PDA

View Full Version : Brooks Boyer's response to my Email on "Big Announcement"

BeerHandle
05-24-2004, 09:29 AM
I sent Brooks an email over the weekend about the big annoucement. I received an email from Brooks first thing this morning.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Brooks' emial to me........

Bryan,

Thanks for the note and for your support of the White Sox. I have enjoyed going to White Sox interactive, as well as receiving e-mails via whitesox.com, our official site, to find out what the fans are thinking and saying. Some good, some bad, some fair and some unfair. I am happy that there is a passionate fan base and, with the momentum this team has going, along with our marketing efforts, it will ultimately bring more fans to the park.

An announcement is coming soon and you have to remember that I am on the marketing side, not the baseball side (read: hint). I would not hint at something on TV unless there was something coming.

Thanks for looking out for me. It is appreciated. How about us putting two TDs and field goal on the Twins yesterday?

All the best,

Brooks
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My email to Brooks.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Brooks:

Good afternoon! Im a split season ticket holder and a devoted White Sox fan. I saw a story on WGN (instant replay) around the time you were hired. During the segment, WGN mentioned that you said a big announcement was coming. One of the White Sox Fan Sites (www.whitesoxinteractive.com) has been buzzing about the big announcement.

If there is not a big announcement, I would suggest resolving the issue before it turns into a PR nightmare.

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=33060

Go Sox!

Bryan

Randar68
05-24-2004, 09:37 AM
Originally posted by BeerHandle
How about us putting two TDs and field goal on the Twins yesterday?

Continues to appear to be a stand-up guy. Love the above quote...

Anyone get a response about the bad new way they announce the players individually? There was a lot of criticism on here, so did anyone hear back?

BeerHandle
05-24-2004, 09:39 AM
Originally posted by Randar68
Anyone get a response about the bad new way they announce the players individually? There was a lot of criticism on here, so did anyone hear back?

We will find out tomorrow when the players take the field.

Rocky Soprano
05-24-2004, 09:43 AM
What's his e-mail address? I want to send him a quick note.

Cubbiesuck13
05-24-2004, 09:45 AM
if he looks at this site, maybe we should start a thread just to him for sugestions and such.

bennyw41
05-24-2004, 09:46 AM
Who cares how they introduce the players?

Jerry_Manuel
05-24-2004, 09:59 AM
An announcement is coming soon and you have to remember that I am on the marketing side, not the baseball side (read: hint).

Magglio signing a new deal could be an option.

BeerHandle
05-24-2004, 10:03 AM
Originally posted by Jerry_Manuel

I think it is some news on Phase 5. ISFA told me that a few parts of the overall Phase 5 plan have been finalized and approved. Maybe the Green Seats.

Jerry_Manuel
05-24-2004, 10:23 AM
I think it is some news on Phase 5. ISFA told me that a few parts of the overall Phase 5 plan have been finalized and approved. Maybe the Green Seats.

Possible as well, that doesn't strike me as a big announcement though.

We shall see.

daveeym
05-24-2004, 10:25 AM

Well I'd think it would be Maggs signing or a trade by his (HINT) comment. I don't know if renovation announcements would be considered the Baseball side.

Randar68
05-24-2004, 10:26 AM
Originally posted by daveeym
Well I'd think it would be Maggs signing or a trade by his (HINT) comment. I don't know if renovation announcements would be considered the Baseball side.

I would think it would be Maggs/E-lo/Trade, especially after his little "hint"

jabrch
05-24-2004, 10:30 AM

I doubt it would be a trade - more likely a re-signing.

Palehose13
05-24-2004, 10:30 AM

I read the "hint" as the announcement coming from the marketing side. :?:

samram
05-24-2004, 10:31 AM

I can't tell which side it's coming from. His hint could be its from marketing because he wouldn't know about the baseball side, or it could be it's baseball and he doesn't know exactly when it's coming, but it is coming at some point.

Jerry_Manuel
05-24-2004, 10:36 AM
Originally posted by samram
I can't tell which side it's coming from. His hint could be its from marketing because he wouldn't know about the baseball side, or it could be it's baseball and he doesn't know exactly when it's coming, but it is coming at some point.

Right.

If it was a major marketing annoucement like green seats or whatever, he would know since he's in charge of that.

If it's baseball, he doesn't know when it will come, but seems confident that something will happen soon.

BeerHandle
05-24-2004, 10:36 AM
Originally posted by Palehose13
You are correct. I have included my response and then his response back to me.
My response:

Brooks:

Thanks for the response. I hear what you are saying!

Sox fans are some of the most passionate. I am intrigued by the possibilities of an announcement. Hopefully it will be another starter! We have great momentum after taking 3 of 4 from the Twinkies (I enjoyed the ESPN segment comparing yesterdays game to the Bears-Vikes on Dec. 14). Im expecting big crowds this week. Im hoping for good weather on Friday. I put together a patio party for 88!

Keep up the good work!

Bryan
Brooks reponse:

Remember, I am on the business side, not the baseball side.

