PDA

View Full Version : Article by Deluca in Suntimes

habibharu
05-24-2004, 01:21 PM
although this article is about the scrubs, i think that it could apply to us also. it talks about how Ichiro might be availible and that he would make a perfect leadoff hitter. i believe that we could get him to put in center and bat him first. we could then put harris two and bat uribe 6 and then trade jose for a SP(Garcia?).

habibharu
05-24-2004, 01:21 PM
heres the link
http://www.suntimes.com/output/deluca/cst-spt-deluca24.htm

joecrede
05-24-2004, 01:28 PM
Ichiro a superstar? Not quite ...

Randar68
05-24-2004, 01:28 PM
Originally posted by joecrede
Ichiro a superstar? Not quite ...

The way he's playing this year, he would probably hit #2 behind Harris or even farther down in the order to break up all the righties...

CHISOXFAN13
05-24-2004, 01:34 PM
Originally posted by habibharu
although this article is about the scrubs, i think that it could apply to us also. it talks about how Ichiro might be availible and that he would make a perfect leadoff hitter. i believe that we could get him to put in center and bat him first. we could then put harris two and bat uribe 6 and then trade jose for a SP(Garcia?).

Why do people have this belief that Seattle would trade Garcia for Valentin?

poorme
05-24-2004, 01:37 PM
Originally posted by CHISOXFAN13
Why do people have this belief that Seattle would trade Garcia for Valentin?

Perhaps dipsomania.

gosox41
05-24-2004, 01:42 PM

One thing I'm sure of is that if/when Seattle decides to have af ire sale there are going to be a lot of teams interested in a lot of their players. Add to this the fact that Gillick is a very competent GM and isn't going to give away good players for nothing and you're asking for a steep price in terms of prospects for guys like Garcia and Ichiro.

I don't see the Sox getting Garcia. Seattle isn't going to move him until they create a nice bidding way, one the Yankees and Cubs are sure to be involved in. Though the Yankees don't have the farm system of the Cubs, they have a very good GM who will find a third team to get involved as a trading partner.

Is it worth it for the Sox to give up Reed and Diaz for Garcia??? He might fetch that much and maybe even another lower level prospect or 2.

Bob

Jerry_Manuel
05-24-2004, 02:12 PM
Originally posted by gosox41
Add to this the fact that Gillick is a very competent GM and isn't going to give away good players for nothing and you're asking for a steep price in terms of prospects for guys like Garcia and Ichiro.

Gillick isn't their GM anymore, Bill Bavasi is.

Hondo
05-24-2004, 02:15 PM

Has Ichiro played center field in the majors?
His production has gone down every year so far so that's a bit disconcerting.
I heard Murph and Fred saying that the Cubs were looking at Aurillia maybe.
I don't see the Mariners giving up Garcia for Valentin. Prospects maybe but not Valentin. Even if they do get rid of Aurillia.

gosox41
05-24-2004, 02:32 PM
Originally posted by Jerry_Manuel
Gillick isn't their GM anymore, Bill Bavasi is.

My bad. He is still a good GM and not as desperate as Pittsburgh.

Bob

JRIG
05-24-2004, 03:20 PM
Two things:

1. Bavasi has shown himself to be, IMO, a pretty horrible GM in his short times at the top of the M's

2. I read the DeLuca piece. Why would the Cubs need a leadoff hitter? Todd Walker's OBP is about .400 last I checked and he's slugging better than Suzuki too. Suzuki would be a downgrade. And where would he play? He's never played center before. I don't see any reason why the Cubs would want to aquire him.

Randar68
05-24-2004, 03:21 PM
Originally posted by JRIG
Two things:

1. Bavasi has shown himself to be, IMO, a pretty horrible GM in his short times at the top of the M's

2. I read the DeLuca piece. Why would the Cubs need a leadoff hitter? Todd Walker's OBP is about .400 last I checked and he's slugging better than Suzuki too. Suzuki would be a downgrade. And where would he play? He's never played center before. I don't see any reason why the Cubs would want to aquire him.

Didn't Ichiro play CF in Japan? Just asking, I can't recall...