PDA

View Full Version : Hopefully, this will piss you off...

lowesox
05-24-2004, 12:23 AM
"We're not afraid to play this team on any given day," said right fielder Jacque Jones, who went 1-for-3. "Nobody sent anybody a message."

Hm. Jacques, interesting that this would be top of mind. You're denial is proof alone. Message delivered.

pearso66
05-24-2004, 12:24 AM
I figured Dougie boy would say something like htat, but it doesnt suprise me that Jones is the guy to do it.

batmanZoSo
05-24-2004, 12:24 AM
Originally posted by lowesox
"We're not afraid to play this team on any given day,"

Mistake...#1.

doublem23
05-24-2004, 12:25 AM
Jones was around for some of those miserable years the Twins put together in the late-90s. I figure he wouldn't be scared of getting shellacked.

Irishsox1
05-24-2004, 12:31 AM
He didn't really say much. So what, the Twins aren't afraid to play the Sox, of course they are not, they've kicked the Sox butts for the last three years. Confidence just doesn't fade away over night, you have to beat it out of them, one game at a time.

Navaro's Talent
05-24-2004, 12:36 AM
If a message wasn't received, he wouldn't have said anything. Anyways, he didn't bash the Sox like some of them did last year when the Sox took the first two games at home before everyone's favorite White Sox player, Jose Paniagua, messed things up. So, I won't bash him...yet.

OurBitchinMinny
05-24-2004, 12:38 AM
Nobody should be afraid to face anybody. I dont like jones, but Im not pissed off about that comment. The season series is 4-3 overall. There is still a long way to go, but this was a very very good weekend.

batmanZoSo
05-24-2004, 12:39 AM
Originally posted by Navaro's Talent
If a message wasn't received, he wouldn't have said anything. Anyways, he didn't bash the Sox like some of them did last year when the Sox took the first two games at home before everyone's favorite White Sox player, Jose Paniagua, messed things up. So, I won't bash him...yet.

He was obviously asked if the Sox sent a message.

In all seriousness, he said what should be expected.

lowesox
05-24-2004, 12:42 AM

No, he didn't bash the sox, but it's that same cockiness that makes you want to vomit. A classy player might have said something like 'wow, they really impressed us. It's going to be a tough race.' Instead he talks about how they're not afraid. Well, I think they looked afraid when none of their pitchers could get an out. I mean, let's face it, the sox kicked their ass three times out of four, in their own backyard. The only time they beat us was the slot in the rotation we have a dire need to address. That's a good ol' fashioned ass kicking in my books and Mr. Jones is fooling himself if he thinks a message wasn't sent.

I can tell you this, if the twins had done that to us, I would have posted how they were the better team and I'll bet the Sox players would have shown more respect. REgardless, I hope they keep talking big because it's going to make them look even dumber the next time we kick their ass.

Navaro's Talent
05-24-2004, 12:44 AM
Originally posted by batmanZoSo

That's probably true. I don't know how the Minnesota media is handling the loss, but it could very well be that the media were heading in that direction. I'm not sure, though. Any one from Minnesota here who can help us out?

batmanZoSo
05-24-2004, 12:49 AM
No, he didn't bash the sox, but it's that same cockiness that makes you want to vomit. A classy player might have said something like 'wow, they really impressed us. It's going to be a tough race.' Instead he talks about how they're not afraid. Well, I think they looked afraid when none of their pitchers could get an out. I mean, let's face it, the sox kicked their ass three times out of four, in their own backyard. The only time they beat us was the slot in the rotation we have a dire need to address. That's a good ol' fashioned ass kicking in my books and Mr. Jones is fooling himself if he thinks a message wasn't sent.

I can tell you this, if the twins had done that to us, I would have posted how they were the better team and I'll bet the Sox players would have shown more respect. REgardless, I hope they keep talking big because it's going to make them look even dumber the next time we kick their ass.

With all due respect you're way off here. You must not have seen the other thread where the rest of Jones comments were posted praising the sox lineup, naming hot hitters and he was the same guy who said "Juan Ruth."

He gave the Sox their props but he also said that they're not afraid to play us. That's not cocky at all.

Hokiesox
05-24-2004, 09:12 AM
Cocky or not cocky, I still don't like him. Or mienkacivhetsvhe, and I still don't like peerzoosky.

fhqwhgads
05-24-2004, 09:18 AM
A classy player might have said something like 'wow, they really impressed us. It's going to be a tough race.'

You mean like the way the Sox were talking coming into this series? Or after the first two games at the Cell?

