-2004, 02:42 PM
I amazed people even care this much. As long as you personally didn't get an ass-kicking, why even care about it?

Cubbiesuck13
05-26-2004, 02:50 PM
Originally posted by doublem23
I amazed people even care this much. As long as you personally didn't get an ass-kicking, why even care about it?

reputation i guess. i was under the impression that this was the norm under the veeck eras. i don't mind fights, kinda fun to watch but if i had a family and wanted to treat them to a nice ballgame maybe it would be different.

my dad used to take us kids(5) out to comiskey and let us run around the bleachers. there was ony one time that i can remember him saying something to a couple of young guys swearing a lot. i thought he was going to take them out (of course i never thought about the fact that there were more of them, and younger).

TaylorStSox
05-26-2004, 02:57 PM
The incessant Cub paranoia is so embarrasing. Seriously. When are Sox fans going to get over it and start rooting for the team without worrying about the team on the North side.

In reality, they don't care about us. Why should we care about them? It's ridiculous.

Their success isn't going to hurt us. THE SOX AREN'T GOING ANYWHERE. Get over it.

There are more Cubs fans. They get more media attention. So what?

Who cares what people wear to a baseball game? Some people act like Joan Rivers on the red carpet. I'm not checking out other guys to see if they're wearing red and blue.

It's fun to have a rivalry with friends. However, when it goes beyond that, it's plain stupid.

HebrewHammer
05-26-2004, 03:27 PM
Originally posted by Hangar18
I was one of those "drunks" behind those guys.

Which one were you? If I had to guess I'd say you were the "Where's your messiah now?"-guy, just a guess.

Personally I felt those guys got what they deserved, Cubs fans need to be taken down a peg or two, especially when they think they can show up at MY park with ScRubs feces smeared all over themselves.

kittle42
05-26-2004, 05:08 PM
I don't remember yelling at anyone. I do remember talking about how disgusted I was at all the fighting idiots to a gentleman sitting behind me.

pinwheels3530
05-26-2004, 05:25 PM
With the new fundamental park we might see some little sox fans take on little cubs fans from the ud on Kid $1 sundays. Those discounted tickets always seem to attract the wrong crowd :D:

MarkEdward
05-26-2004, 05:37 PM
Originally posted by alohafri
"....Only an idiot would go to a game & wear the apparel of a hated rival. Especially when that rival isn't even playing.

It would be like going to Ohio Stadium & wearing Michigan gear while the Buckeyes are playing Michigan State. If you get pummeled, it's your own fault...."

This is an excellent point. Too many times I've gone to Sox park and there are idiots all decked out in their scrubby blue--they don't have to say anything--their apparel says it all. Wearing that crap in our park (not counting when we play them) is like wearing a billboard that says "Harass me!". I've only been to a few games so far this season but I've noticed a LOT more scrubby fans at our park this year. When the scrubs are bad (as they are most years), there aren't nearly as many scrub fans at Sox Park.

I also agree with Jerko that the interleague series is going to be pretty rowdy. Scrub fans have reached a new level of obnoxiousness (especially among the bandwagon jumpers) and it will be in full force at Sox Park that weekend.

Maybe the Sox should consider ending beer sales earlier during half price nights. It would be a shame to get rid of 1/2 price nights because of a few idiots.

---Mrs. Aloha

So because he wears Cubs stuff, he should be beat up? Even if he's just there to enjoy the ballgame?

Guys - take off the Black, Silver, and White tinted glasses. Half of these fights are started by our fellow 'Sox' fans, though I really don't want to even call them that, because like someone else said, these guys know absolutely nothing about the Sox. But, a Cubs fan should be able to enjoy himself, IN WHATEVER HE WEARS, as long as he's not the one yelling curses/fighting/being ignorant. Many times, Sox fans just go and dump beer on these Cubs fans - thus fights are started, and the Cub fan is looked like the bad guy.

JohnJeter
05-26-2004, 05:57 PM
Um, it's just a game?

When all is said and done "in the grand scheme of things" (harumph), Sox and Cub fans have more in common with each other than they do differences.

Put it this way- let's say you're stuck in Iraq fighting next to a Cub fan. . .it's pretty safe to say your team allegiances would be a microscopic issue (actually a non-issue) "in the grand scheme of things".

batmanZoSo
05-26-2004, 06:02 PM
Originally posted by MarkEdward
So because he wears Cubs stuff, he should be beat up? Even if he's just there to enjoy the ballgame?

