PDA

View Full Version : The Sox sent a message to the Twins - now lets send a message to the Sox

jabrch
05-23-2004, 04:58 PM
Tuesday night - the park should be PACKED.

For those who cant afford tickets, it's half price night.

For those who only want to see a first place team, we have one.

For those who hate corpseball - it's been gone since the Toronto series

For those who think the park is ugly, it has a roof

For those who think it is hard to get to, try public transportation

For those who hate JR - DONT SIT NEXT TO HIM

For those who think concessions are too expensive, bring your own

For those who only want to sit in the lower bowl, there are PLENTY available - they are half price starting tomorrow AM.

EDIT: For those of you who want another pitcher - ****, he wouldn't be pitching Tuesday anyhow - its not his turn in the rotation.

EDIT: For those of you who want another hitter, Tuesday would be his day off - come see and support the guys we have - not the guys we had 3 years ago, or the guys you wish we had.

EDIT: For those that plan to go on Tuesday and make the environement unsafe or not fun for the rest of us: Please stay home.

Some people have legit excuses - work, kids, live out of town, etc. but if you have any other stupid excuses - stick it in your piehole. Those of us who will be there really don't care about why you don't come.

HomeFish
05-23-2004, 05:00 PM
I'll be there and bringing 4 people with me.

Brian26
05-23-2004, 05:00 PM
Originally posted by jabrch
For those who think it is hard to get to, try public transportation.

Not to be a bummer, but the last two times I've gone down there, I've had to wait 45 minutes on that damn EL platform waiting for the train after the game (with about a thousand other people). Last two times I've gone down there, the train going TO the park has been delayed because of incidents south of 35th Street.

voodoochile
05-23-2004, 05:04 PM
Originally posted by Brian26
Not to be a bummer, but the last two times I've gone down there, I've had to wait 45 minutes on that damn EL platform waiting for the train after the game (with about a thousand other people). Last two times I've gone down there, the train going TO the park has been delayed because of incidents south of 35th Street.

Sounds like bad luck. I used to take the train to and from games regularly and didn't experience what you are talking about a single time.

HomeFish
05-23-2004, 05:05 PM

Two Words: GREEN LINE.

Brian26
05-23-2004, 05:09 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile
Sounds like bad luck. I used to take the train to and from games regularly and didn't experience what you are talking about a single time.

I've been taking it for the past few years since living downtown and haven't had ANY problems. It's like this year they've reduced the number of trains running at night, which is insane. Last year, they used to have trains lined up and waiting after the games. Now, it seems like one comes every half and hour, and the first one is usually so packed that only half the people can get on.

Brian26
05-23-2004, 05:10 PM
Originally posted by HomeFish
Two Words: GREEN LINE.

Might have to try it. The Red Line is just a natural, but I'll check out the green line and where it stops.

HomeFish
05-23-2004, 05:15 PM
Might have to try it. The Red Line is just a natural, but I'll check out the green line and where it stops.

The 35th/Bronzeville/IIT stop is just one block further from the Cell than the red line stop is. Virtually nobody takes it to the game; away from the game, there are only about a dozen or so.

hsnterprize
Two Words: GREEN LINE. The Green Line is about 4 blocks east of the ballpark. More than likely, once you pass the mess on the Red Line, you'll get to the Green Line with no problem. It goes north through the Loop, and then goes west to the Oak Park/Forest Park ares. There's a stop along the way at State/Lake, but it's above ground instead of underground. You can switch trains there, or wherever you're going. Check out the CTA's website (http://www.transitchicago.com) if you're not sure where to go.

Cubbiesuck13
I would give my left nut to go.....stupid virginia......

you forgot one

for those of you who want another pitcher/hitter/whoever, KW has said if you come he will build it!

jabrch
05-23-2004, 05:20 PM

I hate to say this - but leave 1 inning early and you wont have that problem. Or move to the NE corner of the stadium on the lower level so you can get out quicker. But that is hardly a valid excuse not to go to the game - the wait for the L to get home - sorry.

