PDA

View Full Version : More good news...Borchard goes deep 3 times today

SoxxoS
05-23-2004, 06:33 PM
Details to follow as soon as I can find them.

Discuss:If he continues to hit like he has recently, is it time to bring him up? It's do or die time with him anyway, so I believe he deserves another shot.

chisoxfan79
05-23-2004, 06:43 PM
Just because of one good week does not mean we should bring him up. Lets see if he can maintin this pace for a linger period of time

BigEdWalsh
05-23-2004, 06:45 PM
Originally posted by SoxxoS

Discuss:If he continues to hit like he has recently, is it time to bring him up? It's do or die time with him anyway, so I believe he deserves another shot.

I think I'd like to see him be the first callup if one of the Sox outfielders go down. I mean Reed....I understand all the hoopla but his time will come (hopefully next year). Borchard may have gone deep 3 times today but he's still striking out an awful lot. I just don't know if he's ever going to be anything better than trade bait.

jabrch
05-23-2004, 06:47 PM
No reason to bring him up - nowhere to play him. I've liked the work Gload has done up here - he doesn't deserve to get sent down. If Borchard can keep it up for a month or so - and hit consistently, then we can bring him up for a bit to showcase him for a late-june trade, but I don't want him taking the ABs away from the guys who are doing it right now.

Win1ForMe
05-23-2004, 06:48 PM
Originally posted by SoxxoS

I wouldn't bring him up unless he plays everyday. And personally, I like the idea of a Timo/Rowand platoon for now.

TaylorStSox
05-23-2004, 07:06 PM
Originally posted by BigEdWalsh
I think I'd like to see him be the first callup if one of the Sox outfielders go down. I mean Reed....I understand all the hoopla but his time will come (hopefully next year). Borchard may have gone deep 3 times today but he's still striking out an awful lot. I just don't know if he's ever going to be anything better than trade bait.

He's not striking out nearly as much as he was. He's driving in runs. He's a defensive upgrade and he hits from both sides of the plate. Plus, he'd have the best arm of any outfielder we have on the team right now.

The main problem with bringing him up is that there's nobody to send down. Unless, of course, we go with 1 fewer pitcher.

Now that I think about it, while Gload is certainly playing pretty well, Borchard is STILL in our future plans. We have 2 first basemen. Gload's been playing alot of outfield. I'd be willing to trade Borchard for Gload on the roster. I'd put Borchard in the field everyday and make Rowand the 4a and Timo the 4b OF's.

Navaro's Talent
05-23-2004, 07:08 PM
I don't think the Sox will be bringing any one up anytime soon. I think they will stick with Cotts as the number 5 starter for at least a few more weeks and then see where they are then. If Cotts is doing well, they might be content with what they have. If they are not happy, expect a trade for Garcia. Borchard might be a part of that trade.

kermittheefrog
05-23-2004, 07:16 PM
If Borchard keeps hitting I say cut Perez and put Borchard in center.

TaylorStSox
05-23-2004, 07:19 PM
Originally posted by kermittheefrog
If Borchard keeps hitting I say cut Perez and put Borchard in center.

I agree with that too. I like Timo, but he's only needed for the LH bat. Borchard provides that and more.

duke of dorwood
05-23-2004, 07:25 PM
Originally posted by chisoxfan79
Just because of one good week does not mean we should bring him up. Lets see if he can maintin this pace for a linger period of time

What does this guy have to do? Bring him in-we need the left handed power he can provide.

A. Cavatica
05-23-2004, 07:42 PM
J Borchard RF 5 3 4 6 (3 HR, double)

Nice line!

It seems he and Reed (2 HR and a double on Friday) have a little competition going to earn that callup. Today Reed was 2-for-4 with a walk, a steal, and 2 runs scored.

I regret that I didn't see this game. I did see last night's, though. Charlotte won, 3-0, on a very cold night with the wind blowing in. Both of them looked pretty bad at the plate. (Reed did hit one fly to left center that would've gone out under normal conditions.)

I still think Reed's going to be the first called up, because he can get on base more reliably, but Joe's had two eye-opening games this week, and has a great arm. So this could play out a lot of different ways:

If ROWAND is injured or traded:
A) call up the hot bat, use him in Rowand's role;

If PEREZ is injured or traded:
B) call up the hot bat, use him in Perez's role;

If LEE is injured or traded:
C) call up the hot bat, use him in Lee's role; or
D) call up the hot bat, juggle players in left & center until something sticks; or
E) call up Borchard, play him in right, move Magglio to left (unlikely for political reasons, but makes more sense in the long term)

If ORDONEZ is injured or traded:
F) call up Borchard, play him in right; or
G) call up Reed, play him in center, move Rowand to right;

If KONERKO is injured or traded:
H) call up the hot bat for the bench, playing Gload (& maybe Frank) at first;
I) call up Reed and play him at first;
J) move Lee to first and use one of the scenarios above to replace Lee in left;

K) none of the above.

My bet's on Rowand or Lee opening up the spot and Reed taking it, i.e. (A) or (D).

A. Cavatica
05-23-2004, 07:45 PM
Oh, and FWIW, today's winning pitcher:

F Diaz (W,6-0) 7 4 3 3 3 7

jeremyb1
05-23-2004, 07:55 PM
Originally posted by duke of dorwood
What does this guy have to do? Bring him in-we need the left handed power he can provide.