Guys - take off the Black, Silver, and White tinted glasses. Half of these fights are started by our fellow 'Sox' fans, though I really don't want to even call them that, because like someone else said, these guys know absolutely nothing about the Sox. But, a Cubs fan should be able to enjoy himself, IN WHATEVER HE WEARS, as long as he's not the one yelling curses/fighting/being ignorant. Many times, Sox fans just go and dump beer on these Cubs fans - thus fights are started, and the Cub fan is looked like the bad guy.

You're speaking about a vast minority there. Every time I go to a game, there's at least one guy in a cub jersey standing in his seat and preaching his cub wisdom to those in back of him, yelling and carrying on all night. I'm sure it happens at Wrigley too with Sox fans....people like that are just asking for an arse kicking.

samram
05-26-2004, 06:25 PM
Originally posted by batmanZoSo
You're speaking about a vast minority there. Every time I go to a game, there's at least one guy in a cub jersey standing in his seat and preaching his cub wisdom to those in back of him, yelling and carrying on all night. I'm sure it happens at Wrigley too with Sox fans....people like that are just asking for an arse kicking.

Or you could just ignore him and make him look like the stupid loud drunk that he is. Besides, Cub wisdom shouldn't take more than ten seconds to impart anyway.

Ruth Uribe
05-26-2004, 06:33 PM
I was at the game last night in section 160, row 25. A bunch of guys behind me showed up to the game already drunk. When they sat down they looked at the upper deck and one of them said, "A lot of empty seats up there", then his friend said, "Those aren't empty seats, those are just a bunch of god damn cubs fans wearing blue". Then later in the game they started smoking weed right there in the bleachers! I couldn't believe it. I witnessed about a dozen fights that night. The guys in the bullpen got a real kick out of it......especially Olivo. I can tell you one thing, most of the fights were caused by Cubs fans. At one point, a cubs fan stood up and started waving his Wood jersey. The Cubs fan got garbage thrown at him and eventually was beaten up.

Hangar18
05-26-2004, 06:38 PM
Originally posted by JohnJeter

Put it this way- let's say you're stuck in Iraq fighting next to a Cub fan. . .it's pretty safe to say your team allegiances would be a microscopic issue (actually a non-issue) "in the grand scheme of things".

Of course, if im fighting with a cub fan by my side, of course Im going to watch his back, and im sure vice-versa.

TornLabrum
05-26-2004, 06:51 PM
I'm getting sick reading all of this stuff. I want to re-emphasize a few points:

1) There is NO reason for any kind of fighting in the stands at a baseball game. Wearing any kind of clothing, even that of a hated rival is not grounds to beat the **** out of another person. It's called aggravated battery when you do. You can do prison time for that.

2) The use of any kind of language, or shouting support of another team, even a hated rival is not grounds to start a fight. If the person is obnoxious, there are ushers and security people on the premises to handle such situations. USE THEM. Otherwise it's called aggravated battery. You can do prison time for that.

3) People who show support for those starting a fight need to readjust their priorities.

davidleeroth
05-26-2004, 06:56 PM
i havent been to a half priced night in a long time, and i do believe that cub fans have a big part in this.

with that said, our fans have to rank in the top 5 of trashiest fans in all of sports- right up there with ohio state and raider fans. you can go to any game and see the guy with high tops, jean shorts, and a dego-tee on wasted and picking a fight. it sucks, but it happens.

what i'm proposing is keeping half-priced nights but moving them to tuesday and wednesday and making monday nights the cheap beer night. at least this would isolate the guys that are going just to get hammered and pick a fight.

dickallen15
05-26-2004, 07:02 PM
Originally posted by Cubbiesuck13
so is it the resonable prices that attract trouble? if that is so, then the prices should go up.

or we could deal with it a differnt way, in a way that makes more sense. i stand by half price nights.

if the problem is cub fans, they will come to games if they want. and the cell will be more than happy to take their money. there is no one solution but i hope in the end, 1/2 price nights stay.

The fights don't happen on regularly priced nights. What they should do is cut the outfield off from the rest of the lower deck on those nights, and be like Yankee Stadium and don't serve alcohol in the bleachers. But I suppose, the idiots would buy upper deck seats and someone will fall over the edge. I'd be willing to bet these half priced nights won't be around next year. I say good riddance. Its getting real embarrassing.

