PDA

View Full Version : Maggs contract info!


joeynach
05-24-2004, 10:07 AM
As explained to me and a thread i started on the whitesox.com message board the current offer to Maggs is 6 years and 68 million. Check it out.

http://www.forums.mlb.com/n/mb/message.asp?webtag=ml-whitesox&msg=28236.1&ctx=0

soxtalker
05-24-2004, 10:23 AM
The details of the offer -- which we probably will not and should not know -- are important. How much is deferred? Is any money (included in or in addition to the $68MM) dependent on hitting certain production numbers? What options are included?

SSN721
05-24-2004, 10:33 AM
I guess I have to say how credible is this source other then just someone who posts on a message board, is there any other confirmation of this offer? Because if it is the true offer I think it is very reasonable, especially the 6 years. Even though the yearly might be a little less it is a hell of a lot of job security for him. And I would be pretty happy having him between 11-12 mil a year, I definitely think he is worth that. If this is the offer I hope he takes it or maybe just slightly more.

doublem23
05-24-2004, 10:47 AM
Damn, that would be a pretty good deal.

depy48
05-24-2004, 10:50 AM
its just good to hear that there are offers to maggs, and the sox are trying to sign him long term.

joeynach
05-24-2004, 11:24 AM
Originally posted by SSN721
I guess I have to say how credible is this source other then just someone who posts on a message board, is there any other confirmation of this offer? Because if it is the true offer I think it is very reasonable, especially the 6 years. Even though the yearly might be a little less it is a hell of a lot of job security for him. And I would be pretty happy having him between 11-12 mil a year, I definitely think he is worth that. If this is the offer I hope he takes it or maybe just slightly more.

The man who gave info i have met before. He is an older guy probably about 55 who is a minority shareholder, he is also a JR lover. He's ok, he is kind of old fashoned and spends most of his time on following the sox and on the board becuase he has been retired for 10 years now, he sold his business and made millions. You tell me how credible you think this source is, i will probably try and get on the air with this info later, ESPN 1000, maybe Mac Jurko and Harry.

SSN721
05-24-2004, 11:31 AM
Originally posted by joeynach
The man who gave info i have met before. He is an older guy probably about 55 who is a minority shareholder, he is also a JR lover. He's ok, he is kind of old fashoned and spends most of his time on following the sox and on the board becuase he has been retired for 10 years now, he sold his business and made millions. You tell me how credible you think this source is, i will probably try and get on the air with this info later, ESPN 1000, maybe Mac Jurko and Harry.

I didnt mean it as an insult to him, I was only questioning the credibility before I knew who it was. Now that you informed me of who it is I beleive that what he said is true and it is a credible off, thank you for informing us, hope to hear about on MJ and H on my way home. :D:

iwannago
05-24-2004, 01:28 PM
Originally posted by soxtalker
The details of the offer -- which we probably will not and should not know -- are important. How much is deferred? Is any money (included in or in addition to the $68MM) dependent on hitting certain production numbers? What options are included?

I agree with you. Salaries should be kept private. I really don't think the fans should have this knowledge or how much a team makes or losses except if its a public corporation.

habibharu
05-24-2004, 01:30 PM
wow a six year deal. you gotta believe that maggs would like that. and its for some pretty good money too. but i dont think that JR would let KW sign him to a six year deal

joeynach
05-24-2004, 02:39 PM
Originally posted by iwannago
I agree with you. Salaries should be kept private. I really don't think the fans should have this knowledge or how much a team makes or losses except if its a public corporation.

I also agree with the rights guaranteed to us in our constitution, freedom of speech, and freedom of press.

owensmouth
05-24-2004, 03:41 PM
If that's what the White Sox are willing to offer then here's what I suggest: next time you're at the Cell, wave goodbye to Magglio/ Baltimore will offer him considerably more.

Maggs wants 14.5 million per year. He will get close to it. 68 million for six years is a 3 million per year cut in his salary.

HomeFish
05-24-2004, 04:42 PM
Baltimore would suck. I'd prefer the Yankees got him.