C'mon. First off, Jacque wasn't talking smack. Second, I've heard much more "We're the better team" crap coming from the South Side this year than from up here. Third, we all know which team has talked more smack over the past 3 seasons (hint: they didn't win the division). Fourth, give it a rest already. You're starting to sound like the Twins whining about someone talking smack and giving no respect.

hose
05-24-2004, 09:36 AM
Maniechevitwtzzxcez: "The Sox fans don't deserve the All- Star game."

Want to sugarcoat or down play that Flogerhead.

gosox41
05-24-2004, 09:41 AM

Maybe he was answering the question 'Do you think the Sox sent a message out this series?"

What is he going to say? No comment makes him look scared and he's not going to agree with that statement.

Bob

Dan H
05-24-2004, 10:26 AM
The message was really from the Sox to themselves. They can't allow themselves to be pyched out by the Twins, especially when they go up to the Minnesota. Now it is time to see how they handle the rest of the league.

mcfish
05-24-2004, 10:51 AM
"We're not afraid to play this team on any given day," said right fielder Jacque Jones, who went 1-for-3. "Nobody sent anybody a message."

Hm. Jacques, interesting that this would be top of mind. You're denial is proof alone. Message delivered.

It really and truly doesn't piss me off at all. I wouldn't mind seeing this quote if he hadn't obviously been asked a question about the Sox sending Minnesota a message. He didn't say anything negative at all about either club, just something positive about the Twins. It was a great weekend of baseball for us - why worry about damage control quotes from Minnesota?

fhqwhgads
05-24-2004, 11:53 AM
Originally posted by hose

No, not really. :D:

What that has to do with a harmless quote by Jones is something you'd have to explain to me, though.

sas1974
05-24-2004, 11:59 AM

KW's response was classic. IIRC, it was something along the lines of "Doug doesn't need to worry about the All-Star game, because he's not going to be here."

hose
05-24-2004, 12:00 PM
Originally posted by fhqwhgads
No, not really. :D:

What that has to do with a harmless quote by Jones is something you'd have to explain to me, though.

I read this in the Minneapolis Star-Tribune sports section under the Twins Geek section:

Sunday, May 23 @ 19:09:56 CDT (167 reads)

Yikes. Ten years ago, yesterday's 17-7 loss to the White Sox would at least have tantalized Twins Geeks with the possibility of Dan Gladden's "fastball" making an appearance. Yesterday, it just felt like a smackdown by the latest manifestation of another boorish, loud-mouth White Sox team. Worse, the Twins came out of their "showdown" beat up, both on and off the field....

Another loud-mouth White Sox team?

Lip Man 1
05-24-2004, 12:25 PM
When you still have to play each other 12 times it's way to early for a 'statement.'

Lip

fhqwhgads
05-24-2004, 12:46 PM
I read this...

Now you've got the relevance of two quotes to explain. :D:

Foulke You
05-24-2004, 01:02 PM
You mean like the way the Sox were talking coming into this series? Or after the first two games at the Cell?

C'mon. First off, Jacque wasn't talking smack. Second, I've heard much more "We're the better team" crap coming from the South Side this year than from up here. Third, we all know which team has talked more smack over the past 3 seasons (hint: they didn't win the division). Fourth, give it a rest already. You're starting to sound like the Twins whining about someone talking smack and giving no respect.

Sorry fhqwhgads, I'm still hearing more from Twins land about their perceived lack of respect from other teams than I am hearing "we're the better team" stuff from the Sox. Most of this "disrespect" towards the Twins is created by themselves with Twins players over reacting to comments from Sox players or managers. Twins radio man Dan Gladden was whining on ESPN 1000 that the they still don't get any respect and everyone picked the Royals and White Sox to win the division.:?: Funny, I don't remember ANYONE picking the White Sox but plenty of folks picked the Twins.

A perfect example of a Twins player whining over nothing was my good friend Torii Hunter last weekend after the Twins won the 2nd game of the series 4-1, Ozzie was trying to fire up his team saying they should be embarassed with their performance on the field. (They should have been too with the corpseball they played) What was Torii Hunter's predictable reaction to a quote from Ozzie calling out the White Sox players? To take offense of course! This tidbit is from the Sun-Times from last weekend:

''If they want to compete and win, we better start thinking about the White Sox, not the Minnesota Twins,'' Guillen said. ''Obviously, they have a good team, but man-for-man, we should be embarrassed.''

and here was Torii taking offense:

''Nobody respects us, it's always, 'They're a good Triple-A team.' I'm tired of it,'' said Hunter, who went 4-for-4 with two home runs, a double and single. ''Hey, we play the game.

