PDA

View Full Version : Twins newspaper perspective

soxtalker
05-22-2004, 09:51 AM
I was checking the Minneapolis/St.Paul newspapers to get their perspectives on the game. Here's a link to the St. Paul newspaper. It is generally focusing on the Twins, which is to be expected. The one comment that I found particularly interesting was about the impact of the new playing surface on the Twins error problems:

Twins boot another (http://www.twincities.com/mld/twincities/8729910.htm?1c)

That has been the story for much of the season. The Twins entered Friday's game with the second-most errors in the American League, and now they have 40. For years, the Twins have prided themselves on solid fielding, which has helped them win back-to-back division championships. They ranked second in the American League in fielding last season and led the league in fewest errors and fielding percentage in 2002.

Many of the same players who contributed to those feats are still around. Part of the problem has been that some players have had difficulty adjusting to the Dome's new FieldTurf, which causes the ball to sometimes take some strange hops. Another part of the problem has been that many of the regulars have not been playing lately.

PaleHoseGeorge
05-22-2004, 09:59 AM
So what is it? Are they blaming the turf or are they blaming their injuries?

Or are they just making excuses? Next they'll want an asterisks next to the Sox in the win column???

"I'll take what is behind curtain #3, Monty!"

:whiner: :whiner: :whiner:

sas1974
05-22-2004, 10:00 AM
Originally posted by soxtalker
I was checking the Minneapolis/St.Paul newspapers to get their perspectives on the game. Here's a link to the St. Paul newspaper. It is generally focusing on the Twins, which is to be expected.

Damn media bias!!!

soxtalker
05-22-2004, 10:19 AM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge

Or are they just making excuses? Next they'll want an asterisks next to the Sox in the win column???

:whiner: :whiner: :whiner:

Or there could be some truth in what they are saying. I just hadn't seen any mention of the effects of the new playing surface in any of the Chicago papers, and I thought it an interesting perspective.

As a Sox fan, I have two reactions. The first, of course, is that I have no sympathy. That park has been such a huge home-field advantage to the Twins over the years. My second reaction is that it gives me another reason to continue to be cautious about the Twins (not that any more are really needed). If they are having some trouble getting used to the turf, that is a problem that can be expected to go away as the season progresses.

johnny_mostil
05-22-2004, 10:32 AM
Or there could be some truth in what they are saying. I just hadn't seen any mention of the effects of the new playing surface in any of the Chicago papers, and I thought it an interesting perspective.

As a Sox fan, I have two reactions. The first, of course, is that I have no sympathy. That park has been such a huge home-field advantage to the Twins over the years. My second reaction is that it gives me another reason to continue to be cautious about the Twins (not that any more are really needed). If they are having some trouble getting used to the turf, that is a problem that can be expected to go away as the season progresses.

Strange hops on the FieldTurf -- just like, uh, GRASS?

Players whose home parks were Astroturfed were always overrated.

SEALgep
05-22-2004, 10:36 AM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge

:whiner: :whiner: :whiner: Next thing they'll tell you is that their air conditioning broke, putting them at yet another disadvantage in the field.

PaleHoseGeorge
05-22-2004, 11:49 AM
Originally posted by SEALgep
Next thing they'll tell you is that their air conditioning broke, putting them at yet another disadvantage in the field.

Exactly. Bitch, bitch. Whine, whine. As TornLabrum might note, the dog would have caught a rabbit if it hadn't stopped to take a ****.

**** the Twins and all their b.s. excuses. They lost. Tough ****.

Hit 'em again. Harder. Harder.

pearso66
05-22-2004, 11:51 AM
If it's so hard adjusting to the new turf, how come the Sox aren't having any problems. I just think its excuses excuses. They aren't fielding well, practice.

Unregistered
05-22-2004, 11:58 AM
Originally posted by pearso66
If it's so hard adjusting to the new turf, how come the Sox aren't having any problems. I just think its excuses excuses. They aren't fielding well, practice. Bingo. It's not like these are 5 error games for each team with 14-12 scores. The Sox are giving the Twins an old-fashioned ass kicking. You can't tell me the turf just decides not to act strange when the Sox are fielding.

