PDA

View Full Version : 5th starter


balboner
05-22-2004, 07:57 PM
I don't feel like I'm overreacting when I say that KW needs to get the Sox a 5th starter, and soon. The 5th starter position has been beyond bad for the last few years. The idea of starting someone who has been a reliever all year is a pretty foolish idea because you're just asking to tax your bullpen.

SEALgep
05-22-2004, 07:59 PM
This was never considered a long term solution. KW is no doubtedly working on it, but other teams need to be willing as well. Most teams feel they want to wait until the deadline. We'll see, but KW I'm sure would have had something done already if it made sense for us.

chisoxt
05-22-2004, 08:25 PM
Limited payroll or not, the fifth starter slot was dubious at best prior to the start of the season, everyone knew it, and KW did zilch to address it. Yes I give him credit for Uribe and Harris, but now, we will have to overpay just to get somebody mediocre.

SEALgep
05-22-2004, 08:29 PM
Originally posted by chisoxt
Limited payroll or not, the fifth starter slot was dubious at best prior to the start of the season, everyone knew it, and KW did zilch to address it. Yes I give him credit for Uribe and Harris, but now, we will have to overpay just to get somebody mediocre. I don't think he could have predicted Wright needing umpteen surgeries. I thought our staff look real positive going into the season, and we have/had several guys in our system that looked like they could have stepped up. Besides, it's not like everyone is cheaper in the offseason. Also, KW was exploring trade possibilities to obtain another pitcher or two. They just didn't work out. However, KW can still get it done, so I wouldn't criticize him yet. He could have forced something in the offseason that could have made us a worse club.

beckett21
05-22-2004, 08:31 PM
Originally posted by SEALgep
I don't think he could have predicted Wright needing umpteen surgeries. I thought our staff look real positive going into the season, and we have/had several guys in our system that looked like they could have stepped up. Besides, it's not like everyone is cheaper in the offseason. Also, KW was exploring trade possibilities to obtain another pitcher or two. They just didn't work out. However, KW can still get it done, so I wouldn't criticize him yet. He could have forced something in the offseason that could have made us a worse club.

Whatever KW does, and I am behind him 100%, it needs to be done yesterday.

We can still win tonight, but we cannot continue to just virtually forfeit 20% of our games. It is totally unacceptable.

SEALgep
05-22-2004, 08:34 PM
Originally posted by beckett21
Whatever KW does, and I am behind him 100%, it needs to be done yesterday.

We can still win tonight, but we cannot continue to just virtually forfeit 20% of our games. It is totally unacceptable. No doubt, but we can't just pay whatever in order to convince teams to trade with us now instead of waiting to the deadline. We have a need, and time is of the essence, but not at whatever cost. We still need to be sensible.

beckett21
05-22-2004, 08:40 PM
Originally posted by SEALgep
No doubt, but we can't just pay whatever in order to convince teams to trade with us now instead of waiting to the deadline. We have a need, and time is of the essence, but not at whatever cost. We still need to be sensible.

June is next week. The time is rapidly approaching.

I agree with you, to an extent. It is just frustrating to see the club build some momentum up and then throw a BP pitcher out there. Everybody looks like an All-Star against our 5th starter week after week after week.

I'm not saying do anything desperate or drastic, but some foundations better be going down to pave some deals whan the time is right.

SEALgep
05-22-2004, 08:58 PM
Originally posted by beckett21
June is next week. The time is rapidly approaching.

I agree with you, to an extent. It is just frustrating to see the club build some momentum up and then throw a BP pitcher out there. Everybody looks like an All-Star against our 5th starter week after week after week.

I'm not saying do anything desperate or drastic, but some foundations better be going down to pave some deals whan the time is right. I have every confidence that KW is working on it. We just have to sit back and hope we like it when it actually goes down.

Cubbiesuck13
05-23-2004, 04:39 PM
here is a question regaurding the 5th starters: who has been catching those games that the 5th starter has pitched? I would say that Alomar is better at calling a game and handling a pitcher with Olivo learing quickly. I hope that Alomar was catching most of those games because maybe that is what some of the young pitchers need to get over the hump.

jabrch
05-23-2004, 04:42 PM
I don't want a 5th starter - who needs another crappy pitcher. I want a #1 or a #2. Schoe and Garland are 4th and 5th starters. In order to be a contender to win the WS - we need a #1 or a #2.