PDA

View Full Version : My brother the cubs fan

SSPinStripes
05-23-2004, 11:37 PM
Me and my step brother are two opposite people. I drink (occasionally), he smokes pot (a lot). Hes fat, I'm skinny. Hes a cubs fan, and I'm a Sox fan. Now, when we get in baseball arguments about the two teams, he always says that the White Sox are not playoff material. He says that "offense wins games, defense wins championships", I guess by that he means the Sox are nothing but bats. Also, while defending the Cubs, he says how much better wriggly field is and how its nice not to get mugged after every game.
Figuring that this is the best white sox bias community around, I figure maybe you guys can give me some arguments on how to debunk his Cubbie philosophy. That is all.

pearso66
05-23-2004, 11:39 PM
Just bring up game 6 when Alex Gonzalez booted that double play ball, and say if the White Sox arent championship material because of defense, they definitally arent.

Also, shouldnt this be in the PL?

Cubbiesuck13
05-23-2004, 11:42 PM
tell him that it is better to have a chance to offer up you money and watch and cell phone than to just get shot straight up.

as far as D goes, i am sure you bro is a ShaME fan, ask about his D. they really can't brag about D there either.

beckett21
05-24-2004, 12:17 AM
Refer to any Hangar 18 thread. He is the resident philosopher in such matters.

doublem23
05-24-2004, 12:27 AM
If he's a Cub fan, he's got a three-inch layer of cement around his brain, blocking any incoming information that might be anti-Cub, anti-Wrigley, or pro-Sox, so don't even bother.

elrod
05-24-2004, 12:33 AM
Ask about Kerry Wood's perforance in Game Seven of the NLCS last year. Championship performance? Or about Prior's meltdown after Bartman and Gonzalez did their magic. The Cubs have some great starting pitchers. And they got a few good outings in the playoffs, especially in the NLDS. But with a 3-1 series lead against Florida they couldn't close the deal. It wasn't the Cubs bats that fell silent either. The hitters were on fire all postseason. But the pitching collapsed in the end. The Cubs have a big hurdle to jump to become a championship team.

batmanZoSo
05-24-2004, 12:57 AM
Originally posted by SSPinStripes
Me and my step brother are two opposite people. I drink (occasionally), he smokes pot (a lot). Hes fat, I'm skinny. Hes a cubs fan, and I'm a Sox fan. Now, when we get in baseball arguments about the two teams, he always says that the White Sox are not playoff material. He says that "offense wins games, defense wins championships", I guess by that he means the Sox are nothing but bats. Also, while defending the Cubs, he says how much better wriggly field is and how its nice not to get mugged after every game.
Figuring that this is the best white sox bias community around, I figure maybe you guys can give me some arguments on how to debunk his Cubbie philosophy. That is all.

Tell him the Sox defense is better than the cubs, which it is. We beat them at every infield position plus right field.

And defense costs you championships (a gonz).

WSox8404
05-24-2004, 01:02 AM
If you are so big of a Sox fan, can't come up with your own stuff?

jabrch
05-24-2004, 01:14 AM
Originally posted by batmanZoSo
Tell him the Sox defense is better than the cubs, which it is. We beat them at every infield position plus right field.

And defense costs you championships (a gonz).

They have us at 1B for sure. D. Lee is a GGer. And we have them at LF. (Alou is terrible defensively)

White_Sock
05-24-2004, 01:16 AM
Also, while defending the Cubs, he says how much better wriggly field is and how its nice not to get mugged after every game.

HEEELLLOooOO

Some guy got shot and killed in front of Wrigley like 2 weeks ago. You tell him about the crime rates from both areas and that there's much more crime in Wrigleyville (Lakeview ). But then again:

If he's a Cub fan, he's got a three-inch layer of cement around his brain, blocking any incoming information that might be anti-Cub, anti-Wrigley, or pro-Sox, so don't even bother.

Doublem is right. Your brother is probably mildly retarded when
presented with valid reasoning of any sort. After all, he is a Cub fan.

nasox
05-24-2004, 02:23 AM
Originally posted by WSox8404
If you are so big of a Sox fan, can't come up with your own stuff?

jeez, what a rude post. He wants help, so give it to him. That kind of personal attack is not warranted. Just because he wants a good rebuttal you question his sox allegiance? Sounds like something a few morons would do a couple miles north of the cell.