PDA

View Full Version : My Twinkee Dome Experience


Foulke You
05-25-2004, 05:07 PM
Sorry this is kind've late but I haven't had time to post. Went to the game last Friday at the dome and had a great time watching our Sox take game 2 of the series 8-2. It was my first experience in the dome and I was prepared for the worst baseball experience ever based upon what I've read here at WSI. There isn't much to look at outside. It looks like a big grey bubble with red support beams on the outside. As one Minneapolis bartender told me, "it is the pimple on the Minneapolis skyline". Once inside though, I actually was surprised that from where I was sitting (LF seats), the sightlines weren't too bad. (Thanks for the heads up Ma-gaga in the Parking Lot on where the best seats were) The Twins need a new stadium for sure and I'd much rather be outside watching baseball, but it wasn't too distracting to where I couldn't enjoy the game.

Some observations-

1. I can see how outfielders *cough Carlos Lee cough* can lose the ball in the lights or the roof. After the ball reaches a certain height in that dome, it becomes hard to see until it drops back down a little.

2. The smell when you first walk into the concourse is of boiled movie theater hot dogs (which i stayed away from as warned by from previous WSI visiters there). After you reach the field of play, it smells like high school gymnasium but you get used to it after being in there for a few minutes.

3. The banners hanging in the upper right corner of the stadium are nice and show off the championships and retired numbers. Adds some color to the blandness of the dome.

4. The exaust fans do indeed blow out when the Twins are batting and in when the Sox were up. How much this effects the ball is still to be determined but I experienced it first hand. It only stopped after Valentin put the game out of reach with that 2 run bomb (and it was a bomb) to RF.

5. CF in the dome is far. It says 408 out there but I wonder if it is more like 415. It is a good thing (bad for us) that the Twins have Torii Hunter to play CF for them because there is a lot of real estate to cover out there.

6. Twins fans left me and my girlfriend alone for the most part even though we were dressed in Sox black. Perhaps if the game was closer, I would have gotten more heat. Glad to see Twins fans weren't like Cubs fans and leave in the 7th no matter what. Almost everyone stayed of the 30,000 until the end of the game even though the T'Wolves were playing LA that night and the Sox had a big lead. Correct me if I'm wrong (Fhwghwads and Ma-Gaga can chime in here), but dreary rainy weather probably HELPS Twins attendance. It was rainy that day and they had 30000 despite the NBA playoff game.

7. Not much of a beer drinking crowd that night. The Miller man was quite lonely. Seemed very family oriented. Don't know if I just went on a family type night but it sort of reminded me of a Chicago Wolves Hockey crowd.

8. The Twins have foul "nets" not poles

9. The Metrodome PA Announcer...sucks

10. Despite all the critique of the new turf, I thought visually, it looked much better than the old stuff and there are less cheapie turf hits it seems.

Went to a couple of decent sports bars in downtown Minneapolis, one was called "Maxwell's" that had good beer and Fish and Chips and that was about a half mile from the dome. The other was called "Hubert's" right outside the stadium. (Good Shrimp Appetizers, Bad Pizza...guess i'm spoiled by Chicago) I'll have to check out the Town Hall Brewery next time, I passed it on the way to the hotel but didn't have time to stop there. Overall, I had a good time. Minneapolis is a nice little town :D: Don't know if I'd want to spend a week there but a weekend is just fine. I would definitely go back up there for a Sox game or two. I hope the Twins get that new outdoor park too, I'd love to go out there again and see it.

Sorry for the lengthy post, I'll try to post some pictures from my trip soon.

Baby Fisk
05-25-2004, 05:14 PM
Thanks for the report-back. What's the deal with that giant milk jug in RF?

Kadafi311
05-25-2004, 05:27 PM
Great report, enjoyed the read.

