PDA

View Full Version : sox tv/radio contract

Cubbiesuck13
05-25-2004, 11:50 AM
i think that after this year the contract is up for tv. does anyone know the story on where they will be shown after the season.

the radio has a few more years left correct?

iwannago
05-25-2004, 12:32 PM
I heard stories out here that the Sox and some of the other teams are dropping FOX and will create their own broadcast.

doublem23
05-25-2004, 12:33 PM
Next year the Sox will be on a local, Comcast Sports Station and WGN. Don't know about WCIU. I don't know when the radio deal with ESPN-1000 ends, but I would have assumed someone would make noise about it if the deal was up at the end of this year.

joeynach
05-25-2004, 12:42 PM
Originally posted by Cubbiesuck13
i think that after this year the contract is up for tv. does anyone know the story on where they will be shown after the season.

the radio has a few more years left correct?

Comcast is launching Comcast Sports Chicago in 2005. A majority of Sox, Cubs, Bulls and Blackhawk games with be shown on this channel. FOX Sports Chicago i beleive is being bought out and will become this new more expanisve channel. WGN will still carry some of the Sox, Cubs, and Bulls games as well. I do believe this channel will be an independent entity only affiliated with comcast. Therefore it will be sold to cable and satellite subscribers not on Comcast. My friend in Kalamazoo Michigan, has Comcast Sports Detroit or whatever and he is an Insight Cable customer, not a comcast one. Furthermore the radio deal with ESPN1000 is up at the end of 2005 from the last i heard. Dont know if they want to buy a new contract or if the sox want to sell to the highest bidder.

iwannago
05-25-2004, 12:46 PM
The Orioles, Wizards and Capitals are on Comcast Sports. Its channel 629 if you have DIRECTV.

Cubbiesuck13
05-25-2004, 01:08 PM
Originally posted by iwannago
The Orioles, Wizards and Capitals are on Comcast Sports. Its channel 629 if you have DIRECTV.

if this channel shows both sox and flubs, how many sox games will be shown? the reason i ask is that for the baseball package with direct tv, they black out wciu games.

Dadawg_77
05-25-2004, 02:27 PM
if this channel shows both sox and flubs, how many sox games will be shown? the reason i ask is that for the baseball package with direct tv, they black out wciu games.

WCIU games are WGN games which WGN doesn't want to carry on WGN.

MRKARNO
05-25-2004, 02:31 PM

I would guess that the Comcast Sports channel will take the place of Fox Sports Net and FSN+. The games that would have been on that channel will now be on Comcast sports channel or whatever. The games that were on WGN or WCIU will stay on those channels.

Frater Perdurabo
05-25-2004, 03:56 PM
As for the radio deal --

A Sox move to WSCR 670 AM would be a tremendous plus. 670 has a great signal hundreds of miles away in most directions. It is my understanding that while 1000 AM has a strong signal, it doesn't reach well to the west or the southwest. I remember years ago picking up 670 (when it was WMAQ, and when the Sox games were broadcast there before) as far south as Carbondale.