PDA

View Full Version : The Quarter Way Ozzie Poll

chisox06
05-24-2004, 07:35 PM
Well the 1/4 mark is here. the sox stand tied in first place. Considering the amount of flak the signing of ozzie got from many diehard sox fans, I thought it would be interesting to know how the masses feel about him after he's got a quarter season under his belt.

As for me, positives include: his ability to play small ball, his passion, his positive relationship with the players, and overall confidence in his players (Garland and Wee Willie responding the most to that). Also, Ozzie really knows this game and I think for the most part, he has managed games very well.

Some negatives, Still a little to much tinkering for my taste (benching Uribe for 2 games against the Twins ***??). And of course his continued confidence in Billy Koch, now this might be a little contradicting to what I wrote above but sometimes you gotta cut your losses. I still have no confidence in him closing games, but we shall see. The Sox still need to work on fundamentals as well, like getting bunts down, they still struggle with that, and thats frustrating to watch.

batmanZoSo
05-24-2004, 08:21 PM
Originally posted by chisox06
Well the 1/4 mark is here. the sox stand tied in first place. Considering the amount of flak the signing of ozzie got from many diehard sox fans, I thought it would be interesting to know how the masses feel about him after he's got a quarter season under his belt.

As for me, positives include: his ability to play small ball, his passion, his positive relationship with the players, and overall confidence in his players (Garland and Wee Willie responding the most to that). Also, Ozzie really knows this game and I think for the most part, he has managed games very well.

Some negatives, Still a little to much tinkering for my taste (benching Uribe for 2 games against the Twins ***??). And of course his continued confidence in Billy Koch, now this might be a little contradicting to what I wrote above but sometimes you gotta cut your losses. I still have no confidence in him closing games, but we shall see. The Sox still need to work on fundamentals as well, like getting bunts down, they still struggle with that, and thats frustrating to watch.

With the attitude change he's brought to the clubhouse alone he's done a good job. Guys are looser and more confident now, hitting when it counts...that didn't happen under Manuel. He's a great players manager, sticks up for his guys, is a friend with them but has their respect.

He's gotta get better at x's and o's though. Mostly with lineup changes and pinch hitting. And he'll get better when he becomes more accustomed to his team. Before this year, he didn't really know a lot of these guys.

Frater Perdurabo
05-24-2004, 08:24 PM
The fact that the Sox are tied for first is all I need to know to vote "excellent" for Ozzie's job so far. :smile:

Sure he tinkers a bit too much, but so far we can't argue with the results, especially considering that he is a rookie manager.

TornLabrum
05-24-2004, 10:10 PM
Originally posted by Frater Perdurabo
The fact that the Sox are tied for first is all I need to know to vote "excellent" for Ozzie's job so far. :smile:

Sure he tinkers a bit too much, but so far we can't argue with the results, especially considering that he is a rookie manager.

If it hadn't been for some really dumb moves, especially benching Uribe for two days last week, he would have gotten an "Excellent for me. Instead I downgraded him to good.

lowesox
05-24-2004, 11:22 PM
I feel like he's backed off the base stealing a bit since spring training - which disapoints me. Harris, who's batting over .300, should have more steals then he does.

Otherwise, I think he's been perfect.