PDA

View Full Version : *Official* Post game thread 5-22-04

Daver
05-22-2004, 08:52 PM
Bla...

SEALgep
05-22-2004, 08:53 PM
Could have gone better that's for sure. Hope to tie it up again tomorrow.

Viva Magglio
05-22-2004, 08:57 PM
Disappointed, of course. But I'm not going to panic. I sure hope we win tomorrow, but it would not be the end of the world if we don't. A 2-2 split at the Humpdome would be an outstanding achievement considering our track record there.

DSpivack
05-22-2004, 09:07 PM
Originally posted by Viva Magglio
Disappointed, of course. But I'm not going to panic. I sure hope we win tomorrow, but it would not be the end of the world if we don't. A 2-2 split at the Humpdome would be an outstanding achievement considering our track record there.

It would make a waste of the first two games by coming in as we go out.

mdep524
Radke's the kind of pitcher that gives the Sox fits- good control, smart, changes speeds. The Sox look great up there today, but this was the game earmarked for a loss. Tomorrow's game, while not a "must win," is pretty important and will be a telling test for this team.

SEALgep
Originally posted by Viva Magglio
Disappointed, of course. But I'm not going to panic. I sure hope we win tomorrow, but it would not be the end of the world if we don't. A 2-2 split at the Humpdome would be an outstanding achievement considering our track record there. I agree most definitely. Although it would be nice if Garland were to bring his A game on the mound. :smile:

SEALgep
05-22-2004, 09:12 PM
Originally posted by DSpivack
It would make a waste of the first two games by coming in as we go out. Not really. We get killed going into that rat hole. If we split the series, that isn't bad considering what it could have been. Just because we won the first two doesn't mean the next two should be locks, or looked upon negatively if we lose.

mdep524
05-22-2004, 09:15 PM
Also, I really really want to see Politte succeed, but he is getting lit up right now. :(: Hopefully he can turn it around and be lights out like he was in spring training, but we're just not seeing it right ow.

Frater Perdurabo
05-22-2004, 09:22 PM
Time to pull the trigger on a deal for a starting pitcher and a center fielder who hits lefty.

The offensive explosion during the three games before tonight only pacified us and allowed us to ignore the obvious. This team is too streaky, too right-handed, to slow and all but surrenders every game made by the fifth starter. Then again, we've all known this since the beginning of spring training. The sooner Kenny makes a deal to fill these holes, the better off the team will be.

Lip Man 1
05-22-2004, 09:30 PM
It's no longer a question of 'if,' but 'when' Williams can pull the trigger on a deal for another starter. Now 1-6 in games started by anybody outside of the top 4 guys.

You can't keep basically throwing away games like this. If this division remains close the Sox could regret this come September. that's why the sooner the better.

Lip

MRKARNO
05-22-2004, 09:36 PM
Our fifth starter situation really is an absolute joke. It's like whoever we make the fifth guy is bound to fail regardless of how they've done in any other role.

But if we were only going to lose one game this series I would have predicted it to be this game, so I'm not too worried. We have the advantage tomorrow in that we're facing a struggling lefty who is going against our hot-handed John Garland

beckett21
05-22-2004, 09:46 PM
Originally posted by MRKARNO
Our fifth starter situation really is an absolute joke.

Understatement of the year!

HomeFish is rubbing off on you... :)

Obviously the sooner this is resolved the better. It comes down to who we give up, and how we replace them.

If Lee were to be gone tomorrow, are we convinced Reed is ready? I speak from a position of never actually having seen him play, so I have no idea.

I am somewhat playing devil's advocate here because I have been advocating a move since Wright's demise. Obviously we will have to give something up here, more than likely a proven regular if we expect to get a front-line starter.

By moving a Carlos Lee for example, does the negative impact that has on our everyday lineup do more harm? I know many here are calling out El Caballo and would love to get rid of him, although I think that is hasty. I just want to know are people convinced Reed is ready to do the job? I don't know, that's why I ask.