I will put your wishes in with the weather gods.

Go Sox!

Brooks

BeerHandle
05-24-2004, 10:41 AM
Originally posted by Rocky Soprano
What's his e-mail address? I want to send him a quick note.

Since I could not find his email address on the Sox site, I prefer not to give out his work email. You can always send him an email at the email address he has made available.

From another Thread of mine......
Brooks Boyer, the White Sox new vice president of marketing, is looking for your ideas! What would you like to see during your next trip to U.S. Cellular Field? Let us know! E-mail whitesoxbaseball@whitesox.mlb.com with your suggestions.
E-mail whitesoxbaseball@whitesox.mlb.com here>> http://lists.mlb.com/u/429766/9449549

Jjav829
05-24-2004, 10:42 AM
Originally posted by Palehose13

That's how I read it as well, and Brooks' response seems to confirm that. He wouldn't be hinting at an announcement from the baseball side of things as he isn't as involved as say KW is. To hint at a trade announcement would be pointless because trades can fall apart easily.

I would guess that the announcement will be green seats. Nice to know that Brooks reads the site though. Maybe he'd be interested in doing a chat... :smile:

BeerHandle
05-24-2004, 10:46 AM
Originally posted by Jjav829
Maybe he'd be interested in doing a chat... :smile:

I sent in the a suggestion that he does a chat session on the fan sites and the White Sox official site.

steff
05-24-2004, 12:14 PM
Originally posted by Jerry_Manuel

I don't think so...

And I hate to say it, but everyone should just get used to the fact that "he gone".

jabrch
05-24-2004, 12:18 PM
Originally posted by steff
I don't think so...

And I hate to say it, but everyone should just get used to the fact that "he gone".

You sure? I'd miss Magglio a lot - don't get me wrong. But if he turns down a 4 year 48mm deal, a 6 year 68mm deal, or any other deal it is reported he has been offered, it was clear he wanted to go elsewhere and wasn't looking to stay. If that end up the case, then I will miss Ordonez, but be looking forward to being a big player on the FA market with 14mm freed up from Mags, 6 from Koch and 5 from Valentin. With the IF/C locked in for around 12mm, Carlos at 6.5 and Reed ready at the minimum, we should be able to pay good money for a CF (Beltran anyone?) and still have money left over to re-sign Loaiza and acquire a front of the rotation starter.

socksgirl79
05-24-2004, 12:19 PM
They still havent brought out the new Sox mascot. I bet thats what the "big announcement" is

steff
05-24-2004, 12:21 PM
Originally posted by jabrch
You sure?

Unfortunately.... pretty.

jabrch
05-24-2004, 12:24 PM

yuck

SpringfldFan
05-24-2004, 01:04 PM
As we wait (and wait, and wait...) for the news, I propose we give the announcement an official name. How about calling it:

"The Blow Your Socks Off Announcement"

Obviously in honor of last years imminent trade announcement that never was.

Rocky Soprano
05-24-2004, 01:12 PM

:whiner: :whiner: :whiner: :whiner: :whiner:

Nothing personal, but I hope you are wrong just this once.

gosox41
05-24-2004, 01:20 PM
Continues to appear to be a stand-up guy. Love the above quote...

I like the new intro. It's good to see Gene Honda get excited and bring the fans into it.

The old was was getting kind of stale, IMHO.

Bob

gosox41
05-24-2004, 01:23 PM

I must be misinterpreting his 'Hint' quote. I'm taking the 'Hint' to mean he know's something is coming on his sdie, the marketing side. He probably doesn't know for sure about the baseball side.

Also, what's his incentive to come out and make a 'big announcement' on the baseball side so far in advance. What if he was referrnig to Magglio signing a contract but the talks fell apart?

I don't think Brooks would talk about something that he has little control over and is probably referring to something on the marketing, probably the last phase of renovations.

Bob

Randar68
05-24-2004, 01:28 PM
Originally posted by gosox41
I must be misinterpreting his 'Hint' quote. I'm taking the 'Hint' to mean he know's something is coming on his sdie, the marketing side. He probably doesn't know for sure about the baseball side.

Also, what's his incentive to come out and make a 'big announcement' on the baseball side so far in advance. What if he was referrnig to Magglio signing a contract but the talks fell apart?

I don't think Brooks would talk about something that he has little control over and is probably referring to something on the marketing, probably the last phase of renovations.

Bob

Re-reading it, I think you're probably right! Don't know how I misinterpreted that originally...

South Side
05-24-2004, 04:18 PM
Unfortunately.... pretty. \

I'm sorry, but I am pretty confused. I know I have asked once before but do you work for the Sox?

steff
05-24-2004, 04:20 PM
Originally posted by Rocky Soprano
:whiner: :whiner: :whiner: :whiner: :whiner:

Nothing personal, but I hope you are wrong just this once.

I hope so too. I haven't had a chance to get it "from the horses mouth".. but others who should/would know have said it. :(:

steff
05-24-2004, 04:21 PM
Originally posted by South Side
\

I'm sorry, but I am pretty confused. I know I have asked once before but do you work for the Sox?

