PDA

View Full Version : Door to Door Ticket Sales Happening

WSox8404
05-25-2004, 12:40 PM
I live on the SW side of the city, across the street from Midway to be exact, and a week ago my friend from a block away asked me if a sales rep came to my door selling the Granton Marketing coupon booklet. I said no, but that I bought one over the phone. I was shocked to hear something like this happened. Then a few days later when I was talking to my friend, also a member of WSI, about going to this Thursaday's game, I asked him if he knew anything about the coupon book. He said that a sales rep came to his door and that he bought a one. He lives about two miles away from me, a little closer to Harlem. I was stunned again for I can never remember anything like this happening.

The second friend I talked to told me that he talked to a lot of people around his neighborhood about whether or not they bought them too, and he said a ton of them did. I mean the booklet is great: 29.99 for four 1 dollar tickets and 20 buy one get one free coupons for tickets. But this is not the point. Going door to door is a great way to increase the fan base. And I think the results are good so far. Both of my friends bought them and we think a ton of other people did too.

So did any one of you's get these sales reps to your door? And if yes, where do you live? Is this a city wide campaign? I hope so. I would love to see this happen on the North Side. But anyway I think we are going in the right direction here. This should help big time in the long run. Tell me what you think.

sas1974
05-25-2004, 01:05 PM
I play in a softball league in Oak Park and last summer some guy came up to a bunch of us before a game trying to sell Granton coupon books. We hadn't heard of this deal prior to reading about it on WSI. As you can imagine, it sounded too good to be true, so nobody took him up on it.

Randar68
05-25-2004, 01:06 PM
Originally posted by sas1974
I play in a softball league in Oak Park and last summer some guy came up to a bunch of us before a game trying to sell Granton coupon books. We hadn't heard of this deal prior to reading about it on WSI. As you can imagine, it sounded too good to be true, so nobody took him up on it.

Yep, last year I heard a guy selling them at Einstein Bagels.

southsidesoxfan1
05-25-2004, 01:07 PM
I just had a nice girl from Granton Marketing at my door last night when I came back from walking my dog. I also live on the SW side of town, Brighton Park to be exact. The girl saw me and her eyes lit up because I was in my sox jacket, and she new she had a sucker. I was so glad cause I was about to call the Granton 800 number to order one. The girl was having a rough day in my neighborhood because her spanish was not so good and that she commented that she got a lot of laughs when she started her sales pitch in spanish. Anyways, it's a fantastic deal. It gives you four one dollar tickets coupons and 20 buy one get one free ticket coupons for $29.99, and it says on it that it can save you up to $470. Saddly they are only good for the upper deck box and upper deck reserved. I asked her why they changed it from last years coupon book that was good for any seat in the park, and she said that the sox really want people to check out the new renovated upper deck. Also, the only other restriction on the buy one get one free coupons is that they are no good for the 4 half price Monday games, the cubs series, and strangley the Red Sox series in August. So you can't use them for 10 games for the entire season, not bad considering its only May. The Granton girl seemed to have a whole lot of reciepts, so they were suprisingly moving pretty quick in my neck of the woods. With Loaiza on the cover of the book, it should get more of the Mexican community in my neighborhood to the ball park. With the coupon book no sox fan has an excuse to miss games. I've been avoiding the weekend games because of the price increases, but now its half price day everyday. Call Granton and order yours 1-800-775-1975.

DaveIsHere
05-25-2004, 01:07 PM
This is pathetic!!! Door to Door :?:

jabrch
05-25-2004, 01:08 PM
I wonder what the granton reps get per sale?

I am thrilled that they are doing it. I bought tickets for a bunch of games when mine came last week. I have a bunch already in the lowers that I paid full price for and now I have a bunch of other games sitting in uppers at half price. My only gripes about the Granton thing are that the RedSox series is blocked out, and that you can't use them for the PREMIUM upper boxes. i don't mind the restriction of uppers only - but I wish I could have used them for the premium uppers.

jabrch
05-25-2004, 01:11 PM
Originally posted by DaveIsHere

What's pathetic about it? I think it is great that they would hire Granton to do their promotions at a grass roots level. A lot of people will be able to buy more Sox tickets that otherwise might not be able to afford them. To me, that is a win for everyone.

Scotty347
05-25-2004, 01:16 PM
My dad called me the other day because he bought one. He lives on SW side around Archer/Harlem.

He said he was a little skeptical because it seemed like too good of a deal but was worth it for $30.

As for the sales pitch, he said the salesman said the reason they were doing this was "to get people to come back to the ballpark and check out how nice it is after the renovations."

Seems like a great way to get some people to check out the park, especially with the door to door selling.

southsidesoxfan1
05-25-2004, 01:21 PM
Originally posted by jabrch
What's pathetic about it? I think it is great that they would hire Granton to do their promotions at a grass roots level. A lot of people will be able to buy more Sox tickets that otherwise might not be able to afford them. To me, that is a win for everyone.

