PDA

View Full Version : Good too see

doublem23
09-17-2001, 12:31 AM
Good to see the site's familiar 2001 frontpage is back. This weekend is definately the turning point from shock to normalcy. As unfortunate as it is to say, in a few months, we will all have forgotten about the tragic events of 9-11-01.

I commend the site on how it handled the whole tradegy. But, now, life must go on. From the ashes of the World Trade Center, the American phoenix will rise again...

NUCatsFan
09-17-2001, 01:06 AM
Not so sure you meant "forgotten about the events", doublem. Perhaps you meant more of "accepted the situation"? I don't think those who lived through Pearl Harbor forgot the events there. But they dealt with it and accepted it.

CubKiller
09-17-2001, 12:01 PM
Originally posted by doublem23
...in a few months, we will all have forgotten about the tragic events of 9-11-01...

Is this really what you meant to say...? I had to re-read your post about 10 times because I couldn't believe it.

Speak for yourself, doublem. I think you'll have trouble finding people who agree with your statement.

Bmr31
09-17-2001, 12:08 PM
Originally posted by CubKiller

Is this really what you meant to say...? I had to re-read your post about 10 times because I couldn't believe it.

Speak for yourself, doublem. I think you'll have trouble finding people who agree with your statement.

None of us will ever forget that day, ESPECIALLY those who had loved ones who died........

Dadawg_77
09-17-2001, 12:21 PM
I think doublem23 ment was the events of 9-11-01, will no longer occupy the same place in our thoughts as it does now. It will remained etched in our memories, but will no longer be on the front of minds or tounges. That is just the way it works, we won't forget but we will not remeber it all the time, thats is how we as humans heal.

idseer
09-17-2001, 03:08 PM
Originally posted by doublem23
in a few months, we will all have forgotten about the tragic events of 9-11-01.

i find it hard to believe, with all that has gone on on this message board, with all the grief doublem received for what most everyone else perceived as ignorant statements, that he could now make a statement like this one.
it's quite clear what he said here, and it's not up to others to 'interpret'.
after all is said and done, doublem has shown he's not capable of understanding this tragic event.

voodoochile
09-17-2001, 03:16 PM
How can America ever forget that day? Everytime you see a postcard or an old photo of NY it will be pounded into your head. Someday little kids will ask what happened to the tall buildings in the picture. This is an event unlike any other in American history because of the graphic brutality of it AND the way it was captured on disc. The images will forever be implanted in our brains...

Hopefully we do not forget the lessons we must learn and do manage to maintain the higher security that is required for a safer country. Hopefully that is what he meant, if not, IDSEER is 100% correct and the kid has no understanding of the significance of that day. Smart or not, this is not a moment in history that will be glossed over. It isn't some Stephen Spielberg film. It is life and in this case death. 1000's of dead people. Have we become so desensatized to violence that we shrug and walk away? Not this time and hopefully never again...

Spiff
09-17-2001, 03:54 PM
Oh yes I'm sure that's what meant. He wants to erase it from his memory and forget it ever happened because it's so insignificant.

Use some common sense before you go picking fights.

voodoochile
09-17-2001, 04:13 PM
Originally posted by Wh1teSox00
Oh yes I'm sure that's what meant. He wants to erase it from his memory and forget it ever happened because it's so insignificant.

Use some common sense before you go picking fights.

Hey, I was defending the kid, agreeing with the other posters that he probably was refering to the actions that will be taken to respond to the event. But, as I pointed out if he doesn't mean that then he has a lot to learn. Read the posts and then take your own advice. DoubleM for all of his intelligence and grasp of philisophical issues HAS shown a tendency to see the world the way it ought to be, and not the way it is. While that is all well and good for the most part, it isn't grounded in the events of the day at all and the above post seems to be more of the same if you read it that way.

Maybe you should stop worrying about what you think he is trying to say and let him speak for himself. The starter post to this thread can be interpreted as highly offensive to many people. He needs to see that and explain what he meant, not have his friends defend him when he puts his foot in his mouth for the 1000th plus time...

LongDistanceFan
09-17-2001, 04:24 PM

Use some common sense before you go picking fights. how much is he paying you to be his mouth piece?

Spiff
09-17-2001, 04:30 PM
It's hard for him to defend himself when he's not even on the board.

Also, I know you weren't attacking him, voodoo, but it seems like people in this country walk around waiting to be offended by something. And yeh, maybe he's more idealist than the rest of us, but I don't think an idealist would just say 'oh well, now that we have baseball we can forget all those people.'

I can't know what he meant, but I have a good idea what he meant.

