PDA

View Full Version : Mark Schanowski's Response to my email


BeerHandle
05-24-2004, 09:27 AM
I received an email from Mark Schanowski. I was a little surprised at the amount of time he spent to respond.

Mark's Response..........

Hi Bryan,

Even the most devoted Sox fan would have to admit, this has been an almost unprecedented week in terms of Cub injury news.......All-Star pitcher Kerry Wood, and one of the best home run hitters in baseball history, Sammy Sosa, go on the disabled list, while another All-star pitcher, Mark Prior, moves closer to his return to the big leagues in a minor league park about 3 hours from Chicago (driving distance for TV crews).

Sox fans like to write in and complain about lack of coverage when the Sox are out of town, and the Cubs are at Wrigley Field, but if you really do watch our news on a regular basis, you'll find that the team at home ALWAYS gets more coverage (highlights AND post-game interviews), simply from the practical reality that we don't have the budget to send camera crews on the road to cover baseball games during a 162 game season.

Here's another logistical problem for us this week........we called our NBC affiliate in Minneapolis to see if they could help us out and get some White Sox interviews talking about the big series with the Twins, but they're doing wall-to-wall basketball this weekend with the Timberwolves playing in the Western Conference Finals for the first time ever, and didn't have a camera crew or reporter to send to the Metrodome.

This week there's a pretty good chance our Houston affiliate will interview some Cubs players for us, since there's nothing else going on in Houston right now, so as you can see, what we put on the air is sometimes affected by the help we get from our affiliates, not any bias in favor of the Cubs.

I hope you don't think I'm being too blunt, but we get this particular e-mail every time the Cubs are at home, and the Sox are on the road, and I don't think viewers always understand how our business works. We're not Cubs fans or Sox fans in the media.........we try to be objective.......The bottom line is we root for a good story, and nothing would be better than seeing both Chicago teams stay in the race for the entire season, leading to big crowds and interest at both ballparks.

One last point, you talked about the promo for Sports Sunday.........there aren't many Sunday night games in Chicago, and we're just trying to remind viewers they can switch over for live post-game coverage after they watch the ESPN broadcast........Again, not a Cub bias, just a way to promote our show. I hope you'll continue to watch NBC-5, and we'll have plenty of coverage from U.S. Cellular Field this week as the Sox play Texas and Anaheim.

All the best and GO SOX!!!!!

Mark Schanowski

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Original Thread.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Chicago NBC 5 - Media Bias
Since Hagar 18 has been doing a great job viewing the Sun-Times and Tribune, I thought I would watch NBC 5 this week to see their coverage of the Sox and Cub.

Well, I was rather dissappointed. Mark S. obviuosly does not give equal coverage. I wish I kept a stop watch. I know it would have been 2-1, not in our favor.

Since the coverage was so biased I decided to send an email to Mark S.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Mark:

Good evening. I have watched your sports section every night this week. After watching the amount of coverage you have placed on the Cubs, I have to wonder if your editor or you have any relationship to the Cubs and WGN. The amount of coverage given to the Cubs and specifically the “messiah, Mark Prior” is a little over the top. Did you or your editor realize that the Sox are in a first place battle with the Twins? Who are the Cubs playing? Not the first place team in the division. Who are the Sox playing? Do I need to tell you?

On your sports section tonight, you had two clips on the Sox (might I add they won) and six clips on the Cubs (didn’t they lose?). The best was that you had a promo for your sports Sunday with Peggy and another reporter who will have reaction from Wrigley. I have to ask, why? I did not see anything about coverage of the post game coverage of the Sox – Twins game. Are you a Cubs fan? If so, that is fine, but please give equal coverage to the Cubs and Sox. By the way, the Sox are tied for first and the Cubs are in second.

A disappointed Chicago Sports Fan and NBC viewer!

Thank you for your time.

A.T. Money
05-24-2004, 10:02 AM
I hope his reply makes some of you sleep better at night now....

I think that was a very good and truthful response.

SSN721
05-24-2004, 10:18 AM
Originally posted by A.T. Money
I hope his reply makes some of you sleep better at night now....

