PDA

View Full Version : Danny Wright News

Lip Man 1
05-23-2004, 10:41 PM
According to the Chicago Tribune: ..."Wright is going to be sidelined for a while and then re-evaluated by Dr. James Andrews. If he has surgery on both his shoulder and elbow, he could be out two years."

Should this happen I think we can all assume his career (at least with the Sox is over...)

Lip

MRKARNO
05-23-2004, 10:46 PM
Yeah nothing seems to be going well for him. I hope that he's able to make a comeback in some form down the road.

pearso66
05-23-2004, 10:59 PM
wow on both his shoulder and elbow? man that guy was more messed up than we thought.

Brian26
05-23-2004, 11:01 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
Should this happen I think we can all assume his career (at least with the Sox is over...)

Lip

Do you attribute this to the Nardi regime? Wright did in fact get hurt when Nardi was still here, right? Do you throw him in with guys like Sirotka, Parque, Baldwin, Simas, Eldred, Howry, Rauch, with the arm injuries?

pearso66
05-23-2004, 11:02 PM
I wouldnt put Eldred in that list, as he's always had arm troubles. It was only a matter of time before he broke down again.

CubKilla
05-23-2004, 11:02 PM
According to the Chicago Tribune: ..."Wright is going to be sidelined for a while and then re-evaluated by Dr. James Andrews. If he has surgery on both his shoulder and elbow, he could be out two years."

Lip

Good riddance Danny Wrong. While I hate to see anyone suffer career threatening injuries, at least Danny Wrong won't be taking up roster space for some time with management hoping for the 7 games-in-a-row winning Wrong of late '02.

Tragg
05-23-2004, 11:04 PM

Lip

That's a shame- he didn't pitch well for us but don't want to see him go out that way.

TaylorStSox
05-23-2004, 11:05 PM
Originally posted by CubKilla
Good riddance Danny Wrong. While I hate to see anyone suffer career threatening injuries, at least Danny Wrong won't be taking up roster space for some time with management hoping for the 7 games-in-a-row winning Wrong of late '02.

Good riddance? What a moronic post. That shouldn't be surprising from a guy named "cubkilla."

SD Scott 7
05-23-2004, 11:06 PM
I put the blame on Jerry Manuel for this injury. He completely misused Danny Wright the last two years. Danny Wright was shuffled in and out of the fifth starters spot, and was never able to build up enough arm strength. Thus, he lost approximately seven miles per hour off his fast ball since his debut with the Sox. Ozzie Guillen had the right idea last night with Neal Cotts. Because Neal wasn't used to being a starter every fifth day, he was used sparingly.

In my opinion, Danny Wright should have never been a starter. He belonged in the pen as a middle relief man and possibly someday a closer. Best of luck to Wright.

danjames
05-23-2004, 11:08 PM
All of this makes me wonder just a few things.

I believe it was last year when Danny told the Sox he wasn't feeling so well, and was it KW or JM who told him that a major league pitcher knows how to pitch with little achs and pains?

After that, they ran some tests and found that Wright didn't have anything wrong with him, so it was thought that he just needed to buck up.

Now suddenly he has severe elbow and shoulder injuries? I'm not sure what to think. Did JM/KW ignore bad test results for Wright in the first place? Could something like this really develop so suddenly?

CubKilla
05-23-2004, 11:08 PM
Originally posted by TaylorStSox
Good riddance? What a moronic post. That shouldn't be surprising from a guy named "cubkilla."

What's your problem? And when does my SN have anything to with what I posted?

Brian26
05-23-2004, 11:10 PM
With the number of walks Wright threw, I don't think he'd ever work as a closer.

TaylorStSox
05-23-2004, 11:12 PM
What's your problem? And when does my SN have anything to with what I posted?

Good riddance to a guy that has been in our organization his entire career. Sure he wasn't very successful, but to say good riddance to a career threatening injury is in piss poor taste. The same thing as a SN like Cubkilla.

beckett21
05-23-2004, 11:14 PM
Sad news about Wright. This to me vindicates him and shows that he was out there doing his best and not bitching about being injured. He took his beatings and overwhelming criticism with class. I defy anyone to handle the adversity he did while he was here with as much dignity.

I'm sure he already feels bad enough that his career is over for all intents and purposes. No need to pile on him here.

CubKilla
05-23-2004, 11:15 PM
First off..... CubKilla is a nickname bestowed upon me by a few Sox fans during a Sox/Cubs game in '01. I didn't choose it.

And secondly..... you should have read past the first two words of my original post where I stated, and I quote, "While I hate to see ANYONE suffer career threatening injuries....."