Skorch
05-25-2004, 05:29 PM
Foulke You - First time poster and Twins fan here. I'm glad you enjoyed your trip to our indoor baseball studio. Truthfully, I've been to so many games over the years that I've gotten accustomed to the how sorry the Dome is, but I'm positively salivating at the thought of finally getting a new outdoor stadium built. The location they're thinking of in Minneapolis is perfect in my opinion (near the Target Center and the warehouse district). I wonder if the Yomiuri Giants and their fans hate their dome as much as we do, seeing as how the Tokyodome was modeled after the Metrodome...

I was at the same game and saw a couple of Sox fans and made a point of welcoming them to Minneapolis when it was over. They seemed nice, but then again they could have been deliriously thrilled with the outcome of the game, which I would have been as well.

Also, you may have seen me. In the middle of the 6th inning I was on the Jumbotron for the trivia contest. My question was who was the last Twin to be voted AL MVP. My gut reaction was Rod Carew, but I said Kirby Puckett, crashing and burning in front of 30,000 people.

D'oh.

Oh, and the giant milk jug in RF? Minnesota is proud of it's dairy products, I guess. I wish they would have put it in fair territory, that way if a homerun hit it the broadcasters could say something to the effect of "and Jacque Jones has GOT MILK!"...

Rocky Soprano
05-25-2004, 05:37 PM
Welcome to the club Skorch!

:gulp:

jeremyb1
05-25-2004, 06:05 PM
Well if we're doing reports from the Dome, I can do a brief one.

I dragged one of my housemates along with me to the Sunday game. It wasn't a completely new experience for me since I've been a number of times before, most recently to witness the destruction of our playoff hopes in the fall. I was enjoying myself in the first inning but became pretty embarassed sporting my Sox hat once the Twins jumped out to a 6-3 lead after the third inning. As with my previous experiences though I didn't receive any flack from the Twins fans, mostly just a few strange looks. In line with my experience living up here, Minnesotans are nice people. The Twins fans that are more boisterous (as I tend to be at Sox games) aren't confrontational.

Once we started to pound the Twins, I enjoyed myself quite a bit but the fireworks became so extreme at some point that I almost started to get bored. If I'm at home I probably flip off a game where either team is up ten runs. Sadly, a lot of the Twins fans seemed into the game until pretty late despite such a huge deficit. Perhaps the product of having a team that's comeback and won so much the last few years? I can't imagine cheering like that from Sox fans for a home run or a good play down double digits.

Foulke You
05-25-2004, 06:37 PM
Originally posted by Skorch
Foulke You - First time poster and Twins fan here. I'm glad you enjoyed your trip to our indoor baseball studio. Truthfully, I've been to so many games over the years that I've gotten accustomed to the how sorry the Dome is, but I'm positively salivating at the thought of finally getting a new outdoor stadium built. The location they're thinking of in Minneapolis is perfect in my opinion (near the Target Center and the warehouse district). I wonder if the Yomiuri Giants and their fans hate their dome as much as we do, seeing as how the Tokyodome was modeled after the Metrodome...

I was at the same game and saw a couple of Sox fans and made a point of welcoming them to Minneapolis when it was over. They seemed nice, but then again they could have been deliriously thrilled with the outcome of the game, which I would have been as well.

Also, you may have seen me. In the middle of the 6th inning I was on the Jumbotron for the trivia contest. My question was who was the last Twin to be voted AL MVP. My gut reaction was Rod Carew, but I said Kirby Puckett, crashing and burning in front of 30,000 people.

D'oh.

Oh, and the giant milk jug in RF? Minnesota is proud of it's dairy products, I guess. I wish they would have put it in fair territory, that way if a homerun hit it the broadcasters could say something to the effect of "and Jacque Jones has GOT MILK!"...

Yeah, I remember that trivia question. Don't feel bad, I picked Puckett too. :D:

I agree on the Target Center area for the new stadium. Seems to be the jumping part of town and would be a logical place to build a new ballpark.

The milk jug thing cracked me up a bit. It lit up when the Twins hit a homer and the kids around me went absolutely ape**** pointing at the lit up milk carton. I guess when you don't have an exploding scoreboard, you look to the lit up dairy products. :cool:
But don't feel bad, they have one at venerable Fenway Park too that lights up with a Boston home run so you're not the only one.

