PDA

View Full Version : Ordonez Close to Re-Signing According to N.Y. Daily News

joecrede
05-25-2004, 11:30 AM
Take this FWIW:

Today's N.Y. Daily News says:

"CF Carlos Beltran should be the premier player available (with the White Sox back atop the AL Central and close to re-signing Magglio Ordonez)."

Linky (http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/story/196727p-169903c.html)

Hangar18
05-25-2004, 11:33 AM
THIS IS HUUUUUUUUUUUUUGE NEWS ! My confidence in the WhiteSox is Sooon Restored :smile:

Randar68
05-25-2004, 11:38 AM
Originally posted by Hangar18
THIS IS HUUUUUUUUUUUUUGE NEWS ! My confidence in the WhiteSox is Sooon Restored :smile:

When all the local papers say negotiations aren't progressing well, why would we be so quick to believe a NY publication? Simply because it is repeating what we Sox fans wish to hear?

How vague of a reference was that by the NY writer? Don't blow this out of proportion.

Rocky Soprano
05-25-2004, 11:38 AM
PLEASE LET THIS BE TRUE! :)

Frater Perdurabo
05-25-2004, 11:40 AM
If they do re-sign Maggs, that makes Carlos Lee -- or Paul Konerko -- more expendable in trade for a CF or starting pitcher as well.

delben91
05-25-2004, 11:43 AM
I'll believe it when I see it in a White Sox press release.

depy48
05-25-2004, 11:44 AM
not too sound pessimistic, but i'll believe it when i see it...
i dont want to get my hopes up only to be crushed, i really really want to see maggs wear #30 for us for a long long time. (actually he can wear whatever number he wants, as long as he stays)

bobj4400

I found that quote to be somewhat general in nature and feel that it was probably recycled from old new stories written a month or two ago when the rumors were flying that we were about to re-sign Maggs. In my opinion, this isnt really anything to get excited about.

Now go out and prove me wrong JR!!!

joecrede
Originally posted by Randar68
When all the local papers say negotiations aren't progressing well, why would we be so quick to believe a NY publication? Simply because it is repeating what we Sox fans wish to hear?

How vague of a reference was that by the NY writer? Don't blow this out of proportion.

I agree with not blowing this out of proportion, but it would not be the first time a New York paper scooped a Chicago paper on Sox news when it had a New York angle. Last year's Colon deal comes to mind.

SEALgep
05-25-2004, 11:47 AM
This would ruin HomeFish's day if it were true. :D:

Randar68
05-25-2004, 11:48 AM
Originally posted by joecrede
I agree with not blowing this out of proportion, but it would not be the first time a New York paper scooped a Chicago paper on Sox news when it had a New York angle. Last year's Colon deal comes to mind.

However, that was because KW is tight-lipped and the NYY were part of that 3-way trade with Montreal. This is a completely internal matter.

SEALgep
05-25-2004, 11:54 AM
This could be just a misinterpretation by a NY journalist, but with the big announcement pending, this certainly could be the good news. I hope so. As this point was brought up in this thread, C Lee would become more expendable. Although if Maggs wasn't going to be resigned, I would be cautious to deal Lee. Let's hope for the best, but I've had a good feeling about Magg's coming back from the get go. I honestly think a deal will get done, just a matter of time, IMO. We'll see. :smile:

joecrede
05-25-2004, 11:56 AM
Originally posted by Randar68
However, that was because KW is tight-lipped and the NYY were part of that 3-way trade with Montreal. This is a completely internal matter.

The reporter could have a source with the Mets who he asked about Ordonez. The source could have said something like "we've asked about him, but he's close to re-signing."

jackbrohamer
05-25-2004, 12:00 PM
Originally posted by joecrede
(with the White Sox back atop the AL Central and close to re-signing Magglio Ordonez)."

Sounds like an assumption on the part of the writer rather than knowledge of any specific information

samram
05-25-2004, 12:03 PM
Originally posted by bobj4400
I found that quote to be somewhat general in nature and feel that it was probably recycled from old new stories written a month or two ago when the rumors were flying that we were about to re-sign Maggs. In my opinion, this isnt really anything to get excited about.

Now go out and prove me wrong JR!!!

My thoughts exactly. All that indicates to me is he heard something at some point about the negotiations. There are no sources quoted or referred to. He probably read it in a paper in Chicago while fact-checking for his story.

iwannago
05-25-2004, 12:25 PM
I would feel better if the quote was from the Times instead of the Daily.

kittle42
05-25-2004, 12:27 PM
I would be the first person in line at Grandstand to get an Ordonez jersey.

pinwheels3530
05-25-2004, 02:10 PM

Good to hear your confidence being restore, now go renew your season tickets to pay Maggs. :D: