PDA

View Full Version : Beltran?

SoxBoy14
05-22-2004, 03:44 PM
There were rumors awhile ago saying that we were near a deal getting Beltran in exchange for Rowand and some other players. Does anyone know the status on the trade?

SEALgep
05-22-2004, 03:48 PM
I'm a Rowand fan as all here know, but I would imagine that he wouldn't be the major part of that deal if it were to occur. :D:

Hangar18
05-22-2004, 03:53 PM
Im starting to hear all kinds of Rumors with Carlos Beltran involved in them. Im sure its just people getting WILD with
wishful-thinking. This morning, 2 callers in a row, asked why
the cubs arent trying to trade for Beltran. first caller said they should trade Alou now that hes hot for Beltran. Host berated callers intelligence saying why would they trade a guy they cant Sign for another guy they cant sign. That said, Im getting nervous team up north may make a Play for Beltran shortly.

2nd caller said trade alex gonzalez to KC for Beltran (again, inane fans) so Next Year, north side team can sign Nomar Garciaparra.
Host laughed that one off..........but did say Nomar probably wont go back to Boston next year.

samram
05-22-2004, 05:18 PM
Originally posted by Hangar18
2nd caller said trade alex gonzalez to KC for Beltran (again, inane fans) so Next Year, north side team can sign Nomar Garciaparra.
Host laughed that one off..........but did say Nomar probably wont go back to Boston next year.

Yeah, KC will get right on that. Maybe the Cubs should ask for Berroa too, then they would have SS taken care of too! :gulp:

Whitesox029
05-22-2004, 05:27 PM
Originally posted by SoxBoy14
There were rumors awhile ago saying that we were near a deal getting Beltran in exchange for Rowand and some other players. Does anyone know the status on the trade? To get him for Rowand and prospects would be awesome.

SEALgep
05-22-2004, 05:34 PM
Originally posted by Whitesox029
To get him for Rowand and prospects would be awesome. Depends on which prospects and how many included.

pearso66
05-22-2004, 06:39 PM
I've heard Cub fans basically saying they are getting Berroa for Farnsworth, ala nothing

SEALgep
05-22-2004, 06:43 PM
Originally posted by pearso66
I've heard Cub fans basically saying they are getting Berroa for Farnsworth, ala nothing Oh, I have had a huge argument with several Cubs fans over that one. I made them hate me, but it was worth it to set them straight. :D: Some of their fans have absolutely no clue.

Soxfest
05-22-2004, 11:10 PM
Nobody is interested in Rowand

SEALgep
05-22-2004, 11:18 PM
Originally posted by Soxfest
Nobody is interested in Rowand Maybe not to start, but that's not true that no one is interested.

lowesox
05-23-2004, 01:12 AM
I would be downright shocked if an up and coming team like Kansas City dealt their best player within the division.

Kuzman
05-23-2004, 01:42 AM
Originally posted by lowesox
I would be downright shocked if an up and coming team like Kansas City dealt their best player within the division.

im glad im not the only one.. especially a rival team.. well i guess they are in no way shape or form running for the division with thier record though..

OEO Magglio
05-23-2004, 01:44 AM
Originally posted by Kuzman
im glad im not the only one.. especially a rival team.. well i guess they are in no way shape or form running for the division with thier record though..
I'd also be quite shocked, even if they aren't in the race this year, there is always that .00001 percent chance the sox would resign him at the end of the year and I'm sure they could get just as good of a deal from another team as they could from the sox and not have to worry about him staying inside the division.

SEALgep
05-23-2004, 07:35 AM
I would be downright shocked if an up and coming team like Kansas City dealt their best player within the division. I would as well, but I imagine that doing whats best for the ball club comes first. With that said, whoever offers the best pitching prospects should win, regardless of who it is IMO.

lowesox
05-23-2004, 11:47 AM
Originally posted by SEALgep
I would as well, but I imagine that doing whats best for the ball club comes first. With that said, whoever offers the best pitching prospects should win, regardless of who it is IMO.

Sorry, but I think that's wishful thinking more than anything. If you're looking to win in the future, you not only look at ways of making your team stronger - you also look to make sure you're not improving your competition. Sorry to all those drooling over Beltran - he won't be playing on the southside this season.

