PDA

View Full Version : Weathering the first half storm

ChiSox7
05-25-2004, 10:45 AM
I was just looking over the Twins and ChiSox schedules for the first half now that we are tied and its like starting a new season here at the end of the May. I have mixed feelings after taking a good look at it.

Getting right to the point, the Twins have a fairly easy schedule while we play a lot of tough road opponents, espeically out west (fun, i know). It might be tough to stick with the Twins before the all star break, but that would probably be okay, because the Twins second half schedule is absolutely BRUTAL. From July 30 on they have:

@bal
@CHisox
Bos
Ana
Oak
@Sea
@Cleve
NYY
Cleve
@Tex
@Ana
Tex
KC
@Bal
@Det
Chisox
Bal
@Chi
@Cleve
@NYY
Cleve

That is just brutal. only a couple real breaks in there. That being said, it will be importnat for our confidence that we don't fall too far behind befor the all-star break. If we can stay within 4 or 5 games, or even closer, or even take the lead, I really think we have a great shot in the second half. I just figured I warn people to get ready to see a lot of Twins wins here in the next month and a half, and hopefully we can take them out when it counts at the end.

Thoughts?

Frater Perdurabo
05-25-2004, 10:49 AM
This makes it even more important that the Sox keep winning now. Build up a lead now and then really push the pedal to the metal during the second half. That's why they need to make a deal NOW for a starting pitcher, preferably an ace or #2 to push Garland back to #5.

elrod
05-25-2004, 11:09 AM
Next week will be big. We play Tex, Ana at home and Oak and Sea on the road while the Twins play at TB and KC and home against TB, Det and the Mets. It will be tough to keep up with them but if we do we'll be in good shape.

SSN721
05-25-2004, 11:18 AM
Originally posted by elrod
Next week will be big. We play Tex, Ana at home and Oak and Sea on the road while the Twins play at TB and KC and home against TB, Det and the Mets. It will be tough to keep up with them but if we do we'll be in good shape.

I agree, these next 6 games are very key, if we can go 4-2 in this small strech have a good run before going out west it would be huge. I would love for us to trade for another starter now to keep us in every game, if we can stay even with the Twins til the break I think that this team will take the division.

Lip Man 1
05-25-2004, 11:54 AM
Something important needs to be noted as well about the end of the season schedule for the Twins. Remember by the time Minnesota goes to New York, the Yankees may have already wrapped up a playoff spot (in fact they probably will have...) That means the lineup may be missing some if not most of the regulars.

It could make things a lot easier for the Twins to win a few of those games.

Lip

hold2dibber
05-25-2004, 12:26 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
Something important needs to be noted as well about the end of the season schedule for the Twins. Remember by the time Minnesota goes to New York, the Yankees may have already wrapped up a playoff spot (in fact they probably will have...) That means the lineup may be missing some if not most of the regulars.

Lip

I wouldn't assume that. The Red Sox are a damn good team and I see no reason to think that the Yankees will pull away from them. And the Wild Card may not come from the AL East, as the Angles and A's are both, IMHO, 90+ win teams in the West. I think there is a decent possibility that the Yankees will be fighting for a playoff spot down to the end.

pudge
05-25-2004, 12:28 PM

Lip

The Yanks won't have anything wrapped up, it's going down to the bitter end with Boston and several capable wild card teams in the mix. Not sure why you'd think otherwise.

CHISOXFAN13
05-25-2004, 12:28 PM

Lip

That's fine. By that point, I am figuring we will have already wrapped up the division.

And I don't expect the Yankees to have clinched the East with one week to play.

doublem23
05-25-2004, 12:36 PM

Lip

Ever heard of the Red Sox?

MRKARNO
05-25-2004, 01:16 PM

Lip

Yeah I really dissagree with you. I think there we have 4 teams that have the best shot at the three non AL Central playoff spots: Oakland, Anaheim, Boston and New York. Texas is a good team, but they wont be in the playoff hunt this year because they are probably only an 88 win team at the very best over the course of a year. Watch them start to fade in this stretch of 40 games with about 30 on the road. But the AL West Runner up and the AL east runner up race could be a tight one this year. Nothing should be wrapped up until the final series of the year for those 3 playoff spots.

Lip Man 1
05-25-2004, 04:35 PM
Question: Will any of those other teams contending for the 'wild card' spot pick up the kinds of players that Yankees have been making a habit of getting every July?

Think Minnesota is going to spend a lot of money? or Oakland?

Boston and Anaheim are the only ones. (I don't mention the Sox because they'll be solidly in first place.....right ?)

Lip

OEO Magglio
05-25-2004, 04:50 PM
Question: Will any of those other teams contending for the 'wild card' spot pick up the kinds of players that Yankees have been making a habit of getting every July?

Boston and Anaheim are the only ones. (I don't mention the Sox because they'll be solidly in first place.....right ?)

Lip
I would say there is a better chance of the yankees being out of it with a week to play, then them having the division rapped up. IMO, the redsox, angels, and a's are all better teams then the yanks so I think it will be hard for them to wrap up the division or wild card.

MRKARNO
05-25-2004, 04:55 PM

Lip

Oakland always seems to be able to pull off trades for role players that can help them to suceed. They dont have the money, but Beane can get the players he needs to make the push for october. Look how good Jose Guillen was doing the first half of last year and Beane was able to get him for the second half run. They got Damon from KC one year IIRC. I think we really do have 4 teams in Oakland, Boston, Anahiem and New York who are going to vie for those 3 playoff spots and all of these teams have the ability to stock up in some capacity down the stretch. It's not all about money, but also about prospects. The Yanks aren't going to be able to get the better players on the block because of their inability to help the future of the trading partner's club, while the same is not true for most of the other playoff contenders.