What's their situation with Bernie Williams? How much longer are they going to put up with him? If they can dump him in the offseason, trade Bubba Crosby for pitching, move Sheffield to DH, and sign Magglio and Beltran, they're going to have an awesome team next year.

Kadafi311
05-24-2004, 05:06 PM
Originally posted by HomeFish
Baltimore would suck. I'd prefer the Yankees got him.

What's their situation with Bernie Williams? How much longer are they going to put up with him? If they can dump him in the offseason, trade Bubba Crosby for pitching, move Sheffield to DH, and sign Magglio and Beltran, they're going to have an awesome team next year.

Sorry HomeFish, but that is the worst... post... ever.

pjthesox13
05-24-2004, 05:11 PM
Originally posted by Kadafi311
Sorry HomeFish, but that is the worst... post... ever.

No kidding. I thought I had magically moved to the Yankee's message board of all a sudden.

Homefish may I ask why that would be good?

Was that post supposed to be in teal ?

MRKARNO
05-24-2004, 05:16 PM
Originally posted by pjthesox13
No kidding. I thought I had magically moved to the Yankee's message board of all a sudden.

Homefish may I ask why that would be good?

Was that post supposed to be in teal ?

No. HomeFish roots for bad things to happen and when they dont happen he just makes an analogy to something bad that did happen or predicts that more bad will happen.

HomeFish
05-24-2004, 05:18 PM
Originally posted by pjthesox13
No kidding. I thought I had magically moved to the Yankee's message board of all a sudden.

Homefish may I ask why that would be good?

Was that post supposed to be in teal ?

If the White Sox do not resign Magglio, which, by the looks of it, is going to be the case, I can at least hope for what I consider the second-best thing to happen, yes?

SEALgep
05-24-2004, 05:21 PM
Originally posted by HomeFish
If the White Sox do not resign Magglio, which, by the looks of it, is going to be the case, I can at least hope for what I consider the second-best thing to happen, yes? It's too early to say it doesn't look like we're going to sign him. You have no idea what is being discussed with the White Sox and Magg's.

pjthesox13
05-24-2004, 05:22 PM
Originally posted by HomeFish
If the White Sox do not resign Magglio, which, by the looks of it, is going to be the case, I can at least hope for what I consider the second-best thing to happen, yes?

IMO, I don't know if that would be the 2nd best thing to happen to him because I absolutely depise the Yankees but I wouldn't be surprised if they made a run for him. Especially if Boston shows any interest in him.

Kadafi311
05-24-2004, 05:25 PM
Originally posted by HomeFish
If the White Sox do not resign Magglio, which, by the looks of it, is going to be the case, I can at least hope for what I consider the second-best thing to happen, yes?

If rooting on the Yankees continual effort to ruin the competitive nature of our game is your idea of the "second-best thing to happen"... then yes, go right ahead.

joeynach
05-24-2004, 06:20 PM
Originally posted by owensmouth
If that's what the White Sox are willing to offer then here's what I suggest: next time you're at the Cell, wave goodbye to Magglio/ Baltimore will offer him considerably more.

Maggs wants 14.5 million per year. He will get close to it. 68 million for six years is a 3 million per year cut in his salary.

68 mil / 6 years is the offer. Thats why they call it contract negotiations, how often does the player sign at the 1st offer, never. Its a good starting point, im sure they can meet somewhere based on that if they keep negotiating.

StillMissOzzie
05-25-2004, 01:06 AM
Originally posted by joeynach
68 mil / 6 years is the offer. Thats why they call it contract negotiations, how often does the player sign at the 1st offer, never. Its a good starting point, im sure they can meet somewhere based on that if they keep negotiating.

But my understanding is that this is NOT the 1st offer. I thought that I read that they had already offered 4 yrs/$48M, which brought up the "I want 5 years" response.

SMO
:gulp:

batmanZoSo
05-25-2004, 01:26 AM
The poster who made that statement is ncorgbl...I've known him as a poster for a long time and he's probably right. He does seem to have inside info on the sox. I would imagine that is the deal, but that's almost a 3 million dollar paycut from this year. Maggs can't complain about the term, but he might not care for 11 mill. Which is actually right where he's at...it would be great if he'd take that.

