PDA

View Full Version : Do any players live in Chicago year-round

32nd&Wallace
05-24-2004, 11:47 AM
I was thinking the other day is that baseball is the only sport where the players do not make a year round home of the city they play in.
I don't know of anyone on the Sox roster that lives here year-round or really are known for being a fixture of the community like Fisk is/was in Lockpart (and know, by being community fixture do I mean starting fights with the parents of other kids). In the Media Guide, Frank is listed as making his home in Chicago, but I think he spends the off-season in Vegas.
The last Sox player I really remember making a home here was Fisk. Although I think Sandy spends some considerable time here in the off-season. Anybody else know of towns in the Chicago suburbs where Sox players have homes and are out and about in the community?

Palehose13
05-24-2004, 12:03 PM
In the early/mid 90's Frank and Bo Jackson lived in the south suburbs (Burr Ridge, I think).

Ozzie in his playing days lived down the block form my aunt in Berwyn.

At Soxfest, Walker was seeking real estate in the area (not sure if for year round...)

Ron Kittle lives in Chesterton, IN (on HWY 6) Dunno if you consider that asuburb, but it's pretty close...

nasox
05-24-2004, 12:36 PM
Originally posted by Palehose13
In the early/mid 90's Frank and Bo Jackson lived in the south suburbs (Burr Ridge, I think).

At Soxfest, Walker was seeking real estate in the area (not sure if for year round...)

Ron Kittle lives in Chesterton, IN (on HWY 6) Dunno if you consider that asuburb, but it's pretty close...

I tihnk Frank used to live in a $11 million house in Orland Park or Oak Park (the latter I think). He sold it after his divorce.

steff
05-24-2004, 12:40 PM
Originally posted by nasox
I tihnk Frank used to live in a $11 million house in Orland Park or Oak Park (the latter I think). He sold it after his divorce.

Burr Ridge/Willow Springs area actually.

Bo still lives here year round - SW Burbs.

I don't think any of them currently live here "year round", but several have permanent residences and are here on and off during the offseason.

Palehose13
05-24-2004, 12:41 PM

My mom worked where he (and Bo) banked in the mid-90's and had a Burr Ridge addy for him. She liked him, but said his wife was a large "female dog".

Jerko
05-24-2004, 12:43 PM
I think Konerko bought one of those new houses they are building/havebuilt on Racine. I don't know exactly where; between 34th-39th street maybe? Don't quote me on that location.

steff
05-24-2004, 12:47 PM
Originally posted by Jerko
I think Konerko bought one of those new houses they are building/havebuilt on Racine. I don't know exactly where; between 34th-39th street maybe? Don't quote me on that location.

Building permits were denied and it was costing a lot more than planned from what I heard. According to public tax records the property was sold in February.

Kadafi311
05-24-2004, 12:49 PM
Originally posted by steff
Burr Ridge/Willow Springs area actually.

Bo still lives here year round - SW Burbs.

I don't think any of them currently live here "year round", but several have permanent residences and are here on and off during the offseason.

I saw a special on ESPN a few weeks ago about Bo, they said he made his home down south, Louisiana I think it was. He was fishing while discussing gumbo receipes with his interviewer.

steff
05-24-2004, 12:52 PM
Originally posted by Kadafi311
I saw a special on ESPN a few weeks ago about Bo, they said he made his home down south, Louisiana I think it was. He was fishing while discussing gumbo receipes with his interviewer.

I'm sure he has homes in many places. But we've seen him on a pretty regular basis out in the Joliet area. And he ownes several properties in the area as well. He's a regular attender of the village town meetings.

Palehose13
05-24-2004, 12:54 PM

I'm sure he has a few houses. He had (still may have) a Harley shop in the SW burbs. He is also at US cellular quite often, I believe as a "volunteer coach", so I would imagine that he spends some time in the Chicago area.

Palehose13
05-24-2004, 12:55 PM
I'm sure he has homes in many places. But we've seen him on a pretty regular basis out in the Joliet area. And he ownes several properties in the area as well. He's a regular attender of the village town meetings.

LOL...we are posting similar info at about the same time!

steff
05-24-2004, 12:58 PM
LOL...we are posting similar info at about the same time!

JINX!!!