Again, I'm all for a trade. Just want to hear the other side of it. Because you can't get something for nothing, and it will set off a ripple effect.

soltrain21
05-22-2004, 09:49 PM
Having Reed in the lineup will benefit us alot more if it involves having 5 solid starters...

Reed can be protected by other guys, our fifth starter can not be...

Frater Perdurabo
05-22-2004, 09:51 PM
Originally posted by soltrain21

That is very, very true.

Frater Perdurabo
05-22-2004, 09:58 PM
On the MLB roster, IMHO, Lee, Konerko, Rowand and Gload are very expendable. And while I would defer to the better judgment of the scouts and minor league experts on here, I would say that any minor leaguer, other than Reed, LTP, Anderson, Sweeney, Honel and Wing are expendable if it brings the Sox a legitimate starter. And even one of these "untouchables" should be on the table if it means the Sox could get a legitimate yet rather young ace starter in return. The time to go for the jugular is now.

OEO Magglio
05-22-2004, 09:58 PM
Originally posted by beckett21
Understatement of the year!

Obviously the sooner this is resolved the better. It comes down to who we give up, and how we replace them.

If Lee were to be gone tomorrow, are we convinced Reed is ready? I speak from a position of never actually having seen him play, so I have no idea.

I am somewhat playing devil's advocate here because I have been advocating a move since Wright's demise. Obviously we will have to give something up here, more than likely a proven regular if we expect to get a front-line starter.

By moving a Carlos Lee for example, does the negative impact that has on our everyday lineup do more harm? I know many here are calling out El Caballo and would love to get rid of him, although I think that is hasty. I just want to know are people convinced Reed is ready to do the job? I don't know, that's why I ask.

Again, I'm all for a trade. Just want to hear the other side of it. Because you can't get something for nothing, and it will set off a ripple effect.
If Carlos would be gone tomorrow, Gload can definitely take over in left field. A 5th starter is a must as many of you have already stated the sox just can't throw away every game started by the 5th starter. That being said it's only one game and this was the one I'd figure the sox to lose. Garland's on the mound tomorrow and I really have a lot of confidence in him and hopefully the lineup can some how get to Johan.

cburns
05-22-2004, 10:07 PM
If Carlos would start hitting that would make Frank's OBP actually mean something, but I agree that someone needs to go.

RKMeibalane
05-22-2004, 10:23 PM
Originally posted by cburns
If Carlos would start hitting that would make Frank's OBP actually mean something, but I agree that someone needs to go.

If you ask me, I think KW should officially place Carlos on the trading block and sell him to the highest bidder. He still doesn't understand the concept of working pitchers or taking advantage of mistakes. Instead, Lee goes up there and swings at the first high fastball he sees.

OEO Magglio
05-22-2004, 10:26 PM
Originally posted by RKMeibalane
If you ask me, I think KW should officially place Carlos on the trading block and sell him to the highest bidder. He still doesn't understand the concept of working pitchers or taking advantage of mistakes. Instead, Lee goes up there and swings at the first high fastball he sees.
Agreed, I still don't think this offense will be consistant until one of Lee or PK is traded, right now I'd much rather it be Carlos. Not only his hitting but his baserunning is pitiful. He got lucky that the ump missed that call at first other wise he would have been picked off again and it seems every time he's on base that he's going to get picked off.

whitesoxwilkes
05-22-2004, 10:27 PM
Originally posted by Frater Perdurabo
On the MLB roster, IMHO, Lee, Konerko, Rowand and Gload are very expendable. And while I would defer to the better judgment of the scouts and minor league experts on here, I would say that any minor leaguer, other than Reed, LTP, Anderson, Sweeney, Honel and Wing are expendable if it brings the Sox a legitimate starter. And even one of these "untouchables" should be on the table if it means the Sox could get a legitimate yet rather young ace starter in return. The time to go for the jugular is now.

I'm no minor league expert, but I am ready to see LTP taken off that "untouchable" list. He's had ample opportunity to perform at the major league level, and has been abyssmal every time.