PaleHoseGeorge
05-26-2004, 07:04 PM
Originally posted by davidleeroth
i havent been to a half priced night in a long time, and i do believe that cub fans have a big part in this.

with that said, our fans have to rank in the top 5 of trashiest fans in all of sports- right up there with ohio state and raider fans. you can go to any game and see the guy with high tops, jean shorts, and a dego-tee on wasted and picking a fight. it sucks, but it happens.

what i'm proposing is keeping half-priced nights but moving them to tuesday and wednesday and making monday nights the cheap beer night. at least this would isolate the guys that are going just to get hammered and pick a fight.

Personally I would have given the "trashiest fans" award to the morons sitting in the second balcony at the UC, aka Blackhawks fans. Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life...

Thanks for sharing your great promotional idea for cheap beer, though...

duke of dorwood
05-26-2004, 07:10 PM

Why would anyone knowingly expose their kids to drunks and the possibility of being caught in a pile up? Maybe you shouldnt leave your house

THE_HOOTER
05-26-2004, 07:20 PM
Originally posted by TornLabrum
I'm getting sick reading all of this stuff. I want to re-emphasize a few points:

1) There is NO reason for any kind of fighting in the stands at a baseball game. Wearing any kind of clothing, even that of a hated rival is not grounds to beat the **** out of another person. It's called aggravated battery when you do. You can do prison time for that.

2) The use of any kind of language, or shouting support of another team, even a hated rival is not grounds to start a fight. If the person is obnoxious, there are ushers and security people on the premises to handle such situations. USE THEM. Otherwise it's called aggravated battery. You can do prison time for that.

3) People who show support for those starting a fight need to readjust their priorities.

Just read this post--there is no reason to go further with this--torn says it all.

kittle42
05-26-2004, 07:21 PM
Originally posted by batmanZoSo

Why is the answer to everything in our stupid society to start throwing punches?

People who fight are stupid.

kittle42
05-26-2004, 07:27 PM
Originally posted by TornLabrum

THANK YOU.

I don't mind making this statement: anyone who does not agree with the above is an imbecile.

Viva Magglio
05-26-2004, 09:01 PM

In baseball terms, that would be like someone donning Cubbie apparel while going to a White Sox-Cardinals interleague game at either USCF of Busch Stadium.

Of course, that does not mean I believe people should be attacked or even razzed for wearing hated rival apparel.

With regard to the fights themselves, I will not blame Cub fans for them. I said it last time, and I'll say it again. It takes two to tango; Sox fans who engage in this activity are drillrods too.

chunk
05-26-2004, 10:18 PM
I was sitting in section 151 and I had a good view of most of the fights. Carlos was watching quiet a few of them, so I felt it was necessary to yell at him. Also, there was some guy wearing a cubs jersey a few rows behind me, but underneath he was wearing the cork shirt, so no one knew what his story was. He was still yelled at by quiet a few fans.

Jeremy
05-26-2004, 10:24 PM
Im sorry but where have you guys been? I've seen more fights at the Cell and Old Comiskey then I ever did in high school. My first time at the Cell my group got into a fight with another group as we were leaving the game going down the ramps from the upperdeck. Everyone I talk to knows of the fights at the Cell... I see them all the time. Don't try to pretend like it doesn't happen, it is a rowdy place and those are the facts. Especially rowdy on the half price nights like you said... It's all the rough and tough South Siders that can actually afford a baseball game on tuesday nights... if you look at the on field incidents they usually happen on tuesdays too.

P.S. i've never really seen a fight inside Wrigley either, but Im sure there are fights over there. There used to be many fights at the Chicago Stadium/early United Center.

Jeremy
05-26-2004, 10:37 PM

LOL so true.

people just don't fight you for no reason... that kind of horsing around is easily avioded if you don't want to be a part of it... and also it's easily accesible if you want to get involved. I like it that way

Jeremy
05-26-2004, 10:40 PM
Originally posted by Viva Magglio
In baseball terms, that would be like someone donning Cubbie apparel while going to a White Sox-Cardinals interleague game at either USCF of Busch Stadium.

Of course, that does not mean I believe people should be attacked or even razzed for wearing hated rival apparel.

With regard to the fights themselves, I will not blame Cub fans for them. I said it last time, and I'll say it again. It takes two to tango; Sox fans who engage in this activity are drillrods too.

