PDA

View Full Version : Quote of The Day 5/23

Lip Man 1
05-23-2004, 09:52 PM
From White Sox. com: "This is a weird team. When we score, we score 15, and then we don't score any for the next two days." --Ozzie Guillen.

Lip

RedPinStripes
05-23-2004, 09:53 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
From White Sox. com: "This is a weird team. When we score, we score 15, and then we don't score any for the next two days." --Ozzie Guillen.

Lip

:ozzie
"Winning in fung"

MRKARNO
05-23-2004, 09:55 PM
Ozzie isn't afraid to talk pretty candidly about the team and I really like that. It is pretty weird that we're so inconsistant, but over the past few years we've been consistantly inconsistant, but it seems that we're starting to hit this year a lot earlier than in previous years, which will help us a lot down the line.

TornLabrum
05-23-2004, 09:57 PM
Originally posted by MRKARNO
Ozzie isn't afraid to talk pretty candidly about the team and I really like that. It is pretty weird that we're so inconsistant, but over the past few years we've been consistantly inconsistant, but it seems that we're starting to hit this year a lot earlier than in previous years, which will help us a lot down the line.

It's the fact that the bats are coming around before July that is making this season loads of fung.

1951Campbell
05-23-2004, 09:59 PM
This hit-and-miss thing with scoring could be very, very scary in a seven game series. I'm just sayin' is all.

OEO Magglio
05-23-2004, 10:02 PM
Originally posted by 1951Campbell
This hit-and-miss thing with scoring could be very, very scary in a seven game series. I'm just sayin' is all.
Even with the 5th starter vacancy, that's still my main concern with this team, I just don't know if they can stay consistant, not even talking about the playoffs yet, just down the stretch when they're in a pennant chase.

1951Campbell
05-23-2004, 10:06 PM
Originally posted by OEO Magglio
Even with the 5th starter vacancy, that's still my main concern with this team, I just don't know if they can stay consistant, not even talking about the playoffs yet, just down the stretch when they're in a pennant chase.

Yes, the pennant chase thing is a good point as well. I know baseball is a quirky game and the runs come in quirky batches, but it seems like the Sox are taking "feast or famine" to new heights. It's not cool to average 9 runs a game if game 1 yields 1 run and game two yields 17.

OEO Magglio
05-23-2004, 10:11 PM
Originally posted by 1951Campbell
Yes, the pennant chase thing is a good point as well. I know baseball is a quirky game and the runs come in quirky batches, but it seems like the Sox are taking "feast or famine" to new heights. It's not cool to average 9 runs a game if game 1 yields 1 run and game two yields 17.
Exactly I'm obviously not expecting the sox to score this many runs every game, but their offense needs to get some consistancy. Not only that but if the sox are playing against an ace type pitcher they have to execute with runners in scoring position, if this team can put together a consistant offense they will win this division, 5th starter or no 5th starter imo. That being said they still need to go out and look for a guy to fill the other rotation vacancy. Preferably it would be great to get a Randy Johnson type but that probably isn't going to happen so I'd even be happy with a 4th or 5th starter just to atleast keep them in the game.

batmanZoSo
05-23-2004, 10:16 PM
Originally posted by OEO Magglio
Exactly I'm obviously not expecting the sox to score this many runs every game, but their offense needs to get some consistancy. Not only that but if the sox are playing against an ace type pitcher they have to execute with runners in scoring position, if this team can put together a consistant offense they will win this division, 5th starter or no 5th starter imo. That being said they still need to go out and look for a guy to fill the other rotation vacancy. Preferably it would be great to get a Randy Johnson type but that probably isn't going to happen so I'd even be happy with a 4th or 5th starter just to atleast keep them in the game.

They've been consistently awesome the last week. Whenever you score 10 or 12--especially in consecutive days--you're gonna get shut down. The fact that they bounced back and set the bar yet again is outstanding. How many runs did you expect today? 3 or 4 probably..I know I did.

WinningUgly!
05-23-2004, 10:18 PM
Originally posted by MRKARNO

One thing this team has been consistant with, is winning on getaway days. The Sox are now 12-2 in the final game of a series. Last season at this point, they were only 8-7. Ozzie certainly deserves some serious credit for this.

OEO Magglio
05-23-2004, 10:22 PM
Originally posted by batmanZoSo
They've been consistently awesome the last week.
That says it all, they've been awesome this week. I'm saying they need to be able to not go on huge droughts throughout the season where they can't score any runs because that happened last year, has already happened this year, and I'm afraid it will happen again.

Palehose13
05-23-2004, 10:22 PM
Originally posted by batmanZoSo
They've been consistently awesome the last week. Whenever you score 10 or 12--especially in consecutive days--you're gonna get shut down. The fact that they bounced back and set the bar yet again is outstanding. How many runs did you expect today? 3 or 4 probably..I know I did.

I was thinking the same thing. This past week the scores were:

11-0
2-7
4-2
15-3
10-3
8-2
1-9
17-7

I can handle 2 "off" days offensively if they are winning the majority of the games. Before it seemed like they wouldn't score for a week and then have a blow out and then not score for another couple of days. I see this last week as progress!

BearSox
05-23-2004, 10:26 PM
Originally posted by WinningUgly!
One thing this team has been consistant with, is winning on getaway days. The Sox are now 12-2 in the final game of a series. Last season at this point, they were only 8-7. Ozzie certainly deserves some serious credit for this.

So we're in good shape for game 7 of the world series it looks like! I'd consider that a getaway day. :D:

pearso66
05-23-2004, 10:37 PM
or maybe game 2 5 and 7, as those would be the days we leave one town and go to the next. :)