PDA

View Full Version : Chicago NewsMedia Watch 5/24/04

Hangar18
05-24-2004, 09:39 AM
Uncle Fester today got coverage on FOX news, Celebrating WXRT's blatant admission that they are truly fans of the evil regime, and dont care to appear objective. (has any station in Chicago ever blatantly hired an anchor/reporter to EXCLUSIVELY cover the Sox like this?) WXRT's Lin Brehmer in the 6 oclock hour, Giddily announced to listeners "coming up, traffic and weather then the News, and at 8oclock.......BILLY CORGAN wtih the CUbs Report". At least they arent trying to LIE and appear Objective (Memo to myself. Boycott that station)

The SOX lose more
coverage BIGTIME today, though the SOX were on the road. We will track this Come Tuesday and Wednesday when the SOX are Home and the Evil Corporate machine is on the road, we should see 6-3 & 7-3 in stories, because as Mark Schanowski and the rest of the CHicago Media Imply, they dont have enough newscrews to send on the road (Lansing is "only 3 hrs away? what BS) but we'll have to wait and see.

Cubune:
5 cub stories
3 sox stories
Cub-Times:
7 cub stories
3 sox stories

Standings since SPring Training ................
CUBS 717
SOX 487

Frater Perdurabo
05-24-2004, 09:48 AM
Originally posted by Hangar18
We will track this Come Tuesday and Wednesday when the SOX are Home and the Evil Corporate machine is on the road, we should see 6-3 & 7-3 in stories, because as Mark Schanowski and the rest of the CHicago Media Imply, they dont have enough newscrews to send on the road (Lansing is "only 3 hrs away? what BS) but we'll have to wait and see.

I'm tempted to give Schanowski the benefit of the doubt on this one, but now that his words are public, we need to hold him accountable. I'd like to see someone keep track of the local TV news sports segments this week while the Sox are in town and the Cubs are out of town. All things are equal as both teams are in first place. So, with the Sox at home and the Cubs on the road, the Sox should get more coverage.

I'd volunteer, but I'm 1000 miles away. Hangar needs reinforcements on this to watch and track the sports coverage on the local TV news.

Who's got Channel 2?
Channel 5?
Channel 7?
Channel 9?
Channel 32?

This can definitively demonstrate the extent to which the media is biased (or unbiased as they like to claim. It's put up or shut up time. Let's hold their feet to the fire. :angry:

Hangar18
05-24-2004, 09:58 AM
THe only good that can come of this, is that it "stops the bleeding" so to speak, & the NEGATIVE perceptions put out by the Cubune locally and nationally. Its still up to the SOX to ATTEMPT to put out a Good Product, and stop pretending theyre the only team in an obviously 2 team market. (Coca-Cola executives are still privately hoping Jerry Reinsdorfs Group makes an effort to purchase controlling interest in rival PEPSI, and subsequently uses same decision-making processes)

Frater Perdurabo
05-24-2004, 10:03 AM
THe only good that can come of this, is that it "stops the bleeding" so to speak, & the NEGATIVE perceptions put out by the Cubune locally and nationally. Its still up to the SOX to ATTEMPT to put out a Good Product, and stop pretending theyre the only team in an obviously 2 team market. (Coca-Cola executives are still privately hoping Jerry Reinsdorfs Group makes an effort to purchase controlling interest in rival PEPSI, and subsequently uses same decision-making processes)

Completely agreed. It's just that as fans -- and consumers -- we have more influence over the media coverage than we have over Uncle Jerry. Nevertheless we should continue to push the media to be fairer and push the Sox to open the purse strings to fill the holes on this team to make a deep playoff run.

Hokiesox
05-24-2004, 10:52 AM
I heard the smashing pumpkin's Zero on the radio for the first time in 4 or 5 years. I liked it when I was 15 or 16, or whatever, and it sounded OK to begin with. But all I kept thinking was, "that $%^&$%#$%%#@ Cubs fan" and I turned it off.

32nd&Wallace
05-24-2004, 11:39 AM
Once again Hangar, I'm awed by your detail. Now, I don't know if I'm the first to bring it up and if I am, I apologize, but were there any local reporters in MN this weekend....WHen the Cubs played the Cards you had Brad Palmer and the like at Busch stadium, but nobody up in MN? I mean, the Cubs weren't even playing for first place then..
Even more strange is that Minnesota is not that further away from Chicago than STL is from Chicago that you could afford a reporter up there...Or why is local money being budgeted to see Prior in Lansing....

steff
05-24-2004, 12:11 PM
Lord this is getting embarrassing...