I think that was a very good and truthful response.

I would have to agree, it was quite a logical respond and I for the most part buy it. I still think there is a larger disparity in volume of coverage in the newspapers but I have noticed that on TV the Sox seem to get a little bit of a fairer shake, and it is true that there have been a lot of peripheral things going on for the Cubs that I would expect would be covered if the same thing was happening with the SOx. At least I hope so.

Hangar18
05-24-2004, 10:21 AM
All that response tells me is that networks like NBC5 need to
do a BETTER JOB then.......of making sure theres equal coverage.
Hearing that they'll have NBC guys helping them for the Astros series is disheartening ............ which means MOre Coverage for them (thus making them look MORE important) again, and Less for us. As Usual.

soxtalker
05-24-2004, 10:28 AM
Originally posted by Hangar18
...
Hearing that they'll have NBC guys helping them for the Astros series is disheartening ............ which means MOre Coverage for them (thus making them look MORE important) again, and Less for us. As Usual.

I don't understand your reasoning here. Scanowski was pretty clear in stating that they had asked the same of their Minneapolis affiliate this past weekend. Unfortunately for us, Minneapolis was focused on basketball. (If the Bulls were at the same point, coverage of both the Sox and Cubs would be minimal.) Let's compare the coverage when we're on the road someplace else -- e.g., Texas.

BeerHandle
05-24-2004, 10:32 AM
Originally posted by soxtalker
I don't understand your reasoning here. Scanowski was pretty clear in stating that they had asked the same of their Minneapolis affiliate this past weekend. Unfortunately for us, Minneapolis was focused on basketball. (If the Bulls were at the same point, coverage of both the Sox and Cubs would be minimal.) Let's compare the coverage when we're on the road someplace else -- e.g., Texas.

I agree. I thought he was very truthful and thorough.

elrod
05-24-2004, 10:55 AM
I thought the reply was convincing. Frankly, I think we should turn this media bias thing into a "no respect" campaign. I'd love to see Ozzie getting more blunt about not getting respect from his own media and showing that he'll prove them wrong in October. That would draw attention. Have more players say things like "I don't give a damn about the Cubs. They choked when they had their chance."

Frater Perdurabo
05-24-2004, 11:08 AM
Originally posted by elrod
I thought the reply was convincing. Frankly, I think we should turn this media bias thing into a "no respect" campaign. I'd love to see Ozzie getting more blunt about not getting respect from his own media and showing that he'll prove them wrong in October. That would draw attention. Have more players say things like "I don't give a damn about the Cubs. They choked when they had their chance."

Actually I think Ozzie and the Sox players need to lay low and let their on-field play do the talking for them. The worst thing that could happen is for them to start chirping about the Cubs collapse last year, provide the Cubs with bulletin board material and then collapse themselves against the Cubs during interleague play. If that happened, the media would be all over the Sox for talking the talk but not walking the walk.

I'd much rather see the Sox stay quiet but get geared up for the games against the Cubs behind closed doors. Winning games, staying in first and then beating up on the Cubs should be the goal. Then they need to follow that up with a great second half to win the division and go deep in the playoffs.

Frater Perdurabo
05-24-2004, 11:09 AM
Originally posted by Frater Perdurabo
Actually I think Ozzie and the Sox players need to lay low and let their on-field play do the talking for them. The worst thing that could happen is for them to start chirping about the Cubs collapse last year, provide the Cubs with bulletin board material and then collapse themselves against the Cubs during interleague play. If that happened, the media would be all over the Sox for talking the talk but not walking the walk.

I'd much rather see the Sox stay quiet but get geared up for the games against the Cubs behind closed doors. Winning games, staying in first and then beating up on the Cubs should be the goal. Then they need to follow that up with a great second half to win the division and go deep in the playoffs.

Bitching abot the media bias -- and most importantly cheering on the Sox -- is our job, Sox fans. Ozzie and the players need to worry about winning games.

quade36
05-24-2004, 11:17 AM
I have never had a problem with the local TV media. I actually thought they were as close to being bias as one can be. I've gained a lot of respect for Mark Scanowski for his reponse. It was very classy.

