PDA

View Full Version : As we turn our attention back to the White Sox...

Viva Magglio
09-17-2001, 08:37 AM
...this will be my last new tragedy-related thread here. Now that we are going to re-focus on the White Sox, I think tragedy-related threads should go to the Parking Lot. As I post this thread, I leave you with this column by the Rev. Andrew Greeley. As hard as it may be to take, I think Fr. Greeley is on the right track.

Mindless revenge won't solve anything (http://www.suntimes.com/output/greeley/cst-edt-greel16.html)

Kilroy
09-17-2001, 09:44 AM
Originally posted by ˇViva Mágglio!
...As hard as it may be to take, I think Fr. Greeley is on the right track...

I started to read this, but after a few lines, I knew right where it was going. I stopped, but then decided to read the rest so I could comment.

In short, it's a load of crap. Americans DO NOT want to just go and bomb innocents. "Evening the score" is not the goal.

Speaking for myself, but stating what I think everyone agrees with, we want those responsible to be made to pay for what they have done. And do it with no regard to phrases like "cruel and unusual punishment".

If that's a faction of fanatics or a country and it's govenment supporting them, they should be made to pay. I say "made to pay" and not "held responsible" because I want the message sent to the next goof that's thinking of attacking our country and it's citizens that it is a very bad idea. There must be consequences, and those consequences must give pause.

We want the countries that these people live in to find them and turn them over. If they have them but refuse, then they must assume responsibility for their actions and accept punishment alongside them.

The Pearl Harbor analogy is frivolous and dangerous. There is no militaristic enemy bent on conquering half the world.

That may be, but this is worse than what the Japanese did so long ago, if you ask me. While brutal on the surface, there was still a certain amount of decency and fair play in that they attacked military targets. These bastards hide among us and then attack w/out regard to who they are hurting. Then they never say who they are or what purpose they have for what they have done.

Revenge?? HELL YES! But only against those who have commited this heinous act.

WinningUgly!
09-17-2001, 11:13 AM
I don't think there is a right answer. Either way we go we're going to end up being wrong. If we sit on our hands & do nothing, we would be sending all terrorists a message that it's ok to attack us on our own soil. If we retaliate with attacks on Afganistan, we'd be creating martyrs & fueling the terrorism fire. The worst case scenario is probably if we get bin Haden alive. Imagine the hijackings & hostages that would be taken if the guy ends up in American custody!

No-Neck
09-17-2001, 11:32 AM
The Reverend Greeley has been out of main stream thought for about 30 years, a cut out of the old Viet Nam protesters. His columns over the years reek not only of anti-American sentiments but also anti-Vatican sentiments. And so do his three books.

He is a part of the "Blame-America first and only" crowd.

A word to the wise is sufficient; Know the background of the authors before you agree/disagree with their viewpoint.

Now, back to baseball,....

ma-gaga
09-17-2001, 11:54 AM
Moreover, who are ''they'' with whom we must get even--30, 40, even a hundred fanatics? We must apprehend and punish criminals. Then what? Will we nuke Kabul or Baghdad? Will we blow Afghanistan from the 10th century back into the first? Will mass murder satisfy American blood lust? Do we want to become indistinguishable from our enemies? It would appear that many of us do.
egh. this sounds like the crap i was spouting last week... :)

Viva Magglio
09-17-2001, 12:29 PM
The key to approach this situation is to distinguish between justice versus vengeance. Should we go after Osama bin Laden and those responsible? Yes. Should we pressure the Taliban? Yes. Should we go after terrorism? Yes.

We should go all out in hunting the people responsible for these acts down, prosecute them, and disable their terrorist machine. It seems to me that one of the best ways to disable their terrorist machine is to curtail their sources of funding. That may be more effective than bombs. That is the approach of justice.

The wrong way to go about this is through vengeance, and it does not go hand-in-hand with justice. The "eye for an eye" approach is not the right one to take here. 5,000 innocent civilians perished in the World Trade Center, but that does not mean we have to impose a de facto death sentence upon 5,000 or more innocent civilians in Afghanistan who had nothing to do with these attacks. In doing that, we are only raising the death toll higher while possibly not making a dent in the terrorist machine.

Strategic air strikes on Osama bin Laden's terrorist camp may be appropriate, but simply bombing Afghanistan into oblivion is not the answer.