BTW.. he's never at the Harley shop anymore so I think he might have gotten out of that. He did open a resturant out that way though. He seems pretty involved in his business ventures.

He likes to gamble, too. Harrahs fan.. :D:

Jerko
05-24-2004, 12:59 PM
Building permits were denied and it was costing a lot more than planned from what I heard. According to public tax records the property was sold in February.

Oops. My bad.

Kilroy
05-24-2004, 12:59 PM

That 11 million dollar house is in OakBrook. Drive by it all the time.

ode to veeck
05-24-2004, 01:00 PM
If I remember correctly, I think Bo had a Ribs/BBQ joint in Austin, TX last time I was there

Palehose13
05-24-2004, 01:03 PM
JINX!!!

LOL! Pinch, poke, you owe me a coke... ;)

BTW.. he's never at the Harley shop anymore so I think he might have gotten out of that. He did open a resturant out that way though. He seems pretty involved in his business ventures.

He likes to gamble, too. Harrahs fan.. :D:

See what happens when you are out of the city for almost 7 years...I gotta get back on top of things!

beckett21
05-24-2004, 01:14 PM
My father taught in Burr Ridge for 34 years, and IIRC Bo's kids were students at his school at one time. He did live in Burr Ridge, still may as far as I know.

And as someone else said, Frank's home was in Oak Brook.

IlliniSox
05-24-2004, 01:48 PM
Originally posted by Jerko

My buddies and I talked to Konerko in Boston last year, about a month or so after that report came out. He said he was never moving to Bridgeport and he had no idea where the Sun Times got their information.

Palehose13
05-24-2004, 01:53 PM
Originally posted by IlliniSox
My buddies and I talked to Konerko in Boston last year, about a month or so after that report came out. He said he was never moving to Bridgeport and he had no idea where the Sun Times got their information.

Could that be a smokescreen? I mean, I don't know if I would let a few fans that I don't know where I live...there are some psychos out there! :o:

Irishsox1
05-24-2004, 02:09 PM
I remember something in the paper about Maggs bought a place in Burr Ridge, Carlos Lee bought a place somewhere and that Sandy Alomar was selling his place up in Lake County because of his divorce. However, the only place I've ever seen is Franks monster castle that was sold not to long ago. To even look at the place if you wanted to buy it, you needed to submit 3 years of tax returns to verify your income.

mattyo
05-24-2004, 02:18 PM
Carlos Lee has a house in Burr Ridge. As for vehicles he just bought a nice 911 Porsche twin turbo for $155,000 at Joe Rizza's in Orland Park.

LongLiveFisk
05-24-2004, 02:33 PM
Originally posted by Kilroy
That 11 million dollar house is in OakBrook. Drive by it all the time.

I've driven past but I can never see it. It must be way in the distance or something. And a country club surrounds it, so I can't seem to locate it for anything.

I only work a short distance away.

hoddyhoddysox
05-24-2004, 02:45 PM
I live down the street from Frank's old house. An old friend's father bought it. It's a little over the top if you ask me!

IlliniSox
05-24-2004, 03:16 PM
Could that be a smokescreen? I mean, I don't know if I would let a few fans that I don't know where I live...there are some psychos out there! :o:

Then is Bridgeport is the absolute place you would want to live. A Sox player could move to the Gold Coast and live a life in compelte anonymity. What Bridgeporter wouldn't make it his business to find out what house was Paulie's. That's why I never believed any Sox player would live there in the future.

owensmouth
05-24-2004, 03:28 PM
I remember reading that Bo Jackson had been on jury duty earlier this year in Dupage County. That tells me that he still lives in the area, probably Burr Ridge.

Randar68
05-24-2004, 03:31 PM
Originally posted by owensmouth
I remember reading that Bo Jackson had been on jury duty earlier this year in Dupage County. That tells me that he still lives in the area, probably Burr Ridge.

Yep, he's registered to vote in the area at the least...

Randar68
05-24-2004, 03:32 PM
Originally posted by hoddyhoddysox
I live down the street from Frank's old house. An old friend's father bought it. It's a little over the top if you ask me!