I think it's time to move on and focus on excuse #1b: "We have injuries."

raul12
05-22-2004, 11:59 AM
Originally posted by pearso66
If it's so hard adjusting to the new turf, how come the Sox aren't having any problems. I just think its excuses excuses. They aren't fielding well, practice.

Exactly. The Sox are playing on the exact same surface, and if that was correct, the Sox should have even more of a problem since it's the first time I presume that they are playing on that type of a surface.

Of course, the turf has everything to do with their horrible throws!

soxtalker
05-22-2004, 12:01 PM
Just heard an interview with a St. Paul Pioneer Press reporter on the SCORE. He mentioned the turf, but mainly emphasized the replacement players as being the source of the poor defense. He said that he noticed that the Sox seemed to be trying to prove a point. I'm not sure of the exact wording, but it sounded like he was saying that the Sox were taking the series pretty seriously. The Twins, on the other hand, were trying to make it through the first half of the season and see what they really have.

SEALgep
05-22-2004, 12:09 PM
Just heard an interview with a St. Paul Pioneer Press reporter on the SCORE. He mentioned the turf, but mainly emphasized the replacement players as being the source of the poor defense. He said that he noticed that the Sox seemed to be trying to prove a point. I'm not sure of the exact wording, but it sounded like he was saying that the Sox were taking the series pretty seriously. The Twins, on the other hand, were trying to make it through the first half of the season and see what they really have. Ya I listened to that too. We're taking the series seriously, and they are trying to just see what they have until the break? Okay, keep playing that way, we're fine with it. And what exactly are you going to do at the break, you're team has no money. They can trade Jaque Jones, but that's about it, and that hurts them IMO, even with the surgence of Lew Ford. The guy even tried to make a point that we are making a big deal about our new attitude with Ozzie, and they are yet to see it, basically. He did his best to downplay the series and the Sox in general. I guess he doesn't realize that's how our attitude was before against the Twins, and we know where that got us under JM. Although, I'm just critiquing this fan/journalist. Gardenhire is too good of a manager to fall in that trap, or at least I think so.

lowesox
05-22-2004, 12:15 PM
Personally, I read that and thought it was valid. To me, it didn't seem like the writer was making excuses - just pointing out how the new turf was affecting their defense. BUT, I love how rabid the sox fans are at WSI. We hate the enemy and their excuses - and everything means war.

I love this site.

SEALgep
05-22-2004, 12:17 PM
Originally posted by lowesox
Personally, I read that and thought it was valid. To me, it didn't seem like the writer was making excuses - just pointing out how the new turf was affecting their defense. BUT, I love how rabid the sox fans are at WSI. We hate the enemy and their excuses - and everything means war.

I love this site. I wasn't commenting on the article, I didn't read it. He was on the Score 670 AM.

Lip Man 1
05-22-2004, 12:25 PM
Soxtalker says:

"The Twins, on the other hand, were trying to make it through the first half of the season and see what they really have."

Sounds like the Manager Gandhi philosophy. If that's the case, the Twins are in big trouble.

Lip

SSN721
05-22-2004, 12:38 PM
Originally posted by SEALgep
Gardenhire is too good of a manager to fall in that trap, or at least I think so.

I agree with this, I think Gardenhire is not taking this kind of attitude at all.He is to good of a manager to just see what hes got before playing to win. I have too much respect for him to think that.

PaleHoseGeorge
05-22-2004, 12:42 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
Soxtalker says:

"The Twins, on the other hand, were trying to make it through the first half of the season and see what they really have."

Sounds like the Manager Gandhi philosophy. If that's the case, the Twins are in big trouble.

Lip

LOL! That's EXACTLY what I thought, too. Where's Mienxkiextiz to tell us how much better *team* the Twins are, and how big an advantage it was to know Manuel was the other team's manager?

Whiney, crybaby *******s... we ought to sweep them just for trying to marginalize the ass-whuppin' they've been handed so far this series.

Hey Ozzie, take a page out of Gardenhire's book...

:ozzie:
"They're not respecting us, fellas!

PaleHoseGeorge
05-22-2004, 12:45 PM
Here's betting double or nothing A.J. Pierxiznski is watching all the games inside the Giants clubhouse talking trash back to the TV, too.

:)