OEO Magglio
05-25-2004, 01:30 AM
Originally posted by batmanZoSo
The poster who made that statement is ncorgbl...I've known him as a poster for a long time and he's probably right. He does seem to have inside info on the sox. I would imagine that is the deal, but that's almost a 3 million dollar paycut from this year. Maggs can't complain about the term, but he might not care for 11 mill. Which is actually right where he's at...it would be great if he'd take that.
Well said 11-12 mill is probably around what maggs should be paid. Having him 6 years for 68 million would be awesome.

StockdaleForVeep
05-25-2004, 01:36 AM
Originally posted by batmanZoSo
The poster who made that statement is ncorgbl...I've known him as a poster for a long time and he's probably right. He does seem to have inside info on the sox. I would imagine that is the deal, but that's almost a 3 million dollar paycut from this year. Maggs can't complain about the term, but he might not care for 11 mill. Which is actually right where he's at...it would be great if he'd take that.


He prob heard from his "good pal" frank thomas as he claims he's all close with him. Im waiting for him to prove this.....perhaps he will get a media shot of Frank with someone random, then will bluedot the head of the other and claim its him.

One thing to question with a contract like this is, are there incentives? Contracts today are low in cash origionally but are loaded with all sorts of bonuses.

OEO Magglio
05-25-2004, 01:38 AM
Originally posted by StockdaleForVeep
One thing to question with a contract like this is, are there incentives? Contracts today are low in cash origionally but are loaded with all sorts of bonuses.
Good question, I'm sure we'd find out if Maggs signed the contract, so Maggs sign the contract. :smile:

StockdaleForVeep
05-25-2004, 01:51 AM
Originally posted by OEO Magglio
Good question, I'm sure we'd find out if Maggs signed the contract, so Maggs sign the contract. :smile:

Since this is a reinsdorf business, we cant assume these incentives are good for magglio. Didnt colon or someone else on the sox want a contract laiden with incentives and ended up leavin the sox cuz they couldnt agree?

Either that or was ruutu on the hawks....im still in limbo on why he thinks hes joe thornton and felt as a rookie he deserved that much money...god its been a long season...

Railsplitter
05-25-2004, 08:09 AM
Originally posted by joeynach
I also agree with the rights guaranteed to us in our constitution, freedom of speech, and freedom of press.

The Contitution limits the power of the Government, not of individuals.

Maximo
05-25-2004, 08:31 AM
Originally posted by joeynach
The man who gave info i have met before. He is an older guy probably about 55 who is a minority shareholder, he is also a JR lover. He's ok, he is kind of old fashoned and spends most of his time on following the sox and on the board becuase he has been retired for 10 years now, he sold his business and made millions. You tell me how credible you think this source is, i will probably try and get on the air with this info later, ESPN 1000, maybe Mac Jurko and Harry.


That reference...."he is an older guy probably about 55".....stung a little.

Sometimes I have a hard time putting up with "you kids."

Cubbiesuck13
05-25-2004, 08:56 AM
Originally posted by HomeFish
If they can dump him in the offseason, trade Bubba Crosby for pitching, move Sheffield to DH, and sign Magglio and Beltran, they're going to have an awesome team next year.



they will have an awsome team next year no matter what. i hope it is without any help from the sox

joeynach
05-25-2004, 09:31 AM
Originally posted by Maximo
That reference...."he is an older guy probably about 55".....stung a little.

Sometimes I have a hard time putting up with "you kids."

Hey i was just giving you crerdit for some quality info you shared with us "kids". Mr. NCOR im osrry but most if the internet and these baords are run by those kids. No offense was intedned i was just saying that to show you are not just some random punk but a guy that has been around in the org. longer. And thus having more credibilty than a young guy like us. See ya on the White Sox board.

Peace

Comiskey4Ever

Railsplitter
05-25-2004, 09:41 AM
Excuse me, but wasn't about a month or so ago that we were hearing Maggs and the Sox had agreed on the monetary amount, but not the length of the contract? If that was some reporter talking, that's one thing, but if it was from the Sox offices that's another.