FarWestChicago
09-17-2001, 04:37 PM
but it seems like people in this country walk around waiting to be offended by something. Of course, that was one of the most offensive things I have ever read. I also think I know what the little rascal meant, but what he typed was outrageous.

ma-gaga
09-17-2001, 04:41 PM
Originally posted by FarWestChicago
Of course, that was one of the most offensive things I have ever read. I also think I know what the little rascal meant, but what he typed was outrageous.

The use of the word 'Rascal' is offensive to me.

FarWestChicago
09-17-2001, 04:43 PM
Originally posted by ma-gaga

The use of the word 'Rascal' is offensive to me. It's a tough world out there.

voodoochile
09-17-2001, 04:45 PM
It's hard for him to defend himself when he's not even on the board.

Also, I know you weren't attacking him, voodoo, but it seems like people in this country walk around waiting to be offended by something. And yeh, maybe he's more idealist than the rest of us, but I don't think an idealist would just say 'oh well, now that we have baseball we can forget all those people.'

I can't know what he meant, but I have a good idea what he meant.

I think so to, and if he is right and the country goes back to the sloppy security or people decide they want speed again instead of security then we have major problems.

I for one think he is dead wrong. This is a huge life shattering country altering event. Maybe you need to be older to grasp that, I don't know, and certainly age is no prerequisite for deep thought, and a grasp of reality. This will change more than America, this will change the world. Every country must now decide where it stands. Is it part of the world community, or does it want to be an outcast. Even the term "world community" is being drastically reshaped by this event. Cuba, China, Pakistan and other traditional American foes have all come out and condemned this act.

Man, I hate to be so dramatic, but if this blows up into WWIII (and right now I am 50/50 on that idea) it will be because some terrorist perpetrated a nuclear or biochemical incident or two (or 3 or 4...). That is when things get really scary, and the chance that there could be a planet without humans as we know them becomes a distint possiblity. Scary times ahead. Everyone can see it. This is a moment in the history of our species like none other. We sit at a cusp and the future is not written, God isn't coming to save us and our destiny is in our own hands.

This event will change everything, anyone who doesn't think so needs to better understand how "significant" it is... There hasn't been a foreign attack on the mainland in over 100 years... Pearl Harbor was a mindblowing event... This one was captured on film... What will the next few years bring for war on film images? More of the same? Here? Abroad? This was only the beginning... Strange days ahead for all of us...

Spiff
09-17-2001, 04:46 PM
Originally posted by FarWestChicago
Of course, that was one of the most offensive things I have ever read. I also think I know what the little rascal meant, but what he typed was outrageous.

Oh no doubt it sounded a bit off color. But I think you have to take into account the millions of posts where he said the opposite. I see your point though.

LongDistanceFan
09-17-2001, 05:43 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile

I think so to, and if he is right and the country goes back to the sloppy security or people decide they want speed again instead of security then we have major problems.

I for one think he is dead wrong. This is a huge life shattering country altering event. Maybe you need to be older to grasp that, I don't know, and certainly age is no prerequisite for deep thought, and a grasp of reality. This will change more than America, this will change the world. Every country must now decide where it stands. Is it part of the world community, or does it want to be an outcast. Even the term "world community" is being drastically reshaped by this event. Cuba, China, Pakistan and other traditional American foes have all come out and condemned this act.

Man, I hate to be so dramatic, but if this blows up into WWIII (and right now I am 50/50 on that idea) it will be because some terrorist perpetrated a nuclear or biochemical incident or two (or 3 or 4...). That is when things get really scary, and the chance that there could be a planet without humans as we know them becomes a distint possiblity. Scary times ahead. Everyone can see it. This is a moment in the history of our species like none other. We sit at a cusp and the future is not written, God isn't coming to save us and our destiny is in our own hands.

This event will change everything, anyone who doesn't think so needs to better understand how "significant" it is... There hasn't been a foreign attack on the mainland in over 100 years... Pearl Harbor was a mindblowing event... This one was captured on film... What will the next few years bring for war on film images? More of the same? Here? Abroad? This was only the beginning... Strange days ahead for all of us... Damn this was a good post

CerberusWG
09-17-2001, 05:47 PM
I'm pulling a Switzerland!

No comment!

doublem23
09-17-2001, 07:02 PM
ARGH.... Once again I suffer from an accute case of poor English. I didn't mean I'd forget what happened. Things like this get etched in one's memory. I just doubt that in a few months, I will dwell on what happened as much as I do now. Come to think of it, this was the first day since Tuesday I haven't heard anyone talk about it nor has it been on TV (yet).

My bad.