As for the local papers and national media, thats a different story. But I watched the Final Word last night and heard a lot about the Sox and how important their series was.

I was a little dissapointed that they would put 4 game highlights before the Sox on SportsCenter, of course because of the way they won, but was happy when they did show the highlights. Any time you can see Tillman's pick off Randy Moss....

sas1974
05-24-2004, 11:28 AM
Originally posted by A.T. Money
I hope his reply makes some of you sleep better at night now....

I think that was a very good and truthful response.

It's hard for some folks here to sleep well because when they roll over in bed their tin foil hats make too much noise.

duke of dorwood
05-24-2004, 11:34 AM
At least he was honest about it. I avoid sports talk, news shows, watch Sox games and listen to Sox pre and post game radio shows. Once the Stanley Cup is over that'll be it for ESPN too.

ChiSoxBobette
05-24-2004, 12:01 PM
Originally posted by BeerHandle
I received an email from Mark Scanowski. I was a little surprised at the amount of time he spent to respond.

Mark's Response..........

Hi Bryan,

Even the most devoted Sox fan would have to admit, this has been an almost unprecedented week in terms of Cub injury news.......All-Star pitcher Kerry Wood, and one of the best home run hitters in baseball history, Sammy Sosa, go on the disabled list, while another All-star pitcher, Mark Prior, moves closer to his return to the big leagues in a minor league park about 3 hours from Chicago (driving distance for TV crews).

Sox fans like to write in and complain about lack of coverage when the Sox are out of town, and the Cubs are at Wrigley Field, but if you really do watch our news on a regular basis, you'll find that the team at home ALWAYS gets more coverage (highlights AND post-game interviews), simply from the practical reality that we don't have the budget to send camera crews on the road to cover baseball games during a 162 game season.

Here's another logistical problem for us this week........we called our NBC affiliate in Minneapolis to see if they could help us out and get some White Sox interviews talking about the big series with the Twins, but they're doing wall-to-wall basketball this weekend with the Timberwolves playing in the Western Conference Finals for the first time ever, and didn't have a camera crew or reporter to send to the Metrodome.

This week there's a pretty good chance our Houston affiliate will interview some Cubs players for us, since there's nothing else going on in Houston right now, so as you can see, what we put on the air is sometimes affected by the help we get from our affiliates, not any bias in favor of the Cubs.

I hope you don't think I'm being too blunt, but we get this particular e-mail every time the Cubs are at home, and the Sox are on the road, and I don't think viewers always understand how our business works. We're not Cubs fans or Sox fans in the media.........we try to be objective.......The bottom line is we root for a good story, and nothing would be better than seeing both Chicago teams stay in the race for the entire season, leading to big crowds and interest at both ballparks.

One last point, you talked about the promo for Sports Sunday.........there aren't many Sunday night games in Chicago, and we're just trying to remind viewers they can switch over for live post-game coverage after they watch the ESPN broadcast........Again, not a Cub bias, just a way to promote our show. I hope you'll continue to watch NBC-5, and we'll have plenty of coverage from U.S. Cellular Field this week as the Sox play Texas and Anaheim.

All the best and GO SOX!!!!!

Mark Schanowski

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Original Thread.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Chicago NBC 5 - Media Bias
Since Hagar 18 has been doing a great job viewing the Sun-Times and Tribune, I thought I would watch NBC 5 this week to see their coverage of the Sox and Cub.

Well, I was rather dissappointed. Mark S. obviuosly does not give equal coverage. I wish I kept a stop watch. I know it would have been 2-1, not in our favor.

Since the coverage was so biased I decided to send an email to Mark S.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Mark:

Good evening. I have watched your sports section every night this week. After watching the amount of coverage you have placed on the Cubs, I have to wonder if your editor or you have any relationship to the Cubs and WGN. The amount of coverage given to the Cubs and specifically the “messiah, Mark Prior” is a little over the top. Did you or your editor realize that the Sox are in a first place battle with the Twins? Who are the Cubs playing? Not the first place team in the division. Who are the Sox playing? Do I need to tell you?