I wore my full Sox gear at Wrigley for opening day of the Cubs... I recieved no taunts or threats... the only attention I got was from two smoking hot blonde girls walking by and saying "sox suck" in a joking manner. I liked that. Im going to wear my Sox stuff when I go up to Milwaukee to see the Brewers play the Cubs.

Jeremy
05-26-2004, 10:53 PM
Originally posted by Cubbiesuck13

HELL NO, why would you want the ticket prices to go up? To eliminate the fights? Come on... the fights are fun to watch. I don't see how you don't enjoy them... and don't say because you have kids, because when I was a young lad and my Dad used to take me to old Comiskey, we used to see fights and I loved it then too. I've always refered to Comiskey as the "Public Boxing Ring"

nasox
05-26-2004, 10:55 PM
Originally posted by Jeremy
Im sorry but where have you guys been? I've seen more fights at the Cell and Old Comiskey then I ever did in high school. My first time at the Cell my group got into a fight with another group as we were leaving the game going down the ramps from the upperdeck. Everyone I talk to knows of the fights at the Cell... I see them all the time. Don't try to pretend like it doesn't happen, it is a rowdy place and those are the facts. Especially rowdy on the half price nights like you said... It's all the rough and tough South Siders that can actually afford a baseball game on tuesday nights... if you look at the on field incidents they usually happen on tuesdays too.

P.S. i've never really seen a fight inside Wrigley either, but Im sure there are fights over there. There used to be many fights at the Chicago Stadium/early United Center.

WORST.........POST............EVER......

Why would you diss the south side on a White Sox message board? I don't care what you might have meant.......you said the stupidest thing I have ever heard. And then you support Wrigley? Yes, I know you said you are "sure there are fights over there" but come on.

A GUY GOT KILLED FOR CRYING OUT LOUD. Right in front of Wrigley......he got murdered........gee....since you forgot about this, maybe you work for the Cubune too.

doublem23
05-26-2004, 10:58 PM

You're ****ing kidding right, or have you selectively forgotten when the drunken yuppie trash picked a fight with the Dodgers' bullpen a few years ago like the Cubune wants you to?

Dan Gelo
05-26-2004, 11:04 PM
Am I amiss when I seem to remember the flubs own Randy Meyers get attacked on the mound by one of their fans?

doublem23
05-26-2004, 11:07 PM
Originally posted by Dan Gelo
Am I amiss when I seem to remember the flubs own Randy Meyers get attacked on the mound by one of their fans?

Yep. And the "wonderful" Cub fans are also famous for throwing beers and other crap on the field at times.

But ssshhh... If you go to the Cell you might get beat up, so go to Wrigley and see baseball in a pure environment with true fans.

ma_deuce
05-27-2004, 12:02 AM
There is no equitable solution to this problem, outside of handing out boxing gloves and mouth guards at the gate. I should not be deprived of half-price tickets or late inning beers simply because some morons can't control themselves.

Honestly, I don't know what the bid surprise is. Tuesday night has been fight night at Sox park for some years now and I for one don't care if they happen or not. As long as it stays in the stands between two or more consenting drunks, so be it. That is what security is for.

Deuce

kittle42
05-27-2004, 01:00 AM
Originally posted by ma_deuce
There is no equitable solution to this problem, outside of handing out boxing gloves and mouth guards at the gate. I should not be deprived of half-price tickets or late inning beers simply because some morons can't control themselves.

Honestly, I don't know what the bid surprise is. Tuesday night has been fight night at Sox park for some years now and I for one don't care if they happen or not. As long as it stays in the stands between two or more consenting drunks, so be it. That is what security is for.

Deuce

Amen. I drink myself silly and don't feel I should have to pay for the idiocy of others.

davenicholson
05-27-2004, 07:19 AM
LOL so true.

people just don't fight you for no reason... that kind of horsing around is easily avioded if you don't want to be a part of it... and also it's easily accesible if you want to get involved. I like it that way
Jeremy,
I also want to thank you for your well-reasoned post. Maybe one day you'll bring your kid to a Sox game, and some of those happy-go-lucky, fun-loving drunks will decide to have an entertaining fight in your aisle. But don't worry about your kids, it's all in good fun.

This is perhaps one of the most disturbing threads I've ever read on this board. What I assumed to be more media-exaggerated reporting of fights at Sox games turns out to be the norm on Tuesday nights? And then I read posts defending and even supporting fights? Un-fricking believable.