''We're just a small-market team that's had a lot of things go wrong with our organization, our turf. But if you look at our team, we have a pretty good team. That [talk] kind of drives some of the guys.''

This is typical to how Twins players react to anything that is said and it is getting old. There have been no barbs thrown by a Ray Durham or Billy Koch this year. All I've heard from Sox players this year is that the Sox are the underdogs and the Twins are the favorites. In fact, Ozzie Guillen has been heaping praise on the Twins outfield the whole weekend (and last weekend). In yesterday's pre-game Ozzie was raving about Hunter and Jones and he was really impressed with Lew Ford. I'm just not seeing or hearing anything coming from the Sox that is "smack talk" this year. Yes, in the past guys like Koch or Durham have said stuff but it isn't like the Twins haven't had their share of trash talking. The Twins have done plenty over the years, including taunting White Sox players on the field of play during the 2002 season. And if I had a nickel for every Torii Hunter quote that pissed me off...

TDog
05-24-2004, 01:48 PM
Originally posted by batmanZoSo

You're obviously right. In a newspaper story, you might see things that anger you because the person saying them is even bringing up the subject when that person actually is responding to a question that you don't see. It is cumbersome to say "Jones, when asked ..., said ...."

In this case the context should have been implied. Sometimes it is not. When Pope John-something came to New York years ago, reporters asked him if he planned to go to any night clubs while he was in town. A newspaper report simply said that after the pope got off the plane, he asked, "Are they night clubs in New York?"

hose
05-24-2004, 02:27 PM
Now you've got the relevance of two quotes to explain. :D:

Flog I will direct you to Foulke You's response for a full explanation. :D:

fhqwhgads
05-24-2004, 02:40 PM
Flog I will direct you to Foulke You's response for a full explanation. :D:

Foulke You gave his opinion on how the Twins feel disrespected and take comments by opposing managers feeling "embarrassed" about losing to a "good" team in a couple of close games (read between the lines, FY) as offensive. While that's all well and good, I don't see it explaining the relevance of either Doug's All-Star quote or the webloggers quote to what Jacque said.

Still waiting...

Iwritecode
05-24-2004, 02:50 PM

Foulke You gave his opinion on how the Twins feel disrespected and take comments by opposing managers feeling "embarrassed" about losing to a "good" team in a couple of close games (read between the lines, FY) as offensive. While that's all well and good, I don't see it explaining the relevance of either Doug's All-Star quote or the webloggers quote to what Jacque said.

Still waiting...

Oh c'mon now. I know you're more intelligent than this...

I believe it's these 2 sentences that they are responding to:

Second, I've heard much more "We're the better team" crap coming from the South Side this year than from up here.

Third, we all know which team has talked more smack over the past 3 seasons (hint: they didn't win the division).

Hose and Foulke You are just pointing out the fact that the Sox have done hardly any smack talking this year and have receive just as much from the Twins the past 3 seasons.

Don't go around thinking that the Twins are a bunch of perfect little angels that never say bad things about anyone.

The quote from Meneqadlkfhjalk was a perfect example...

Kadafi311
05-24-2004, 03:05 PM
Jones also had this to say...

"That's the kind of lineup they have over there," said Minnesota right fielder Jacque Jones of the White Sox. "They have a little more speed than they've had in the past. Carlos Lee is swinging the bat.

"Magglio [Ordonez] is always consistent. Frank [Thomas] is starting to be the Frank of old and driving the ball all over the place. There's no one way you can pitch him right now. Konerko is starting to swing the bat like he can, and Uribe is like Juan Ruth right now. He's hitting the ball all over the place."

Sounds pretty damn respectful to me.

fhqwhgads
05-24-2004, 03:30 PM
Originally posted by Iwritecode
Hose and Foulke You are just pointing out the fact that the Sox have done hardly any smack talking this year and have receive just as much from the Twins the past 3 seasons.

If I wanted to pay for Tribune archives, I'd get the quote about Greisinger being lucky on 5/15, and not being good.

There's also the missing link between FY's example quotes that the Sun-Times felt was necessary to add: "Embarrassed losing to the first-place Twins? The same Twins who opened a season-high three-game lead over the Sox?" Exactly. Don't be embarrassed, just be ready to play the next day. It wasn't like they got blown out by the 2003 Tigers or something. That would be embarrassing.

Don't go around thinking that the Twins are a bunch of perfect little angels that never say bad things about anyone.

Far from it. The Mientkiewicz quote (although directed at the fans, not the team) is a good example.

The quote from Meneqadlkfhjalk was a perfect example...