On your sports section tonight, you had two clips on the Sox (might I add they won) and six clips on the Cubs (didn’t they lose?). The best was that you had a promo for your sports Sunday with Peggy and another reporter who will have reaction from Wrigley. I have to ask, why? I did not see anything about coverage of the post game coverage of the Sox – Twins game. Are you a Cubs fan? If so, that is fine, but please give equal coverage to the Cubs and Sox. By the way, the Sox are tied for first and the Cubs are in second.

A disappointed Chicago Sports Fan and NBC viewer!

Thank you for your time.

That guy is full of crap , he responds with the typical chicago sports media response. Most time the sports reporters in this town can't wait to jump on the Sox as a team or one of its players. A for instance the night the Sox beat the twins 8-2 the idiot who does channel 7 sports, mark giangreco, has to bring up that Frank Thomas could'nt play because he had a tummy ache "oh poor Frank". Thats the kind of crap Sox players & the team has to put up with from these scrub lovers who can't wait to put thier collective noses up mark priors butt - THE MARK PRIOR WATCH , what is that all about I suppose when prior comes back we'll have the kerry wood watch, then the sammy sosa watch. I did'nt hear anything about poor sosa hurting his back sneezing though. Who in the chicago sports media is a white sox fan other than The reg. White Sox guys, Wills, Melton,Farmer,Rooney,Hawk & DJ it seems everyone else can take shots at the White Sox.
I would also like to pat the guy on the back who was on Dave Wills post game show Sunday who asked the question - Is'nt this supposed to be the flagship station of the White Sox? after some confusion on Dave Wills part we hear Dave say now you're going to get me in trouble. The caller then went on to say that the two guys on after the White Sox post game show were having a get to know your cubs show....get to know your cubs on the White Sox flagship station - How Sad Is That For Us!Like the caller told Dave I suppose on WGN radio they have a get to know your White Sox show - YEAH RIGHT!
Yeah theres no media bias when it comes to the scrubs & the White Sox.

doublem23
05-24-2004, 12:14 PM
Originally posted by Frater Perdurabo
Bitching abot the media bias -- and most importantly cheering on the Sox -- is our job, Sox fans. Ozzie and the players need to worry about winning games.

Agreed. Ozzie and the players can moan about not getting any attention from the media the day their World Series party in Grant Park is on Page 2 of the Cubune behind pictures of Mark Prior's shoes and Kerry Wood's elbow.

Lip Man 1
05-24-2004, 12:22 PM
Mark has it pegged right. Even stations in Chicago do not have unlimited budgets or they could hire enough people to blanket every event anywhere and not have to use people from other affiliates.

I thought it was an honest response and one of the better ones that I've seen at WSI from the media.

Lip

vegyrex
05-24-2004, 12:30 PM
Originally posted by ChiSoxBob

get to know your cubs on the White Sox flagship station - How Sad Is That For Us!Like the caller told Dave I suppose on WGN radio they have a get to know your White Sox show - YEAH RIGHT!


If anyone even suggested such a thing at 'GN you'd be laughed at and sent on your way. ESPN is a joke. :angry: :angry:

rahulsekhar
05-24-2004, 01:51 PM
Originally posted by BeerHandle
I received an email from Mark Scanowski. I was a little surprised at the amount of time he spent to respond.

Mark's Response..........

Hi Bryan,

Even the most devoted Sox fan would have to admit, this has been an almost unprecedented week in terms of Cub injury news.......All-Star pitcher Kerry Wood, and one of the best home run hitters in baseball history, Sammy Sosa, go on the disabled list, while another All-star pitcher, Mark Prior, moves closer to his return to the big leagues in a minor league park about 3 hours from Chicago (driving distance for TV crews).

Sox fans like to write in and complain about lack of coverage when the Sox are out of town, and the Cubs are at Wrigley Field, but if you really do watch our news on a regular basis, you'll find that the team at home ALWAYS gets more coverage (highlights AND post-game interviews), simply from the practical reality that we don't have the budget to send camera crews on the road to cover baseball games during a 162 game season.

