PDA

View Full Version : Expect Rauch to get called up

A. Cavatica
05-25-2004, 11:20 PM
Rauch pitched an inning of relief tonight (1 0 0 0 0 1) behind Jason Grilli. This only makes sense if Rauch is getting the call for the fifth spot, because he was due to start today. He is not injured.

Borchard remains red hot: 3-for-4 (1 HR, 2 R, 2 RBI). Reed was 0-for-3 but chipped in a walk and a SF, driving in one.

SoxxoS
05-25-2004, 11:44 PM
Originally posted by A. Cavatica
Rauch pitched an inning of relief tonight (1 0 0 0 0 1) behind Jason Grilli. This only makes sense if Rauch is getting the call for the fifth spot, because he was due to start today. He is not injured.

Borchard remains red hot: 3-for-4 (1 HR, 2 R, 2 RBI). Reed was 0-for-3 but chipped in a walk and a SF, driving in one.

I'll take a page from Rosenbloom-

Joe Borchard, your table is ready.

TaylorStSox
05-25-2004, 11:58 PM
At this point, Borchard's gotta come up. I don't care what he's done for the last 2 years. People forget that he's been hurt.

Anybody with that high of a ceiling should be maximized. He's clearly locked in. 6 HR's and 19 RBI's in 8 days is unreal.

SoxxoS
05-26-2004, 12:00 AM
IIRC, Borchard is also a lot stronger against righties...and Aaron Rowand the opposite. I see a possible solution here. How about the brilliant idea of playing Borchard against righties, and Rowand against lefties? Sounds like a great plan to me.

OEO Magglio
05-26-2004, 12:05 AM
Originally posted by SoxxoS
IIRC, Borchard is also a lot stronger against righties...and Aaron Rowand the opposite. I see a possible solution here. How about the brilliant idea of playing Borchard against righties, and Rowand against lefties? Sounds like a great plan to me.
Then the problem remains with Willie, Uribe and Jose all needing pt. My solution to that trade Jose, I've been against trading him for a while now because of him being the only left handed power on the sox. But if he could help bring the sox a good starting pitcher then it'll be worth it because I'm sure willie could do the same thing Jose did tonight against lefties.

TaylorStSox
05-26-2004, 12:06 AM

I want Borchard playing everyday. If he comes up, Perez is gone and Rowand's the 4th outfielder. That will never happen but it's my armchair GM move of the night.

A. Cavatica
05-26-2004, 12:13 AM
The risk with Borchard is that he'll flame out and have to be sent back down. So I could understand it if the Sox hang on to Valentin and Perez for the time being.

My gut says Borchard takes Gload's spot on the roster and plays against most pitchers, with Rowand playing CF against some lefties and Perez stealing a little PT from Lee. Valentin plays some at first, which means Uribe plays more at short, which means Harris plays more at second.

TaylorStSox
05-26-2004, 12:17 AM
The risk with Borchard is that he'll flame out and have to be sent back down. So I could understand it if the Sox hang on to Valentin and Perez for the time being.

My gut says Borchard takes Gload's spot on the roster and plays against most pitchers, with Rowand playing CF against some lefties and Perez stealing a little PT from Lee. Valentin plays some at first, which means Uribe plays more at short, which means Harris plays more at second.

I was thinking the same thing, but if PK were to go down you'd be stuck with Thomas as your only 1st baseman. This has been debated countless times, but at this point, I like Frank to be an occasional fielder.

OEO Magglio
05-26-2004, 12:23 AM
Gload has been the sox best bench player this year, I'd much rather have him then Timo. Rowand is a 4th outfielder and I think everyone agrees on that, so trade Jose let Borchard and Rowand platoon in center and let willie and uribe play their natural positions.

tromcoe
05-26-2004, 12:23 AM
Let's hope Mag's is OK or we may see Joe anyway

MRKARNO
05-26-2004, 12:31 AM
Borchard and Reed are now batting the same .288....Except that Borchard gets a lot more XBHs so he'd be the guy to call up now.

OEO Magglio
05-26-2004, 12:33 AM
Originally posted by MRKARNO
Borchard and Reed are now batting the same .288....Except that Borchard gets a lot more XBHs so he'd be the guy to call up now.
I agree, plus the fact he's been down in the minors a longer time.

Mohoney
05-26-2004, 12:39 AM
Originally posted by OEO Magglio
Then the problem remains with Willie, Uribe and Jose all needing pt. My solution to that trade Jose, I've been against trading him for a while now because of him being the only left handed power on the sox. But if he could help bring the sox a good starting pitcher then it'll be worth it because I'm sure willie could do the same thing Jose did tonight against lefties.

I don't think that we can pull the trigger on a move until July.

This early in the season, what starting pitcher could a trade package centered around Valentin get us? That $5 million price tag will be tough to move. We would almost certainly be asked to do one of the following:

1. Throw in a good prospect like Arnie Munoz, and possbly pad the package with an A-ball pitching prospect.

2. Give sizable cash considerations to offset Valentin's salary.

We have no other choice but to wait it out until July.

Don't get me wrong, I would really like to get something for Valentin, but I don't see any takers this early.

OEO Magglio
05-26-2004, 12:42 AM
Originally posted by Mohoney
I don't think that we can pull the trigger on a move until July.

This early in the season, what starting pitcher could a trade package centered around Valentin get us? That $5 million price tag will be tough to move. We would almost certainly be asked to do one of the following:

1. Throw in a good prospect like Arnie Munoz, and possbly pad the package with an A-ball pitching prospect.

2. Give sizable cash considerations to offset Valentin's salary.

We have no other choice but to wait it out until July.

