PDA

View Full Version : Sox merchandise

elrod
05-24-2004, 11:08 PM
I live in Evanston, which is certainly a northerly suburb. But it does have a large number of Sox fans - I play in a softball league and half the guys wearing pro baseball gear are wearing Sox stuff. So why is it that when I go to the local Jewel or Walgreens they have a ton of Cubs items - t-shirts, teddy bears, pennants, etc. and no Sox stuff. I have two young boys and want to buy them some Sox items without having to head down to Grandstand's. Is this because the Sox don't make and market this kind of merchandise? Is it because North side/suburb places won't carry it? (hard to believe considering they sell cheesy Illinois t-shirts with about ten misspellings). Do South side/suburb stores also sell mostly Cubs crap? What's a good place for Sox stuff - cheap things mostly? This kind of thing bothers me more than media bias.

Max Power
05-24-2004, 11:15 PM
I use to live in Evanston, now I work there and live in Rogers Park. I certainly agree with you on all accounts. I would suggest looking at the Sportmart on Dempster in Niles. I've bought a few things there.
On a related note, I was recently at the Sportmart in Highland Park and did not see a single piece of White Sox apparel. Before that store was renovated in the last year or two it had a great collection of Sox stuff.

npdempse
05-24-2004, 11:22 PM
Originally posted by elrod
Do South side/suburb stores also sell mostly Cubs crap? What's a good place for Sox stuff - cheap things mostly? This kind of thing bothers me more than media bias.

In Dominicks/Jewel on the South Side I've definitely seen more Sox stuff. But there's Cubs crap everywhere these days. Was in a bar in LaGrange that I'd have figured would be pretty solidly Sox-oriented. To my shagrin I discovered a Cubs emblem. Painted onto a shield on the wall. Alongside the family crest.

Hangar18
05-25-2004, 10:44 AM
I was shopping in Evanston a little while back recently, and Never
brought it up, for fear of backlash here by certain people (smile)

Walked past the Northwestern University Bookstore. What would you think should be in the front window? NU pennants and Shirts? NU Sweats and Hats? NU binders? NU shorts?
NU toy wildcats? NU Football Jerseys? No
The entire freaking Window had every single imaginable flubby
product you could think of. Pennants, tshirts, 5 kinds of hats, all 3 jerseys, sweats, window clings, etc etc.
I stopped in my tracks, and next to the window, was some MLB merchandise........but no SOX stuff. I asked why no SOX stuff.
"theres more (insert team name here) fans, thats why"

depy48
05-25-2004, 10:47 AM
I was at the Champs Sports in Woodfield, and they had five racks full of cubs jersies including wood, prior, maddux, sosa, and derek lee. And in the enitre store they had two sox jersies. Not two racks, only two jersies. Hopefully that means they were selling the sox stuff better...

Hangar18
05-25-2004, 10:51 AM
IN fact, the ENTIRE front 1/4 of the alleged "northwestern bookstore" was all Other Team merchandise. to hell with selling books at NU I guess, I laughed at the guy that looked like the owner, and told him hes gonna feel like a clown when they dont go anywhere this year ......... heh heh

Hangar18
05-25-2004, 10:55 AM
Originally posted by depy48
I was at the Champs Sports in Woodfield, and they had five racks full of cubs jersies including wood, prior, maddux, sosa, and derek lee. And in the enitre store they had two sox jersies. Not two racks, only two jersies. Hopefully that means they were selling the sox stuff better...

Heres one better. Carsons stores ........Every One of them,
has Entire "(insert other team name here) Shops".
yes folks and tourists, Entire Depts created just to sell
everything _____ related. Not 1 single SOX item to be found.
The bandwagon just keeps getting fuller ........... heh heh

BeerHandle
05-25-2004, 10:59 AM
I live in Evanston, which is certainly a northerly suburb. But it does have a large number of Sox fans - I play in a softball league and half the guys wearing pro baseball gear are wearing Sox stuff. So why is it that when I go to the local Jewel or Walgreens they have a ton of Cubs items - t-shirts, teddy bears, pennants, etc. and no Sox stuff. I have two young boys and want to buy them some Sox items without having to head down to Grandstand's. Is this because the Sox don't make and market this kind of merchandise? Is it because North side/suburb places won't carry it? (hard to believe considering they sell cheesy Illinois t-shirts with about ten misspellings). Do South side/suburb stores also sell mostly Cubs crap? What's a good place for Sox stuff - cheap things mostly? This kind of thing bothers me more than media bias.

http://www.grandstandsox.com

or go to the store when you are at a game.