Brian26
Originally posted by hsnterprize
The Green Line is about 4 blocks east of the ballpark. More than likely, once you pass the mess on the Red Line, you'll get to the Green Line with no problem. It goes north through the Loop, and then goes west to the Oak Park/Forest Park ares. There's a stop along the way at State/Lake, but it's above ground instead of underground. You can switch trains there, or wherever you're going. Check out the CTA's website (http://www.transitchicago.com) if you're not sure where to go.

What is beautiful, it appears, is that there is a Clinton/Lake stop (which works great for me), and the line goes all the way to 35th with only one stop in between. Can people vouch for it being fairly safe?

Dadawg_77
hey what is the pepsi code for the half price tickets?

Brian26
05-23-2004, 05:21 PM
But that is hardly a valid excuse not to go to the game - the wait for the L to get home - sorry.

Of course not. I'll still go to the games....just mentioning that the CTA needs to get their act together.

batmanZoSo
05-23-2004, 05:22 PM
Originally posted by Cubbiesuck13

I'd give my middle...don't need it anyway.

Dadawg_77
05-23-2004, 05:23 PM
Of course not. I'll still go to the games....just mentioning that the CTA needs to get their act together.

The CTA is just about managements pension plan.

jabrch
05-23-2004, 05:23 PM

Agreed - I haven't had any problems the 3 times I had been at games this year - and all were 20,000+ games, but I do see your point.

hsnterprize
05-23-2004, 05:24 PM
What is beautiful, it appears, is that there is a Clinton/Lake stop (which works great for me), and the line goes all the way to 35th with only one stop in between. Can people vouch for it being fairly safe? You bet. I took the green line in from Forest Park a lot while I was living out in that area. The Clinton/Lake stop is well lit and very safe. Not to mention, you're right near the Ogilve Transportation Center, which is a pretty nice area as well. So you don't have anything to worry about.

BigEdWalsh
05-23-2004, 05:30 PM
Dave Wills just mentioned THIS thread! :) :gulp:

Frankfan4life
05-23-2004, 05:32 PM
I'm going Wednesday, if that's alright. It's teacher's night and I'm going with a large group.

Hangar18
05-23-2004, 05:32 PM
What is beautiful, it appears, is that there is a Clinton/Lake stop (which works great for me), and the line goes all the way to 35th with only one stop in between. Can people vouch for it being fairly safe?

I called up the Chicago Tribune to ask their thoughts. They told me it was Very Unsafe and I should spend my time better heading on the RedLine North to Addison. They say theres a better team there. Knowing what I know about the Trib, I decided to NOT listen to them. Green Line is the way to go!

And I'll be there TUESDAY TOO :smile:

SoxFan76
05-23-2004, 05:34 PM
I'll be there Tuesday with my newly converted bandwagon jumping Cubbie fan uncle. Hopefully he sees his mistakes and turns back to the good side.

ChiSox14305635
05-23-2004, 05:34 PM
I got one more to add:

For those that want to go on Tuesday just to get boozed up and make a fool of yourself: Please stay home.

Rather than that; PACK THE PLACE!

Brian26
05-23-2004, 05:58 PM
Originally posted by hsnterprize
You bet. I took the green line in from Forest Park a lot while I was living out in that area. The Clinton/Lake stop is well lit and very safe. Not to mention, you're right near the Ogilve Transportation Center, which is a pretty nice area as well. So you don't have anything to worry about.

I go through Ogilve twice a day and live nearby...so I'm not worried about that end. I'm worried about the 35th/IIT stop. Is that end decent at 10pm?

Brian26
05-23-2004, 06:00 PM
Originally posted by BigEdWalsh

What did Willsy say?

jabrch
05-23-2004, 06:04 PM
Originally posted by BigEdWalsh

Did Wills give me my props? LOL

HomeFish
05-23-2004, 06:05 PM
I go through Ogilve twice a day and live nearby...so I'm not worried about that end. I'm worried about the 35th/IIT stop. Is that end decent at 10pm?

It's decent at 10pm since there are always a few people coming back from the game around that point.

If you get there a few hours before the game the area will be pretty deserted and there might be some suspicious-looking individuals, but I've never had a bad incident.

jabrch
05-23-2004, 06:17 PM
BTW - it felt nice to upgrade my signature after a 3-1 series vs Minnesota.