As my kids get older (and attention spans correspondingly get longer), I have been pondering re-kindling the Sox tradition my Father shared with me, and start bringing the kids to the park a few times a year. But when I read threads like this, I'm not so sure. "Maybe I should stay in the house?" Because of some punks who can't hold their alcohol nor their testosterone? Maybe they should grow up. Stiff, well-publicized penalties, including jail time might be the only solution. I was young (once) and did my share of drinking at Comiskey, but my guys and I always had a designated driver, and *never* fought. We'd police our own if one of our group got too rowdy--who wants the hassle when there's a ball game to see?

Sorry for the curmudgeonly rant. I know that the vast majority of posters here and Sox fans in general aren't drunken idiots.

hsnterprize
05-27-2004, 08:01 AM
Jeremy,
I also want to thank you for your well-reasoned post. Maybe one day you'll bring your kid to a Sox game, and some of those happy-go-lucky, fun-loving drunks will decide to have an entertaining fight in your aisle. But don't worry about your kids, it's all in good fun.

This is perhaps one of the most disturbing threads I've ever read on this board. What I assumed to be more media-exaggerated reporting of fights at Sox games turns out to be the norm on Tuesday nights? And then I read posts defending and even supporting fights? Un-fricking believable.

As my kids get older (and attention spans correspondingly get longer), I have been pondering re-kindling the Sox tradition my Father shared with me, and start bringing the kids to the park a few times a year. But when I read threads like this, I'm not so sure. "Maybe I should stay in the house?" Because of some punks who can't hold their alcohol nor their testosterone? Maybe they should grow up. Stiff, well-publicized penalties, including jail time might be the only solution. I was young (once) and did my share of drinking at Comiskey, but my guys and I always had a designated driver, and *never* fought. We'd police our own if one of our group got too rowdy--who wants the hassle when there's a ball game to see?

Sorry for the curmudgeonly rant. I know that the vast majority of posters here and Sox fans in general aren't drunken idiots. You know something, DaveNicholson, I'm a father of 2 small boys, and there's another baby-hsnterprize on the way. I'd love to be able to take my family to see a White Sox game because the last thing I want for my kids to do...other than denying Christ in their lives, is to become Cubs fans. You and I both know that the best way for kids to become fans of a team is to take them to the stadium where the squad plays. However, there's something I'm legitimately scared of...

I'm scared I'm going to take my family to a game, and some moron sitting near us will start trouble. I'm afraid some jerk will say something to start a fight and cause a ruckus near our seats. I'm afraid I'll have to stand up and defend my family, and end up being lumped in with the idiots who only come to the park to start fights and further degrade the reputation of Sox baseball. You see where I'm going with this?

We're Sox fans...there's no doubt about that. I'd go to see the Sox no matter where they're playing, or who they're playing, etc. But when it comes to family, my priorities have to be different. I'm not saying I'd never take my family to see a game, but when you're constantly reading and seeing the fights that break out on lower priced nights, is it any wonder why the "average fan" could keep getting priced out of the ballpark? I don't want the situation to develop where people like me and you to have to take out a home equity loan to go to the ballpark. It's one thing that the prices are up because of player salaries/economics of baseball. It's another thing to be priced out because the team doesn't want the "riff-raff" to keep making their park look like a hangout for hoodlums. U.S. Cellular Field is already a "bad" place according to the "beautiful people" at the Tribune Company, ESPN's Chris Berman, and other "distinguished" journalists.

It's not like we have to add to our-already-established "bad rap." Here's something we can write Brooks about...how about a holding cell and kangaroo-courtroom similar to what was in Veteran's Stadium in Philly? There already is a holding room for troublemakers in the main foyer of the stadium. Why not have someone there pass an immediate sentence on those who cause the trouble at the ballpark? Look...we're tough fans, and I can live with that. However, it's one thing to be hard on our players for not performing well. It's another when one moron decides after one too many he's going to spread his ilk to innocent bystanders. We can rip people for wearing opposing team's colors to our ballpark all we want to. It's one thing to poke innocent fun in the name of team spirit. It's another thing to have security and police break up the "fun"...you follow?