Foulke You
05-25-2004, 06:45 PM
Originally posted by jeremyb1
Sadly, a lot of the Twins fans seemed into the game until pretty late despite such a huge deficit. Perhaps the product of having a team that's comeback and won so much the last few years? I can't imagine cheering like that from Sox fans for a home run or a good play down double digits.

They were like that for the Friday game too. Even with the Sox ahead 8-2 in the 9th, the people in front of me were saying "we're going to come back and win this, I just know it!" and they weren't being sarcastic. Twins fans were still with every play too all the way to the end. Don't know if it is like you said, they just got used to their team coming back all the time or if it is just hopeless optimism. If it is one thing White Sox know all about, and that is to EXPECT disaster. I couldn't see a Comiskey Park crowd getting excited or boisterous down 8-2 in the bottom of the 9th until the bases were loaded with nobody out.

LongLiveFisk
05-25-2004, 07:30 PM
Originally posted by Baby Fisk
Thanks for the report-back. What's the deal with that giant milk jug in RF?

Now why am I not surprised that YOU asked this question? (Hint: the chatroom the other day)

:)

ma-gaga
05-25-2004, 07:50 PM
Originally posted by Foulke You
Almost everyone stayed of the 30,000 until the end of the game even though the T'Wolves were playing LA that night and the Sox had a big lead. Correct me if I'm wrong (Fhwghwads and Ma-Gaga can chime in here), but dreary rainy weather probably HELPS Twins attendance. It was rainy that day and they had 30000 despite the NBA playoff game.
...
9. The Metrodome PA Announcer...sucks



Originally posted by Skorch
Also, you may have seen me. In the middle of the 6th inning I was on the Jumbotron for the trivia contest. My question was who was the last Twin to be voted AL MVP. My gut reaction was Rod Carew, but I said Kirby Puckett, crashing and burning in front of 30,000 people.


Foulke,
Sorry you got the crappy weather weekend. I don't think the sun came out once. You're right, that kind of weather helps Twins attendance. Friday night games tend to draw well. I'm glad we had a good showing, I truthfully haven't checked attendances all year. The Twolves game was probably a bigger draw, but the Twins is definitely more fan friendly (earlier start time).

The metrodome announcer, Bob Casey, mis-announces guys on purpose now. It's pretty funny really. Yes, he's terrible, but he'd likely call Ozzie Guillen, "Ozzie Vizquel" or similar. He's talked about retiring since Kirby Puckett retired in 1996. I don't know how long he'll keep doing the job.

Skorch,
I see you. You've posted that story in the commentary area on a great site. PM me if you want some pointers.

The Twins have pulled off some strange comebacks this year. A 6 run lead is pushing it. They've done a 4 run 9th inning comeback. At one time they had rallied in 13 of their 16 wins. Unreal.

white sox bill
05-26-2004, 07:24 AM
Went to a Vikes/Bears game back in 1990...the indoor effect was welcome for a football game, esp. in Decemeber. But I always thought The Cities were clean and well maintained and a lotta fun!

hose
05-26-2004, 07:59 AM
The last time I was at the Metrodome the Twins had a mascot that was shooting tee shirts with a air bazooka into the crowd. A mini blimp would float around and drop tee shirts to the crowd also.

I got the feeling of a minor league atmosphere geared toward all the youngsters in the crowd.

I noticed the mascot would start beating a drum (which sounded like it was over the PA system) as the Sox hitters started to swing at a pitch.

As far as the crowd and type of people at the Twins game goes its pretty much grand parents/ parents with kids. You might get a few jabs for wearing Sox gear but overall the crowd is about as civil as they come.

Minneapolis is what a fully grown Schaumburg would look like.

hose
05-26-2004, 08:04 AM
Here is a Twin City trivia question :

What former Dillinger gang member had a real bad day up in St.Paul ?

Baby Fisk
05-26-2004, 09:30 AM
Originally posted by LongLiveFisk
Now why am I not surprised that YOU asked this question? (Hint: the chatroom the other day)

:)
OK I'm busted. I promise to stop carrying on about the milk jug from now on.

