PDA

View Full Version : We've got a bench...

Tragg
05-23-2004, 10:04 PM
That's a big difference this year- Uribe, Gload and Perez (and of course Sandy) have all had solid PT. Maybe it's because Ozzie is more willing to use his bench than JM was; maybe it's because these guys are producing while JM was stuck with LIefer; maybe it's because the little injuries have forced these guys into the lineup.

Whatever- Oz has options to allow him to keep everyone happy and fresh. We could still use a real good lefty stick (and a CF) but so far so good.

batmanZoSo
05-23-2004, 10:08 PM
Originally posted by Tragg
That's a big difference this year- Uribe, Gload and Perez (and of course Sandy) have all had solid PT. Maybe it's because Ozzie is more willing to use his bench than JM was; maybe it's because these guys are producing while JM was stuck with LIefer; maybe it's because the little injuries have forced these guys into the lineup.

Whatever- Oz has options to allow him to keep everyone happy and fresh. We could still use a real good lefty stick (and a CF) but so far so good.

Uribe is not a bench player. Harris is a fine swing man. Uribe is our starting second baseman and will be our starting shorstop when Valentin's gone next year.

But we do have a great bench for an American League team. Perez has been pretty good the last few days, Alomar is a pretty clutch hitter and great with the pitching staff, Gload can play left, right or first when needed and can hit.

The reason our bench guys get a lot of playing time is because we have a surplus of middle infielders and no clear cut center fielder. And with catching, neither Olivo nor Alomar are every day players at this point. Olivo will be, but it helps to have Sandy around too. Timo never gets playing time except now with Harris injured.

delben91
05-23-2004, 10:10 PM
Got to give KW credit for getting Gload and Perez. He did nicely in filling out the bench.

MRKARNO
05-23-2004, 10:17 PM
I read somewhere that we were probably going to have one of the worst benches in the majors this year. That'll show whoever wrote that.

nasox
05-23-2004, 10:36 PM
Originally posted by MRKARNO
I read somewhere that we were probably going to have one of the worst benches in the majors this year. That'll show whoever wrote that.

A lot of people were saying that. Peter Gammons said that, and our weak bullpen, was going to be the reason that we would finish third in the division. Then again gammons is dumbass and we all know that.

MRKARNO
05-23-2004, 10:49 PM
Originally posted by nasox
A lot of people were saying that. Peter Gammons said that, and our weak bullpen, was going to be the reason that we would finish third in the division. Then again gammons is dumbass and we all know that.

I guess that these were the same people picking the Royals to win the division and we all know how that's going so far this year...

How could they be so blind as to not see the clear inadequacies of their pitching staff??? It was disucssed a lot here, by me at least that they just dont have the pitching to compete with the Sox or the Twins. Maybe I should get paid the big bucks to write in place of these experts....

CubKilla
05-23-2004, 10:55 PM
Originally posted by Tragg
Maybe it's because Ozzie is more willing to use his bench than JM was; maybe it's because these guys are producing while JM was stuck with LIefer

Are you kidding me? With a different line-up practically everyday under JM's latter managerial term, the bench guys were starting 2-3 times a week..... maybe not in the same position they were used to playing (i.e., Daubach in RF), but they were getting starts nonetheless.

batmanZoSo
05-23-2004, 11:20 PM
I guess that these were the same people picking the Royals to win the division and we all know how that's going so far this year...

How could they be so blind as to not see the clear inadequacies of their pitching staff??? It was disucssed a lot here, by me at least that they just dont have the pitching to compete with the Sox or the Twins. Maybe I should get paid the big bucks to write in place of these experts....

They have no pitching at all. I can see them just falling off the map like the Royals did last year. They've made it this far with guts, but that might run out. For the most part they didn't look like they belonged on the same field as us. That could happen, but this isn't just any team we're talking about. If any team could stay in the race all year with marginal talent, it's them.

Ruth Uribe
05-24-2004, 12:21 AM
Gload is the best left-handed bat off our bench in a long time.

Navaro's Talent
05-24-2004, 12:24 AM
Yeah, we have a great bench. Gload is a top-notch left-handed bench hitter. Perez has been swinging the bat well lately. Even Dransdfelt, before he was sent back down, was batting .333 with a few key hits.

JRIG
05-24-2004, 12:37 AM

Ummm...I believe I wrote that.

And I'll admit, thus far I've been wrong. Uribe has been so much better than expected, Gload has shown something and Alomar hasn't fallen apart yet.

That said, it is early, and I'd like to see better options than Gload and Perez in the late innings. This is far from the biggest problem we have though.

lowesox
05-24-2004, 12:49 AM
Very true. I'm one of the biggest KW critics, but I gotta hand it to him. He put together what looks like a decent team - with very little money.