Realist
05-27-2004, 08:16 AM
Originally posted by Scotty347

At the final home game last year, I was standing out on the left field concourse as the season ran down. I began to recap the whole rollercoaster of a ride the White Sox gave me over the course of the previous months. The montage of images that rushed through my mind included the 1-0 loss to the Tigers that promted me to immediately call my brother on my cell phone and proclaim, "It's official. We're the worst team in baseball", the climb back into contention, the arrival or Robbie Alomar and Carl Everett, Frank's extra innings home run to cap a sweep of the Twins last July when I attended each game, Colon's 3 strike outs of Bonds and Bonds monster blast in his fourth at bat that just amazed me, and WHITE SOX SUCK!! GO CUBS!! GO YANKEES!! SOX SUCK!! SOX SUCK!! was suddenly be screamed in my ear by 3 people standing no more than one foot behind me. They would not stop. Finally I turned around and retorted, "ENOUGH ALREADY!! SHUT THE *BLEEP* UP!! THE ENTIRE CONCOURSE IS OPEN!! GO STAND SOMEWHERE ELSE!!". It was amazing. I'm a pretty good sized guy and nobody messes with me ever. One of the guys looked like Red Greene's nephew Harold. One guy was pretty good sized but still much smaller than me, and one of them was a female (I would not call her a lady) They all kept yelling the same crap. The poindexter looking guy too. I couldn't help but think, "Is this guy soft in the head? I can kill him with one hand." When the two guys saw how pissed I was, they kinda backed off, but the female started screaming even louder right in my face. I finally said to the guys, "Whose is this? Because if you don't shut her up, I'm not gonna hit HER." Then the non-poindexter guy says to me, "Oh are you gonna run onto the field and kick the 1st base coach's ass?" I told him that I don't have to run onto the field to kick ANYBODY'S ass and I explained that they were in MY house and they should treat my house with respect or get the *beep* out. They finally got it and appologized. My hands were shaking like mad because I wanted to hit somebody so bad, and I haven't been in a fight since 1989 and before that it was 7th grade (not counting my undefeated record in hockey fights :smile: ) Without a doubt, we were just inches away from serious bloodshed that night.

I would never wear a Sox hat to a Cubs game that didn't involve the Sox. That's about as smart as wearing a pointed hood while strolling through Alligator Gardens. It just ain't too bright and it's inviting trouble.

That being said, I do notice a sharp rise in poorly mannered Sox fans this season. I've even gone so far as to tell 4 young idiot Sox fans to "knock it off" and "watch your mouth" when they were yelling obscenities at some quiet and well behaved Twins fans at a game last week. Sheesh. Were these kids raised by wolves? I feel like finding their parents and just slapping 'em and telling 'em, "Real nice job . Your kids are horrible."

jabrch
05-27-2004, 09:08 AM
HSN/DaveN

I'd say stay out of the OF seats - and avoid Tuesdays. Other than that, things are usually fairly safe at USCF. The UD can get bad sometimes also. But denying your kids the opportunity to be Sox fans is not the way to go.

my 2 cents

A.T. Money
05-27-2004, 09:18 AM
Just sit in the upperdeck behind home plate. You can witness the rumbles from afar. That's one reason I switched my season tickets. Too many distractions from the game.

pythons007
05-27-2004, 09:21 AM
I for one am a big fan of monday and Tuesday games. I do my fair share of drinking at the Cell, but i never get into fights. I go for one reason and one reason only, TO WATCH THE SOX. I can't stand when these thoughtless goons get hammered and beer muscles start fights. :angry: These guys are totally out of control. I think people like these numbnuts get into fights in the stand need to pay a steep fine and jail time. Get these retards out of the stadium!!

A.T. Money
05-27-2004, 09:33 AM
Could it be the return of the world's largest outdoor saloon???

Frater Perdurabo
05-27-2004, 09:37 AM
I don't have kids yet, but my wife and I are going to the half-price night game on July 26 against the Twins with my dad, sister and sister's boyfriend (a Twins fan!). It will be our only trip to the Cell this year since it's a 950-mile commute to Chicago from the far southwest suburbs of Garland, Texas. :D: I expect to give my sister's boyfriend a ton of grief, and I expect to take it from him if the Sox lose. I don't plan to drink anything but water, but I will enjoy a bratwurst or three. :smile:

There is nothing worse than a belligerent drunk. Sox fans (myself included) have to deal with the reality of a media-fueled national perception that we all are violent drunks. While in many cases it is Cubs fans who cause problems, the perception in the media that Sox games are unsafe is the reality with which we must deal. We Sox fans need to follow DaveNicholson's advice and police ourselves and the groups around us. There are only so many security guards and ushers, and they only intervene when things already have gotten out of hand. We (myself included, even though I'm only going to one game) need to do our part to keep things from reaching the point where they could get out of hand.

