PDA

View Full Version : *Official* Post Twinkie series thread...

voodoochile
05-23-2004, 05:19 PM
OMG! Sox Win, 17-7!

:bandance:

Tied for first, how cool is that?

MRKARNO
05-23-2004, 05:22 PM
Is anyone else here convinced that we're a 5th starter away from being one of the top teams in the AL?

batmanZoSo
05-23-2004, 05:23 PM
Originally posted by MRKARNO
Is anyone else here convinced that we're a 5th starter away from being one of the top teams in the AL?

Yeah. In baseball.

HomeFish
05-23-2004, 05:23 PM
How did that 50mph strikeout pitch from Takatsu look like?

Corlose 15
05-23-2004, 05:24 PM
WOOHOO!!!!! :) :notwinks

jabrch
05-23-2004, 05:25 PM

I've said it before - its not the 5th starter that we need - its a #1 or at the least, a #2 or #3. Garland and Schoe make good 4th and 5th starters.

I know what you are saying, but I don't want us to acquire someone to be a #5 (Benson or something old/hurt/crappy like him) I want a #1 or #2.

MRKARNO
05-23-2004, 05:27 PM
Originally posted by jabrch
I've said it before - its not the 5th starter that we need - its a #1 or at the least, a #2 or #3. Garland and Schoe make good 4th and 5th starters.

I know what you are saying, but I don't want us to acquire someone to be a #5 (Benson or something old/hurt/crappy like him) I want a #1 or #2.

Well yeah, I totally agree. I am one of the most anti-Benson people on this board and I'm fairly pro-Garcia as most of us are. I really just meant that if we have 5 starters who could go out and give us a quality start each time around that we'd be in excellent shape.

Corlose 15
05-23-2004, 05:28 PM
:caballo

So thats how you hit.

pudge
05-23-2004, 05:30 PM

Not me.

OEO Magglio
05-23-2004, 05:38 PM
That and consistant offense.

SEALgep
05-23-2004, 05:39 PM
Originally posted by HomeFish
How did that 50mph strikeout pitch from Takatsu look like? Sick, completely buckled him, and I think he knew it was coming.

Nick@Nite
05-23-2004, 05:41 PM
Just got home and clicked on CNN Headline News to watch the scores... 17-7, awe yeah.

The Sox are 12-2 so far on getaway days... just keep winning those series.

:)

Navaro's Talent
05-23-2004, 05:45 PM
This was a great game. Talk about making a statement! The Sox made the Twins look silly. Bring on the Rangers! The Show is pitching on Tuesday!

C-Dawg
05-23-2004, 05:48 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile

Tied for first, how cool is that?

I had to check the standings myself to be sure :smile: Something didn't seem right; with all those wins I thought we'd be one ahead. Guess it would've taken a sweep to do that - I'm easily confused on these math problems.

Win1ForMe
05-23-2004, 06:00 PM
This was an awesome game. I really thought we wouldn't come back with momentum shifting to the Twins after they got those 6 consecutive runs. But give credit to our team, they weren't satisfied with merely a split.

Yeah, the 5th starter has been a problem but it's so difficult to gage what this team needs most. A week ago, I would have said the offense needed fixing. And a month ago, it probably was the bullpen. Granted, the 5th spot sucked from the very beginning, but we might be a few games away from another offensive cold streak, and then we'll focus on that again.

voodoochile
05-23-2004, 06:01 PM
Originally posted by C-Dawg
I had to check the standings myself to be sure :smile: Something didn't seem right; with all those wins I thought we'd be one ahead. Guess it would've taken a sweep to do that - I'm easily confused on these math problems.

Actually, if the Sox had swept, they would be 2 up. :D:

kojak
05-23-2004, 06:04 PM

Ah, fifth starter, schmifth farter! (that's hard to say!)

We are already there. I will take our big bad starting four against anybody's! Once Loaiza gets his groove back, I'd submit that we have the best rotation in baseball! Heck, start Rowand or Crede every fifth game. Is Bert Campanaris still available? What about Todd Ritchie?

*THWAP*!

Ok, sorry about the Ritchie remark, but when our bats are even just semi-on, we are good to go!

Nard
05-23-2004, 06:04 PM
Originally posted by SEALgep
Sick, completely buckled him, and I think he knew it was coming.

Hahah yeah he was looking for it... but never expected anything THAT nasty.

Nard
05-23-2004, 06:05 PM
Originally posted by Win1ForMe
This was an awesome game. I really thought we wouldn't come back with momentum shifting to the Twins after they got those 6 consecutive runs. But give credit to our team, they weren't satisfied with merely a split.

Yeah, the 5th starter has been a problem but it's so difficult to gage what this team needs most. A week ago, I would have said the offense needed fixing. And a month ago, it probably was the bullpen. Granted, the 5th spot sucked from the very beginning, but we might be a few games away from another offensive cold streak, and then we'll focus on that again.

Nah, that's just the thing we need. The bullpen sucks sometimes, is off and on, the offense sucks sometimes, is off and on... the fifth starter has always sucked hard.

Brian26
05-23-2004, 06:06 PM
Originally posted by Nard
Hahah yeah he was looking for it... but never expected anything THAT nasty.

