PDA

View Full Version : Sox probably going to call up Rauch or Grilli for Sat. game

SoxxoS
05-24-2004, 12:33 AM
For those Tribune registered... (http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-040523soxbrite,1,3673788.story?coll=cs-home-headlines)

Rauch is finally completely healthy, it's time to see what he can do. His numbers are worthy of a callup. If they want a guy that can throw strikes, he is the obvious choice over Grilli.

Rauch, 25, is 5-2 with a 3.10 ERA with Triple-A Charlotte. He has allowed 37 hits in 491/3 innings and has 39 strikeouts to 18 walks. Opponents are hitting just .210 against the 6-foot-11-inch right-hander.

He will face a team that can hit a ton, so it should be a good test.

batmanZoSo
05-24-2004, 12:41 AM
Originally posted by SoxxoS
For those Tribune registered... (http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-040523soxbrite,1,3673788.story?coll=cs-home-headlines)

Rauch is finally completely healthy, it's time to see what he can do. His numbers are worthy of a callup. If they want a guy that can throw strikes, he is the obvious choice over Grilli.

Let the search continue. And hopefully end with Rauch.

Rex Hudler
05-24-2004, 12:42 AM

Are you sure he is healthy? Rauch has barely averaged 5 innings per start and was rumored to be headed for the bullpen before Pacheco got hurt. It has been said that they were going to move him to the pen because they don't feel his shoulder is right and they are worried about damaging it further.

Whether that is true or not, there has to be some reason why he has had trouble going deep into games.

JRIG
05-24-2004, 12:44 AM
Rauch should be here and should get 10 starts before a decision is made. I'm not happy with giving Diaz 2 starts to prove himself and spot-starting Cotts. Rauch is the best option in the organization. If he lays an egg after ten starts, then look outside for someone else.

Cubbiesuck13
Originally posted by Rex Hudler
Are you sure he is healthy? Rauch has barely averaged 5 innings per start and was rumored to be headed for the bullpen before Pacheco got hurt. It has been said that they were going to move him to the pen because they don't feel his shoulder is right and they are worried about damaging it further.

Whether that is true or not, there has to be some reason why he has had trouble going deep into games.

if they could just go 4 and give up fewer than 4 i will be happy, whoever the 5th starter may be.

SoxxoS

From the fragments of what I have read over the internet, none say any health problems. If there is something "inside" that the public doesn't know about...I wouldn't know. If his shoulder is hurting he is doing an awfully good job of pitching looking at his numbers.

One more problem with the shoulder, and you got to think lights out for Rauch.

lowesox
05-24-2004, 12:45 AM
Hm. I'm not a huge fan of how the Sox have handles this whole situation. I mean, Cotts and Diaz have both pitched well enough in the early part of the season to deserve a fairer shake then what they got. I actually think Rauch is the most prepared guy to step in their, but I think other guys deserve it more. Anyway, regardless of how classy the handling of this spot is, if they go with Rauch I hope they stick with him.

doublem23
05-24-2004, 12:49 AM

One more problem with the shoulder, and you got to think lights out for Rauch.

Agreed, which is why I think he's been buried so long. I think the Sox learned their lesson with him the first time around.

Navaro's Talent
05-24-2004, 12:50 AM
I'd rather have the Sox stick with Cotts, but I guess it is sort of hard to get his arm ready to go at least six innings per game this far into the season. Oh well, as long as either Rauch or Grilli can get the job done, I have no room to complain. Since Rauch has experience in the majors already, I'm guessing that he has the advantage, but Grilli had a good spring training, excpept for that last horrible start. Ozzie and Co. have a tough decision to make.

beckett21
05-24-2004, 01:03 AM
Ahhh, gas up the shuttle bus for another run. Better leave the engine running.....