If someone is visibly drunk and becoming belligerent or obscene, quietly tell an usher and/or the beer vendor to cut them off. Report potential problems to security before they become real problems.

The only way to change the reality of the perception in the media, and the reality of the situation for those among us who want to keep our families safe, is to do our fair share (and sometimes more than our fair share) to keep our own house in order.

Whisox1
05-27-2004, 09:51 AM
Based on an e-mail I have seen from the White Sox organization to a friend of mine who inquired what they are going to do about the Tuesday situation, expect security guards to be posted at the bottom of the aisles in the outfield (ala the Wrigley bleachers) for the next Tuesday night game.

hawkeyesrule
05-27-2004, 10:05 AM
I have a few points to make:

1. There is nothing wrong with drunken 20 somethings in the park. Everyone seems to want things to attract 20 somethings to the park (bars/restaurants outside, etc.). Say there were 10 fights on a Tuesday, 20 people involved. Of the 3000(?) 20 somethings there, that's a pretty small %. Don't let that small percentage give everyone (and beer!) a bad name. I'm 25. I like to drink some beers at a game. The reason I've never gotten in a fight there is because my dad has drilled it in to my head since I was 3 years old, going to Shinnick's Pub, that you do not fight at a Sox game, nor do you run on the field. Why? Because of what the good people in blue will do to you at the local lock-up.

2. If someone wants to wear a cub hat at a Sox game, fine by me. That's not a reason to get in a fight with them. They want to represent their team, that's admirable (even though its the cubs). If you say something and they ignore you, they don't want any part of razzing, so just let it go. If they want to shut up and enjoy the game in peace, let them!

3. To solve this problem, maybe security should act BEFORE a fight breaks out. I don't want to blame security for fights...it's not their fault at all. They could do more to prevent them. Someone is stepping out of line? Go to warn them. If they have a bunch of booze on their breath, they get banished to the corner of the upper deck or they go home. This way, good fans with kids can go to half price night and not fear the outfield. And concentrate the extra security where you put the drunks. Make sure you tell them in no uncertain terms what the next step is if they step out of line upstairs.

4. And on a happy note, I'd like to send my apologies to Big Frank. Apparently he read my post about him being inconsistent and it lit a fire under him. Keep up the hot bat!

PINWHEELS
05-27-2004, 10:16 AM
As I Am Reading this Thread There is Something that tells me that this years SOX/cubs series at both parks is going to be nasty! This year unlike any other their is A LOT More friction going on between fans. Hopefully nothing series happens(Its just baseball!). Does Anybody else feel this way? Anyway this is my last post before I head out to Oakland CA. to see our Palehose take on the A's. I Will let you Know how the A's fans behave When I get back. GO SOX!!!!!

PINWHEELS
05-27-2004, 10:19 AM
:tomatoaward

32nd&Wallace
05-27-2004, 10:49 AM
Originally posted by PINWHEELS
As I Am Reading this Thread There is Something that tells me that this years SOX/cubs series at both parks is going to be nasty! This year unlike any other their is A LOT More friction going on between fans. Hopefully nothing series happens(Its just baseball!). Does Anybody else feel this way? Anyway this is my last post before I head out to Oakland CA. to see our Palehose take on the A's. I Will let you Know how the A's fans behave When I get back. GO SOX!!!!!

I think your dead on. If both teams are playing like they are now three weeks from now, it will be brutal. Consider that there has never been a crosstown series where both teams have been contending.

Brian26
05-27-2004, 12:34 PM
Originally posted by dickallen15
If this continues, look for half priced Tuesdays to be discontinued. Its ridiculous. These people come to save $10 on tickets, and then spend $50 on beer and a few hundred on bail. Dumb.

Whoa.

I just want to point out that Willsy used this EXACT same line last night on the radio.

So, there are three things that could be true:

1.) Willsy stole your line.

2.) Willsy used this line on Tuesday night, and then you stole it on Wed, and then he used it again Wed night.

3.) Dick Allen is Willsy.

Discuss.
:D: