PDA

View Full Version : Chicago NewsMedia Watch 5/25/04

Hangar18
05-25-2004, 09:23 AM
Though it was nice of the SunTimes yesterday to feature CLEE in another huge picture on the back............But today wouldve been
the real test. Both teams DIDNT play, and somehow, the Cubune wrote more stories. Same with the CubTimes, plus a picture of the BigDumbOx, wood(s)

Bruce Wolf today told fans to Fill the Cell tonite for "chicagos only 1st place team". pretty funny.

On the Scores Cub Morning Zoo with Murph, he had some writer on from SPorting News, and asked his thoughts on BOTH teams.
of course, Murph then kept interjecting (at least 5 times by my count) "and the cubs are doing this with all the injuries"
"the big 2 are out with injuries"
"this teams amazingly near 1st place and injured"
The Writer than said "well, the Twins and Angels also have some significant injuries and are playing well too" In response to Murphs constant plugging of the Injury situation, pretty funny, a BackHand at Murph and he didnt know it.

Cubune:
5 cub stories
1 sox story

CubTimes:
4 cub stories
3 sox stories

Standings since Spring Training..........

CUBS 726
SOX 491

thecell
05-25-2004, 09:25 AM
1 Sox story in the Cubune! Unbelievable...

DaveIsHere
05-25-2004, 09:25 AM
Yeah I caught all that on the Score, and Murph kept cutting Fred off, it amazes me when they are talking Sox on any station someone has to keep interjecting the Flubs....Who cares about that second place team!!!

Cubbiesuck13
05-25-2004, 09:38 AM
i am suprised that the suntimes had as many stories as they did. the tribune is fully justifed in not writing more than they did. i mean what can you write about when a team has the day off. personel changes? no, to boring. danny wright possibly having career ending surgury? not important enough. mags being up for contract? no one cares.

Hangar18
05-25-2004, 09:50 AM
Originally posted by DaveIsHere
Yeah I caught all that on the Score, and Murph kept cutting Fred off, it amazes me when they are talking Sox on any station someone has to keep interjecting the Flubs....Who cares about that second place team!!!

The Sporting News guy seemed to Favor the WHITESOX as the team to talk about, basically saying that the SOX werent expected to be doing this much and are one of the BigSurprises in baseball, but Murph Kept trying to toss the "other" team into
the conversation, to give them credit. SOrry Murph, your team fattened up early on some pretty weak-weasely teams

Frater Perdurabo
05-25-2004, 09:52 AM
Originally posted by Hangar18
SOrry Murph, your team fattened up early on some pretty weak-weasely teams

The Cubs are fattening up on a weak division and a weak NL this year. I can't wait for interleague play; the NL will be exposed as a bastion of really weak teams now that Atlanta is falling apart.

bobj4400
Originally posted by Cubbiesuck13
i am suprised that the suntimes had as many stories as they did. the tribune is fully justifed in not writing more than they did. i mean what can you write about when a team has the day off. personel changes? no, to boring. danny wright possibly having career ending surgury? not important enough. mags being up for contract? no one cares.

BOTH teams had the day off. Is it justified for the Flubs to have 5 stories and the Sox just 1?

Hangar18
Originally posted by Cubbiesuck13
i mean what can you write about when a team has the day off. personel changes? no, to boring. danny wright possibly having career ending surgury? not important enough. mags being up for contract? no one cares.

This is what bugs me. The Media certainly has a choice in the matter. Write a Real Story about Maggs Contract situation (totally under the radar right now) The MEDIA has a chance to
sharpen their journalistic knives and LAMBAST the SOX for not making more of an effort (or call out Maggs for that matter) to
Get this situation Resolved. Jerry Reinsdorf has Gotten Away with Murder so far..........He loves the Other Team Dominate the News, as long as noone is EXPOSING his mistakes.