Here's another logistical problem for us this week........we called our NBC affiliate in Minneapolis to see if they could help us out and get some White Sox interviews talking about the big series with the Twins, but they're doing wall-to-wall basketball this weekend with the Timberwolves playing in the Western Conference Finals for the first time ever, and didn't have a camera crew or reporter to send to the Metrodome.

This week there's a pretty good chance our Houston affiliate will interview some Cubs players for us, since there's nothing else going on in Houston right now, so as you can see, what we put on the air is sometimes affected by the help we get from our affiliates, not any bias in favor of the Cubs.

I hope you don't think I'm being too blunt, but we get this particular e-mail every time the Cubs are at home, and the Sox are on the road, and I don't think viewers always understand how our business works. We're not Cubs fans or Sox fans in the media.........we try to be objective.......The bottom line is we root for a good story, and nothing would be better than seeing both Chicago teams stay in the race for the entire season, leading to big crowds and interest at both ballparks.

One last point, you talked about the promo for Sports Sunday.........there aren't many Sunday night games in Chicago, and we're just trying to remind viewers they can switch over for live post-game coverage after they watch the ESPN broadcast........Again, not a Cub bias, just a way to promote our show. I hope you'll continue to watch NBC-5, and we'll have plenty of coverage from U.S. Cellular Field this week as the Sox play Texas and Anaheim.

All the best and GO SOX!!!!!

Mark Schanowski

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Original Thread.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Chicago NBC 5 - Media Bias
Since Hagar 18 has been doing a great job viewing the Sun-Times and Tribune, I thought I would watch NBC 5 this week to see their coverage of the Sox and Cub.

Well, I was rather dissappointed. Mark S. obviuosly does not give equal coverage. I wish I kept a stop watch. I know it would have been 2-1, not in our favor.

Since the coverage was so biased I decided to send an email to Mark S.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Mark:

Good evening. I have watched your sports section every night this week. After watching the amount of coverage you have placed on the Cubs, I have to wonder if your editor or you have any relationship to the Cubs and WGN. The amount of coverage given to the Cubs and specifically the “messiah, Mark Prior” is a little over the top. Did you or your editor realize that the Sox are in a first place battle with the Twins? Who are the Cubs playing? Not the first place team in the division. Who are the Sox playing? Do I need to tell you?

On your sports section tonight, you had two clips on the Sox (might I add they won) and six clips on the Cubs (didn’t they lose?). The best was that you had a promo for your sports Sunday with Peggy and another reporter who will have reaction from Wrigley. I have to ask, why? I did not see anything about coverage of the post game coverage of the Sox – Twins game. Are you a Cubs fan? If so, that is fine, but please give equal coverage to the Cubs and Sox. By the way, the Sox are tied for first and the Cubs are in second.

A disappointed Chicago Sports Fan and NBC viewer!

Thank you for your time.

That's a well thought out response, but if it's true then we should see much more even coverage this week with the Sox at home and the Chubs on the road. If not, I think it's worth a reply email to Mark pointing out how they're not following the policies that he says they have in place.

ode to veeck
05-24-2004, 01:56 PM
Was channel 5 able to send someone to cover Lansing? If so, the story don't hold water.

pudge
05-24-2004, 02:04 PM
Originally posted by rahulsekhar
That's a well thought out response, but if it's true then we should see much more even coverage this week with the Sox at home and the Chubs on the road. If not, I think it's worth a reply email to Mark pointing out how they're not following the policies that he says they have in place.

He already covered his butt by saying the Houston affiliate would likely provide some Cubs coverage. And the Cubs vs. Houston is a bigger story than Sox vs. Texas anyway.

I think it's a great response, having worked in a industry myself, I pretty much laugh at all the whining on WSI. People have no clue what goes on in a newsroom. And it's not the media's fault the Sox shot themselves in the foot PR-wise many times in the '80s and '90s.