Didn't I just say that? :D:

Iwritecode
05-24-2004, 03:31 PM
Originally posted by Kadafi311
Jones also had this to say...

Sounds pretty damn respectful to me.

Well, it only took the Sox pounding them in 3 out of 4 games to earn a little respect.

To be honest, I did read this earlier today and also remember another quote from a Twins player (I probably couldn't spell his name even if I did remember which one it was) earlier in the year that was something about how the Sox have had more talented teams than the Twins the past couple of years but just couldn't put it all together.

BUT, I've also heard a whole lot of trash-talk and/or whining from them the past few years also...

Iwritecode
05-24-2004, 03:39 PM
If I wanted to pay for Tribune archives, I'd get the quote about Greisinger being lucky on 5/15, and not being good.

There's also the missing link between FY's example quotes that the Sun-Times felt was necessary to add: "Embarrassed losing to the first-place Twins? The same Twins who opened a season-high three-game lead over the Sox?" Exactly. Don't be embarrassed, just be ready to play the next day. It wasn't like they got blown out by the 2003 Tigers or something. That would be embarrassing.

Uh, Seth wasn't even good enough for the 2003 Tigers. That's pathetic. They had plenty of reason to be embarassed.

Seth Greisinger, who hadn't won a game since May 19, 2002, spent last season at Class AAA in the Detroit organization after having elbow surgery in 1999 and walked onto the U.S. Cellular Field mound carrying a 6.87 ERA.

I'd say that the quote about Seth being lucky is more stating a fact than "trash talk"...

ma-gaga
05-24-2004, 04:10 PM
Originally posted by Foulke You
Guillen said. ''Obviously, they have a good team, but man-for-man, we should be embarrassed.''
This is typical to how Twins players react to anything that is said and it is getting old.

I agree, it is old and the Twin Cities media is perpetuating it. I think the media has really tried to advance this rivalry without good justification. If there's no story, someone creates it. The Chicago media may have 'started it', but the stupid Twin Cities reporters fell for this, hook, line and sinker.

Then again, there's the quote from Guillen. "Man-for-man we should be embarrassed". That's a direct slam at the Twins. Maybe there's motivation there, maybe there's frustration there. Maybe he was misquoted after two bad games... Who knows. The problem is that every Twin Cities reporter looks for any subtle slam at the Twins to perpetuate this 'disrespect' myth.

Obviously, I haven't heard one peep that Guillen said the Twins were the team to beat. We don't have big enough reporters.

Foulke You
05-24-2004, 04:41 PM

I purposely left out the "embarassed losing to the first place Twins?" quote because it wasn't something Ozzie said, it was something the Sun-Times writer wrote himself. Ozzie was frustrated and the "embarassed" part was all about the pathetic Sox offense on display that Friday and Saturday. The Sun-Times felt it necessary to add the "embarassed losing to the first place Twins?"quote probably because, as Ma-Gaga pointed out the media in both towns try to stir up this rivalry. Most likely because it sells more papers and creates more interest. Hunter's response, in my opinion, was directed at Ozzie's quote unless the writer of the article mislead him.

Saracen
05-24-2004, 08:10 PM
I'll tell you what DOES piss me off. I was just watching the local news here in Dallas, and the sportscaster said "The Rangers have just got done playing the Yankees & Red Sox. Now they have to go on the road to play some really bad teams, starting in Chicago."

Then they cut to pitcher RA Dickey saying "We have to take these games one at a time, and not just look ahead to visiting New York at the end of the road trip."

batmanZoSo
05-24-2004, 08:17 PM
Originally posted by Saracen
I'll tell you what DOES piss me off. I was just watching the local news here in Dallas, and the sportscaster said "The Rangers have just got done playing the Yankees & Red Sox. Now they have to go on the road to play some really bad teams, starting in Chicago."

Then they cut to pitcher RA Dickey saying "We have to take these games one at a time, and not just look ahead to visiting New York at the end of the road trip."

Texas has got a date with Earth this week.

South Side
05-24-2004, 08:36 PM

That comment will make it all the nicer to pound on the Rangers a bit...

Railsplitter
05-24-2004, 10:24 PM

No offense saracen, but that statement leads me to believe all anybody knows about in Dallas is football.

WhiteSox = Life
05-24-2004, 11:13 PM

Well, perhaps he and/or she meant, to quote Run DMC, "not bad meaning bad, but bad meaning good!"

:cool:

RedPinStripes
05-25-2004, 12:19 AM

Remember that series before the break last year vs. the Twins ?They threw at him all weekend. LOL! They had to sit his ass on Sunday so he didnt get drilled again.