Sorry no offense meant here but this is bordering on the absurd. I fully understand that it is too early to make a trade so don't jump on me for that. Pretty soon, after Rauch, Grilli, and Munoz all have their shots maybe Brooks Boyer can start a new *be the 5th starter for a day* promotion. Hey, it will save our minor leaguers some of their options and the embarassment of getting run out of town on a rail after two starts.

Maybe Rauch should have been up here in the first place. If they do bring him up, I would like to see a commitment to the guy of more than two starts. I think 10 is a little much if he struggles, but 4 or 5 should be telling enough. Not 2.

I still think the answer is to get a top-of-the-rotation guy. I guess we have to throw someone out there until a deal can be made.

OK, let's give this ONE more try....

OurBitchinMinny
05-24-2004, 01:27 AM
Originally posted by JRIG
Rauch should be here and should get 10 starts before a decision is made. I'm not happy with giving Diaz 2 starts to prove himself and spot-starting Cotts. Rauch is the best option in the organization. If he lays an egg after ten starts, then look outside for someone else.

10 starts is way too much for an experiment. Give whoever is the callup 3-4 starts. They gave up on diaz quick, but I cant blame them. He was brutal. Rauch has been up before and has been terrible. 10 starts is way too many, especially if he pitches bad. My opinion is that you give rauch, although Id rather see munoz a few starts. If he wins or at least does decently, give him some more. If he fizzles, obviously the farm system isnt doing its job or they just arent ready and you have to go out and get a pitcher, whether its garcia who bumps garland to the #5. If Garland is a #5 you have a pretty solid staff. Loaiza also needs to pitch better.

jeremyb1
05-24-2004, 02:01 AM
It has been said that they were going to move him to the pen because they don't feel his shoulder is right and they are worried about damaging it further.

What are the sources here? I've heard this half a dozen times on this board at this point and I've never seen it anywhere in the print media. Where have people heard these rumors outside of posters on this board? Anyone know the origins of the rumors?

Rex Hudler
05-24-2004, 02:20 AM
Originally posted by jeremyb1
What are the sources here? I've heard this half a dozen times on this board at this point and I've never seen it anywhere in the print media. Where have people heard these rumors outside of posters on this board? Anyone know the origins of the rumors?

To answer your question, that has not been printed, at least not that I know of. Lots of info never makes it to print.

I heard it indirectly from someone with direct ties to the Sox org. I didn't hear it myself, so I cannot say for sure that it is true. But the chain the information came from has never steered me wrong before.

Of couse any info heard second hand is subject to interpretation, which is why I worded my post the way I did. Is it infallible info? nope..... But once again, something seems amiss when a guy is having trouble going much past 5 innings, even when pitching well.

jeremyb1
05-24-2004, 02:25 AM
To answer your question, that has not been printed, at least not that I know of. Lots of info never makes it to print.

I heard it indirectly from someone with direct ties to the Sox org. I didn't hear it myself, so I cannot say for sure that it is true. But the chain the information came from has never steered me wrong before.

Of couse any info heard second hand is subject to interpretation, which is why I worded my post the way I did. Is it infallible info? nope..... But once again, something seems amiss when a guy is having trouble going much past 5 innings, even when pitching well.

Well he could just be running up high pitch counts. I know in his last start he walked four guys and his K rate has been solid so that'll do it.

If there really are serious concerns about his shoulder at this point it doesn't seem as though it matters whether he's moved to the pen, has more surgery, etc. it's only a matter of time before he's ineffective or under the knife again and there's not too much hope left at this point. So I hope the rumors are somehow false or that there's been a poor diagnosis somewhere down the line.

Randar68
05-24-2004, 09:47 AM
Well he could just be running up high pitch counts. I know in his last start he walked four guys and his K rate has been solid so that'll do it.

1) You hit the nail on the head. He's been on strict pitch counts and they've been trying very hard to keep him from getting fatigued. He has had his share of walks on several occassions and that hasn't helped

2) The only place I have heard of this garbage about his shoulder being questionable again and him going to the bullpen, was on this board. I have heard nothing from Charlotte or elsewhere to make me believe that was ever really being considered.

gosox41
05-24-2004, 09:49 AM

I've been pusing for Rauch since the offseason. Whoever the Sox pick, it might be in their best interest to give them more then 2 starts before deciding their fate.