Can you imagine how many stories would be written if it was The Messiah in this situation? There would be Live Helicopter shots above The Messiahs Downtown Condo ............
or the Media could just write More CubFluff.

kittle42
05-25-2004, 10:11 AM
Murph was unbelievable this morning. I really wonder if he's got his hand down his pants every time he mentions the Cubs.

Cubbiesuck13
05-25-2004, 10:21 AM
Originally posted by bobj4400
BOTH teams had the day off. Is it justified for the Flubs to have 5 stories and the Sox just 1?

i guess i need to sharpen up on my sarcasm to make it more obvious. how is this:

:moron

of course it is justified! lets talk about the SCRUBS! they are the best. i love them. i am seriously in love with them... i want to make love on them.

Hangar18
05-25-2004, 10:29 AM
Originally posted by kittle42
Murph was unbelievable this morning. I really wonder if he's got his hand down his pants every time he mentions the Cubs.

I think he knows his Cubtacular Cornucopia of Cubbie Cubpoganda is coming to an end ..............LETS HOPE GARRY MEIER & ROE CONN get signed !!!!!!!!! At least we'll get even coverage then.

bobj4400
05-25-2004, 10:48 AM
Originally posted by Hangar18
I think he knows his Cubtacular Cornucopia of Cubbie Cubpoganda is coming to an end ..............LETS HOPE GARRY MEIER & ROE CONN get signed !!!!!!!!! At least we'll get even coverage then.

Hangar, you keep referring to Murph's Cubpalooza coming to an end soon. Is this based in fact, or is it wishful thinking? I just dont see the Score getting rid of the Cubbie bandwagon leader in the middle of their championship season...

Lip Man 1
05-25-2004, 10:50 AM
Hangar:

Your post on good ole Uncle Jerry not wanting the heat on him and hoping for more Cub coverage reminded me of this quote from 1983:

“If we don’t start winning soon, the honeymoon will be over. The uproar about the Cubs has diverted attention, but soon they’ll be writing columns about the way we’re struggling.”– Jerry Reinsdorf Chicago Tribune, May 3, 1983. From the book Miracle on 35th Street. By Bob Logan. Pg. 117.

Lip

Hangar18
05-25-2004, 11:04 AM
Originally posted by bobj4400
Hangar, you keep referring to Murph's Cubpalooza coming to an end soon. Is this based in fact, or is it wishful thinking? I just dont see the Score getting rid of the Cubbie bandwagon leader in the middle of their championship season...

On the Contrary, the Score REALLY REALLY (behind the scenes of course) want to get Meier & Conn on board, their shows are Very Highly Rated and Critically Acclaimed apparently. This will have SCR dominate ESPN in the AM. Quick comparison to the 2 shows, and you'll notice theres no real hard sports news going on, just some Over-the-Hill self-described Bleacher fanatic making like a Kid who just discovered a CB radio for the first time. The morning show stands to move from a College-ish Cubpoganda CubFest to a serious well thought out, well-spoken morning show. Good for the Score.

Hangar18
05-25-2004, 11:11 AM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
Hangar:

Your post on good ole Uncle Jerry not wanting the heat on him and hoping for more Cub coverage reminded me of this quote from 1983:

“If we don’t start winning soon, the honeymoon will be over. The uproar about the Cubs has diverted attention, but soon they’ll be writing columns about the way we’re struggling.”– Jerry Reinsdorf Chicago Tribune, May 3, 1983. From the book Miracle on 35th Street. By Bob Logan. Pg. 117.

Lip

Wish SIROTT wouldve busted Uncle Jerry out when he had the gall to say "Chicagos always been a cubs town". Sirott pulling that Quote out wouldve been PRICELESS.

fledgedrallycap
05-25-2004, 11:20 AM
IF Roe and Gary sign with the Score, there is no way they will talk sports any more than they currently do (not often outside of major stories). They have a successful show because of the various topics (pop culture) which attract a wide/diverse audience; more than the typical Male 18-45 decomgraphic WSCR currently attracts.

I doubt the Score has the coin to sign both of them, but who knows...