Hit well for an extended period of time. It's not that much to ask. Virtually every prospect does before earning a callup. Borchard hasn't had a great stretch since he was in AA. This could be the beginning of one but we should wait and see. If he continues to post unbelievable numbers for several weeks or posts good numbers for 6 or 8 weeks then we should give it a try.

MRKARNO
05-23-2004, 07:56 PM
Originally posted by A. Cavatica
Oh, and FWIW, today's winning pitcher:

F Diaz (W,6-0) 7 4 3 3 3 7

Hopefully we'll acquire a Freddy Garcia type via trade and this info will be worthless.

joecrede
05-23-2004, 07:59 PM
Guesses, what current hitter does Borchard most closely profile to?

A. Cavatica
05-23-2004, 08:09 PM
Is Rob Deer still playing?

OEO Magglio
05-23-2004, 08:11 PM
Very glad to see joe starting to come around a little bit. His average is pretty respectable now at .276 and his power numbers are starting to look real good, 8 homers 31 rbi's. I hope he continues to hit and maybe eventually he'll deserve a call up. As for right now I think a platoon of Willie and Aaron in centerfield is what is going to happen, that way ozz can keep crede out there too.

TaylorStSox
05-23-2004, 08:18 PM
Originally posted by joecrede
Guesses, what current hitter does Borchard most closely profile to?

A switch hitting Adam Dunn. Dunn will walk more but K more too. Borchards light years ahead of Dunn in the field though.

He's still got the highest ceiling in our organization. People are hard on a guy who's been plagued by injuries. Those injuries and stagnating in AAA have really hurt his progress.

kermittheefrog
05-23-2004, 08:48 PM
Originally posted by TaylorStSox
A switch hitting Adam Dunn. Dunn will walk more but K more too. Borchards light years ahead of Dunn in the field though.

He's still got the highest ceiling in our organization. People are hard on a guy who's been plagued by injuries. Those injuries and stagnating in AAA have really hurt his progress.

Whoa thats some exaggeration. Adam Dunn is a year younger than Borchard and a lot more successful so far. Personally, when I think of Joe Borchard, I think of a switch hitting Jay Buhner.

MRKARNO
05-23-2004, 08:50 PM
Whoa thats some exaggeration. Adam Dunn is a year younger than Borchard and a lot more successful so far. Personally, when I think of Joe Borchard, I think of a switch hitting Jay Buhner.

Well Borchard really does resemble Dunn except Dunn is more advanced at this point in his career. If Borchard is hitting, he will inevitably get more walks because pitchers will be less willing to pitch to him. That's what happened with Dunn.

kermittheefrog
05-23-2004, 08:53 PM
Originally posted by MRKARNO
Well Borchard really does resemble Dunn except Dunn is more advanced at this point in his career. If Borchard is hitting, he will inevitably get more walks because pitchers will be less willing to pitch to him. That's what happened with Dunn.

Dunn has a good eye and takes a lot of pitches. Walks are more a product of batting eye than being pitched around. Not every great hitter takes a lot of walks. Dunn has always taken a lot of pitches, he walked 38 times in 286 plate appearances his rookie season.

MRKARNO
05-23-2004, 08:56 PM
Dunn has a good eye and takes a lot of pitches. Walks are more a product of batting eye than being pitched around. Not every great hitter takes a lot of walks. Dunn has always taken a lot of pitches, he walked 38 times in 286 plate appearances his rookie season.

Is Borchard more of a free swinger than Dunn?

TaylorStSox
05-23-2004, 08:59 PM
The question was where does he project. They're both free swingers but Dunn has a better eye. However, Dunn strikes out a TON. Obviously he's not Dunn but has the potential to be as good or better.

Borchard would run circles around him in the field.

Another thing, Dunn had the liberty of playing for an organzation that wasn't scared to stick with him. He's struggled mightily in the majors. His career average is around 245 with a 2:1 K/BB ratio.

joecrede
05-23-2004, 09:17 PM
BTW, I think Williams should take advantage of Borchard's hot streak and use him to help get another starting pitcher.

MisterB
05-23-2004, 09:22 PM
Originally posted by MRKARNO
Is Borchard more of a free swinger than Dunn?

That would be an understatement. Dunn drew 100 walks at A ball in 2000. In '01 he drew 100 again spread over AA, AAA, and the majors. In '02 it was 128. Borchard drew 67 at AA in '01 and hasn't approached that rate since. Good news is his strikeout rate has been coming down.

kermittheefrog
05-23-2004, 09:26 PM
Dunn's struggles aren't as bad as they look if you look past his batting average. We're talking about a guy who gets more walks than anyone not named Bonds and has great power. Really the only thing Dunn hasn't done well is hit for average and he's starting to do that this year. He's been dominant so far. Borchard doesn't have anything on what Dunn has accomplished so far. It's extremely far fetched to say Borchard has an upside similar to Dunn's.

TaylorStSox
05-23-2004, 09:39 PM
Like I said, Dunn has more patience. They're both big guys with tremendous raw power who can spray the ball and strike out a ton.

Their size and ability to overpower the ball is rare and that's why I made the comparison.

Also, they both have deceptive speed.

Now that I looked at the numbers, I've seen that a few of you have overlooked his 170 K's to go with those 128 BB's. His K:BB ratio is still about 2:1.

Imo, Borchard will probably have similar power numbers and average numbers with a lower OBP.

:edit: I'm not sure why I even got into this. I hate comparing players like this. :gulp:

soxwon
05-23-2004, 09:42 PM
sounds like hes lookin good to get traded to kc!!!