Zero's change is awesome because his arm movement doesn't tip it off at all. He does an excellent job of not slowing up his arm. Nasty, nasty pitch.

C-Dawg
05-23-2004, 06:11 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile
Actually, if the Sox had swept, they would be 2 up. :D:

See, that's why I'm bad at math.... Shouldn't they be at +1 right now then?

DrummerGeorgefan
05-23-2004, 06:16 PM
Very proud and impressed with JG after having a crappy first inning. He pitched decently, but hunkered down and didnt really get down on himself.

Also impressed with the way the team didnt give up right way when they were down 6-3. I think the B2B homers helped, but they seemed to be having fun while making everything look routine

Navaro's Talent
05-23-2004, 06:20 PM
Originally posted by SEALgep
Sick, completely buckled him, and I think he knew it was coming.

I know it's still very early to be saying anything, but i think Shingo is going to the All-Star Game. What's his era now?

DSpivack
05-23-2004, 06:26 PM
Originally posted by Navaro's Talent
I know it's still very early to be saying anything, but i think Shingo is going to the All-Star Game. What's his era now?

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/profile?statsId=7255

voodoochile
05-23-2004, 06:29 PM
Originally posted by C-Dawg
See, that's why I'm bad at math.... Shouldn't they be at +1 right now then?

No, they were 2 games back when they started, they went 3-1 thus made up 2 games.

If they had gone 4-0 they would have made up 4 games. There was never a way for them to make up 3 games in this set and come out 1 game up.

Navaro's Talent
05-23-2004, 06:34 PM
Originally posted by DSpivack

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/profile?statsId=7255

Thanks.

JohnBasedowYoda
05-23-2004, 10:15 PM
i was listening to that game in the car....couldn't believe my ears....utter awe

MikeKreevich
05-23-2004, 10:17 PM
Shingo for closer!

OEO Magglio
05-23-2004, 10:20 PM
Originally posted by MikeKreevich
Shingo for closer!
Or we could keep the guy who is 7 for 8 in save opportunities as the closer.

doublem23
05-23-2004, 10:26 PM
Originally posted by jabrch

No, we need a fifth starter, but a #1 or 2 puts us over the top.

Lip Man 1
05-23-2004, 10:27 PM
Very impressive especially considering that Garland had a very rough outing particularly the first two innings.

Lip

doublem23
05-23-2004, 10:30 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
Very impressive especially considering that Garland had a very rough outing particularly the first two innings.

Lip

Just curious, did you watch, because I don't think Jon looked that bad. Yeah, he had a few walks, but the Twins were just hitting little crap shots that were finding open areas of turf. He easily could have allowed 1 or 2 runs today.

Cubbiesuck13
05-23-2004, 10:32 PM
Originally posted by OEO Magglio
Or we could keep the guy who is 7 for 8 in save opportunities as the closer.

NO! billy kotch cannot ever be liked here again. he sucked for a period of time and now it is too late.... teal anyone?

ma-gaga
05-23-2004, 10:59 PM
Nice series win for the W.Sox. Played with passion and didn't let up. ugh. I guess Ozzie ball may be legit. damn. Killed the Twins "pitchers". That was pretty awesome.

I wonder where the Twins are ranked pitching wise now?
Oh well, long season. :D:

batmanZoSo
05-23-2004, 11:11 PM
Originally posted by ma-gaga
Nice series win for the W.Sox. Played with passion and didn't let up. ugh. I guess Ozzie ball may be legit. damn. Killed the Twins "pitchers". That was pretty awesome.

I wonder where the Twins are ranked pitching wise now?

After Radke dominated them, I know I didn't expect 17 runs the next day. Or even 6-8 runs. Every time they go silent with the bats one game, you think here we go again...and they hit like crap the next day too. It didn't this time, though, and you can attribute that to the Sox just being on fire. We're lucky to have gotten the annual 4 game trip to the dome while we were hot.

I can see us lighting up Kenny Rogers tomorrow. Frank lives to hit left handed soft tossers like him and we'll be throwing another lineup with 7 or 8 righties at him.

delben91
05-23-2004, 11:13 PM
Originally posted by ma-gaga

That's the key of it all.

And despite your claim of "pitchers" it had to be nice to see Radke keep pitching that well in the third game. He really shut the Sox bats down.

I must say despite coming out on the winning end, I really enjoyed having the Twins fans around on the board for this series. The discussion was always about baseball and the games and not, "my team rocks, your team sucks"

Looking forward to "next time" ma-gaga.

Have one on me -> :gulp:

elrod
05-23-2004, 11:21 PM
This was one of the biggest series wins since Cleveland/NY 2000. Going on the road and taking care of business. And before this trip the Sox were subpar on the road - anywhere. To do it in 7-21 HHHDome is something else. Now we have a tough homestand against the hot Rangers and Angels.

Cubbiesuck13
05-23-2004, 11:25 PM
Originally posted by elrod
This was one of the biggest series wins since Cleveland/NY 2000. Going on the road and taking care of business. And before this trip the Sox were subpar on the road - anywhere. To do it in 7-21 HHHDome is something else. Now we have a tough homestand against the hot Rangers and Angels.

it is not going to be pretty facing the rangers without a-rod, they may make it close

anyone know if the angels are due to get some people off the dl in the next week?