SEALgep
05-23-2004, 01:42 PM
Sorry, but I think that's wishful thinking more than anything. If you're looking to win in the future, you not only look at ways of making your team stronger - you also look to make sure you're not improving your competition. Sorry to all those drooling over Beltran - he won't be playing on the southside this season. I don't think so either, but the fact is that KC isn't competing this year, and they can't stop us from picking him up as a FA anyway. Even though that is unlikely, they still will be shopping him to the highest bidder. Not saying it is going to happen, but they're about improving their club, and it does nothing to harm them long term by trading Beltran to us. It can only help if we offer the better pitching package. However, the flip side to that is, do we want to give a bit of our future to division rivals? KW has shown he is about the now, so we'll have to see. However, the point is, KC will do what is best for their club, and trading a rent a player to a division rival when they aren't competing for better pitching than anyone else offers may constitute justifying the move for them.

Lip Man 1
05-23-2004, 01:55 PM
Beltran had a conversation with the Knight-Ridder newspapers recently...the conversation was printed in my Sunday paper.

Q: Do you have a preference of where you want to wind up? Do you want to go to New York?

CB: "In my mind if I do become a free agent, I want to go to a place where I feel confident. I want to play center field. I want to have a chance to win. I've never been in the playoffs."

Q: The hottest talk has you going to the Yankees at the end of the season. Do you feel like you can handle the pressure of the Big Apple?

CB: "If you do your job then there's no problem with that."

Also in the 'whispers' section of the same story it says the injury to Troy Glaus makes the Angels a potential partner for the White Sox.

Lip

SEALgep
05-23-2004, 02:09 PM
I thought about Glaus, and he would be welcome as well no doubt, most likely next year. The Angels have expressed interet in retaining him as a DH to replace Salmon. We'll see if they can get the money to do that, but so far money hasn't stopped them. Only problem is would he replace Crede or Thomas? I guess worry about next year, unless the article implied this season?

pearso66
05-23-2004, 02:37 PM
I don't see why they wouldn't trade Beltran to us. He is a free agent at the end of the year and we have a chance to sign him then anyway. Their number 1 outlook is to improve the team for the future, and if we offer the best package, there is no reason not to trade him to us. It would be stupid of them not to

TaylorStSox
05-23-2004, 03:02 PM
Originally posted by Hangar18
Im starting to hear all kinds of Rumors with Carlos Beltran involved in them. Im sure its just people getting WILD with
wishful-thinking. This morning, 2 callers in a row, asked why
the cubs arent trying to trade for Beltran. first caller said they should trade Alou now that hes hot for Beltran. Host berated callers intelligence saying why would they trade a guy they cant Sign for another guy they cant sign. That said, Im getting nervous team up north may make a Play for Beltran shortly.

Way to spin it right back to the Cubs again and again and again and again and so on.

gosox41
05-23-2004, 04:03 PM
I don't see why they wouldn't trade Beltran to us. He is a free agent at the end of the year and we have a chance to sign him then anyway. Their number 1 outlook is to improve the team for the future, and if we offer the best package, there is no reason not to trade him to us. It would be stupid of them not to

Your logic makes sense. But of course this is the same team in 1997 that didn't want to make the White Flag Trade to any team in the AL, let alone their own division.

Bob

doublem23
05-23-2004, 10:43 PM
Originally posted by SoxBoy14
There were rumors awhile ago saying that we were near a deal getting Beltran in exchange for Rowand and some other players. Does anyone know the status on the trade?

Nonexistant... Probably.

doublem23
05-23-2004, 10:46 PM

The Sox would have to offer something significantly better to the Royals to land Beltran, IMO. Yes, you are supposed to make your team better, but at the same time they have to play the Sox 19 times per year, every year. Significantly upgrading a divisional opponent hurts your team, too.

pearso66
05-23-2004, 11:07 PM
In response to GoSox:
While we didnt want to trade to the AL in the White Flag trade, being 3 games out is a heck of a lot closer to being able to pull something off than 11 games out. Thats why I don't think its a problem, plus he's a Free Agent at the end of the year

and to Doublem:
You are right, but they've already faced us 6 times? and being 11 games out, I'm sure those other 11 wont do too much unless they win every one. And with him being a free agent, there is no guarantee that we can sign him. On the other side, why not get what you can, what if you get less from some other team, and then he signs with us or cleveland or minnesota or detroit anyway? You've just got less for yourself for not trading within the division, and he's in the division anyway.