Don't get me wrong, I would really like to get something for Valentin, but I don't see any takers this early.
Unfortunately your probably right. Eventually the Mariners could be takers though but kw probably will have to wait it out a little while.

Mohoney
05-26-2004, 12:51 AM
Originally posted by OEO Magglio
Unfortunately your probably right. Eventually the Mariners could be takers though but kw probably will have to wait it out a little while.

And therein lies the problem. The team that seems most likely to give away major-league talent (the Mariners) already has a large amount of money tied in at SS with Rich Aurilia. They would have to move Aurilia before they give Freddy Garcia to us.

I don't think Seattle would give up Garcia that easily. However, maybe they would part with Jamie Moyer for the right price in July? Maybe Al Leiter, Ben Sheets, or Kris Benson could be had?

SoxxoS
05-26-2004, 12:53 AM
On Valentin: It's not $5 million at mid-season...it will be less than 3 million.

rahulsekhar
05-26-2004, 12:57 AM
Originally posted by TaylorStSox
I was thinking the same thing, but if PK were to go down you'd be stuck with Thomas as your only 1st baseman. This has been debated countless times, but at this point, I like Frank to be an occasional fielder.

Speaking of which....unless my schedule is off, in 2.5weeks we hit NL parks. So unless, Ozzie's planning on hitting PK instead of Frank, we'd better get the Hurt some time in the field soon.

Rex Hudler
05-26-2004, 01:01 AM

Count me in as one who thinks cutting back a guy's workload before promoting him is stupid. They did it with Diaz and now it seems so with Rauch. Why in the hell would they expect a pitcher to be sharp if he only pitches on inning in 9 days??

If someone has an argument on why this would be a good thing, I'd sure like to hear it. Extra rest is usually bad for a pitcher, especially in his first outing after said rest.

monkeypants
05-26-2004, 01:51 AM
I hope we play South Africa real soon.

gosox41
05-26-2004, 08:32 AM

It's about time Rauch is called up.

Bob

maurice
05-26-2004, 11:51 AM
I'm tentatively optimistic about these recent developments at Charlotte. If Borch and Rauch both come up and play well, we don't need to make a trade. OTOH, if there's an ace on the market before the deadline, you have to make an effort to get him.

As Kenny told the Southtown, "The only way I know is full throttle. Nobody has guaranteed me that I'll live to be 100 years old. Even if somebody did, my personality wouldn't change one bit. The Sox and their fans have waited far too long."

Randar68
05-26-2004, 11:59 AM
Originally posted by Rex Hudler
Count me in as one who thinks cutting back a guy's workload before promoting him is stupid. They did it with Diaz and now it seems so with Rauch. Why in the hell would they expect a pitcher to be sharp if he only pitches on inning in 9 days??

If someone has an argument on why this would be a good thing, I'd sure like to hear it. Extra rest is usually bad for a pitcher, especially in his first outing after said rest.

Instead of throwing on the side for the off-days between starts, they'll give him an inning yesterday, and probably another inning or 2 on Thursday or Friday...

Instead of working on the side, they're giving him game-action. I don't know if I agree, but otherwise, there wasn't enough time between his last start and Sunday for him to get a whole start between. Basically, they're giving him two "side-sessions" between the long delay between starts and it's game action instead of bullpen...

We'll see...

iwannago
05-26-2004, 12:04 PM
Originally posted by TaylorStSox

Is Gload out of options?

DSpivack
05-26-2004, 12:34 PM
Why the necessity to trade Valentin or send down Gload? Keep Gload and Borchard by getting rid of Timo- he sucks.

SoxxoS
05-26-2004, 12:39 PM
Originally posted by iwannago
Is Gload out of options?

He isn't going anywhere, so it doesn't matter. He is a great utility-25th man.

bobj4400
05-26-2004, 12:40 PM
Originally posted by DSpivack
Why the necessity to trade Valentin or send down Gload? Keep Gload and Borchard by getting rid of Timo- he sucks.

I like Timo. Get rid of Crash. Although neither one is going to make a difference in the long run, so I guess it really doesnt matter.

What sucks is how right handed the lineup is and how left handed the bench is. A balance needs to be struck somehow...

DSpivack
05-26-2004, 12:43 PM
Originally posted by bobj4400
I like Timo.

Why?

Randar68
05-26-2004, 12:45 PM
What sucks is how right handed the lineup is and how left handed the bench is. A balance needs to be struck somehow...

I agree. Ozzie was pretty hand-cuffed by not having any righties he was willing to send to the plate for Jose in the 8th inning last night...

iwannago
05-26-2004, 12:45 PM
He isn't going anywhere, so it doesn't matter. He is a great utility-25th man.

I agree that he's a great 25th man and I hope he isn't sent down, but if they had to make a quick move does Gload have options?

SoxxoS
05-26-2004, 12:59 PM
Originally posted by iwannago
I agree that he's a great 25th man and I hope he isn't sent down, but if they had to make a quick move does Gload have options?

Oh I see. I'll help you out and say I have no idea about the options.

bobj4400
05-26-2004, 01:21 PM
Originally posted by DSpivack
Why?

I should have qualified this by saying I like Timo if I had the choice between Timo and Crash. I did say in my post that neither will ever be a difference maker on this team, which I still believe is the truth...

DSpivack
05-26-2004, 01:34 PM
I should have qualified this by saying I like Timo if I had the choice between Timo and Crash. I did say in my post that neither will ever be a difference maker on this team, which I still believe is the truth...

No problem. I guess they aren't so different; ARow being slightly better offensively and Timo slightly better defensively. Though the offense could just be Rowand being currently "hot."