DAMN! When't the party? :D:

steff
05-24-2004, 03:35 PM

He might have not been moving there.. but he bought property there and his name was on applied for building permits as the owner of the property.

steff
05-24-2004, 03:37 PM
Originally posted by hoddyhoddysox

No way... You don't like the disco room?? The black and white checker board italian tiles..? The carpeted walls? The batting cages and tennis court a bit too over the top.. :D:

Seriously.. the place is nuts. The pool itself is about as big as the lake in back of our property.

Palehose13
05-24-2004, 03:40 PM
Then is Bridgeport is the absolute place you would want to live. A Sox player could move to the Gold Coast and live a life in compelte anonymity. What Bridgeporter wouldn't make it his business to find out what house was Paulie's. That's why I never believed any Sox player would live there in the future.

Well, I agree...but why Ozzie lived down the street from my aunt in a Bungalow in Berwyn was beyond me too...

My dad's house in Indiana is really close to Oprah's old house (If she sold it yet) in LaPorte Co. People in the area got pretty used to seeing her around, but dealing with star struck people is one of the prices of celebrity.

I guess if you really hated traffic Bridgeport would be the place to be. ;)

32nd&Wallace
05-24-2004, 03:57 PM
Does anyone know where Kenny is located at these days...I know he used to be out in Planfield but has that changed since the incident with his kids..The media guide lists his home as Chicago...Also, is Ozzie planning on settling here year round...the media guide says Venezula..but I doubt that...Also, last time I checked Maggs lived in the Buckingham..its a 40 story building next to the Blue Cross Blue Shields building on Randolph

South Side
05-24-2004, 04:11 PM
I read in the Real Estate section of the Trib that Maggs sold his condo... I know he lives in Burr Ridge now though.

steff
05-24-2004, 04:16 PM
Originally posted by 32nd&Wallace
Does anyone know where Kenny is located at these days...I know he used to be out in Planfield but has that changed since the incident with his kids..The media guide lists his home as Chicago...Also, is Ozzie planning on settling here year round...the media guide says Venezula..but I doubt that...Also, last time I checked Maggs lived in the Buckingham..its a 40 story building next to the Blue Cross Blue Shields building on Randolph

Kenny is still down the street from me.

Maggs owns a house in Burr Ridge.. whether he lives there or not I have no idea.

Hondo
05-24-2004, 04:18 PM

Maggs owns a house in Burr Ridge.. whether he lives there or not I have no idea.

Hey steff,

Does he borrow sugar and tupperware from you?
:D:

steff
05-24-2004, 04:19 PM
Originally posted by Hondo
Hey steff,

Does he borrow sugar and tupperware from you?

No.. but he jogs on the sidewalk when he sees my car coming.. :D:

Palehose13
05-24-2004, 04:22 PM

LOL...I can't blame him! :D:

Hondo
05-24-2004, 04:23 PM

I just think it'd be hilarious if he was some ultra domesticated type who comes over with an apron on to have you try his quiche.

Maybe if we had green seats and more bars near the park more players would live here all year.

steff
05-24-2004, 04:23 PM
LOL...I can't blame him! :D:

What.. little ole innocent me..? It's not like I attacked him at Sox Fest or anything.. :o:

HomeFish
05-24-2004, 04:35 PM
Damaso Marte has an address on north Wabash; you can find it just by entering his name into any Internet White Page search.

I don't know what kind of residence it is or if he even lives there, though.

whitesoxwilkes
05-24-2004, 05:49 PM
Sandy Alomar has a townhouse in River West that he spends at least some time during the winter living in. I drive right past it on my way to and from softball every Monday.

SoxxoS
05-24-2004, 05:54 PM

Bo Jackson's son goes to Montini catholic with my sister in Lombard.

32nd&Wallace
05-24-2004, 06:00 PM
Is it true abotu Fisk and some of his antics in Lockport (i.e., charging a neighbor for an autograph, getting into a fight with his the parent of his son's teammate)

rdivaldi
05-24-2004, 06:06 PM
I remember reading in the Trib that Garland bought a home in the South Loop this offseason...

whitesoxwilkes
05-24-2004, 06:36 PM
Originally posted by rdivaldi
I remember reading in the Trib that Garland bought a home in the South Loop this offseason...