Hey, I don't enjoy watching Cubs-love either... but the bottom line is, if the Sox win, they'll get coverage.

Kadafi311
05-24-2004, 02:13 PM
Originally posted by sas1974
It's hard for some folks here to sleep well because when they roll over in bed their tin foil hats make too much noise.

Perfect :D:

BeerHandle
05-24-2004, 02:26 PM
Originally posted by ode to veeck
Was channel 5 able to send someone to cover Lansing? If so, the story don't hold water.

Peggy K. (NBC 5 Chicago) was at the game in Lansing.

sas1974
05-24-2004, 02:39 PM
Can someone please fix the title of this thread? With all of this talk wondering if people (media, players, etc) visit the site, I'd prefer that they didn't think we were a bunch of illiterates.

Hokiesox
05-24-2004, 03:31 PM
Why is that I got to nbc5.com, and see an article about the 8 pitches Wood threw, but nary a mention about 17-7 yesterday. Does he call that equal?

so, I click on the White Sox bit, and still no mention of 17-7. Instead, I see a White Sox minor league report and a "Chicago-Minnesota game report" and that was taken from Sports network. Not even the AP! Didn't NBC5 have an employee watch the game? They call it fair and unbiased? HA! :angry:

maurice
05-24-2004, 05:19 PM
Last season, every affiliate sent reporters to San Juan to cover the "historic matchup" between the second-place cubs and the fourth-place expos. Yet, they lack the resources to send a crew to the Twin Cities to cover a matchup of two first-place clubs?

I'll believe it when the cubs and cards are tied for first place, and NBC fails to send a reporter to St. Louis to cover the series. That'll be the same day pigs fly and hell freezes over. In the meanwhile, all we'll see are more lies and cub-tastic propaganda.

steff
05-24-2004, 05:22 PM
Originally posted by sas1974
Can someone please fix the title of this thread? With all of this talk wondering if people (media, players, etc) visit the site, I'd prefer that they didn't think we were a bunch of illiterates.



ROTFLMAO!!! :D:

DSpivack
05-24-2004, 05:33 PM
The best thing Ozzie can do is pretend the Cubs don't exist- until we play them.

hsnterprize
05-24-2004, 07:05 PM
Don't shoot me on this one, folks. I'm with you when it comes to calling out the press biases in this town. But, I have to give Mark Schanowski his props on this one. This was by far the best answer to any complaint I'd seen from any sports reporter as to bias towards any team...let alone the Cubs.

Now if the settings were different, with the Sox beating up on the Twins at the Cell while the Cubs edge St. Louis at Busch Stadium, would the coverage be different? As much as we would like to say, "Yes!!!!", we honestly don't know. And let's face it...it's a lot cheaper for a station to send a reporter to a home game rather than fly someone out to a road game...even though it's done quite a bit.

Mark's a stand-up guy in this instance, and I'll give him his due. Remember...this is the guy who took a beating in Feder's column late last year for wearing a Bears' shirt while doing pre/post-game Bears' pre season games. Unless we can prove beyond-a-shadow-of-a-doubt the lack of Sox coverage on NBC 5 last night was blatant, let's back off on this one. Remember...the Cubs are EXPECTED to win this year, so any game they play is going to be a big one...especially against a division rival. Look at how crazy the Cubs' fans are when their team wins/loses a game. It's unlike any time in modern history, so there are going to be times when we're just going to have to ride this wave.

There are just going to be times this year when no matter how well/poorly the Sox are playing, the Cubs are going to be the lead story...simple as that. And Mark deserves some kudos for writing a response letter in a non-pompous-a$$ style like other reporters have done in the past. At least he explains why the stories ended up the way they were instead of telling the guy to stick his Sox coverage where 35th Street don't go. Besides...we'll get our due in the fall when the Cubs are watching the Sox go all the way...so keep your shirt on. Everything's going to be okay.

whitesoxwilkes
05-24-2004, 07:41 PM
Originally posted by sas1974
Can someone please fix the title of this thread? With all of this talk wondering if people (media, players, etc) visit the site, I'd prefer that they didn't think we were a bunch of illiterates.