Sorry SS... I don't recall seeing you ask before. Fortunately I don't work for the Sox.. if I did I likely wouldn't post here.

DSpivack
05-24-2004, 04:44 PM
Originally posted by gosox41

Bob

This guy seems to have a head on his shoulders. He wouldn't make an announcement before the decision is final; Michael McCaskey, thank the good lord, does not work for the White Sox.

Brian26
05-24-2004, 04:54 PM
I hope so too. I haven't had a chance to get it "from the horses mouth".. but others who should/would know have said it. :(:

You're not including HSC in that group, are you? :D:

Wasn't this time last year that KDub was supposed to resign?

steff
05-24-2004, 05:01 PM
Originally posted by Brian26
You're not including HSC in that group, are you? :D:

Wasn't this time last year that KDub was supposed to resign?

I am not aware that HSC knows Maggs well enough to engage in a conversation about him re-signing.. :D:

As for the Kenny stuff.. that was not her fault. I heard the same thing from a completely different person. And FWIW those rumors are still going around.

South Side
05-24-2004, 08:08 PM
Sorry SS... I don't recall seeing you ask before. Fortunately I don't work for the Sox.. if I did I likely wouldn't post here.

May I be nosy and ask how you have the scoop on these things?

gogosoxgogo
05-24-2004, 10:32 PM
I'm betting the announcement is regarding the homerun porch.

soxwon
05-24-2004, 11:07 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by BeerHandle
[B]We will find out tomorrow when the players take the field. [/B

I LOVE THE INTRODUCTIONS, how could you not like that?
you can cheer for individuals, it gives the players a boost.

steff
05-25-2004, 05:16 AM
Originally posted by South Side
May I be nosy and ask how you have the scoop on these things?

I've been fortunate (or unfortunate depending on how you look at it :D: ) enough to get to know many folks in MLB.

Hondo
05-25-2004, 11:45 AM
Steff is Kenny Williams!!!!

Anyway. I'm sorry if this has already been mentioned but could the big announcement be a switch to the score for radio broadcasts?

Randar68
05-25-2004, 11:52 AM
Originally posted by Hondo

Anyway. I'm sorry if this has already been mentioned but could the big announcement be a switch to the score for radio broadcasts?

Well, it likely wouldn't happen until the current lucrative contract is up, but negotiations for such a deal are almost certainly taking place considering the Score's shift to being pretty pro-Sox from a former definite PRO-Coob stance in the very near past...

steff
05-25-2004, 12:18 PM

LOL.

Not possible. We've been seen in the same room together at the same time :D:

steff
05-25-2004, 12:19 PM

Per a Sox announcer... this is not happening in the near future that they are aware of. But I suppose he could be lying to me... :?:

Randar68
05-25-2004, 12:28 PM
Per a Sox announcer... this is not happening in the near future that they are aware of. But I suppose he could be lying to me... :?:

Anyone recall when the current deal with WMVP is up? Isn't it after next year?

jackbrohamer
05-25-2004, 12:32 PM
Anyone recall when the current deal with WMVP is up? Isn't it after next year?

I thought it was. But if both sides want out they probably can end the contract whenever they want to.

Randar68
05-25-2004, 12:34 PM
Originally posted by jackbrohamer
I thought it was. But if both sides want out they probably can end the contract whenever they want to.

ESPN definitely wants out, but it's too much money for JR to walk away from, IMO, unless the Score basically bought the remainder of the contract out...

ewokpelts
05-25-2004, 02:49 PM
Since I could not find his email address on the Sox site, I prefer not to give out his work email. You can always send him an email at the email address he has made available.

From another Thread of mine......
Brooks Boyer, the White Sox new vice president of marketing, is looking for your ideas! What would you like to see during your next trip to U.S. Cellular Field? Let us know! E-mail whitesoxbaseball@whitesox.mlb.com with your suggestions.
E-mail whitesoxbaseball@whitesox.mlb.com here>> http://lists.mlb.com/u/429766/9449549
If you have ever dealt witha sox staffer, you'll know how to get his direct email. They use the same format(aside from the chairman of course). The same goes for getting his phone number(brooks and jerry)
Gene

ewokpelts
05-25-2004, 02:50 PM
I don't think so...

it aint over until the fat lady sings.
Gene

ewokpelts
05-25-2004, 02:52 PM
Originally posted by socksgirl79
They still havent brought out the new Sox mascot. I bet thats what the "big announcement" is
dont make me want to smother myself...from what i've heard, the new mascot will be attrocious, Let's hope brooks smothered that idea.
Gene

ewokpelts
05-25-2004, 02:54 PM

um....no....I've met steff...and she certainly ISN'T black, or a man.
Gene

Hondo
05-25-2004, 02:59 PM
Originally posted by ewokpelts
um....no....I've met steff...and she certainly ISN'T black, or a man.
Gene

I thought the statement was so absurd I didn't need to use teal.