I agree, it's pretty smart to connect with the surrounding community agian. It sickens me when I see a young kid walking down my street with a Cubs hat. This may get new folks in the park, and hopefully create repeat customers. I think the sox have definitely neglected the surrounding growing hispanic community.

jabrch
05-25-2004, 01:28 PM
Originally posted by southsidesoxfan1
I agree, it's pretty smart to connect with the surrounding community agian. It sickens me when I see a young kid walking down my street with a Cubs hat. This may get new folks in the park, and hopefully create repeat customers. I think the sox have definitely neglected the surrounding growing hispanic community.

It also makes a baseball game more of a family friendly event. A family of 4 can come to a game for $24 on weekdays and $32 on weekends. Even for the most budeted households, that can be fit into most budets from time to time. Go on a Thursday night - and you get 1$ hotdogs also.

Really, this is a great idea and I am glad they are doing it again. I wish I could have used it for lowers, but I don't mind the UD so it doesn't bother me.

Dadawg_77
05-25-2004, 02:44 PM

Door to Door is a better way then phones these days for grassroots says.

BeerHandle
05-25-2004, 02:56 PM

DaveIsHere:

Come on! This is exactly what the Sox need. Grass roots to bring back the fans. I had a lot of friends who bought the books last year at First Base (32nd & Normal). They thought it might be a scam, but for $22 bucks they said it was worth a shot. They got to enjoy a lot more games since they were reduced tickets.

I love this promo.

DaveIsHere
05-25-2004, 03:04 PM
Originally posted by BeerHandle
DaveIsHere:

Come on! This is exactly what the Sox need. Grass roots to bring back the fans. I had a lot of friends who bought the books last year at First Base (32nd & Normal). They thought it might be a scam, but for $22 bucks they said it was worth a shot. They got to enjoy a lot more games since they were reduced tickets.

I love this promo.

I guess you are right, I just kind of found it...i dont know.....pathetic...but if it works that is good, I guess it makes people feel good about the team, anyhow Go Sox!!!

BeerHandle
05-25-2004, 03:17 PM
I guess you are right, I just kind of found it...i dont know.....pathetic...but if it works that is good, I guess it makes people feel good about the team, anyhow Go Sox!!!

They will work. Granton came to the Sox last year and said they could help get butts in the seats. I believe they started selling them in July. Attendance picked in July, August and September. No doubt, getting Alomar & Everett, and being in a playoff race helped; however, those on tight budgets got to experience many more games!!!

jabrch
05-25-2004, 03:23 PM
They will work. Granton came to the Sox last year and said they could help get butts in the seats. I believe they started selling them in July. Attendance picked in July, August and September. No doubt, getting Alomar & Everett, and being in a playoff race helped; however, those on tight budgets got to experience many more games!!!

I know I ended up going to twice as many games in the late summer as I had planned. I picked up just about an extra pair of tickets for each series and took different friends to games as my guest.

ewokpelts
05-25-2004, 03:23 PM
I just had a nice girl from Granton Marketing at my door last night when I came back from walking my dog. I also live on the SW side of town, Brighton Park to be exact. The girl saw me and her eyes lit up because I was in my sox jacket, and she new she had a sucker. I was so glad cause I was about to call the Granton 800 number to order one. The girl was having a rough day in my neighborhood because her spanish was not so good and that she commented that she got a lot of laughs when she started her sales pitch in spanish. Anyways, it's a fantastic deal. It gives you four one dollar tickets coupons and 20 buy one get one free ticket coupons for $29.99, and it says on it that it can save you up to $470. Saddly they are only good for the upper deck box and upper deck reserved. I asked her why they changed it from last years coupon book that was good for any seat in the park, and she said that the sox really want people to check out the new renovated upper deck. Also, the only other restriction on the buy one get one free coupons is that they are no good for the 4 half price Monday games, the cubs series, and strangley the Red Sox series in August. So you can't use them for 10 games for the entire season, not bad considering its only May. The Granton girl seemed to have a whole lot of reciepts, so they were suprisingly moving pretty quick in my neck of the woods. With Loaiza on the cover of the book, it should get more of the Mexican community in my neighborhood to the ball park. With the coupon book no sox fan has an excuse to miss games. I've been avoiding the weekend games because of the price increases, but now its half price day everyday. Call Granton and order yours 1-800-775-1975.

Hey! I used to live there! But seriously, you think the Sox want us to check out the renovated ud? It's more because they found out that people will gobble up the ld if it's half off, they'd rather have those same deal seekers crowd up the ud.

Also, I tried contacting them about selling the books, but alas, no response. I could have cleaned up.

Gene

ewokpelts
05-25-2004, 03:25 PM

But that's how Granton operates. Whether it's the sox, taco bell, or kfc. But it's good for the sox, since it'll BOOST ATTENDANCE. You's think that'd be a good thing, no matter the method.
Gene

ewokpelts
05-25-2004, 03:27 PM

Next year, they should sell the books in spanish as well as english. The ticket office only needs to understand the the promo code.
Gene

ewokpelts
05-25-2004, 03:29 PM

Originally posted by jabrch

I know I ended up going to twice as many games in the late summer as I had planned. I picked up just about an extra pair of tickets for each series and took different friends to games as my guest.

This is EXACTLY what the Sox wanted last year and this year. A boost to ADVANCE and walkup sales.
Gene