PDA

View Full Version : Why all the Gallas bashing?

32nd&Wallace
05-24-2004, 11:33 AM
I don't get why people are out to get Rob Gallas. Especially on this website. I think he did a great job in his tenure with the Sox. As a college student, I love the half-price Mondays and Tuesdays. Dog days, kids run the bases...it only increased attendance and certainly didn't draw people away, if anything he showed the remarkable difference in why a family should come to Comiskey rather than Wrigley.....so why all the disdain?

Randar68
05-24-2004, 11:36 AM
Originally posted by 32nd&Wallace
I don't get why people are out to get Rob Gallas. Especially on this website. I think he did a great job in his tenure with the Sox. As a college student, I love the half-price Mondays and Tuesdays. Dog days, kids run the bases...it only increased attendance and certainly didn't draw people away, if anything he showed the remarkable difference in why a family should come to Comiskey rather than Wrigley.....so why all the disdain?

The disdain is more related to the terrible manner in which he marketed the product to the public. IN-game entertainment and game-day and ticket-sale promotions have been some of the best in baseball, IMO.

Aside from that, Sox fans just like to bitch...

gosox41
05-24-2004, 01:37 PM

Gallas had one job..to bring people to the ballpark. He didn't do it all that well. Add to the fact that he pissed off a lot of fans after the 1994 strike (I forgot what he said, but I remember thinking it was stupid at the time) and allegedly steaks his marketing ideas from a 12 year old and this is what you get.

Bob

Clarkdog
05-24-2004, 02:02 PM

The problem with Gallas was that he was a tactical thinker. His successes were one-off promotions like Elvis Night, Dog Days, etc. Promotional tactics need to ladder up as part of a bigger marketing strategy, and that is where the black hole of the Sox marketing was and still is.

The advertising you are seeing today is a another tactical message - Ozzie is our manager, everything has changed. The Sox have yet to establish a position for themselves in the marketplace other than "The other baseball team in Chicago" which actually the media has positioned for them. Unfortunately they can't change the message right now, but in 2005 we'll see what kind of marketer Brooks Boyer is. If you see an integrated approach to how the Sox message, promote, and eventize themselves that ladder up to a brand position - the club will be headed in the right direction from a marketing standpoint.

jackbrohamer
05-24-2004, 02:35 PM
He marketing strategies (e.g., "Kids can Play") and ballpark events (e.g., Joe Steven or whatever that guy's name was who stood on the dugout & exhorted fans to make noise) were ineffective, annoying and frequently insulted the intelligence of Sox fans.

Which I think are good reasons to bash the guy.

nasox
05-24-2004, 06:21 PM
Originally posted by jackbrohamer
He marketing strategies (e.g., "Kids can Play") and ballpark events (e.g., Joe Steven or whatever that guy's name was who stood on the dugout & exhorted fans to make noise) were ineffective, annoying and frequently insulted the intelligence of Sox fans.

Which I think are good reasons to bash the guy.

Especially since sox fans always pass up a chance to hate someone......

jackbrohamer
05-24-2004, 06:51 PM
Just saying someone sucks doesn't mean I hate him.

Unless it's someone like this guy.....

:jaime

Lip Man 1
05-24-2004, 09:48 PM
Rob Gallas, in the words of an associate who used to have a high ranking position in the Sox, in not a 'people person.'

He came across as arrogant, vain and confrontational.

In any other organization that would be some serious handicaps for a PR director but under Jerry Reinsdorf's group it was considered 'must have' skills.

Lip

ewokpelts
05-25-2004, 03:07 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
Rob Gallas, in the words of an associate who used to have a high ranking position in the Sox, in not a 'people person.'

He came across as arrogant, vain and confrontational.

In any other organization that would be some serious handicaps for a PR director but under Jerry Reinsdorf's group it was considered 'must have' skills.

Lip
LOL!

I dont like gallas cuz he could have done SO MUCH MORE. And he dropped the ball faster and you could say "dog day".
Gene