(but it's just so ridiculous!) :D:

Skorch
05-26-2004, 10:55 AM
Every once in a while there are some really belligerent fans in the crowd at the Dome that I notice. I was at the Twins/Mariners game a few weeks ago and there was a couple two rows or so in front and off to the right of me that were decked out in Mariners gear. I thought nothing of it, but the immature dolts (3-4 of them, about 21-22 years old, and drunk) in front of me rode them throughout the game, especially towards the end when the Mariners put up 4 runs in the 8th inning (which the Twins did in kind in their half of the inning). When the game finally ended in the 11th inning (Twins won) they took it as some evident birthright to really rub it in.

I can't say these guys are even legit fans, they had very little clue as to who was who on the field (they confused the right-handed Joe Roa for the left-handed JC Romero, thought Guardado was still in the Twins bullpen instead of sitting on the other side, etc), and instead were simply there for sole purpose of having a place to drink the over-priced beer they have on tap.

The other time that comes to mind was during a game against the Rangers last season. The guy sitting in front of me wouldn't lay off Shane Spencer the whole time he was out there. At least this guy knew what was going on, and made references to Spencer's time with the Yankees, and pointing out that they never had a bobblehead day for him (it was AJ Pierzynski bobblehead day at the Dome, who was currently up to bat).

I've got no problem laying into whatever fielder is closest to me (usually the left outfielder), but I try to keep it limited to a few jabs a game and take into consideration the people around me. If I'm surrounded by people of a similarly boisterous mood I'll swear like a drunken sailor. If I'm in an area with a lot of kids I'll usually keep to myself with the exception of the occassional "BULL$%@*!" that escapes in a moment of frustration.

Hose - TC Bear still shoots T-shirts into the crowd. TC Bear is the focal point of a lot of my abuse for no good reason other than I get a kick out of swearing at such a kid-friendly marketing tool. They don't drop shirts from the blimp anymore, they did last season though. I don't ever remember a drum over the PA, but I suppose it could happen. That f'n drummer at Jacobs Field makes the games away at Cleveland a real test of wills for me to watch or listen to.

As to the Dillinger question, I'm not sure. There's a restaurant in the area that uses the fact that John Dillinger ate there (and had to make a hasty escape from) as a source for some of their advertisements. I'd say they should probably find a better marketing hook, as that one is getting pretty stale.

Ma-gaga - Thanks for the offer. I'll keep it mind if I need anything.

As to Bob Casey, some of my favorites this season for name pronounciations have been "Jesse Offerman" and "Rich Aguilera". He is a bit of an institution at Twins games, but I think he's more likely to die before he actually calls it quits, which could be any day now.

hose
05-26-2004, 11:13 AM
Originally posted by Skorch
Hose - As to the Dillinger question, I'm not sure. There's a restaurant in the area that uses the fact that John Dillinger ate there (and had to make a hasty escape from) as a source for some of their advertisements. I'd say they should probably find a better marketing hook, as that one is getting pretty stale.


Hint: It ain't Alvin Karpis.

OurBitchinMinny
05-26-2004, 01:53 PM
The metrodome PA announcer is revered up here. Its Bob Casey and he is about 700 years old I think. I dont think he is that great either, but he is sure loved up here. It was funny when knoblauch came back for the first time with the yankees and fans were throwing stuff at him....casey comes on the PA and just screams at the fans to knock it off.

Vernam
05-27-2004, 09:53 PM
Originally posted by ChisoxfaninMinny
The metrodome PA announcer is revered up here. Its Bob Casey and he is about 700 years old I think. I dont think he is that great either, but he is sure loved up here. It was funny when knoblauch came back for the first time with the yankees and fans were throwing stuff at him....casey comes on the PA and just screams at the fans to knock it off.

Cool! Maybe you've hit on the solution to our Tues Night Fights dilemma. Can we borrow Casey? ;^)

The new turf looks better on TV and definitely plays more like real grass, from what I've seen. It seems to take away some of the Twins' home advantage, at least based on last weekend.

VC