PDA

View Full Version : An ideal for a deal

Dadawg_77
05-23-2004, 12:37 AM
This is not a rumor but something I thought of in my head.

The A's need OF with some OBP and Pop in the bat. The Sox need pitching. A's have minor league pitching and Sox have minor league OF.

So a trade Carlos Lee to the A's for Mulder and Mecir. Befor anyone says Mecir sucks, I know he does but he is added in to make money work for this year. Beane can worry about the 2 million added from Lee next year. Both team may have to add a prospect or two to finalize the deal, but I think this helps solve both team problems with cash flow effect close to 0. Lee would make 7 million, Mulder makes 4.4 and Mecir makes 3.3 million. Mulder is signed for 2005 at 6 million and has a 7.25 million dollar option in 06. Lee will get paid 8 million next year, has option for 2006 at 8.25.

What do you guys think?

OEO Magglio
05-23-2004, 12:39 AM
If that was possible at all, I would love it being that Mulder is probably my favorite player in baseball. I do understand your thinking on why the a's would trade one of their starting pitchers I just really don't think it will happen.

pearso66
05-23-2004, 12:40 AM
I don't see the A's doing it. If they are trading any of the big 3, it would probably be Zito as he is struggling this year. Plus they can probably get better value for Mulder than Lee.

lowesox
05-23-2004, 12:41 AM
I'm not even sure they would do Magglio for Mulder.

Dadawg_77
05-23-2004, 12:43 AM
Originally posted by pearso66
I don't see the A's doing it. If they are trading any of the big 3, it would probably be Zito as he is struggling this year. Plus they can probably get better value for Mulder than Lee.

Zito started badly, but in May was greatly improved. Plus he makes the money part of the deal not work out. He will make 2.9 this year and 4.8 next year. To large of a gap for the Sox to take on.

Yeah, thats why I said prospects would be needed to be added to the deal. I just don't see the A's adding payroll, and don't see KC adding payroll so not sure if the A's could get Beltran. Other then that how many major league quality OF are out there which the A's could afford?

OEO Magglio
05-23-2004, 12:51 AM
Originally posted by Dadawg_77
Zito started badly, but in May was greatly improved. Plus he makes the money part of the deal not work out. He will make 2.9 this year and 4.8 next year. To large of a gap for the Sox to take on.

Yeah, thats why I said prospects would be needed to be added to the deal. I just don't see the A's adding payroll, and don't see KC adding payroll so not sure if the A's could get Beltran. Other then that how many major league quality OF are out there which the A's could afford?
Your right there aren't many outfielders available in the a's price range. But what gives them a better chance to win, having Carlos Lee or keeping the big 3 together? I definitely say big 3.

Kittle83ROY
05-23-2004, 02:29 AM

The A's need OF with some OBP and Pop in the bat. The Sox need pitching. A's have minor league pitching and Sox have minor league OF.

So a trade Carlos Lee to the A's for Mulder and Mecir. Befor anyone says Mecir sucks, I know he does but he is added in to make money work for this year. Beane can worry about the 2 million added from Lee next year. Both team may have to add a prospect or two to finalize the deal, but I think this helps solve both team problems with cash flow effect close to 0. Lee would make 7 million, Mulder makes 4.4 and Mecir makes 3.3 million. Mulder is signed for 2005 at 6 million and has a 7.25 million dollar option in 06. Lee will get paid 8 million next year, has option for 2006 at 8.25.

What do you guys think?

Why would you want a pitcher who missed a couple months last year with arm trouble? If KW made this trade and Mulder came up with arm trouble, everybody would rip him a new one.

chisox56
05-23-2004, 02:57 AM
First off mulder had a hip problem that plagued him last year. Second the A's won't trade any of the big three until they are in their contract years respectively.

Kittle83ROY
05-23-2004, 03:07 AM
Originally posted by chisox56
First off mulder had a hip problem that plagued him last year. Second the A's won't trade any of the big three until they are in their contract years respectively.

Actually is was his femur. Not hip. And Mulder had arm problems back in 2002.

gosox41
05-23-2004, 07:38 AM

What do you guys think?

I'd do the deal in a second just to get a really good starter. But I don't think Lee is Beane's type of player. My guess is he sees him as he saw Tejada, a 'Mr. Swing at Everything' type of guy. I don't see the A's dropping one of their big 3 for Carlos Lee.

Bob

kermittheefrog
05-23-2004, 12:01 PM
I don't think it would work. I am betting the A's are going to make a run at Beltran and wouldn't settle for Carlos Lee.

Dadawg_77
05-23-2004, 02:46 PM
Originally posted by kermittheefrog
I don't think it would work. I am betting the A's are going to make a run at Beltran and wouldn't settle for Carlos Lee.

I am sure they will, I just can't see it happening.