SOXSINCE'70
05-23-2004, 06:18 PM
I'm a weekend season ticket holder.I'll be there Sat. and Sun.,
for sure.BEAT THE WEST!! :) :)

Cubbiesuck13
05-23-2004, 06:31 PM
talk about showing respect, a full park on a WEEKDAY playing a team that is nothing too special but coming back from a very huge and well played series. how great would it be to be there. just think about how well the team would respond to that! shhhhhh! don't scare the players by being to loud now.

BigEdWalsh
05-23-2004, 06:31 PM
What did Willsy say?

I couldn't quote him cause it really took me by surprise, I was just sorta listening. But he said on WSI fans are asking if the Sox sent a message to the Twins. So he asked his listeners the same question.

Bucktown
05-23-2004, 06:37 PM
One thought -- shut your pie hole.

If waiting 45 minutes on the platform is going to kill you then take a limo or go someplace for a drink and wait for the crowd to die down.

Cubbiesuck13
05-23-2004, 06:39 PM
Originally posted by Bucktown

If waiting 45 minutes on the platform is going to kill you then take a limo or go someplace for a drink and wait for the crowd to die down.

scrub fans don't mind a crowd, course they don't mind shooting each other either! ( i really hope it is not too soon to make fun of that)

QueerGirrl
05-23-2004, 08:21 PM
Originally posted by Hangar18
I called up the Chicago Tribune to ask their thoughts. They told me it was Very Unsafe and I should spend my time better heading on the RedLine North to Addison. They say theres a better team there. Knowing what I know about the Trib, I decided to NOT listen to them. Green Line is the way to go!

And I'll be there TUESDAY TOO :smile:

I'll be there Tuesday, Wednesday and Sunday!! What section will you be in Hangar?

Brian26
05-23-2004, 08:27 PM
Originally posted by Bucktown

Well, that's my whole point. If the trains aren't going to be there, I rather just hang in the bullpen bar and give the Sox more of my money. Problem is, once you leave the park and walk over to the EL, you can't really get back in to go to the bpb. Also, there's no set time when the train is going to show up...as soon as you leave the platform to walk over to Jimbo's, it might show up. Plus, once you're on the platform, you've already paid your fare...it's just a pain in the ass. You're sort of at the mercy of the train.

My only point was that more trains need to be down there after games. Thanks for the ignorant response though, jackass.

Cubbiesuck13
05-23-2004, 08:33 PM

My only point was that more trains need to be down there after games. Thanks for the ignorant response though, jackass.

haha

TornLabrum
05-23-2004, 08:48 PM
I'll be there Saturday with a group from the White Sox Mailing List. That's the best I can do, though since I'll be in the middle of final exams.

Saracen
05-23-2004, 08:52 PM
As a Sox fan in Dallas, I'm really looking forward to this series. The Rangers are playing outstanding baseball & have the same record as the Sox. Kenny Rogers has been a real surprise this year & he's pitching Tuesday. Their closer is 14-14 in save situations and they're coming up winning 2 of 3 against the Yankees.

This should be some pretty exciting baseball.

Railsplitter
05-23-2004, 09:24 PM

Best advice I've about the gentleman in question.

jeremyb1
05-23-2004, 09:55 PM
Hopefully I'm exempt since I attended today. I hope everyone currently in the area does their best to make it out though.

nasox
05-23-2004, 10:15 PM
surprised this hasn't been done yet. But anyways:

:threadrules:

konerkopeachy
05-23-2004, 10:33 PM
Another option would be to take the 35th bus (westbound) to the Orange Line 35th/Archer station.....it's a well-lit station, and you can just take the loop-bound Orange Line train to transfer to whatever other train tickles your fancy.

doublem23
05-23-2004, 10:38 PM
But that is hardly a valid excuse not to go to the game - the wait for the L to get home - sorry.

People do have jobs, you know.

But anyway, what is the point of these threads? Haven't we established that all you're really doing is preaching to the choir?

nasox
05-23-2004, 10:43 PM
Originally posted by doublem23

A job that you would have to go to at 10 PM? Hardly. Reread his post and then you'll see how you misread it.

doublem23
05-23-2004, 10:47 PM
Originally posted by nasox
A job that you would have to go to at 10 PM? Hardly. Reread his post and then you'll see how you misread it.