Makes sense, he's lived there a couple years and we used to frequent the same Starbucks until I moved last month.

roofshot87
05-24-2004, 07:36 PM
Frank currently spends his summers right on Wrightwood park on the northside I believe the exact street is Bosworth off of Altgeld. It is an understated modern house on the end of a cul-du-sac

South Side
05-24-2004, 08:01 PM

Yes, he lives there.

irish rover
05-24-2004, 08:42 PM
i think though, Franks perm address is either Las Vegas or Cali

Lip Man 1
05-24-2004, 09:37 PM
I can tell you for a fact that Billy Pierce lives in Lemont, Eric Soderholm in Hinsdale, Donn Pall in Bloomingdale and Carlos May in Park Forest.

Lip

Scwible
05-24-2004, 09:39 PM
Frank, Robin Ventura and Ozzie used to all live in Burr Ridge. Down the street from me in a gated community. I used to actually go to school with Ozzie's son(extremely nice person back then) before they moved to Florida. Carlos Lee owns a house, or in this case i think, a town house because i swear I've seen him outside of it before. Also I think Maggs has to have something near Carlos because I seen Maggs in his Mercedes round there a bunch.

StillMissOzzie
05-25-2004, 12:57 AM

In the same direction or opposite direction as you're driving?

SMO

steff
05-25-2004, 05:13 AM
Originally posted by 32nd&Wallace
Is it true abotu Fisk and some of his antics in Lockport (i.e., charging a neighbor for an autograph, getting into a fight with his the parent of his son's teammate)

I highly doubt it.

hose
05-25-2004, 07:31 AM

Fred Hubner on the Score just mentioned Ozzie lived in Berwyn at one time.

Looks like Fred visits WSI.

Palehose13
05-25-2004, 08:02 AM
Originally posted by hose
Fred Hubner on the Score just mentioned Ozzie lived in Berwyn at one time.

Looks like Fred visits WSI.

LOL...how about that?

Is it true abotu Fisk...getting into a fight with his the parent of his son's teammate)
This actually is true. This kid that it happened to was the cousin of a grade school friend. I think it was tough on my friend cause she loved the Sox and didn't like Fisk after that(but loved him before), but I met her cousin and family...I couldn't blame Fisk.

Brian26
05-25-2004, 12:08 PM
This actually is true. This kid that it happened to was the cousin of a grade school friend. I think it was tough on my friend cause she loved the Sox and didn't like Fisk after that(but loved him before), but I met her cousin and family...I couldn't blame Fisk.

It's a true story, but it doesn't make Fisk a bad guy. The other kid and the kid's parent were way out of line. It's got to be tough being a "celebrity" and having to deal with people mistreating your children because of who their parent happens to be. Casey's always had a tough go of it because of his dad, but he turned out ok.

steff
05-25-2004, 12:15 PM
Originally posted by Brian26
It's a true story, but it doesn't make Fisk a bad guy. The other kid and the kid's parent were way out of line. It's got to be tough being a "celebrity" and having to deal with people mistreating your children because of who their parent happens to be. Casey's always had a tough go of it because of his dad, but he turned out ok.

I never knew about this. But I can't imagine Fisk didn't do all he could to be nice to them. His kids all turned out great, IMO. Very respectful even when getting crap for who their dad is (which I could never understand).

Brian26
05-25-2004, 12:28 PM
I never knew about this. But I can't imagine Fisk didn't do all he could to be nice to them. His kids all turned out great, IMO. Very respectful even when getting crap for who their dad is (which I could never understand).

To be honest, I had forgotten about it. It happened way back when...probably late 80's. I think it centered around an incident in a high school basketball game at Lockport. I don't want to go into details...but, like I said, I think Casey and Carlton were targets more often than they deserved to be.

steff
05-25-2004, 12:30 PM
I think Casey and Carlton were targets more often than they deserved to be.

I agree with this completely. Another family that gets a lot fo crap is the Coomer's. They live out that way also and Ron and his family are hassled all the time. It's pretty sick.

Palehose13
05-25-2004, 12:32 PM
To be honest, I had forgotten about it. It happened way back when...probably late 80's. I think it centered around an incident in a high school basketball game at Lockport. I don't want to go into details...but, like I said, I think Casey and Carlton were targets more often than they deserved to be.

Yeah, it was in the late 80's cause I moved in 88 and it was before that. Like I said before, I couldn't blame Fisk fo rhte incident...I didn't care for the people involved in the altercation with him.