SEALgep
05-22-2004, 10:31 PM
Originally posted by RKMeibalane
If you ask me, I think KW should officially place Carlos on the trading block and sell him to the highest bidder. He still doesn't understand the concept of working pitchers or taking advantage of mistakes. Instead, Lee goes up there and swings at the first high fastball he sees. He certainly isn't about Ozzie ball. It's an attitude Carlos, get with it. :D: I agree, he hurts us more than he helps. We would be better off with Gload in left, or even calling up Reed and just let him see what he can do IMO. If not, I have no problem with Gload being out there.

beckett21
05-22-2004, 10:32 PM
Originally posted by OEO Magglio
Agreed, I still don't think this offense will be consistant until one of Lee or PK is traded, right now I'd much rather it be Carlos. Not only his hitting but his baserunning is pitiful. He got lucky that the ump missed that call at first other wise he would have been picked off again and it seems every time he's on base that he's going to get picked off.

Lee has always struck me as a lazy ballplayer. Dogging it for balls hit in the gaps, dumb baserunning mistakes, and the like.

Not trying to kick a guy when he's down here. I think he can be a very productive hitter. He just seems immature and gives me the impression that he lacks work ethic. That is pure speculation on my part, he may be a very hard worker. That is just the impression he gives me.

Of course, when he's going good, all is right with the world....

Having said all that, I would think he seems to be the odd man out here. Time will tell I guess.

beckett21
05-22-2004, 10:33 PM
Originally posted by whitesoxwilkes
I'm no minor league expert, but I am ready to see LTP taken off that "untouchable" list. He's had ample opportunity to perform at the major league level, and has been abyssmal every time.

Very true....at what point do you go from *prospect* to *career minor leaguer* ?

SEALgep
05-22-2004, 10:35 PM
Very true....at what point do you go from *prospect* to *career minor leaguer* ? Let's give it a few more years. Potential is worth it's weight in gold.

duke of dorwood
05-22-2004, 10:59 PM
Originally posted by whitesoxwilkes

Ample time at major league level?

MRKARNO
05-22-2004, 11:00 PM

You see this loss tonight? EVERY other game this year is going to be just like that. It's no use playing the season because at 1 game out we're absolutely through. It's gonna be like last year all over again, just like that four game series last year. We might as well trade Maggs, CLee, Garland, Buehrle, Valentin and Uribe.

SEALgep
05-22-2004, 11:02 PM
You see this loss tonight? EVERY other game this year is going to be just like that. It's no use playing the season because at 1 game out we're absolutely through. It's gonna be like last year all over again, just like that four game series last year. We might as well trade Maggs, CLee, Garland, Buehrle, Valentin and Uribe. We at least C Lee. Oops is that in teal? :D:

MRKARNO
05-22-2004, 11:08 PM
Originally posted by SEALgep
We at least C Lee. Oops is that in teal? :D:

I have an idea. Let's trade Carlos Lee away for a really good player I dont care who.........but instead of giving them the one that's on the major league club now, we could give them his cousin who's in A-ball or wherever. :)

OurBitchinMinny
05-22-2004, 11:12 PM
Originally posted by soltrain21
Having Reed in the lineup will benefit us alot more if it involves having 5 solid starters...

I like reed too, but I question whether or not he is ready. He's not having a great season at AAA. Last I checked he was under .300. I think his wrists are really bothering him and he should get healthy before coming to the big leagues

SEALgep
05-22-2004, 11:14 PM
I have an idea. Let's trade Carlos Lee away for a really good player I dont care who.........but instead of giving them the one that's on the major league club now, we could give them his cousin who's in A-ball or wherever. :) Actually that's his brother, but hey, it's been done before. :D:

pearso66
05-23-2004, 12:38 AM
I feel I have to defend CLee, while on the bases he may "dog" it, but I think he really hustles in the OF. Granted this is based on games I have seen, and I definitally have not seen a lot of games this year.

Also if we can get value for LTP, I'd say good riddance. I'd like to give the guy another opportunity, but we haev an abundance of corner OFers and we might as well get something before he loses all value