Fxied, er, fixde, er...FIXED.

34rancher
05-24-2004, 07:51 PM
Originally posted by maurice
Last season, every affiliate sent reporters to San Juan to cover the "historic matchup" between the second-place cubs and the fourth-place expos. Yet, they lack the resources to send a crew to the Twin Cities to cover a matchup of two first-place clubs?

I'll believe it when the cubs and cards are tied for first place, and NBC fails to send a reporter to St. Louis to cover the series. That'll be the same day pigs fly and hell freezes over. In the meanwhile, all we'll see are more lies and cub-tastic propaganda.

you mean like the promos that it was the first time the Yankees played in town for like 70 years?
Uhhhh....don't we play them every year in Chicago?

gosox41
05-25-2004, 07:53 AM
Originally posted by hsnterprize
Don't shoot me on this one, folks. I'm with you when it comes to calling out the press biases in this town. But, I have to give Mark Schanowski his props on this one. This was by far the best answer to any complaint I'd seen from any sports reporter as to bias towards any team...let alone the Cubs.

Now if the settings were different, with the Sox beating up on the Twins at the Cell while the Cubs edge St. Louis at Busch Stadium, would the coverage be different? As much as we would like to say, "Yes!!!!", we honestly don't know. And let's face it...it's a lot cheaper for a station to send a reporter to a home game rather than fly someone out to a road game...even though it's done quite a bit.

Mark's a stand-up guy in this instance, and I'll give him his due. Remember...this is the guy who took a beating in Feder's column late last year for wearing a Bears' shirt while doing pre/post-game Bears' pre season games. Unless we can prove beyond-a-shadow-of-a-doubt the lack of Sox coverage on NBC 5 last night was blatant, let's back off on this one. Remember...the Cubs are EXPECTED to win this year, so any game they play is going to be a big one...especially against a division rival. Look at how crazy the Cubs' fans are when their team wins/loses a game. It's unlike any time in modern history, so there are going to be times when we're just going to have to ride this wave.

There are just going to be times this year when no matter how well/poorly the Sox are playing, the Cubs are going to be the lead story...simple as that. And Mark deserves some kudos for writing a response letter in a non-pompous-a$$ style like other reporters have done in the past. At least he explains why the stories ended up the way they were instead of telling the guy to stick his Sox coverage where 35th Street don't go. Besides...we'll get our due in the fall when the Cubs are watching the Sox go all the way...so keep your shirt on. Everything's going to be okay.

This week could be a good test for media coverage. The Sox are playing one of hte best teams in baseball in Anaheim, and one of hte biggest surprises in baseball in Texas. Texas has the same record as the Sox. Anaheim is better then that. It's a huge home series. In the mean time the Cubs have a 2 game series against Houston and then go to Pittscburgh.

The Sox better get more media attention this week based on Mark's theory. Even if NBC Houston has nothing beter to do, the Sox are the home team and fighting for first place.


Bob

hsnterprize
05-25-2004, 08:34 AM
Originally posted by gosox41
This week could be a good test for media coverage. The Sox are playing one of hte best teams in baseball in Anaheim, and one of hte biggest surprises in baseball in Texas. Texas has the same record as the Sox. Anaheim is better then that. It's a huge home series. In the mean time the Cubs have a 2 game series against Houston and then go to Pittscburgh.

The Sox better get more media attention this week based on Mark's theory. Even if NBC Houston has nothing beter to do, the Sox are the home team and fighting for first place.


Bob I agree with you...since the Sox are at home and are fighting for first place, they should lead a sportscast on this and other stations. You know there will be a lot of hype about the Cubs/Houston series, but the Sox are playing the top 2 teams in the American League West Division. Not to mention, the Sox haven't done all that well against A.L. West teams lately.

Lip Man 1
05-25-2004, 12:08 PM
I don't think there is any question that Cubs/Houston is going to get far more coverage then the Sox/Texas.

Texas right now is an overachieveing bunch of no name players.

Now later in the week, Sox/Anaheim should get most of the publicity.

Lip