No, but assuming that everyone can just work their schedule around a baseball game is ludicrous. And telling people here to go to Sox games is like telling the sky to be blue.

konerkopeachy
05-23-2004, 10:48 PM
Plus, once you're on the platform, you've already paid your fare...it's just a pain in the ass. You're sort of at the mercy of the train.

This is true. I have been late to work many a day because of this. Curses on thee, CTA.

CubKilla
05-23-2004, 10:51 PM
I never understood the compulsion to post to diehard fans an ultimatum to attend a game.

Cubbiesuck13
05-23-2004, 10:58 PM
Originally posted by CubKilla
I never understood the compulsion to post to diehard fans an ultimatum to attend a game.

i think it is only to make sure everyone knows the importance of showing the sox some love after playing a great series that was sooo important.

plus, it is not like we have been showing up on a regular basis.

CubKilla
05-23-2004, 11:04 PM
i think it is only to make sure everyone knows the importance of showing the sox some love after playing a great series that was sooo important.

Everyone here knows this

Cubbiesuck13
05-23-2004, 11:06 PM
Originally posted by CubKilla
Everyone here knows this

mission accomplished

gosox3072
05-23-2004, 11:11 PM
I will most defanately be there on tuesday....i cant wait! I work til 5 but somehow someway im gettin out early!

pearso66
05-23-2004, 11:42 PM
some people have to work at 10 p.m., Realist usually works at night IIRC. And I'm sure there are others who work the late shift, or work at bars that post on here

Realist
05-24-2004, 12:11 AM
Originally posted by pearso66
some people have to work at 10 p.m., Realist usually works at night IIRC. And I'm sure there are others who work the late shift, or work at bars that post on here

I'm the "day chick" (4pm-10pm) until we hire one for the next couple of Tuesdays and I have tickets to Tuesday's game. Crap. I'll have to try and see if I can get someone to cover that shift for me Tuesday. If I can, I'll be at the game. If I can't, I'll have to go on Thursday and just go into work an hour late.

Cubbiesuck13
05-24-2004, 12:13 AM
Originally posted by Realist
I'm the "day chick" (4pm-10pm) until we hire one for the next couple of Tuesdays and I have tickets to Tuesday's game. Crap. I'll have to try and see if I can get someone to cover that shift for me Tuesday. If I can, I'll be at the game. If I can't, I'll have to go on Thursday and just go into work an hour late.

you are a fan. everyone knows that sox come before work!

jabrch
05-24-2004, 01:18 AM

But anyway, what is the point of these threads? Haven't we established that all you're really doing is preaching to the choir?

DoubleM, if you are working, that's a legit excuse - geez - what do you think I was saying? Quit your job and go to games? Criminy...

If you don't like the point of the thread - here's some advice - don't read it anymore. Go back to work.

jabrch
05-24-2004, 01:20 AM
Some people have legit excuses - work, kids, live out of town, etc. but if you have any other stupid excuses - stick it in your piehole. Those of us who will be there really don't care about why you don't come.

Did you even read my damn post DoubleM? I specifically listed WORK as the #1 legit excuse. Try reading a post before flaming it nexttime.

mdep524
05-24-2004, 02:26 AM
I'll be there and bringing 4 people with me.

Oh no...that HomeFish attendance bad luck....

just kidding!

Please do think positive thoughts though, HF! :smile: :smile:

Also, I will be there with my brother and a couple friends, possibly in the bleachers. Can't wait! :gulp:

SSN721
05-24-2004, 07:29 AM

I hate to say it, but thats a bunch of crap, I work in manufacturing, live on the north side and commute to Schaumburg, usually work 6-4:30. I have already been to 9 games this year, 6 of them weeknight games, I dont get home til 11 PM most of the time. I am going on Tue and Thur. I just dont buy the excuse that people have jobs and thats a good enough excuse, I make sacrifices to go see this team so I just dont buy it. I might be tired the next day but it is worth it to get out and see this team. ANd I also like the Green line as well, just discovered after my last game there, and the area looked pretty safe to me, and it was completely empty, which was nice compared to the red line, I would just transfer beack to the red at roosevelt and even that train was empty. :D:

SSN721
05-24-2004, 07:31 AM
The above rant of course only applies if you work during the day and actually are not scheduled to work during the actual game or right after it. Then of course that is a valid excuse.

jabrch
05-24-2004, 08:24 AM
Originally posted by SSN721
The above rant of course only applies if you work during the day and actually are not scheduled to work during the actual game or right after it. Then of course that is a valid excuse.