Bob

BigEdWalsh
05-24-2004, 10:34 AM

:ozzie

Refering to Cotts & Atkins

"I'm not a big fan of what we did yesterday," Guillen said. "These kids are throwing the ball real well and have confidence in themselves. I don't want to ruin what they have.

"If I have my pick, I would bring someone up from the minor leagues because I don't want to use anyone from my bullpen. We don't expect the fifth starter to win 25 games, but someone from the minors should step up and do the job."

I borrowed this from the White Sox web site..

:biged

hold2dibber
05-24-2004, 10:54 AM
Originally posted by ChisoxfaninMinny
Rauch has been up before and has been terrible.

Rauch was terrible when he was made the 5th starter coming out of spring training in '01 (or maybe it was '02). But the last time he was up, at the end of '02, when he had 2 spectacular starts against the Twins where he looked magnificent.

Lip Man 1
05-24-2004, 12:36 PM
Rauch was inserted as the 5th starter for the 2002 season coming out of spring training. I think he lasted in that position until mid May when he was sent down. He had those two starts towards the tail end of the 2002 season and hasn't been heard from in the majors since.

I honestly hope he can do the job. This merry go round has got to stop. He needs to buy the Sox a month before they can swing a deal (and even if Rauch does OK, they still need to swing a trade for more pitching.)

Lip

kittle42
05-24-2004, 12:38 PM
Awesome. I have bleacher seats for Saturday so if Rauch pitches, I am bound to get some souveneirs.

Randar68
05-24-2004, 12:39 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
Rauch was inserted as the 5th starter for the 2002 season coming out of spring training. I think he lasted in that position until mid May when he was sent down. He had those two starts towards the tail end of the 2002 season and hasn't been heard from in the majors since.

Lip

He was made the 5th starter, then wasn't used for 15 days or more, and then asked to start, and was ineffective.

The 2 outings against the Twins that September were possibly the 2-best starts against them all season by Sox starters. He dominated.

However, health has held him back over and over. The severity of his shoulder injury has definitely been a HUGE obstacle. In addition, as the article posted by kermit (IIRC) indicated, only one player has ever returned from labrum surgery to become an effective pitcher in the majors.

MisterB
05-24-2004, 12:49 PM
Originally posted by hold2dibber
Rauch was terrible when he was made the 5th starter coming out of spring training in '01 (or maybe it was '02). But the last time he was up, at the end of '02, when he had 2 spectacular starts against the Twins where he looked magnificent.

It was spring of '02 and he was less than a year removed from the shoulder surgery that caused him to miss most of '01. The only reason Rauch made the team out of ST was KW's failure to come up with a better option for the #5 starter/long relief spot (anyone seeing a pattern here?).

Paulwny
05-24-2004, 12:54 PM
Originally posted by kittle42
Awesome. I have bleacher seats for Saturday so if Rauch pitches, I am bound to get some souveneirs.

Hopefully my son-in-law bought better seats. I don't want to be ducking all day.

jeremyb1
05-24-2004, 03:34 PM
Originally posted by Randar68
In addition, as the article posted by kermit (IIRC) indicated, only one player has ever returned from labrum surgery to become an effective pitcher in the majors.

Just to clarify I think Carrol's phrasing was that one out of thirty six he recalled had returned to the same level, so there may be some pitchers that returned and were somewhat effective, just not as effective as in the past.

Randar68
05-24-2004, 03:38 PM
Just to clarify I think Carrol's phrasing was that one out of thirty six he recalled had returned to the same level, so there may be some pitchers that returned and were somewhat effective, just not as effective as in the past.

Thanks, I couldn't recall how complete the data/research was.