PDA

View Full Version : Chicago NewsMedia Watch 5/23/04

Hangar18
05-23-2004, 06:00 PM
So much for the SOX getting attention in todays papers. Though the SOX are on the Road, and SHOULDNT garner any backpage/front page Color pictures, they fall even FARTHER behind as a Cub victory is an excuse for the Chicago Media to go HogWild.

Was hilarious to listen to other teams fans
FLOOD talkradio stations today with INANE suggestions for solving their SS and leadoff problems. The Pirates giving away
of all their players last year (along with the Marlins doing the same) has set a bad precedent and has the other teams "fans" thinking they can acquire anyone for nothing. Was pretty funny to hear the host getting quietly Exasperated at the seemingly low level of intelligence by the callers on Mulligans 670am show today. ("we should trade alex gonzalez for Ichiro" "lets send Patterson & Farnsworth for Tejada") Cubs have quietly moved
past the 700 mark, and were not even in June. Unreal.

Cubune:
7 cub stories
3 sox stories

Cub-Times:
6 cub stories
3 sox stories
Standings since Spring Training began way back in Mid Febrary....

CUBS 705
SOX 481

Brian26
05-23-2004, 06:03 PM
Originally posted by Hangar18
Cubune:
7 cub stories
3 sox stories

Yep. The Sox were absolutely buried in the Trib this morning. Pathetic.

Hangar18
05-23-2004, 06:06 PM
Also, now that Ive watched ALL the games in this series, was VERY REFRESHING to HEAR ALL THE SOX FANS in the Metrodome
this weekend, they were pretty loud for sure. But one thing I also did notice .............The FOX, WGN, WCIU cameras NEVER bothered to show a single SOX fan in the park there. I was looking for the Every-single-inning-lets-show-Our-Fans Camera Shots (like they do for that other team)..........but they Never Came.

Made me think there were NO SOX fans in the Metrodome, despite the obvious loud Cheering for SOX hits and homeruns.

DrummerGeorgefan
05-23-2004, 06:19 PM
Man...300 back. Even if we got to the WS, we'd still be so far behind.
Good work Hangar for keeping us up on all this.

hsnterprize
05-23-2004, 06:37 PM
If it weren't for Hangar's efforts, the Tribune could've hidden behind being "objective" when it decided not to cover the Wrigley Field shooting as intently as other newspapers/TV & radio outlets did. His "random thoughts" and "media watches" have kept all of us abreast of the media bias in this town.

Hangar deserves a lot of credit for waking a lot of people up to this fact. Even though the Wrigley shooting has died down, we won't forget how the Tribune lost a lot of credibility when it showed its true Cubbie-blue colors.

Cubbiesuck13
05-23-2004, 06:45 PM
Originally posted by hsnterprize
If it weren't for Hangar's efforts, the Tribune could've hidden behind being "objective" when it decided not to cover the Wrigley Field shooting as intently as other newspapers/TV & radio outlets did. His "random thoughts" and "media watches" have kept all of us abreast of the media bias in this town.

Hangar deserves a lot of credit for waking a lot of people up to this fact. Even though the Wrigley shooting has died down, we won't forget how the Tribune lost a lot of credibility when it showed its true Cubbie-blue colors.

yeah i got to say thanks to hangar for the updates. now i can acually see the bias rather than just feel it.

Cubbiesuck13
05-23-2004, 06:49 PM
sportscenter just showed a ton of highlites of the game! what a suprise. i wonder if the bias that the chicago media shows is consitant with what the national media shows....

ChiSox14305635
05-23-2004, 08:33 PM
Not a single reporter from the big 3 TV networks in Chicago (2, 5, 7) bothered to cover this series. Though if I recall, all of those guys represented Chicago in St. Louis when the "other" team was playing the Cardinals. But it's not like they didn't have their priorities in order:

Someone had to cover the Messiah's debut in Lansing.

LongLiveFisk
05-23-2004, 10:36 PM
Originally posted by hsnterprize

I boycotted the Trib years ago. I highly recommend others do the same.

Cubbiesuck13
05-23-2004, 10:55 PM
sportscenter giving some love to the sox. showed all the hits in both innings that they batted around. of course it was on fast forward.

CubKilla
05-23-2004, 11:00 PM
The Cubs beat their Division rival on 05/22 7-1 while the Sox lost to their Division rival 9-1. Jesus..... DEAL WITH IT! I fully expect more Cubs coverage after 05/22's blowout at Wrigley and 05/22's blowout at the Metrodome.

If you're going to bitch, at least have a reason to. While I agree that there is plenty to be upset about regarding media coverage of the Sox/Cubs, this is far from an even reaching reason.

MRKARNO
05-23-2004, 11:03 PM
Now if we get shut out of positive coverage tomorrow, then I'll be pissed, but I didnt expect anything after yesterday's garbage performance

CubKilla
05-23-2004, 11:06 PM
Originally posted by MRKARNO
Now if we get shut out of positive coverage tomorrow, then I'll be pissed, but I didnt expect anything after yesterday's garbage performance

Well said :)

Hokiesox
05-24-2004, 09:17 AM
Originally posted by Hangar18
692 475
So much for the SOX getting attention in todays papers. Though the SOX are on the Road, and SHOULDNT garner any backpage/front page Color pictures, they fall even FARTHER behind as a Cub victory is an excuse for the Chicago Media to go HogWild.

Was hilarious to listen to other teams fans
FLOOD talkradio stations today with INANE suggestions for solving their SS and leadoff problems. The Pirates giving away
of all their players last year (along with the Marlins doing the same) has set a bad precedent and has the other teams "fans" thinking they can acquire anyone for nothing. Was pretty funny to hear the host getting quietly Exasperated at the seemingly low level of intelligence by the callers on Mulligans 670am show today. ("we should trade alex gonzalez for Ichiro" "lets send Patterson & Farnsworth for Tejada") Cubs have quietly moved
past the 700 mark, and were not even in June. Unreal.

Cubune:
7 cub stories
3 sox stories

Cub-Times:
6 cub stories
3 sox stories
Standings since Spring Training began way back in Mid Febrary....

CUBS 705
SOX 481

Tejada is the new fan favorite here in Baltimore. HE aint going anywhere.

mcfish
05-24-2004, 10:55 AM
Originally posted by Cubbiesuck13
sportscenter giving some love to the sox. showed all the hits in both innings that they batted around. of course it was on fast forward.

I thought that the fast forward was awesome to watch. It was really quite funny. What else could they do - just replay the 4th and 6th innings? So many highlights, so little time......

maurice
05-24-2004, 05:07 PM
The Sunday Cub-Times was BRUTAL. What a pain to flip through page after page after page after page after page of cubtastic coverage to find even a single paragraph on a Sox game between two teams tied for first place.

I really can see your point about equal coverage now, Dick Telander.