Of course - I specifically said that in my initial post as well.

Hokiesox
05-24-2004, 09:00 AM

you forgot one

for those of you who want another pitcher/hitter/whoever, KW has said if you come he will build it!

I guess it's not classified anymore. But I'm in the same boat (pardon the pun, I know you're in the Navy) being out here in Washington.

gosox41
05-24-2004, 09:57 AM
Tuesday night - the park should be PACKED.

For those who cant afford tickets, it's half price night.

For those who only want to see a first place team, we have one.

For those who hate corpseball - it's been gone since the Toronto series

For those who think the park is ugly, it has a roof

For those who think it is hard to get to, try public transportation

For those who think concessions are too expensive, bring your own

For those who only want to sit in the lower bowl, there are PLENTY available - they are half price starting tomorrow AM.

EDIT: For those of you who want another pitcher - ****, he wouldn't be pitching Tuesday anyhow - its not his turn in the rotation.

EDIT: For those of you who want another hitter, Tuesday would be his day off - come see and support the guys we have - not the guys we had 3 years ago, or the guys you wish we had.

EDIT: For those that plan to go on Tuesday and make the environement unsafe or not fun for the rest of us: Please stay home.

But.....

it's going to be too hot/cold

The seats are still blue.

School is still in session.

JR lied to me 10 years ago and I'm still holding a grudge.

The area around the Cell is more dangeorus then around Wrigley.

It's to expensive, I still have to shell out some money even if it is half price night, I'll just go see the Joliet Jackhammers.

The UD is still steep

THere will be fights in the ballpark.

A plane might fly to close to the Cell.

There is still no fifth starter.

I need to find more inane excuses not to support the Sox.

Frater Perdurabo
05-24-2004, 10:14 AM
If I didn't live in the extreme southwest suburbs (Garland, Texas), I would be there for sure. Its just that the 1900-mile round-trip commute is killing me. :D: I would take the train, but Amtrak takes two days to get from Dallas to Union Station in Chicago. :D: And I don't have enough frequent-flyer miles to qualify for a free airline ticket. :(:

Dadawg_77
05-24-2004, 10:36 AM
Originally posted by Frater Perdurabo
And I don't have enough frequent-flyer miles to qualify for a free airline ticket. :(:

Well after a few games, you should have the miles. You know, you should take a sabatical, and follow the Sox around the country to write a book about sportsteam.

Dadawg_77
05-24-2004, 10:39 AM
Here is the thing, we see these threads almost every homestand. I think this is at least the sixth thread urging people to come out. This is WSI, and most of the posters here are die hard Sox fans, else why would they be here. You don't have to hammer the people here about attending games, we will. If you want to increase attendance, get your non die hard friends and family to come out. Any time spent doing that will more effective than time spent trying to get WSI to attend a game.

batmanZoSo
05-24-2004, 10:40 AM
Originally posted by Frater Perdurabo
If I didn't live in the extreme southwest suburbs (Garland, Texas)

How ironic. :smile:

BeerHandle
05-24-2004, 10:48 AM

It is very safe. I live in the West loop, take the green line from Ashland and Lake, trandfer to the red line at State at Lake and head to the park. I'm going to try the green line all the way next time.

Cubbiesuck13
05-24-2004, 10:52 AM
Originally posted by Hokiesox
I guess it's not classified anymore. But I'm in the same boat (pardon the pun, I know you're in the Navy) being out here in Washington.

yeah it sucks out here on the east coast. i don't know how it is if you had a car tho. i know that baltimore and the dc area are pretty nice. do you go to O's games alot?