PDA

View Full Version : Why so picky-Kinda a long rant

bennyw41
05-24-2004, 10:05 AM
My question for a lot of you guys is why do you feel it necessary to complain about every little change that Brooks Boyer is making at home? The truth is that people have not been showing up to the park, whether or not you want to believe this, wake up. More importantly, when someone who is hired specifically to get people to go to the game makes some minute changes, you flip out. The most common complaints I have seen so far...

1. How dare Brooks introduce players individually?
2. How dare he bring the bucket boys?
3. Fireworks after national anthem
4. He's turning the game into a bulls game.

WHY ARE YOU SO DIFFICULT??? You can't take 10 minutes of the bucket boys so that people who don't normally come to the games and then produce more money for a more competitive team? The fact is, the Bulls who have been far less competitive the last 5 years have outdrawn the Sox, so maybe we should shut up and learn to live with these minuscule changes.

I am so sick of the so-called"purists" talking about who and how the shower gets sponsored. Don't you see that all of this doesn't have anything to do with the team. If you are a fan of the White Sox, you wouldn't care how the players were introduced, but how they produced. I am glad Brooks made some changes, most of us will go to the game for the Sox, but if it takes the bucket boys to get some other randoms in the park, more power to them.

BeerHandle
05-24-2004, 10:08 AM
Originally posted by bennyw41
My question for a lot of you guys is why do you feel it necessary to complain about every little change that Brooks Boyer is making at home? The truth is that people have not been showing up to the park, whether or not you want to believe this, wake up. More importantly, when someone who is hired specifically to get people to go to the game makes some minute changes, you flip out. The most common complaints I have seen so far...

WHY ARE YOU SO DIFFICULT??? You can't take 10 minutes of the bucket boys so that people who don't normally come to the games and then produce more money for a more competitive team? The fact is, the Bulls who have been far less competitive the last 5 years have outdrawn the Sox, so maybe we should shut up and learn to live with these minuscule changes.

I am so sick of the so-called"purists" talking about who and how the shower gets sponsored. Don't you see that all of this doesn't have anything to do with the team. If you are a fan of the White Sox, you wouldn't care how the players were introduced, but how they produced. I am glad Brooks made some changes, most of us will go to the game for the Sox, but if it takes the bucket boys to get some other randoms in the park, more power to them.

I agree. I like the fact he is mixing things up. We will see more to come and I welcome them!

Cubbiesuck13
05-24-2004, 10:14 AM
what are bucket boys?

i don't mind the changes since i don't go to the games. i liked when they introduce the team as a whole tho, re-enforces the 'team' spirit. i liked the intro-the video on the screen. it is not something that gets me too spun about tho.

bennyw41
05-24-2004, 10:16 AM
The Bucket Boys are a bunch of Kids playing drums on 5 gallon paint drums. They play at bulls games, and Always get a rousing reception. They are just a little entertainment for the fans.

Randar68
05-24-2004, 10:24 AM

Benny the Bull? You smoking some of that dope you were dealing? :D:

But seriously. The biggest complaint with the players announcement was:

1) This isn't an individual game like basketball as become
2) 9 players, not 5
3) You can't dim the lights and have a laser light show at 2:00 in the afternoon
4) The Sox are their own team, don't plagiarize promo's and ideas verbatim from the Bulls.
5) It takes too long
6) The fans almost unanimously have enjoyed and cheered during the history-based team music/intro.
7) The players are individually announced 3-5 times per game when then come to the plate

I haven't seen too many thread about the other comments you made, other than the here-and-there complaints. Marketing and off-the-field areas are the major areas of complaint for almost all avid Sox fans. Worrying about the in-game facets and routines is not what most perceive to be the weakness of the former regime. Maybe Nancy should play more, but most have been happy with the in-game entertainment.

Stop worrying so much about the fans that do attend (they already have a good product) and worry more about the ones who don't. Build a fan base, because the one that exists is very easy to maintain in comparison.

bennyw41
05-24-2004, 10:34 AM
No offense, but I am confused about your statement. You pretty much made the same points as I did. Although, this is wrong....

1. Benny was not caught dealing drugs. Do your research. Don't tarnish a Chicago icon.

2. What difference do you think the players take from being introduced individually? Do you think that they feel more important, and then only do things good for them, and not the team? I mean come on, if it'll bring someone to the game because they like over the top introductions, why do you care?

Randar68
05-24-2004, 10:45 AM
No offense, but I am confused about your statement. You pretty much made the same points as I did. Although, this is wrong....

1. Benny was not caught dealing drugs. Do your research. Don't tarnish a Chicago icon.

2. What difference do you think the players take from being introduced individually? Do you think that they feel more important, and then only do things good for them, and not the team? I mean come on, if it'll bring someone to the game because they like over the top introductions, why do you care?

It's a team game, not a one-on-one dunk-fest with no defense.

I don't look forward to baseball being marketed that way if that's what Brooks is trying to do. NBA is crap.