GrandStand
600 West 35th Street
Chicago IL, 60616
Call Us At 773-927-1984

jabrch
05-25-2004, 11:02 AM
Originally posted by Max Power
I use to live in Evanston, now I work there and live in Rogers Park. I certainly agree with you on all accounts. I would suggest looking at the Sportmart on Dempster in Niles. I've bought a few things there.
On a related note, I was recently at the Sportmart in Highland Park and did not see a single piece of White Sox apparel. Before that store was renovated in the last year or two it had a great collection of Sox stuff.

I was at the Sportmart in Deerbrook Mall (Northbrook) a few weeks ago and they didn't have a single piece of Sox stuff, but had 5 racks of Cubs crap right at the entry way. I asked for the manager and asked him where their Sox stuff was. He said, "We don't carry a lot of that. People don't buy Sox stuff." So I pulled out a wad of money (I had just cashed a check to take $$$ to vegas, so I had a lot in my hands) and I told him that it was too bad - cuz I wanted to buy gifts for a bunch of people. I said maybe some other sporting goods store would be better able to meet my needs. Then I just turned around and walked away.

skottyj242
05-25-2004, 11:19 AM
Last October before game 7 of the NLCS I went looking around my neighborhood (Far South Side) and couldn't find a single Marlins shirt or hat. That's an even bigger travesty. But we did find a nice Cubs flag we burned. (Hanger has the pictures)

Palehose13
05-25-2004, 11:21 AM
Funny thing, one of that Target's on the south side of Milwaukee (Chase Ave) has Sox stuff by their packer stuff. I don't remember any Brwere stuff, but there wasn't any cubs. Funny to me cause Milwaukee is closer to the north side. I wonder if people that order inventory have anything to do with it...maybe the manager of that store is a sox fan or something.

Brian26
05-25-2004, 12:02 PM
Originally posted by npdempse
Was in a bar in LaGrange that I'd have figured would be pretty solidly Sox-oriented. To my shagrin I discovered a Cubs emblem. Painted onto a shield on the wall. Alongside the family crest.

Palmer Place?

ewokpelts
05-25-2004, 02:42 PM
Originally posted by Hangar18
Heres one better. Carsons stores ........Every One of them,
has Entire "(insert other team name here) Shops".
yes folks and tourists, Entire Depts created just to sell
everything _____ related. Not 1 single SOX item to be found.
The bandwagon just keeps getting fuller ........... heh heh

I'll have to disagree with you about carsons, if only the state street store. There's sox/bulls/bears stuff in thier tourist trap dept. And there was quite a bit of ASG stuff last year. But yeah, lots of cub crap. The funniest thing is the "friendly confines" shirt with the 03 ws logo. Oddly enuff, they put them on the rack despite thier nlcs loss.
Gene

ode to veeck
05-25-2004, 02:45 PM
You have to admit, the Scrubs are coming off one of the (for them) greatest chokes of all times last year. Its what makes them more famous and sells lots of Flubbie crap. Let others revel in their infamy ... just not here.

ewokpelts
05-25-2004, 02:58 PM
Originally posted by ode to veeck
You have to admit, the Scrubs are coming off one of the (for them) greatest chokes of all times last year. Its what makes them more famous and sells lots of Flubbie crap. Let others revel in their infamy ... just not here.

What we tand to forget is that the Sox make MONEY off the flubs. For every bit of Flub merch sold, the sox(and the rest of the league) gets a cut. In jerry's eyes, Chicago being a flubs town helps his bottom line. Gene

mdep524
05-25-2004, 05:58 PM
Originally posted by Hangar18
I was shopping in Evanston a little while back recently, and Never
brought it up, for fear of backlash here by certain people (smile)

Walked past the Northwestern University Bookstore. What would you think should be in the front window? NU pennants and Shirts? NU Sweats and Hats? NU binders? NU shorts?
NU toy wildcats? NU Football Jerseys? No
The entire freaking Window had every single imaginable flubby
product you could think of. Pennants, tshirts, 5 kinds of hats, all 3 jerseys, sweats, window clings, etc etc.
I stopped in my tracks, and next to the window, was some MLB merchandise........but no SOX stuff. I asked why no SOX stuff.
"theres more (insert team name here) fans, thats why"

Just noticed this thread... I live in Evanston and go to Northwestern (for 3 more weeks!) and am continually disgusted by the lack of Sox stuff and unbelievable extent of Cubs crap all over the city. A lot of students here from other states don't even know or believe there are peole in Chicago that root for/care about the Sox, no exageration. When I tell them I am from Chicago but am a Sox fan, it doesn't register. I guess it all plays into the frat boy/sorority girl Cubs bandwagon fan/tool thing. But last fall was just about the most irritating thing in the world when the Cubs were in the playoffs and suddenly everybody here thought they were a Cubs fan.