Can Henry's whining maybe get it's own forum..?

pssondacubs
05-24-2004, 12:23 PM
Keep up the good fight, Hangar. Why do people read these threads and then complain. Does their computer automatically go to this anti-scrub thread?? NO??? Then move right past it and let those of us who are interested in the media's bias have our discussion. This is very important to many of us and I appreciate the work. So keep it up. And those who don't like it,,, move on.

steff
05-24-2004, 12:26 PM
Originally posted by pssondacubs
Keep up the good fight, Hangar. Why do people read these threads and then complain. Does their computer automatically go to this anti-scrub thread?? NO??? Then move right past it and let those of us who are interested in the media's bias have our discussion. This is very important to many of us and I appreciate the work. So keep it up. And those who don't like it,,, move on.

And I wonder why there are those that have to complain about others complaining...

Don't like it.. move on. Great advice.

jabrch
05-24-2004, 12:31 PM
Originally posted by steff
And I wonder why there are those that have to complain about others complaining...

Don't like it.. move on. Great advice.

I just don't believe people complain about those who are complaining about other's complaints.

Norton - I know that you know, that I know that you know...

steff
05-24-2004, 12:33 PM
Originally posted by jabrch
I just don't believe people complain about those who are complaining about other's complaints.

Norton - I know that you know, that I know that you know...

ROTFLMAO!!! :D:

kittle42
05-24-2004, 02:16 PM
I will make my usual response to Henry's threads which is simply thank you, Henry. You continue to enlighten us.

C-Dawg
05-24-2004, 04:53 PM
WXRT's Lin Brehmer in the 6 oclock hour, Giddily announced to listeners "coming up, traffic and weather then the News, and at 8oclock.......BILLY CORGAN wtih the CUbs Report"

Did you get a chance to hear his report? Here's the points he raised:

1. Not as many Cardinal fans here this year; they're too cheap to buy tickets (No, the bandwagon Cub fans bought them all in February you moron!)

2. The crowd at Wrigley has moved upscale and everyone drives a BMW (Good one, Billy, you finally noticed)

3. He remembers the old days of getting bleacher tickets on the day of the game, and he remembers Jose Cardenal (Yeah sure he does, he must've been about 5 when Cardenal was on the Cubs. Heck when I got his autograph in '79 he was a Phillie already)

4. Only John Cusack rivals Billy Corgan in # of times singing during the stretch (Hey, its a baseball game, not the hollywood walk of fame! Isn't it time to end the guest-singing thing?)

Max Power
05-24-2004, 06:08 PM
Wow, he did a nice report about the team. Wait, none of the points has anything to do with anything on the field. I'm embarrassed for the media these days.

iwannago
05-24-2004, 06:27 PM
I never paid attention to media bias before, but I happened to catch Instant Replat at 10:40 on WGN. With the Sox having such a great game, Roan fast forwarded thru the Sox highlights and gave them about 30 seconds. Regarding the Cubs they had more highlights of a 4 to 3 game plus a story on two of their pitchers.

You guys are absolutely right about the media bias.

Hangar18
05-24-2004, 07:07 PM
Originally posted by C-Dawg
Did you get a chance to hear his report? Here's the points he raised:

1. Not as many Cardinal fans here this year; they're too cheap to buy tickets (No, the bandwagon Cub fans bought them all in February you moron!)

2. The crowd at Wrigley has moved upscale and everyone drives a BMW (Good one, Billy, you finally noticed)

3. He remembers the old days of getting bleacher tickets on the day of the game, and he remembers Jose Cardenal (Yeah sure he does, he must've been about 5 when Cardenal was on the Cubs. Heck when I got his autograph in '79 he was a Phillie already)

4. Only John Cusack rivals Billy Corgan in # of times singing during the stretch (Hey, its a baseball game, not the hollywood walk of fame! Isn't it time to end the guest-singing thing?)

He said all of this? Man ............... and this is considered "news" heh heh. That guys a joke. So is Joe Mantegna, the "actor". Hes the guy from chicago who had the idea for the bleacher bums play way back in the1970's, when noone gave a damn about the cubs. It wasnt that great a play to begin with, had its moments and it quietly Faded Away. But combining Bandwagoning with Self-Promotion (read: 7th inning "guest conductors") He suddenly wants to bring the play "back". the north side team is only TOO HAPPY to continue letting people self-promote their product. Becoming quite the joke, and I dont say that because I hate the way theyve bastardized the way players are acquired, The 7th inning, and the way B level actors and washed-up former musicians show up on a regular basis, hat-in-hand and hands-outstretched looking for a way to promote themselves as "true-fans", all the while buying Scalped Tickets from the very team itself.