It's not wise to speak about things you have no idea about. Have a nice day :)

TaylorStSox
05-23-2004, 11:17 PM
A disclaimer doesn't absolve the fact that it was an idiotic statement. I'm sorry but it's ridiculous to say that sort of thing about a guy we drafted and spent his entire career in the organization.

batmanZoSo
05-23-2004, 11:23 PM
A disclaimer doesn't absolve the fact that it was an idiotic statement. I'm sorry but it's ridiculous to say that sort of thing about a guy we drafted and spent his entire career in the organization.

I don't get that...would it be okay if the same thing happened to Schoeneweis who just got here recently?

TaylorStSox
05-23-2004, 11:27 PM
Originally posted by batmanZoSo
I don't get that...would it be okay if the same thing happened to Schoeneweis who just got here recently?

Not at all, but I'd expect even more compassion for a guy that came up through the system. Maybe it's more the case for people that follow the minors closely and enjoy seeing players develop. I didn't follow Sho's career so it's a little different.

Ruth Uribe
05-23-2004, 11:42 PM
A disclaimer doesn't absolve the fact that it was an idiotic statement. I'm sorry but it's ridiculous to say that sort of thing about a guy we drafted and spent his entire career in the organization. :troll

TaylorStSox
05-23-2004, 11:44 PM
Originally posted by Ruth Uribe
:troll

Interesting. So I'm a cub troll for getting upset for somebody saying "good riddance" to a guy having major arm issues? A guy that WE drafted in the 2nd round of 99.

Very interesting.

MRKARNO
05-23-2004, 11:47 PM
Interesting. So I'm a cub troll for getting upset for somebody saying "good riddance" to a guy having major arm issues? A guy that WE drafted in the 2nd round of 99.

Very interesting.

No, but what you're saying is pretty horrible. This guy is about to undergo surgery that could end his major league career and you're saying good riddance. Danny Wright has worked nearly his entire life in order to try and be a major league pitcher and now his career is in serious jeopardy and you say "Good Riddance." That's terrible IMO.

TaylorStSox
05-23-2004, 11:49 PM
Originally posted by MRKARNO
No, but what you're saying is pretty horrible. This guy is about to undergo surgery that could end his major league career and you're saying good riddance. Danny Wright has worked nearly his entire life in order to try and be a major league pitcher and now his career is in serious jeopardy and you say "Good Riddance." That's terrible IMO.

Read the thread. I wasn't saying good riddance. I was defending Danny Wright after Cubkilla said good riddance.

Ruth Uribe
05-23-2004, 11:53 PM
Read the thread. I wasn't saying good riddance. I was defending Danny Wright after Cubkilla said good riddance.

http://www.cincinnatiobservatory.org/latespring/door.jpg

pearso66
05-23-2004, 11:59 PM
I don't think Taylor is a troll or deserves the door for what he said. Granted SS shouldnt be thuoght of any less if he had a career threatening injury, but he was standing up for Wright. I think he didnt mean anything bad towards SS or anyone who hasnt spent their whole career on the Sox, but was saying how could you say good riddance to a guy who has done nothing but try hard for our team his whole career.

Cubbiesuck13
05-24-2004, 12:04 AM
how soon we forget! he won 14 games for us one year! he has been awfull ever since but apparently that is because he has been hurting. no way does two injuries pop up out of the air. this is something that has been there for a while.

the world may never know if jm and kw knew that his arm would get worse when they did the test. i hope not.

lowesox
05-24-2004, 12:06 AM
And secondly..... you should have read past the first two words of my original post where I stated, and I quote, "While I hate to see ANYONE suffer career threatening injuries....."

I agree that it was an ignorant thing to say, disclaimer or no. Here's a guy who probably will never play in the majors again, who never made the big paycheck he can live off of his career (although he did make a reasonable amount), and who now faces a gruelling up hill battle.

One other thing to consider. Wright pitched lights out in spring training, and as was posted here earlier, complained about pain last year. Is it possible that he went all out this spring even though he was damaged physically? If so, that's a lot of heart. We should all be feeling ****ty about posting some awful stuff about this guy, instead of telling him good riddance.

Hopefully, he'll be able to come back - maybe as a closer.

TaylorStSox
05-24-2004, 12:08 AM
Originally posted by lowesox
I agree that it was an ignorant thing to say, disclaimer or no. Here's a guy who probably will never play in the majors again, who never made the big paycheck he can live off of his career (although he did make a reasonable amount), and who now faces a gruelling up hill battle.

One other thing to consider. Wright pitched lights out in spring training, and as was posted here earlier, complained about pain last year. Is it possible that he went all out this spring even though he was damaged physically? If so, that's a lot of heart. We should all be feeling ****ty about posting some awful stuff about this guy, instead of telling him good riddance.

Hopefully, he'll be able to come back - maybe as a closer.

Thank you!!!! I tried, but couldn't communicate it that well.