Max Power
05-25-2004, 06:33 PM
Originally posted by jabrch
I was at the Sportmart in Deerbrook Mall (Northbrook) a few weeks ago and they didn't have a single piece of Sox stuff, but had 5 racks of Cubs crap right at the entry way. I asked for the manager and asked him where their Sox stuff was. He said, "We don't carry a lot of that. People don't buy Sox stuff." So I pulled out a wad of money (I had just cashed a check to take $$$ to vegas, so I had a lot in my hands) and I told him that it was too bad - cuz I wanted to buy gifts for a bunch of people. I said maybe some other sporting goods store would be better able to meet my needs. Then I just turned around and walked away.

Yeah, that was the Sportmart I was trying to describe. I goofed on the town. They had tons of Sox stuff there a few years ago. Hope the manager got the message from you. Maybe I'll stop in there in a few weeks and see if he put out a hat or two.
People really assume that the North Shore is strictly Cubs fans, but there's a decent sized underground network of Sox fans.
Also, Northwestern (where I work) has so many bandwagon Cubs fans. It's pathetic. I walk around during lunch and laugh at the shiny new Cubs hats, as I show off my Sox hat.
I bet Hangar could have some amusing conversasions around NU. :smile:

DSpivack
05-25-2004, 06:39 PM
Someone previously mentioned the Sportmart in Niles and they seem to have a decent amount of stuff. I've gotten much of my Sox gear from there over the years.

ewokpelts
05-26-2004, 08:27 AM
Originally posted by DSpivack
Someone previously mentioned the Sportmart in Niles and they seem to have a decent amount of stuff. I've gotten much of my Sox gear from there over the years.

Niles seems to have a lot of transplanted south side irishmen. No wonder that little neck of the northwest side/burbs has a sox stronghold.
Gene

elrod
05-26-2004, 08:48 AM
The NU stores are the worst. Ofischl on Sherman Ave in Evanston is pathetic too. I walked in there a few weeks ago with my son looking for Sox stuff and the guy working there was a huge Sox fan and was just watching the game. Then he said they don't have any good Sox stuff there. He wasn't too happy about it either - he wasn't the manager.

I always wear my Sox hat around. I just can't believe that stores can't find anybody to purchase Sox stuff. It's ridiculous. I can understand there are more Cub fans than Sox fans in Evanston. But it's not 99-1. That's why I have to wonder if it's really the store owners at fault here or if the Sox just aren't merchandising this stuff like they used to when the Sox logo was trendy. And I'm not sure if Sox fandom up here is even "underground". There are lots of Sox fans around. I regularly get approving comments when I wear my Sox hat.

I'll definitely check out Sportmart in Niles.

robertks61
05-26-2004, 12:23 PM
Anytime I'm in Sears, JC Penney, etc. my son & I always cover any Scrub shirts on display with White Sox shirts! Walk away, look and LMAO!!!!

steff
05-26-2004, 12:27 PM
Originally posted by Brian26
Palmer Place?

Nope. We were just there for lunch yesterday.

Brian26
05-26-2004, 12:27 PM
Originally posted by steff
Nope. We were just there for lunch yesterday.

They've got my money there :smile:

steff
05-26-2004, 12:28 PM

A LOT of ours, too.. :gulp: :gulp: :D:

Brian26
05-26-2004, 12:29 PM

Speaking of which, Sportmart downtown on LaSalle & Ontario has my money too. White Sox batting practice jersey ($60). Not a bad deal...

DSpivack
05-26-2004, 12:30 PM
The NU stores are the worst. Ofischl on Sherman Ave in Evanston is pathetic too. I walked in there a few weeks ago with my son looking for Sox stuff and the guy working there was a huge Sox fan and was just watching the game. Then he said they don't have any good Sox stuff there. He wasn't too happy about it either - he wasn't the manager.

I always wear my Sox hat around. I just can't believe that stores can't find anybody to purchase Sox stuff. It's ridiculous. I can understand there are more Cub fans than Sox fans in Evanston. But it's not 99-1. That's why I have to wonder if it's really the store owners at fault here or if the Sox just aren't merchandising this stuff like they used to when the Sox logo was trendy. And I'm not sure if Sox fandom up here is even "underground". There are lots of Sox fans around. I regularly get approving comments when I wear my Sox hat.

I'll definitely check out Sportmart in Niles.

For whatever reason a lot of Orthodox Jews in Skokie are Sox fans. Went to Slice of Life to pick up pizza with a fellow Sox fan a few weeks ago, we were both wearing Sox gear because we planned to go to the game that night (rainout) and the five or ten minutes we were standing there saw a good deal of guys with Sox gear. No Cubs gear seen, either. :)