Randar68
05-24-2004, 10:47 AM

BTW, my comments were directed squarely at you and Brooks/Management.

Your comments were directed at fans who complain about aspects of the changes he's made.

There is a fundamental difference there, so no, we don't make the same points... not even close.

bennyw41
05-24-2004, 10:56 AM
Originally posted by Randar68
It's a team game, not a one-on-one dunk-fest with no defense.

I don't look forward to baseball being marketed that way if that's what Brooks is trying to do. NBA is crap.

You mean baseball hasn't become a one-on-one home run fest, with watered down pitching?

As much as I would like to believe that baseball is such a pure and lovely sport, don't you think its time to realize what really is going on, and cater to that?

What I don't get is your reference to a regime, and such.

doublem23
05-24-2004, 11:02 AM
While I agree the individual player intros is a bit much, it's nice to see the Bucket Boys getting some recognition from the team. They're awesome.

Randar68
05-24-2004, 11:07 AM
You mean baseball hasn't become a one-on-one home run fest, with watered down pitching?

Yeah, that describes the Marlins perfectly...

Sorry, but no. HR being popular with fans? Obviously to casual fans. However, it is still a team game. Hitting behind runners, bunting, sacrificing, pitching, turning the DP, the pitcher covering first...

Besides, for the Sox, winning is what draws fans. This team won't win a thing waiting for the 3-run HR. Ozzie knows it, most knowledgeable fans recognize it, KW realizes it. This team will win or lose depending on how well they play as a team, not based on how many HR's they hit.

Sorry, but if you're going to compare baseball to basketball, you'll have to do better than that. Again, the NBA is crap.

If you're worried about HR's and NBA-type individualism, Sosa and Zambrano reside 9 miles north.

bennyw41
05-24-2004, 12:05 PM
Originally posted by Randar68 If you're worried about HR's and NBA-type individualism, Sosa and Zambrano reside 9 miles north. [/B]

Lets not say things we can't take back. Calling me a cubs fan, even by association is an insult.

To your point, I know what baseball is, but the problem with the sox is that they don't get casual fans. I don't like casual fans, I don't agree with it, but its the only way we can fill the stadium right now. I'm just being pragmatic. Can we all just get along?

IlliniSox
05-24-2004, 12:12 PM
I thought individual player intros died when the Patriot's ran out on the Super Bowl as a team. That was one of the coolest things I've ever see, and its been the standard since then.

steff
05-24-2004, 12:20 PM

Not caught dealing.. but he was possessing.

:rolleyes

http://abclocal.go.com/wls/news/012004_ns_dabull.html

"January 20, 2004 The man behind the Chicago Bulls beloved mascot "Da Bull" has been charged with possession-- a misdemeanor-- after police found $1,000 worth of marijuana in his car.

Authorities originally sought to charge Chester Brewer, 31, with a felony after reportedly finding plastic baggies and a small scale inside his Cabrini Green apartment. The Cook County State's Attorney's Office apparently decided that the pot was not for sale."

poorme
05-24-2004, 12:23 PM
Benny is not "da bull."

steff
05-24-2004, 12:27 PM
Originally posted by poorme
Benny is not "da bull."

Which one is he..? The wolf looking thing?

thepaulbowski
05-24-2004, 12:29 PM
Originally posted by steff
Which one is he..? The wolf looking thing?

Yep the furry thing that ran around the UC. Suppose to look like a bull, I guess. :?:

steff
05-24-2004, 12:34 PM
Originally posted by thepaulbowski
Yep the furry thing that ran around the UC. Suppose to look like a bull, I guess. :?:

30 lashes with a wet noodle for me then.. :o:

Jerko
05-24-2004, 12:35 PM
I think there is "Benny THE Bull", and "Da Bull". I don't frequent Bulls games but that's what I've heard.

starboy0
05-24-2004, 12:36 PM
[i]...But seriously. The biggest complaint with the players announcement was:

1) This isn't an individual game like basketball as become
2) 9 players, not 5
3) You can't dim the lights and have a laser light show at 2:00 in the afternoon
4) The Sox are their own team, don't plagiarize promo's and ideas verbatim from the Bulls.
5) It takes too long
6) The fans almost unanimously have enjoyed and cheered during the history-based team music/intro.
7) The players are individually announced 3-5 times per game when then come to the plate... [/B]

I agree with all of the above. Introducing them individually seems to me like it's show-boating. It's good for opening day and playoffs but it's over the top for regular games.

pudge
05-24-2004, 12:58 PM

Benny, I think the larger question is, why would anyone suddenly decide to go to a Sox game just because the players are introduced individually? It's just dumb, dumb, dumb and frankly it shows a very shallow and uncreative thought process behind Mr. Boyer's first attempts. He's just copying a lot of NBA ideas. MLB is not the NBA (thank god).

I'm willing to give him a chance to grow into the job, and I personally don't mind the bucket boys, or doing other things to spice up the atmosphere. But lengthy, boring individual player intros are just flat-out brutal.