Watch what you say though, some people might call you a Cub troll. :?:

MRKARNO
05-24-2004, 12:09 AM

Sorry sorry! Well, what I said to you, I say to CubKilla

Cubbiesuck13
05-24-2004, 12:12 AM
Originally posted by MRKARNO
Sorry sorry! Well, what I said to you, I say to CubKilla

perhaps he meant good riddance he wont be in the rotation anymore, sadly due to the fact that it is an injury.

i will miss wright, i always thought he would put it together.

SoxxoS
05-24-2004, 12:52 AM
As long as it's not a torn labrum, which is the demise of 80% of pitchers...and he needs Tommy John (which some pitchers are requesting, now... :o: ) he can definitely come back after two years.

The labrum is key, b/c hardly anyone comes back from that.

lowesox
05-24-2004, 12:59 AM
How many more years is he under contract with the Sox. Just wondering if he would be trying to make his comeback in one of our uniforms.

jeremyb1
05-24-2004, 02:22 AM
Originally posted by SD Scott 7
I put the blame on Jerry Manuel for this injury. He completely misused Danny Wright the last two years. Danny Wright was shuffled in and out of the fifth starters spot, and was never able to build up enough arm strength. Thus, he lost approximately seven miles per hour off his fast ball since his debut with the Sox. Ozzie Guillen had the right idea last night with Neal Cotts. Because Neal wasn't used to being a starter every fifth day, he was used sparingly.

I don't think there's any foundation to any of this. Wright only pitched 6 relief outing in his entire major league career, one of which came in his debut in '01 with the other five coming last season. With that in mind I'm assuming the alledged absue occured last season. We can check that out using ESPN.com's game log for Wright from '03.

Last season Wright was called up on May 9th having previously worked as a starter in Charlotte and at first worked as a starter. He was demoted from his starting role after his August 2nd start and made his first relief appearance on the 9th throwing one inning and 14 pitches. He then pitched in relief again on the 12th and the 16th of August this time for long stints throwing 73 and 65 pitches. On the 23rd he threw 38 pitches in relief and on the 28th he threw 63 in his final relief start.

Any abuse would've occured from having Wright throw a lot of pitches when he no longer had the stamina to go deep since he'd be working in the pen. Since aside from one outing he never threw fewer than 39 pitches it was as though he continued working as a starter all along. The gaps between outings (7 days, 3 days, 4 days, 8 days, then 5 days) don't seem to be particularly inappropriate considering the fact that he was throwing a lot of pitches in his starts. I don't really see what could've been done differently by JM (and Cooper for that matter who probably had even more say) to better protect his arm.

nasox
05-24-2004, 02:28 AM
Originally posted by SoxxoS
As long as it's not a torn labrum, which is the demise of 80% of pitchers...and he needs Tommy John (which some pitchers are requesting, now... :o: ) he can definitely come back after two years.

The labrum is key, b/c hardly anyone comes back from that.

Yes, he can definitely come back within two years, but it'll be two years before he can pitch effectively-that is saying that he can pitch effectively.

StockdaleForVeep
05-24-2004, 03:43 AM
Anyone got the rolladex with Mike sirotka's or JB's number handy? Im guessin wright may need to take some rehab notes from them.

owensmouth
05-24-2004, 07:34 AM
According to the Daily Herald, Danny Wright has some "pathology" to his shoulder, whatever that means. He does not have a torn labrum or a torn rotator cuff.

According to Herm Schneider it isn't necessarily too bad, basically normal wear and tear for a person that tries to throw a baseball at 90 miles per hour or more.

He also has some wear on his ligament in his elbow, but it's far from completely torn. Again, it's pretty much normal wear for a pitcher.

He has some soreness and pain, but nothing that demands surgery. Possibly just shutting it down will allow the pain to subside.

People react to pain differently and with pitchers, some will just pitch through it while for others, it'll cause them to change.

Anyone elso remember the pictures of Kofax with his arm in a bucket of ice water after his starts?

There may be some bone spurs and/or chips in his elbow, but again, nothing that is unusual for a pitcher.

The article sounded optimistic. I just hope it's accurate. I don't want a repeat of the Sirotka incident.

Lip Man 1
05-24-2004, 12:54 PM
Remember (this is for the poster who was asking) that when Wright got hurt in spring training last year, after the Sox doctors said he was OK, Danny balked and insisted on seeing Dr. Andrews himself. After examining him Andrews said Wright was fine.

Something had to happen either later in the 2003 or perhaps in the off season as Danny was working out.

Lip

iwannago
05-24-2004, 02:05 PM
I find this situation to be quite concerning. IMO for starters the Sox DR's couldn't find anything wrong with Sirotka and now Wright. Perhaps Parque and Bere were also in the misdiagnose mix. Just wondering.